Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

Wrar posted:

That's the problem with my Miata. I fit in glovelike fashion, and I'd like something where my knees are not splayed to either side of the wheel so much.

I don't understand how anyone over 6' can drive a Miata comfortably. I'm only 5'9" with relatively short legs and I have zero extra leg room and the steering wheel nearly always rubs my legs. And that's after a massive foamectomy in both the bottom and back of the driver's seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
I'm thinking of selling my black 05 MSM. I know their prices tend to fluctuate seasonally, and I'd like to get as much as possible out of it, obviously. I'm going to detail it to within an inch of its life and make sure everything's cool, but can anyone give me any additional advice specific to selling a Miata? I'm not even sure where to set the price at this point. I'm in the Philly area, if that matters (and I think it probably does). The car has about 17K miles and is in excellent condition and is bone stock, aside from a foamectomy, which looks decent. It has the GT package which is the cloth top and leather seats.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

Really, by all accounts the MSM is a car that should have no problem commanding a premium over other Miatas, yet the market doesn't seem to agree.
I think you're right. I'm not active on the Miata/MSM forums anymore, but I recall seeing MSMs sitting for sale forever, with lots of price reductions.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

destructo posted:

Can anyone here relate any experiences with OEM windblockers? I'm thinking about putting one from an NB into my NA and was curious. M.net doesn't have too many user reviews.

My 05 has the factory flip-up windblocker (with the gawdawful built-in Bose speakers) and it does a decent job. I took it out once to see how effective it actually was, and even at low speeds (30-40mph), I got absolutely beat with wind. With it flipped up, I have cruised at 70-80 mph for several hours with the top down in cold weather and been perfectly fine--I just needed a hat to keep the top of my head protected from the layer of tumbling air coming off the top of the windshield.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Savington posted:

You aren't going to find a seat that 1. you fit in comfortably and 2. fits in the Miata. There are some tall guys that fit into Miatas, but big is hard to do. The biggest I've seen with a racing seat was 6'3 and 230, and he had a Kirkey bolted to the floor. Not a comfortable daily setup in the least.

Is it possible to modify the "surfboard" style seat backs to have pass-throughs for a harness? It seems that might be the next best option for guys that can't fit in proper race seats.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
What are people doing to repair bottom bolsters on NB2 seats? I picked up an 04 MSM recently and it's in great condition but the outer bolsters of both seats are basically flat and I'm not seeing any solutions aside from rebuilding the bottom foam DIY style. That's fine but if there's an off the shelf method that would be better. I'd prefer to fix them properly the first time so that I don't have to worry about them for a few more years.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
That thing is goddamned gorgeous.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
I currently have a BNRS3 2013 MS3 and a mostly stock 2004 MSM. I own both outright. I'm having dirty, shameful thougths of selling both to get into a low mileage 2016 Grand Touring. Tell me what a dumb idea this is, please.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
The real driving force is that within the next 6-ish months I'll be moving from a state with zero emissions to a state with fairly rigorous inspections and I'll be going from a house where I have a great garage and loads of tools to a carport with most of my tools in storage. The MS3 will require several of the aforementioned chunks of money to even have a hope of passing a real inspection and the MSM is mint and was intended to be a forever car. I'd rather sell it to someone who can take care of it than try to take it with me.

So yeah, I need to consolidate down to a single emissions-legal car that has a level of reliability compatible with me having minimal capacity to do any work on them.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Nocheez posted:

Sounds like you have your mind made up already. Go with your gut.

Yeah, I think I do. I'm emotionally invested in both vehicles but with all the constraints of this move I just don't see how I can manage both cars.

So, anyone have experience with both an MSM and an ND? How do they compare?

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
So I sold the MS3 and bought a '17 GT:

The car is fantastic and I have zero regrets but I'm less than impressed with the plasticky shifter. What's everyone's favorite short shifter and knob combo for the ND? I was thinking CravenSpeed SS with a heavy spherical knob of some sort.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
Funny you mention that--I had a Team Voodoo knob laying around and it screwed right on to the ND's shifter. I didn't drive it due to ice/snow on the ground but I rowed the gears in the garage and it felt pretty good. The OEM shifter is curiously tall (which was also the case with the MS3). When the weather clears up, I'll put some miles on the car with the lower knob and see how I like it.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
I bought a '17 GT a few months ago and it's time to upgrade the suspension. This is a daily driver that will never see a track--I'm tired with the wallowing soft factory suspension. I was thinking of going with the Flyin' Miata Koni Stage 2 suspension package but I've heard the Koni shocks have quality issues. Does anyone have opinions or experience with this kit or the Konis in particular?

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
What was your opinion of them for a street car?

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

GD_American posted:

Asking 9500 for a heavily modified (engine internals) 15 year old car.

I mean,

I’ve seen this car in person and I casually know the owner. I haven’t closely examined it but I have owned two MSM’s in the past so I know the platform and this one seems pretty solid from what I’ve seen. The price is definitely high. I’d shoot for $7500 if I were interested but in general pricing on MSM’s is completely bonkers so who knows what it’ll go for.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

BlackMK4 posted:

I think I know who the car is owned by too, I don’t think we’ve been formally introduced though. Brandon?

I think he used to own it but now his roommate Michael is the owner.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

The Prong Song posted:

Buy a plain NB2 in good condition for $4000-5000, spend the remaining cash on a FM turbo kit? Have more power, high reliability?

This is the correct answer. And the turbo itself is arguably the worst part of an overall horrible turbo system. It’s so small that you almost literally can’t stay out of boost once you start removing all the restrictions that Mazda put in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

BloodBag posted:

Forgive my ignorance but why do you say that like it's a bad thing?

A responsive turbo is desirable. One that gets into boost at 15% throttle in any gear at any speed not so much. Maybe with decent engine management and electronic boost control it would have been more manageable but the MSM has neither of those.