Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
I used to own and autocross a '96 Miata back in the day, and now, I'm looking at buying another NA model one. I've owned two Miatas in the past. First one was a '91 model that I bought for $3000. After getting into an accident that totaled it, I bought the '96 for $6K back in ~2005 (which was considered expensive, but I wanted one NOWWWW).

Briefly checking out Miata prices in my local area (Orlando, FL), why the hell are Miatas selling for close to 8-10K now? Are the days of buying a clapped out NA for 3K gone? My daily is a Fiat 500 Abarth, and after having it break down, again, I was hoping to pick up a cheap Miata car I can roll around in while fixing the Fiat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

um excuse me posted:

Nah. It's my understanding that you should pay ~$4000 in good condition. It's way more than the $2100 I paid for mine but, well, look at my post history in this thread.

Coredump posted:

Used car prices shot up over the last year due to people getting off public transport due to covid. At the same time sports cars went up more as its was something people could do socially distanced. I've watch Miata, BRZ, and Corvette prices go up. These days a good condition NA is going to be 4k to 5k.

Well poo poo. While that's still a fair range for Miatas, so much for scooping one for cheaper.

I shouldn't have stumbled back into this thread. The want for a Miata grows stronger. I regret letting the (now ex) wife make me sell it for a "reasonable" car. :(

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Sad news: My Fiat 500 Abarth was hit by an - irony alert - Dodge Ram.

Good news: The insurance settlement will leave me with a ~12-13K budget. Which means: Miata will be the answer! I'm looking at buying an NA or NB. I've had a few NAs, so I kinda want to switch it up with a NB (but would happily buy a pristine NA). It looks like prices are somewhat dropping on older Miatas. Too bad you have to deal with sellers. Ugh. It would be nice if there was a Carmax, but for used cars.

Can't wait to join the Miata gang again!

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Finally back in the Miata game! Picked it up this weekend, got some basic freshening out of the way. Air filter, PCV, and basic clearing out of the interior. It needs some brake issues sorted out, and also taking the time to switch out the lines for stainless steel ones. It's wild to be behind the wheel of an early '90s car again. Crank windows, no power locks, just pure basics. Great times ahead!

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Voltage posted:

Very nice! What year? Any mods or is it stock?

It's a '92 model year, and, TIL from Miata.net that '92 Sunburst Yellows were only available with the "A" package. Meaning no power anything (except power steering and brakes). Not sure if it has the VLSD or not. Kinda want to call up Mazda customer support at some point and find out. Maybe when I'm not swamped with work and life in general.

Hikaki posted:

They only made yellow NA's in 1992. I really wish they kept making them!

Mazda's paint color game has always been on point! They just need to make the awesome colors available for more than one model year.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Managed to get the ole' '92 Sunburst onto the track for the first time. The engine ran great - the temp gauge didn't even hit the 12 o'clock mark.

Now, the brakes? They gave out after ~5 laps. Like, wisps of smoke from the wheels levels of giving out. :(

It was disappointing, because I purposely upgraded to fancy slotted rotors, Hawk HP+ pads, and ss brake lines, so that the brakes could handle 20 minute sessions. Once the brakes cooled, and I left to head home, the brakes were back to flawless performance.

The only variable left is the fluid, which I don't think has been changed in ~8-12 months. The pedal was nice and firm on the drive back, so I probably boiled the fluid. But, goddamn, all this after only five laps? Between this, and watching other cars run into mechanical problems, it's no joke: track driving is brutal on a car!

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Wibla posted:

Dude... the fluid is the first thing you check / make sure is good after checking that the (stock) rotors and pads aren't dangerously worn or rusted out :colbert:

Totes agree. It was a last-minute chance to hop on the track (I was doing a race school in their cars) for the last 10-15 minutes of the session. It slipped my mind to check the fluid. :ughh:

Lesson learned, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

TrueChaos posted:

Change the fluid, preferably for a high temp fluid, and you're good to go.

Wibla posted:

I use Motul RBF600 in my 10AE and it has held up pretty well on track :eng101:

I've heard great things about that particular fluid. I'll be grabbing some of that before heading out on the track again.