Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Ziploc posted:

My 97s had very good boots and perfectly fine bumps coming out at 160,000KMS. I bought FCM Bumps and boots. With Tokico Illuminas from FM.

Do you think they're still good after they've been ridden around on for several years due to the PO not realizing the shocks were blown?

Did you get FM springs too or did you use stock/some other brand? Did you use FCM bumps/boots on all 4 corners? Which bumps did you choose? I hear good things about 36mm front/46mm rear combo but I'm worried the ride might be harsh. FCM suggests 54mm progressive bumps for a "more comfortable ride". Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl
OK, as I understand it this is your setup (let me know if I missed anything):

Tokico Illuminas
Stock Springs
FCM Mounts
54mm progressive bumpstops

Also, any reason you got the Tokicos from FM? They're cheaper on eBay and other places like shox.com

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Wait Ziploc, so did you keep your stock mounts or not? I think I read FireTora's post when he mentioned FCM mounts and I confused it with your post.

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Ziploc posted:

Oh poo poo sorry. Yea stock mounts. My ride height was raised slightly by the Tokicos somehow.

Is it noticeable?

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl
On a related note, is the FM Stage 2.5 kit streetable? I wrote them an email but haven't gotten a response yet. The cost of buying all this stuff separately is adding up and maybe I should just buy it all as one package from a reputable dealer. However I am worried about having a harsh ride...

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Any suggestions before I commit to this?

FM Stage 1.5
FCM 36/46 bumps

Will this make a comfortable DD?

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Ziploc posted:

What are your goals here?

Relatively comfortable DD with the ability to handle "spirited driving" if needed, without the need for autox or track capabilities

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Ziploc posted:

I think you might be going a bit overboard getting FM springs. But you shouldn't suffer to much with them though.

What were your opinions on them after reading what people said at Miata.net? Is there something worrying you?

What's worrying me is the fact that there are too many options and not enough actual data. I wanted to do stock springs/FCM mounts + bumps/Illuminas, but I was told it would lower the car way too much. I had no idea that it would be that low and it seems that there is no clear and concise source of information.
It would be really nice to find task-oriented package suggestions: if you want a DD for comfort only do <x>, if you want a DD + tight handling do <y>, if you want an autox monster do <z>, etc. Sadly there is no such thing!

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Ziploc posted:

What was uncomfortable and wrong with your current setup? What do you want to eliminate?

I have 103k miles on my car. My shocks are totally blown. I am riding on quickly-disintegrating bumpstops. In short, my suspension needs a total overhaul because I want to eliminate my car shaking itself to pieces every time I run over a pebble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Phone posted:

Has anybody put rear speakers on the shelf where the soft top lies? I'm going to be potentially getting rid of the softtop, and buckets are just a matter of time. I'm just curious to see if anybody has put some 6.5"ers up top.

Two 8" subs in the parcel shelf. You don't even have to get rid of the soft top!