Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

brainwrong posted:

More:britain:

God green with tan looks awesome.

Also, how do you guys like my stripes? I painted them myself with like 5 layers of tremclad and alot of wetsanding, and they came out pretty awesome in my opinion.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 11, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 2, 2004

Baby Hitler posted:

You need a better helmet. Is that even strapped?

It's not mine, it's a club loaner since I am far too cheap to buy one for myself for the amount of times I'd use it. And no, it's probably not strapped because I was lazy.

Oct 2, 2004

Gear Head posted:

What is AI's opinion on mismatched hardtops? Black top on white car, red on white, etc. And why isn't an OEM making cheap hardtops :mad:

A red Miata with a black hardtop and the windshield frame painted black looks awesome. I've seen pictures, and I really like it.

Edit: Here's a blue one with a black hood as well. Looks kinda neat. Would look better with black headlight covers.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 18, 2007

Oct 2, 2004

meatpimp posted:

I've never gone through the wheelwell, always just shoved my arm down between the manifold and frame rail and I've never had any issue, apart from a couple scrapes.

I do it this way all the time. I admit I like the Fram filters with the gripping stuff on them for this reason alone.

Oct 2, 2004

mobn posted:

My Miata is a '94 with 129k on the clock and it's running strong. The only work I've done besides oil changes was a belt that had started to dry rot a bit. Absolutely no mechanical problems whatsoever.

I can't promise your experience will be identical, but most other Miata owners' stories will be similar.

My '90 has just under 150k KM on it, and all it's needed repair wise is the alternator belt, the timing belt, and I'm putting a new clutch in since mine is slipping badly right now.

Oct 2, 2004

Elysium posted:

searches lead me to believe a pro could do it in under half an hour easy). I got the Tokico slave from FM for about $50.

I've done it once, and now that I know what I'm doing, I could probably do it in half an hour if I need to again. It's really easy.

Oct 2, 2004

Gear Head posted:

Saw an NA Miata on the cover of a car magazine that was the same color as mine.

Obviously I had no choice but to buy the magazine.

I bought that for the same reason a couple weeks back. I also wanted it for the clutch replacement walkthrough.

Oct 2, 2004

Guinness posted:

Capital idea. Can't believe that hadn't hit me. I'll have to do that. Thanks!

Just like everyone else there, sanding it down and respraying it makes it looks alot nicer. I don't know why the paint comes off of those things so easily, but I see it all the time.

Oct 2, 2004

Ziploc posted:

Anyone have any experience repairing the rust under the doors? Where to go? What to expect? What to ask for?

Are you talking about the rockers? God my driver's side one is looking terrible lately. No money to do anything there to help either. :gonk:

Oct 2, 2004

What are some good tires that have pretty good grip but last alot longer than those 8-9k Azenis? I need new tires come spring, and I've been told Azenis over and over, but I can't afford to put new tires on it every year.

Oct 2, 2004

Let us know what's going on when you found out.

My '90's been leaking coolant near the front on the drivers side, and I've been neglecting it because it's cold and snowy out there. :smith: I need to figure out where it's coming from. It's past due for a coolant flush anyhow, so I'll be doing that at the same time.

Oct 2, 2004

destructo posted:

Some sweet pictures from this years Karuizawa (more here:http://picasaweb.google.com/brusasan)

This yellow and black one looks really awesome to me.

Oct 2, 2004

The corner of the seat above the console works perfectly fine for a cupholder. Just use that spot and stop complaining. :colbert:

Oct 2, 2004

Ziploc posted:

What makes the Miata pretty good is 50/50 weight balance. Sudden Infant Deaf Syndrome winter drove an open diff car and as far as I know he didn't have any problems either.

The only problem that pops up is when you get hung up in deep snow. Which happens a lot. :(

Oct 2, 2004

Brain Issues posted:

Did you run winter tires? Because on some all-seasons (which usually did alright atleast in the wet) mine under-steered right into a median in only about a half inch of snow after only popping the clutch while going down a tiny slope exiting a parking lot and it bent the poo poo out of the lower left front control arm, but thats all. Brakes didn't do anything (no ABS) even though I pumped them, it happened so slowly but nothing I tried would change my direction. That sucked, and Ive never had a problem in the winter in any other vehicle with all seasons.

Yeah, I had two year old random-brand tires I bought from a totaled Corolla or something that had the same lug pattern I needed. Winter King or something equally bad sounding. Worked just fine for what I needed.

Oct 2, 2004

When some jackass punched my fender in with their car, it was far enough back that the door couldn't open. :(

Luckily, the nice guy at the shop where I was having my gas tank welded up pulled it out for free. :)

Oct 2, 2004

Ziploc posted:

I lose a bit at autocross. But I've never noticed any blue smoke at high RPM from any Miatas. We average about 5-7 Miatas per event.

Other than mine. Oh god it burned so much at autox. :gonk:

Oct 2, 2004

-Inu- posted:

Also, anything that can be done about wind noise with the top up? With the soft top up the car is noisy as poo poo around 70-80 mph. I'm guessing the only way to fix it is with a hard top?

I found it's noisier with the hardtop. (Is it because the hardtop reflects sound while the softtop absorbs it?) The car's got little to no sound deadening, so it's going to be noisy all the time.

Oct 2, 2004

televiper posted:

Wedge in at least half, leave the trunk lid open, drive sanely. Use a bungee if you've got one. Done.

Or strap it to the trunk lid with ratchet straps. I did this while camping with a hockey bag. It was awesome, because it more than doubled my storage capacity. I did however get terrible mileage.

Oct 2, 2004

I turned the holes from the visors into small interior lights. You can tap off the lights already in the interior, and run lines up the a-pillar and across into the slots. It's not a lot of light, but it adds a bit, and you don't get much to start with.

Oct 2, 2004

Moruitelda posted:

I'm confused as to what you're referring to when you say "passenger side wing."

Oct 2, 2004

Just get a cap for it. Looks much nicer without any antenna.

(That one is kinda ugly; I've seen nicer looking ones.)

Oct 2, 2004

FireTora posted:

$3 sink drain plug I got a home depot and painted.

Yeah, that one is great looking. Other than filling the hole and painting, that looks like the best way.

Oct 2, 2004

Ziploc posted:

We bypassed the fuse and it works for now. I think I might leave it unplugged though since I only use it when without an iPod. A motor like that can't get hot enough to cause fire right?

Can you not de-solder the blown fuse, get a similar fuse from eBay or something and solder it back into place? I suppose the trick would be finding out what amp the fuse blows at. Even though there's like a million diagrams out there for Miatas, I doubt any of them go that in-depth.

Oct 2, 2004

I could tell a huge difference going from my heavy winter steelies to my light Daisys. It really woke the car up. I didn't have good tires really, so that wasn't the difference.

Oct 2, 2004

To who was asking, 225/50 will definitely rub. That was the size of the tire on the MX-3 wheels I bought and they rubbed. No lowering or anything.

Oct 2, 2004

I'd always wanted to convert one of those bike hoists to lift the top off and store it basically hanging from the roof of the garage. Never got around to it; I just picked it up and hung it on the wall which can be a little tricky with one person.

E: Like this:

Oct 2, 2004

Lyesh posted:

I don't think they're gonna get a measurement other than "0 torque."

Welp, that's an import for yah.

Oct 2, 2004

Neat

Oct 2, 2004

I drove my Miata year round in Southern Ontario. I pretty much kept the hardtop on from November to April except for a few times to go snow drifting in parking lots. It's a lot more fun with the roof off.

I would have loved a sunroof in my hardtop.

Oct 2, 2004

Edit: Dammit

Oct 2, 2004

Miatas demand a higher price in Canada. I bought a '90 with 115k on it for $6000, and sold it three years later for $4500 with around 200k on it. And it sold in like 6 hours - in the middle of January.

Oct 2, 2004

The best part about zippered windows is how easy it is to get into the car when you lock your keys inside while camping!

Oct 2, 2004

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Who goes camping in a miata?

edit: This isn't a gay joke I'm missing because I'm american, is it? I bet it is...

I have, and Ziploc has. I didn't take pics, but I strapped a hockey bag to my trunk lid and had double the regular storage. It was awesome.

Miatas are awesome camping vehicles, as long as it's an actual campground and not just hiking into a forest somewhere.

Oct 2, 2004

Geoj posted:

Sure, I'll bite - why would you lock the car with a zippered window installed...?

All I was saying is that I accidentally locked my keys in the car and we got into it by unzipping the back window and crawling through it.

Oct 2, 2004

Did you just drive straight into a curb at 20 mph?

Oct 2, 2004

I think the :haw: grill really makes the pre-facelift NCs look much more like the original, and better in my opinion.

Oct 2, 2004

I think it changed last night. I logged on this morning and could've sworn the title was megathread at least yesterday.

Oct 2, 2004

They look really good. What kind of paint did you use? Wheels take a beating from rocks and dust, so unless it's really strong stuff I would imagine it would scratch ff pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 2, 2004

If you're interested, go now. It's probably already sold. Everyone looks out for M-editions, and with some nice suspension upgrades, this will sell really fast.