Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005
Ask me about the normal profile of a rape victim! The normal profile of a rape victim! The normal profile of a RAPE victim! THE NORMAL PROFILE OF A RAPE VICTIM! NORMAL PROFILE! RAPE VICTIM! NORMAL PROFILE! RAPE VICTIM!

(I only rape women under 30 though!)
What is AI's opinion on mismatched hardtops? Black top on white car, red on white, etc. And why isn't an OEM making cheap hardtops :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005
Ask me about the normal profile of a rape victim! The normal profile of a rape victim! The normal profile of a RAPE victim! THE NORMAL PROFILE OF A RAPE VICTIM! NORMAL PROFILE! RAPE VICTIM! NORMAL PROFILE! RAPE VICTIM!

grover posted:

You mean take out a 15-year, $25k home equity loan and deduct the interest from my taxes? heh. Same logic applies to early payment- long term gets the minimum payment down, but if you pay it off fast, you don't accrue the massive interest cost. I had actually considered this, except the interest rates are a full pt higher, so it would cost more in the long run.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think refinanced mortgage interest can be deducted unless the money goes into home improvements.

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005

I need to replace my soft top on my '93. I was thinking about ordering this:

$479 Zipless Glass Top

Is this a good deal from GoMiata or are there any better deals?

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005

Saw an NA Miata on the cover of a car magazine that was the same color as mine.

Obviously I had no choice but to buy the magazine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005

What are you guys paying for insurance on your Miatas?

I pay $700/6 months.

I'm with Geico. 24m/No Tickets/MD with a '93. My coverage is 300/100 with a 500 deductible. It should be being reduced by ~$100 in a week. Does this seem too high?

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005

Hardtop question, I can pick up an after market hardtop for $700. I really want a hardtop for the winter.

Problems: Few scratches, part that slides over the Frankenstein bolts needs to be replaced.

Is it worth it?

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005

Just talked to the guy. It's a snugtop. It's missing the front-right/rear-right latches and has a 1 inch crack on the window. Was hoping it was just a good deal.

:sigh:

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005

Phone posted:

With 700$, you might be able to get an OEM hardtop for that money.

If you can prove me wrong I'd be very happy, but I have yet to find an OEM Hard top below $800 in the six months I've been looking. :argh: spec miata :argh:

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005

I'm replacing my top, has anyone used ConvertibleTops.com?

$359 for a Glass No-Zip

The other company I've looked at was MMMiata which had a glass no-zip top for $492.25.

Is there another company I should look at for buying my new top?

Fake Edit: Is there any value in spending extra for a cloth top?

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005

compton rear end terry posted:

I am looking at a 1996 Miata. They are asking $4650. It has 100,000 miles on it. It looks like it needs a new top. The headlight motor and windshield are broken, and they are willing to replace it. The AIR BAG light is also on, and stays on. How much would it be to fix the air bag? Is this a good deal?

A new top can cost as much as $800 installed.

At 100k miles it's not a very good deal.

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005

What's the difference if any between a Robbins top and one like this one off ebay or this one off a website?

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005

I ordered a top from these guys

http://www.convertibletopguys.com/cgi-local/displaycat.cgi?cat=1444

And the shop I'm having it installed at told me they were having a hard time with it and that it's "junk". I hope that's hyperbole.

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005

Schwack posted:

It seems like if you arent going to spring for a decent aftermarket or NB top, you may as well just do the install yourself.

The shop guys are being professional about it. They got it on impressively well but it had a few wrinkles. They scheduled a time on Friday to fix it. I believe them when they say it took double the normal install time.

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005

My '93 is getting close to 90k miles. Is there any scheduled maintenance I should have done?

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005

Is the standard size battery in a Miata large enough to give a mid-sized car a jump?

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005

I'll need to replace my tires soon and could use recommendations. It's for a 14" wheel. I'd like to get a real nice set for the summer, what does AI recommend?

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005

My clutch became very light today. At first when I pressed the clutch it required extra effort to engage the gears, then just as I was near home it became next to impossible. I stumbled home in 5th.

I'm pretty sure I need to replace the clutch but wanted AI's opinion. If so would $500-$600 be a reasonable repair estimate?

Gear Head fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 25, 2008

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005

Alright AI, as always thanks for the advice. I'm guessing the symptoms I described weren't that uncommon. I'll look into the master/slave cylinders today.

e: I didn't mention that it was a '93 NA Miata, that doesn't make a difference does it?

Gear Head fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 25, 2008

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005

Thanks as always AI. The car is back on the road and driving fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005

kaiory posted:

Is this miata a good deal? I'm going to be checking it out later today. 1992 miata 5 speed with 100k miles $4000

http://southcoast.craigslist.org/cto/849286168.html

Very good deal.

Check out the soft top, figure that to be a $600 repair if it's bad.