Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Ziploc posted:

Mine is worse as it's winter driven.

I've never noticed the PPF bolt guard wedge until now. I don't think I've ever seen any cars with it. What year?

Blowtorch has just become a default step in the process whenever we make a mod to my miata at this point. We even had to blowtorch a lugnut off my winter wheels this year because it loving exploded in the socket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Piano posted:

Today I heard a rattle in my dashboard(?) and I can't figure out what exactly it is causing it. I think it's coming from the right side of the gauge hood, above the keys. Only rattles above 50mph-ish... difficult to inspect it at that speed... Anyone ever have this before wanna tell me what it was so I don't kill myself trying to find it?

The clippies that hold the gauge hood in place break real easily. At first it's like a rattle, but eventually they'll break completely and the hood will just kind of bounce up and down. It's annoying.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Piano posted:

What is going on with your bumper texture btw?

The bumpers are plastic and are damaged by the sun much more quickly than the rest of the car. My bumpers look like that too, even faded to almost white in a few spots.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Piano posted:

I need to be talked into(/out of) buying a hard top. I really want one and also know that I really don't need one at all. Can anyone chime in with the not-so-apparent pros/cons? Just for reference I'm perfectly happy with the idea of running the hard top year round. I am probably one of the only miata owners who could care less about convertibility(if that is a word).

If the top spent a long time on another car before you bought it, and may have broken into that car and not fit quite right. My front right latch on the hard top constantly pops loose at any bump because the top is just a little bit out of fitment for my car.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
It's time for a new suspension for my car. It's a '94 with 143,000 miles on it. What are the cool (fast) dudes buying nowadays? I care way more about handling than anything else. I already have the FM sway bars, so I'm talking mostly about the shocks/springs, etc.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

FatCow posted:

Updates.

Camera battery is dead, I'll get some pics up eventually.

Also, get the FCM shocks. I have them on my track car, even with 600# front springs I could see daily driving the car with them on being possible since the valving is that good. Call up FCM, tell them what you want to do with the car and Shaikh (Shake) will tell you what you actually want.

It's basically a daily driver that I like to flog on the backroads when I have free time. I want better handling, and a suspension that's not literally dead from age. It has to be able to deal with really lovely roads without breaking, because Waukesha has it's road repair on the bicentennial plan.

ed: http://fatcatmotorsports.com/FCM_Bilstein_coilover_revalve_NA_NB.htm
so this is what I'm looking at? That's actually cheaper than I expected. I figured I'd be looking at 2k at least, so if I can get a full set of those with springs for 1500, that's pretty much perfect.

mobn fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 24, 2010

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Moruitelda posted:

The few roads that I had to drive on seemed fine a couple of weeks back! (Drove up there to buy my 2.5RS.)

I'm not joking when I say that there's literally 37 potholes between my apartment and school 10 minutes away. That's not even getting into areas where two sections of road are different heights and you just sort of crash into the raised lip of the higher bit of road as you go over it, or spots where railroad tracks are integrated into the road badly and are an inch above the concrete. It's crap.

aventari: where would you recommend to go to get the best price on those? This car, old as it is, will almost certainly never be tracked, so as long as it corners fairly flat and handles appreciably better than stock I'll be happy.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Right, so my hard top latches are broken and I had to duck tape them in place so that my roof wouldn't tear off on the freeway. Where's the cheapest place to get new ones? The little nubbies on the plastic part have worn away, so when I hit a bump they pop open.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
My heat has stopped working at idle. Once I'm moving it blows hot just fine, but at every light it turns cold. This is probably a slipping belt right?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Ugh, how long has miata.net's classifieds been behind a paywall? I'm trying to sell my hardtop because student loans and last minute wedding stuff has raped us financially, and I can't afford the $23 they want to get an account that can list ads now.

I posted it to craigslist, but I have never gotten anything but scam attempts from craigslist postings in the past. Is there anywhere else I can post it?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Feces Starship posted:

how much and where u live at

1500 and Waukesha WI. I just posted it in the AI Marketplace thread too.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Somebody just post speed and class miata and be done with it.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Feces Starship posted:

mobn i cannot give you a promise and my guess is that you'll move the thing more quickly than i would help with but if you're still holding this thing in mid may i'm just a car ferry away from you and i need a miata hard top. just something to think about.

I'll keep in touch.

Well, the only response I've gotten so far is "I'll totes give you a money order for it bro", so have hope Feces Starship.

edit: "Can you ship it to Nigeria? I'll paypal you."

mobn fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 21, 2011

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

n8r posted:

hard tops go for $1500? That's insane.

That's pretty much the standard price for used hard tops.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

destructo posted:

What the hell? A decent hard top is worth $800-1000. The only thing you should pay $1500 for is a freshly painted, mint hardtop.

When I went shopping for this thing originally there was not a single one listed anywhere within 1000 miles for less than 1500.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

DreamOn13 posted:

Seriously. I'm about to list mine for sale for about $800 and see how that goes.

Since everyone says this is the case now, for goons only I will make it $800. Sadly I need any kind of money more than I need a hard top.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Feces Starship posted:

Mobn are you still selling this or has it already moved? I'm nearing my home date and I'm still in need of one. I'm not sure I'd be buying yet but we'll see.

Still for sale, $800 just for you.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I'm still running some TR-1s and it's proving really frustrating in this crazy weather this year because under like 50 degrees they like to start to slip in hard corners and the temperature's been dropping that low pretty frequently this spring.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
My 94 burns way too much loving oil. I just did a change today, and after only 5000 miles or so, there's only two quarts of oil left in the engine. Where's it all going. Are there any particular seals I can have my mechanic look at, or common issues?

He took a brief glance today because he said it sounded like I had a truck engine in the thing, but he usually does old Chevy stuff so he's not overly familiar with the 1.8 mazda. Any tips to help point him in the right direction?

edit: The car has about 143,000 miles on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
For a while the other night my temp gauge started crawling to the right and my air bag light was blinking in a 2 4 pattern. It stopped after a while, but my father-in-law (who is a mechanic) says it was probably the thermostat. I can't find anything about an error code 24 online, and I haven't had time to dig out my shop manual. Anyone have any thoughts?