Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Edit:^^^I'm 6'3" and 290 pounds and I fit in my Miata fantastically. There's really no way to know until you sit in one.

Schwack posted:

On a 94 NA is it possible to find a car equipped with a LSD without having the A package equipment?

Maybe if someone optioned it that way. Mine's a C Package and it has the Torsen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

PancakeTransmission posted:

Oh man, do I have a bizarre problem. Driving a '90 MX5, it's Right Hand Drive (Australian). While driving the other day, whenever I would turn corners, water would spray (it would make a slight hissing noise) into the passenger side footwell. Coming from under the dash, behind the glove box, bit hard to describe. Near the fan that's under there.

It would do it more if I turned left (tilting the car towards the passenger side). In the engine bay, the A/C pipes lead into the car on the passenger side, so maybe it is one of those. Maybe it's the A/C water drain being broken or something? I honestly don't know. On the saturday (when it started doing it), I turned off my A/C. On my short sunday drive to the shops it still did it a little, and I didn't drive it again till today, when no more water came out. A/C is still off. My wiper reservoir is also empty but I really doubt that it's the cause.

My Girlfriend said the water was cold when it came out. It was mostly clean, the dirt I saw could have just been from the floor mat.

I just now did some googling and found this for a different model Mazda : "water leaking into passenger-side foot well due to deformed rubber seal at bottom of evaporator case"

Could this be it? How hard is it to replace (in terms of finding the seal, access to evaporator case)?

Anyway, I found that helldump thread hilarious.

I had this exact problem and it was just some clogged drain hoses and such in the AC system. Just have a shop clean it out.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

MourningGlory posted:

I don't understand how anyone over 6' can drive a Miata comfortably. I'm only 5'9" with relatively short legs and I have zero extra leg room and the steering wheel nearly always rubs my legs. And that's after a massive foamectomy in both the bottom and back of the driver's seat.

It's all about proportions. I'm 6'3" and I have about half an inch of clearance on either side of the wheel for my legs. I'm pretty autistic, though, so I love enclosed spaces. I feel more comfortable in the Miata than in any of the boats I drove in high school.

Worse comes to worse and my legs thicken up with the lifting I've been doing, I'll buy a smaller momo wheel and some racing buckets.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

warwick5s posted:

The Miata I had was also a touring package. :( Having headrest speakers seems to be a good indicator across the NA range whether it was a package with Torsen or not.

The headrest speakers are also extremely bitchin', but make it hard for me to get myself to put in buckets, because I know I'll miss my music not sounding like utter poo poo.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
edit:^^^ You must really abuse the poo poo out of those, because I've had mine on for about 7 months now and I'm barely even 1/5 of the way into the usable tread.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Who the hell has them in 185/60-14 or 195/55-14?

No one. That's why I have a set on my 15" Enkei RPF-1s for spring-fall, and a set of Nokians on the stock 14s for winter.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Cenuji posted:

Sounds cool, especially since it makes a Miata look practical. Are they as well known as Lotus in the UK?

Well, Vauxhall is one of GM's UK marques, and given the police there drive Vauxhalls, I'd say they're fairly well known.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Gear Head posted:

What is AI's opinion on mismatched hardtops? Black top on white car, red on white, etc. And why isn't an OEM making cheap hardtops :mad:

Two-tone can work is you match the right colors.

And there's a few aftermarket hardtop companies, but none of them look as good as the Mazda one, and most of them don't work with the various roll bars and such out there.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

A red Miata with a black hardtop and the windshield frame painted black looks awesome. I've seen pictures, and I really like it.

Edit: Here's a blue one with a black hood as well. Looks kinda neat. Would look better with black headlight covers.

Is that some sort of fake intake on the headlight cover? It's a shame, 'cuz with just the two-tone that thing'd have been gorgeous. I'm thinking about getting a black hardtop for mine, but I don't think I'd paint the windshield frame.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

leica posted:

That's a fair price for sure. 94's are coveted because the are the only Miata with a 1.8 and OBD-1. In 95 they went to OBDII.

I love the '94s because they get the 1.8 and Torsen, but they hadn't started gaining weight like a divorcee eating her feelings yet.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Psylocibe posted:

You know what?

Not to poo poo in AI's collective Cheerios, but I finally got to drive the Fabled Miata today.

And I was left sorely dissapointed :(

It was an NA, forgot the year, and even with the seat adjusted as best I could, there wasn't even remotely close to the right amount of room for me. I was wrapped around the steering wheel and column. No problem, eh, I figured I would keep in mind the foam thing everyone kept talking about. Except for the fact I had enough head room. I simply wore the steering wheel. And the door panels. And the center console. I took it out on the road, and it just felt....meh. Hardly any get up and go. I'll bet it'll be fun to toss around in corners, but seriously, I'm just going to stick to my E30 vert for my convertible needs. It's got far more grunt (maybe it just seemed that way, at least compared to the car I drove), a way better exhaust note, far more useable interior room, the only difference is it's a 4 seater and not two.

Sorry, AI :(

I'm glad you prefer a high-power heavy sedan over a lightweight capably-handling roadster. Apples and oranges, eh? Sounds like you had no idea what kind of car you were loving getting into before you actually tried it out. Of course it's not going to go like your Bimmer, but a capable driver in a Miata will embarrass you on the track, and that's what this car is all about.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

grover posted:

I swung by the dealership today; that had a 2003, 2006 and 2008 on the lot. I did NOT like the NB, I quite simply didn't fit. And found the roof to be difficult compared to the other cars I'm considering. I absolutely loved both NCs though- comfortable, easy one-handed roof (even if it is manual), good visibility with the roof up, plenty of cupholders and most importantly- ample leg room. If I was 6'2 or 20lbs heavier, I might have an issue, but I fit and was able to move my legs without having me knees against the column. No need to rip out the visors either ;) Compares favorably to the Boxster in the comfort department. It was rush hour so I didn't bother test-driving it, but I might this weekend.

I agree that the na and nb tops are more difficult, but I absolutely love that the Miata sticks with the manual top. Why add unnecessary weight when you only have to turn around to grab the top?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

AkrisD posted:

HAHAHAHA. Just caught this little tidbit in GBS thread where girl thinks boyfriend is gay.

"-He spends a lot of money and time on two cars, neither of which are really nice. One is a Honda Del Sol and the other is a Miata. Mark says this is self-explanatory and that they are both chick cars (funny because I drive a toyota truck) and only a gay dude would drive them. Chris says he "races" them but the only racing I ever see is him putting on a helmet and some blue tape for a number and driving around this stupid parking lot every month or so with a bunch of dudes. I don't think it's racing."

Holy poo poo, lol. That guy needs to find a girlfriend who appreciates his hobby.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

duep posted:

Guys, my old car has broken down again and I feel like replacing it with a miata.
Thing is though, the ones I can afford have ~100k-135k on the clock already and are about 15 years old.
Would you still recommend a miata this old or will keeping it on the streets ruin me financially ?
The one I'm currently eyeballing does have new breaks, a new clutch and a new timing belt.
I would be keeping it for another 3-4 years perhaps and drive about 10k a year.

My Miata is a '94 with 129k on the clock and it's running strong. The only work I've done besides oil changes was a belt that had started to dry rot a bit. Absolutely no mechanical problems whatsoever.

I can't promise your experience will be identical, but most other Miata owners' stories will be similar.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

chem42 posted:

I bought a '92 with a snapped timing belt last year. I had a 3 angle valve job done on the head and bolted it back together with new gaskets and belts and ran the piss out of it before selling it at the start of this semester. It had 226k miles when I got rid of it and still loved to be wound out to the redline. I drove it from southern Louisiana to St Louis with a clogged radiator and the heater blasting in early august without any problems and averaged 34mpg at about 80mph. The PO was a friend of mine and it ran great before the valve job, but it was noisy.

Valve noise is common in these cars, dont let it keep you from buying one in otherwise good condition.

You're completely lying about that mileage unless you drive the most stripped out Miata ever. At 80mph you'd be spinning nearly 4500rpms, possibly 5000. There's no way you were pulling off more than 25-30 MPG, and 30's optimistic.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Baby Hitler posted:

Road trips with only stops for fuel can highly exceed normal mileage, I used to push into the 50s in my Charade when it was only rated like 40 highway. Old 1.6s with proper tire pressure and in good mechanical condition can get suprising fuel economy, despite the fact they don't have the best fuel management (run rich).

edit: The car on the verge of overheating might have helped too, higher engine temperatures lead to better power if the intake air is kept at the same temp, ignoring onset of detonation.

It's time to start checking my engine thoroughly, then, because on 43 south (a very very straight shot between Waukesha and Beloit), I'm barely managing 22-25mpg, and I put it in cruise control at 80mph.

Of course, as helldump was eager to point out, it's possible my "immense" weight is damaging mileage.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

destructo posted:

I feel that cruise control doesn't moderate the throttle terribly well, I'd give it a shot without and see if it makes a difference. Waukesha huh, Carrol College?

Yup. I used to do the run without cruise control, but honestly, I haven't noticed a difference in mileage with or without, and I'm lazy so I do the trip on cruise unless there's construction going on.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

destructo posted:

Hate to derail, but do you know Chris Myatt? He's on the soccer team.

No, sorry. The only sports guys I know are the football guys who are in the weightroom on Thursdays. What year is he?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

IOwnCalculus posted:

Clearly your idea of beater is different than mine:

There's not $1k in depreciation to even be had when the car is barely worth $1k :v:

That's not even a beater. All its body panels are still the same color and all the wheels match!

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

IOwnCalculus posted:

Not shown: Duct-taped left taillight, bent wheels, dragging / melted rear under-bumper trim, clamped-on tailpipe extension to keep it from melting the bumper again

A man after my own heart. My old Taurus had three different colored body panels, a back hatch (it was a wagon) that only the glass would open on, and a different wheel at each corner (it ate tires in fun and exciting ways). It also had nonfunctioning power windows, so you had to leave them a bit cracked or a bit up so you could pull them up or push them down with your hands.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Binger Banger posted:

edit: People have cupholders in their miatas?

Mine sure as hell doesn't have one. Some people flip around the top of the ash tray to turn it into a sort of cup holder (it'll hold a 20oz soda bottle), but that's where I keep my change.

TooLShack posted:

Some interesting news for the NC owners.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/mazda-talk/viewtopic.php?t=883

Wow, no thanks. For that money, I'll stick with Flyin' Miata's turbo kit.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Phone posted:

Looks like I'm getting some sways this year :v:

I've got their sways. I'd suggest you also get new end links at the same time, since you'll have the sways off anyway, and fully adjustable end links do make a bit of difference with the thicker sways.

Well, that, and if your car is like mine, we had to blowtorch the bolts off of the endlinks because they were so rusty. So you'll want new ones anyway.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

leica posted:

Aftermarket sways just make Miatas understeer. So what it the car has a bit of body roll.

Mine's still dead neutral. The FM sways are adjustable, so you just have to make the back a bit stiffer than the front. I could make it oversteer if I wanted to (but gently caress, snow's coming, so no way).

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Savington posted:

:words:

So you're going to be coming to Wisconsin to help me out once I get the money together to go turbo, right?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

destructo posted:

WHY HASN'T EMILIO BUILT THIS YET :argh:

edit: Hmm, looks like we have a chopped MR2 top here

That red one is like a little FD. Very nice.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Phone posted:

What would cause a rough idle out of nowhere? It used to just be silent at like 800rpm, now it sits and drops to like 600 and the car rumbles like one of those vibrating mattresses.

I had that happen and it was just in need of a new air filter.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

vex posted:

I've got an OEM hardtop, no headliner, no rear defrost. It takes maybe ten minutes to totally defrost the rear window with the front vents on defrost. The car may be noisy without a headliner, but honestly, it's a cheap, light-ish convertible. If you truly think you need a quiet cockpit there's a sea of Chrysler Sebrings out there for you.

Hey Vex, do you still want my roll bar? I shot you an email, but maybe it didn't go through or something.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Well, my mom can't loving drive on snow and she backed into my 94 and hosed up the driver's side door and front quarterpanel. As a result, she's agreed to pay for new panels for the whole car (because she's awesome). How lame would it be for me to get it painted Competition Yellow Mica when these panels go on? I love that color, but Miatas never came in it.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

leica posted:

So did you get the 95M?

Don't bother with glass unless you're doing a NB top swap (NB tops are glass only anyway). When you lower/raise the top on an NA, you have to unzip/zip the rear window first and a glass window makes it a pain in the rear end because the glass is heavy and awkward when trying to zip it up (compared to plastic). The NB top does not require messing with the window, and goes down and up in one motion. It may not seem like a big deal, but after dealing with the top enough, the NB top makes it seem ten times better. Not to mention, lots of people have issues with glass windows because the weight of the glass tends to rip out the stitches of the zipper over time. My mother in law had this issue and just got a new top with a plastic window, and now she doesn't have a hard time with it anymore.

IMO, if you are just getting the window replaced I would go with plastic. If you want to replace the top, do an NB swap, you can do it yourself (it's super easy) and there's nothing better than OEM top quality, even slightly used.

For what it's worth, I have a glass window on my NA, and aside from it being far too small to see anything out of, I love it.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

leica posted:

I'd just rip it out if I lived up north, especially if it's a toy and not a daily driver. But it depends I guess....If the summers get brutal, it's nice having A/C.

My next Miata will be totally stripped of all that poo poo, but it won't be a DD. :)

I too considered ripping out the AC, but then I realized that on rainy summer days when I'm forced to put the top up, it can get loving hot in there without AC.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Phone posted:

Well, out with the old, and in with the older. :gonk:

Got a 1994 A-Pkg with my insurance money. It seems to be OK, but I do have my work cut out for me. Tomorrow the hardtop goes on, and hopefully by the end of the week I'll have the factory 14x6 alloys wrapped in some 185/65/14 Falken Ziexs I've had lying around since November with an alignment to boot.

3400 OTD for an A-pkg with 145k miles and Koni yellows :ssh:. I didn't make off like a thief, but it isn't god awful.

I cannot say enough good things about the Toyo Proxes T1-Rs. I have a set on my 1994 C-Package (although I'm running 15" Enkei RPF-1s because they're lighter than the stock alloys) and they are awesome, even in hardcore wet conditions. I drove way more aggressively than I should have during the heavier rains this summer and I couldn't even make the tires chirp, much less lose grip.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Vitamin J posted:

These are good tires, but they don't last very long. I had some 195/45/14 T1-Rs, they didn't even last the whole summer! I think I got 10k miles out of them.

I had mine on all summer and I delivered pizza in the Miata and they still definitely have a couple more seasons left in them. You either tracked your Miata, drive like a total rear end, or your car is putting down more power than a normal Miata.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Vitamin J posted:

I did one autocross on them and 4 laps of a track. I do like to corner and I push my Miata further than the average driver I'm sure. I'm still able to get more life out of other high performance tires than the T1-Rs

I don't think they're intended to be high performance track tires though. They're intended for street driving. I'm unsurprised that you wore them out faster if you participated in any kind of motorsport on them.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Luxmore posted:

Well I picked up my Miata yesterday from the garage, after being off the road since mid-November when it was rear-ended by some retard in his pimped-out Altima. It seems to be doing all right so far, and I got a new paint job out of it, so I guess it wasn't all bad.

Although I wish they'd left the stupid Mazda "toilet seat" logo off the front bumper when they replaced it :ssj:

No kidding.

I love the old Mazda logo. I think it's unique and not a lot of people recognize it which is neat.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Luxmore posted:

No the old Mazda logo is neat:

They're all great. I'd love to have a couple loose copies of each of their badge designs, including all that random Eunos stuff and individual model badges.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I'm beginning to suspect that my Miata is in need of an alignment. It's been dancing around all over the place lately. What are some good settings that are a decent compromise between handling and tire wear?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

amadeo posted:

Speaking of windows, my '96 has power windows. They go down very, very slowly. Is this normal, or do I need to replace the motor or something? I've never driven a Miata with power windows before this one, but they can take a long time to get up or down. And when I roll them both down at the same time, they can take even longer - probably around 20+ seconds for both windows to go all the way down together. Any advice? I don't imagine that this is normal.

Mine do this when it's extremely cold. If it doesn't get better come warm weather, you may need to clean the contacts on the switch or lubricate the window.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Coredump posted:

I haven't had a chance to read all this thread yet, only halfway through. BUT, how the hell are you 6+ footers fitting in these drat cars? I went to find a NB yesterday to sit in at a couple of dealerships. They all jerked me around because I guess I don't look like a serious car buyer. I finally got frustrated and went to a Mazda dealership to see if they had any older NB's in stock.

When I got there of course they didn't have any. I still decided to take the opportunity to sit in an NC even though I know they are a lot roomier inside than an NB. Now I'm only 5'10" on the best of days and I had the seat all the way back and leaned back as far as it would go. If I slouched in the seat I was okay but I sat up straight I was in the roof. This was a soft top also.

Is there really that much room to be gain with a NB and foamectomy? Does anyone here have aftermarket seats in their car? Does it give you a lot more room? I admit I'm a fat fucker but I have room around the steering wheel and all the other places being a fat fucker would cause problems. I just can't believe how hard my head is in the roof of this thing.

If only 240's were not impossible to find.

I am 6'3.25" and I fit in my NA just fine. It all has to do with your proportions. If you have too much leg or too much torso you will not fit, but if you're pretty evenly distributed you'll be fine.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Slopehead posted:

Hey gentlemen I am considering purchasing my first Mazda Miata. I have always had good luck with Mazdas, my Protege just went past 180 K but I am in need of something with a little bit more pep. a local dealership has a rather fetching 1996 Miata . I ran a carfax which comes up clean. It's been driven at an average of 10K a year and has no reported body damage.

I spoke to the dealer briefly who stated that as it is an auction vehicle there are no service records. Despite this I will still be taking a look at the vehicle tomorrow.

Am I out of my mind here? Edmunds posts the dealer TMV (base) at #3581, but the M Edition (leather seats) at $4,356. If this is indeed the M and has leather seats it would be right in the TMV and a great deal, right?

I believe that it is the M-Edition, as it has an AC which does not come standard on the base model. Also if you look carefully the seats appear to be leather which would be another indicator of an M-Edition.

On a side note, are there any problems that I should know about a Miata? Things breaking around 100K? Issues with electrical demons or motor problems? I've heard that the 5 speed is awesome on Miatas. I would be learning to drive stick in this car, are there any quirks I should know about beforehand?

Pretty much, any and all information you can sling my way as a first time car buyer would be appreciated.

Leather and AC is C-Package, not M-Edition.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Guinness posted:

For just regular road driving, it's far from a requirement. However when doing some hard driving or autox/track driving, it is a noticeable improvement. Even when attacking some twisty mountain roads, an open diff isn't going to ruin your fun.

If all you're looking for out the Miata is a fun, reliable daily driver and/or weekend cruiser, then I wouldn't be too concerned about an LSD. Even if you end up getting into more performance oriented driving, a Torsen swap isn't especially difficult.

Hell, in normal driving the LSD can get pretty annoying, especially on snow, where the car gets all tail waggy the instant one wheel slips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Savington posted:

My LSD is invisible in everyday driving, until I switch into rear end in a top hat mode, and then I want both wheels propelling me as quickly forward as possible.

Where do you live? I'm in Wisconsin, and it's annoyingly obvious on slush and snow. Not so bad on ice though. On pavement, obviously the only indication of it being there is better handling, but winter conditions bring out the worst in the diff.