Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
That's kind of trolly, people get carryout all the time. And 240sx drivers (at least in my experience) learn to not order combo meals with a drink. I imagine it's the same with Miata drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Calling on this at 9:01 AM tomorrow.

https://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/d/arvada-2005-mazda-mazdaspeed-mx-grand/7480552555.html

Any thoughts? I'm nervous about the '5 speed swap' and want to ask about that. Why would somebody do that? didn't these come with a 6? or was this an automatic?

Rest of the thing looks clean and shiny.

e: 100% pleasure purchase, i don't really ever have to drive and when i do have to, i got my Expedition.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 9, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, it's got modest ModZzZz so i'm going to look very very closely to try to find any evidence of a Golden Screwdriver being applied. if it drives nice, thinking about furrowing my brow about the transmission swap and topping out at 12,5-12,8 cash. Any shortlist of things that commonly go fucky?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hmm, noticed the ABS light on and the engine appears to be at operating temp in that one pic so it probably wasn't just-started-up. I'm kind of cooling on this one; the color's gorgeous but i have Some Questions now. Will go in level-headed and since it's strictly a toy idea, i'm totally fine with walking. Feeling this is more of an 11-11.5 thing, i'll be more solid on my offer range after I get answers for that and the gearbox swap.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
OK, so, some baseline statements:

* I want a white miata RF
* I can and will be paying cash
* I am terrified of dealers and their loving shenanigans. I am awful at poker.

What is my approach to get the best prices on a ND? Should I play dumb and slow when they quote me a price (assuming some stupid 15% interest on their side) and then be all "sounds good i'll have a check here tomorrow" and then fight it out? This is so adversarial. I hate dealers. I got owned hard on a Subaru and don't want to get hosed again.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Also, like, the primary seller of RFs in Denver seems to be Carvana. How much paranoid bullshit should i stack on top of my extant i-hate-car-dealers mood to be able to stand up to them? Literally do not know. help friends

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Been hunting and a 2021 showed up at what looks to be a nice price? Might go take a look this weekend/next week.

https://www.urbanmotors.com/VehDetail.aspx?Veh=2021_Mazda_MX-5_Miata_RF&stk1=70258&dlr1=1445&wsid=269&mk=Mazda

Given that i'll just be giving a bank check (no financey no sir) is there anything special I should be aware of, look at, pay attention to? The last thing I bought at a dealer was a 2012 forester that i ended up hating, so i kinda PTSD blocked the whole experience out.

e: what the heck is that shift knob lol

e2: I guess i'm not 100% clear what i'm giving up with club trim vs a grand touring package here. I think the GT has wireless carplay? (I don't mind plugging in)

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 25, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i was kind of worried that somebody changed anything at all on it, gotcha.

Kind of want to hold out (or just shell out) for red, anyways

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Got pinged by a local dealer. What do we think of $37,500 (including destination fee, not including TTL) for a 2023 RF in soul red and GT trim? Still on the boat but he said I can throw a deposit at it. At this point I think throwing an extra 3-4k at something that's never been farted in and has the full warranty is worth it over 2019+ used prices.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Colorado has that nifty thing where if you hit enough freeway onramps in a year where they set their Magic Camera up on the side, they send a "youre good for the next 2 years of emissions" card and you don't have to go in and get your car farts sniffed in the shop. Kinda cool

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

quote:

Using infrared and ultraviolet beams of light, RapidScreen testing equipment can analyze the exhaust of a passing vehicle in less than a second. By simply driving by RapidScreen testing vans, drivers of clean-running, low-polluting vehicles can have their emissions testing done on the fly.

Maaaaagic imaging stuff. It's pretty neat. My guess is the UV looks for particulates and the IR is analyzing temp, which can be mapped to NOx i think

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
NE (2026 iirc?) gonna be a hybrid at the very least. keep that in mind.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hard to say. I will take a guess they'll do some dual-clutch paddle business

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that money :stare: congrats

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
will most likely be an official member of the cult tomorrow evening

found a 2020 RF GT in black, 10k mi, still smells new and paint has no chips or scratches.

i test drove a red '23 today and man they're fun cars. i think the red is a bit much for me personally though, i ended up liking the black one better.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cult is now officially +1

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Initial morning-after reviews:

* No sinking pit of regret when I woke up
* literally the best shifter i've ever touched. several times i thought i only got it down to neutral from 1 or 3, but was actually already in 2/4
* stereo is insane for some reason? Really good, hahah
* Power is just right, any less and it'd be a waste of a pretty car, any more and i'd waste the pretty car. And i'm at 5k-6k elevation here so it's down 20hp, i bet it's even yippier down at sea level.

Now thinking of money to spend on it. Dash cams are hot these days eh? Seems wise.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hell yeah. thanks!

First $ thrown at it - ordered a Viofo A129 Duo dash cam with the harness and a well-regarded fuse tap kit, and a stubby AM/FM. Just need it to listen to traffic now that i have ~~~ caaaar plaaaaay ~~~~

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

that's like 3000 times nicer, perfect

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah the rears just have a cable to the rear so it's tuck-under-trim time. no big deal for me

Next challenge: I got a stubby on the way for am/fm but i'm thinking of repurposing the shark fin antenna's hole for a VHF ham antenna and putting a little radio in it. I'll have to dig and see if I can find the hole dimensions; i have a suspicion I can just use a regular through hole NMO mount, though I do want to be careful and use a small antenna so I don't bend the aluminum.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Dash cam installed, front and rear. All wires completely hidden; pulled switched 12v off fuse 5, constant off fuse 9.

Got a copyright claim on the video so i reckon the mic is good, eh

1440p's pretty nice actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruRSbjvoKF4

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
T+10 days i love it more every day

i got a wash setup (two buckets, two pump up garden sprayers cause i don't have a hose) and it easily does the whole car with water leftover

Hit it with some of that spray on buff off """ ceramic nanoparticle """ stuff, put a decent shine on it

took er up to lookout mountain west of Denver. lol, curvy 25mph stuff is so fun and you don't even really have to be going that fast to enjoy it

Got the clutch and shifter figured out, my rev match is good now. Haven't stalled it yet!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
2020 ND2 kit aka carry a roadside assistance policy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah that kit is to get you out of a dangerous situation and get you home so you can get a new tire put on.

i'd probably never run a patched tire on one of these things anyways

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
XM/Sirius antenna: gone (gently caress off to hell)

Dual band ham antenna for the radio I got in yesterday: installed

No additional holes, waterproof, looks like a little RC car now.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ah thats unlicensed CB, which is pretty much that. ham stuff is much more formalized and there's good chatter to help eat up highway miles, plus they're renowned for being roadside rescue types if i'm out of cell range or something

i'll post pics of the install when the rest of the parts come in. Little control head up on the dash (smallest one i could find) plus i'll be running an 8 gauge power run alllll the way back to the trunk. Not my first rodeo doing car wiring tho.

Also my uniden DFR9 with remote mute button comes in tomorrow, so that's going in as well. gotta have a decent fuzzbuster - though i will confess, i set the car's 'you're speeding!' ding to 10 over, and it's really good at helping me keep my foot out of it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Finished my project. if you're curious about what to do with the ND[2] trunk lid hole when you rip off the stupid shark fin

you can install a ham radio in your impractical tiny car!

I ran 8 gauge wire all the way back (insanely easy - hood latch cable hole had extra room in the firewall; rest was similarly straightforward). 50 amp fuse under the hood:

Featuring a cameo by SOUND TUBE

Now i can listen to and talk to old nerds when i'm in my car for old nerds

Final thing is wiring up the radar detector with the nice harness with the mute button and such - because dear god does it need it. There are so many fuckin robot doors and lane departure radars out there

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 9, 2023

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thoughts on window tint for a (black) nd2? it might look a bit more murdered with the top up but i have concerns with it looking stupid if top is down and windows are up

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah i may go lighter with it (co lets you do any window, live free or die bithc)

pickin up smoked side markers this week i think

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have decided to nip the ND body roll in the bud a bit before i put too many more miles on and get used to it. was considering flyin miata's swaybar kit. Is this one day driveway install tier stuff? I think so but want to make sure i dont get trapped with "oh you gotta drop the motor to install this" type gotchas. Also do I need an alignment afterwards or nah?

edit: i'm an idiot, didnt see they have install instructions online. i'm good.

edit2: poo poo, i gotta get these wheel locks off first. didnt ask the dealer about a key bc i didnt notice

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 28, 2023

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
anybody got a line on OEM style wind deflectors for the ND? I want to buy a second one and definitely won't be attempting to etch a kpop band logo into it and edge lighting it

Found a couple of options but each one seems to have a little flaw or issue or screw you gotta install

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
vanity plates came in, the gods smiled

(if you recall i'm also a ham radio dude, so it's two jokes in one)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
First paycheck at new jobs means time to dump money into a perfectly good car!

FM swaybars ordered.

e: are we still just hammering a blown out socket on to wheel locks we didn't get the keys for? i'll order a replacement set but not sure if these were Mazda factory or just aftermarket whatever

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
imo no way, unless you're ok with picking up a stanced repo. i did 33.5 for my 2020, i've seen some down in the 25-27 range but they were high miles or had questionable poo poo bolted on

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
FM swaybars are here (faaaaast shipping). Jack stands, locking lugnut remover kit and new locking lugs (Dealer either didn't have or didn't give me the key) are out for delivery. Just gotta get a jack this week and i can do the bars this weekend.

They also responded to my inquiry quickly and said that they'll have the fancy controller for the Hush-O-Matic back in stock at the end of the month, so when that is around i'm gonna pick up the muffler, midpipe and controller.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i feel stupid asking, but google seo spam is murdering my morning.

does anybody have a concise list of bulb sizes for the exterior of a 2020 rf? i couldnt find in the manual, and i want to LED it out, i hate incandescents. i'm close on tail lights but not sure if i need the all-red ones or the red/amber combo jobbies. I've got LED side markers and side turns, just need front/rear now.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
drat not a bad idea!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wanted a big mac

was snowing

didnt care

lil traction control workout

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
PO put the nice red ones from FM or w/e on my ND and the doors feel grrreat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
basically chewing on a stick waiting for flying miata to get their hush-o-matic controller back in stock (they said any day now) and then i'm gonna do muffler + midpipe + controller