Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's running on Azenis, which are fairly grippy, so you had to have really done some unsavory things while steering. Or just going way too fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I swear I'm becoming neurotic with this new Miata and the noises that are coming from it. :smith:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

butt terrarium posted:

That's unfortunately what comes with owning a roadster like the miata.

Well, considering that Miata Take 2's heater hose blew within 80 miles and under a day of owning it, I'm really on edge.

However, it was raining the other day when I got off of work, and I pulled into the bigger/more open part of the parking lot, locked the wheel and tapped the gas... to say the least, I was thoroughly amused. None of this chronic understeer poo poo from an open diff. :unsmith:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Most of the noises are new, and in the back of my mind catastrophic engine failure is just looming around the corner at every possible minute. I know I'm being a paranoid little bitch, but poo poo tends to roll downhill. Example: Got the hardtop finally secured properly on the new Miata, and that evening, my radio refused to work. Next day, the radio worked fine. It's a loving voodoo car, I swear.

I've been trying to take it easy on this one since its running on some low-tread Dunlops and the alignment is out of whack. I look forward to getting my Azenis on it as well as a good alignment since this one came with Koni yellows. Negative camber, here I come. :dance: .... as soon as I get the money for it. :smith:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
First off, yay sawzalls! I'm able to get my daisies wrapped with Azenis back from my 96. However, I think I've pinpointed where this weirdass crackling noise is coming from: the pop-ups. Occasionally when I'm driving at night, I'll hear some noise, and tonight I put them on and off. While up, the noise was present. Turn them off and it disappeared. Anybody ever hear of something like this?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hood cover?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Ignore these bastards and cave into your desires. Just don't, uh... expect to be welcomed when your heater hose bursts all over the header and your timing belt looks like swiss cheese the day after you buy it. :gonk:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Good job pointing out huge flaws in that car. Unfortunately you really can't see if the CAS o-ring was leaking oil; another problem spot.

I would have picked up that silver NB Jimmyjars is selling if it was closer to NC and had an LSD. (more of the distance than anything, a torsen swap is relatively easy) Go for Jimmy's NB.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Slopehead posted:

Maybe I can pick up an old Saturn instead.

Fake edit: Phone, what is an LSD, and why is a torson swap needed?

You need to buy Jimmyjar's car now. If you want a car that's fun and makes you feel happy when driving it, go for it.

An LSD is a Limited Slip Differential. It applies torque to both wheels under load; to put it in terms that I can understand: its what makes donuts more than possible... it makes them out of love and semi-sweet chocolates.

edit- krakkles :argh:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Amir posted:

The curve of the trunk lid and the rear window look ugly as poo poo to me. Looking at it gives me a bad taste and that taste is called "Ford Taurus". Everything else looks excellent, but the rear seems like a drunken afterthought :smith:

Same here. I love the RS Coupe, but... that rear end end :gonk:. I would hope that a good looking spoiler would help it out a bit.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

willd58 posted:

Stop back seat moding mate, its very relevant when were talking about ITB'd miata's, your just being an idiot.

He was point out how much man-love leica has for that dude with ITBs on his Miata.

somebody posted:

torsen

Call up Mazda with your VIN, they should be able to tell you.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
buymazdaparts.com has it for 150$ shipped.

And since tax return is coming and my job sent some "tuition assistance" my way... :dance:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Triple-posting, timewarping, Miata driving fag spotted.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I know that I had a crappy alternator on my Legacy and it would do weird crap with the headlights and whatnot. I have the same "problem" with my Miata, the random dips to 500-600rpm and rumbling like a retard. It did it on my 96, too. However, I just cleaned the TB and replaced the air filter, so as far as I'm concerned :iiam:.

Has anybody here had noise come from the pop-ups? I get this weird noise only when I have the pop-ups up.

Phone fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 20, 2008

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I have Koni yellows with stock springs on my 94, and while it is a different car than my 96, it's fantastic. The shocks allows for a more aggressive alignment (I have the Lanny alignment: -1.2 camber up front, -1.7 in the rear) and combine that with sticky tires and there will be nothing but grip.

Bonus round: gently caress it, get 15s.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm trying to sell my 1996 as a parts car, but I'm having little to no luck on selling it whole. The problem is that I don't have the time nor tools to sufficiently part it out myself and make a small mint. I'm asking 1000$ for it on craigslist, and the only two "serious" hits have offered 500$ or less for it. Should I just take the money and call it a day and keep the seats and tail lights (about 100$ in stuff)?

Insurance fuckery: finally got around to dropping the 96 and adding my 94... 30$/mo drop in insurance. :wtc:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I don't have the time to part it out, and that's the problem. :sigh:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The amount of boost on stock MSM is laughable. So unless if the PO cranked up the boost or did some mods, I think it'd be a safe call.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Guinness posted:

The guys over on Miata.net are completely delusional when they say expect to pay $300 for a top install. That $300 price they keep throwing around must be at least 10 years out of date.

These are the same guys that bitch and moan and say that they got their Miata for 4000$ less than you did with half of the miles.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Pulled the trigger on an OEM front air dam. Yay injury claims!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
150$ shipped with 2 day delivery; it should be here on Tuesday.

I still need to figure out what I'm doing next: rollbar, stereo + speakers or buckets.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

AF posted:

Questions once again - apologies if this has already been answered.

Is there a model designation for a Miata with no options at all? Is this available? If, so, what years were they available?

By no options I mean power nothing - no power steering, a/c, windows. (I'm not too sure there were any without power steering)

Base and R packages. Base models are easy to spot from the steel wheels. R packages are easy to spot BECAUSE YOU CAN'T FIND ANY OH GOD :smithicide:

But a base model may have power steering.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
But remember, if you ask Miata.Net, if you pay anything over 3k, you paid too much.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just found some water in my trunk that had been absorbed by most of the insulation. It was pouring pretty hard yesterday with some gusty winds, though.

What should I be looking at to make sure that I don't have any moisture in my trunk?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I did have the softtop on. :/

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Fuckin' UPS guy dropped the air dam in my garage without ringing the doorbell or anything.

rear end in a top hat!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think most of the spec guys use the 89-93 cars since they don't have to run restrictors and can upgrade to 1.8L parts (brakes/LSD/etc).

Anyways, CNDM yo :rice: :

Phone fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 12, 2008

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Azenis are the goto for 14" wheels. I bought my set in July and they bit the dust 2 weeks ago. I maybe got 8-9k out of them, but that's including 3 autocrosses and some tomfoolery. Unfortunately, I don't have an exact number on treadlife considering that I switched cars and didn't do any type of paperwork.

I'm running on the 14x6s right now with Ziexes, and it's a decent tire. I haven't pushed it to its limit, but its doing me OK. On the otherhand, when going around cul-de-sacs with the Ziexes, you hear the tires skip a bit, with the Azenis the car skips. I've laid down some rubber by just taking corners and loading up the suspension, not spinning the tires needlessly at all; however, I think it might be some of the LSD's doing.

I'm about to bite the bullet on another set since there's another autox by me next month and it's my birthday. Unfortunately, I'm going to probably mount them on the daisies (14x5.5), but, eh.

Yay 3 sets of tires in less than a year of owning a Miata. :toot:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Does the RS2 even come in 14"?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh, wow... something new to consider...

Then again, the difference in price between the Azenis and RS2s are going to be in shipping. Vulcan Tire can get you Azenis to your door for 280$, it looks like the RS2s might be 40 dollars more.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Check out Corbeau, they might have something.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just because there isn't a CEL, it doesn't mean that there isn't a code to be read. Get your car's code read somehow and see if anything's in memory.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I don't think it works like that considering that the CAS is on the backside of the engine. And if the CAS dripped oil onto the coolant lines, it would leak onto the header and cause a nice sweet aroma as well as cause smoke to rise up from under the hood.

Ask me how I know. :colbert:

... :cry:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ziploc posted:

http://sabretooth.id.au/mx-5/engineswap1/removal1/35done.jpg

Notice the bursting hose. The round hole is where the CAS goes and very frequently leaks onto the coolant hose.

You mean swollen?

I think Tai-Pan is talking about coolant leaking from near the front of the motor, not the back of the motor. If it was in the back of the motor, then the CAS is a gimmie. Front of the motor, that CAS is going to have to get creative about getting oil to the front of the motor.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I have some valve noise that's pissing the poo poo out of me, but I figure that a valve job is a couple years down the line. At least before I turbocharge it. :v:

How long/difficult is it to do the valvecover? I'm thinking about going purple for a nice contrast to the yellow dipstick for maximum speed and class.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Tard at the Mazda dealership wanted 130 bucks for a Mazda6 shifter knob... to eBay!

I just got accepted into Mazdaspeed and I'm wondering if the stock discs (48.75 a pop) are worth it over Brembo blanks at NAPA (63.xx a pop).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Go Koni Yellows and keep the stock springs. I'd personally would use the spring money (and perhaps some of the sway bar money) to do bushings and whatnot.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You can go the Savington route and get Koni RACE shocks. :madmax:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

butt terrarium posted:

Not if you'd like to keep the feeling in your cheeks for more than 10 minutes everytime you drive.

You're just saying that because you don't want your butt to get hurt. Not to mention that your name is butt terrarium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I don't think that Harddog has an NC rollbar (yet). You might be SOL for a little while.