Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
About six months ago I bought a 2020 ND Miata. Love it a bunch, super fun to drive, but the infotainment system is a piece of crap - slow, unresponsive, and occasionally reboots while I'm driving.

I am extremely new to the world of having a car which people like to modify, and typing "new infotainment system nd miata" into google is (shockingly) not super helpful. I assume, possibly incorrectly, that pretty much every part of the miata has a variety of aftermarket pieces - is the infotainment system like that as well, and can I just buy something that isn't lovely and replace it? Where would I go about finding this, and how would I go about replacing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Phone posted:

What are you trying to do?

Make it so that I don't need to sit in my car and wait 45-60 seconds for it to boot up before I can connect my phone and start playing music.

Eyud posted:

Yeah I’d get that checked out under warranty. I suppose it’s subjective but I don’t feel like the infotainment in my ND is particularly slow or unresponsive, and it’s definitely never rebooted while driving.

Ah, okay - if this isn't a common symptom of the car, then I can definitely ask the dealership to take a look before I start trying to use money to make the problem go away. I sent an email to the dealership I got it from, the car is only six months old and has about a thousand miles on it, so presumably they should have no problems taking a look at it.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I took my ND2 out to an autocross school, holy wow.

Turns out the miata is a fun car to just drive around town with, but it's a super fun car to drive and turn fast in, it's hard to imagine a better feeling than turning into a corner, feeling it understeer a bit, and then tapping the brakes to bump the rear around to where you need it to be before you mash on the gas again.

I also saw an NC running the same course and man, that car's got what looks like a real soft suspension. The driver got the inside tire to lift a couple times during a turn, which seems hair-raisingly terrifying to me when you also add in the amount of body roll going on.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
The way I’ve purchased my cars, including my miata, is by using a broker. I tell them “this is the car I want, these are the options that are must-haves, and here’s my time frame for when I need to have it.”

Several weeks later, they send me an email and say “here’s the best we’ve found so far - do you want this or should we keep looking?”, to which I reply “yeah that one looks good” and they say “great, show up at this dealership on this date, and don’t sign anything they give you until you take a picture of the contract and I review it for you. Anything they offer you, just say no.”

And then I go to the place at the time, say the things, send over a photo of the contract, and a few minutes later I’m driving away in my new car. They handle all the searching and price negotiation for me and while there’s a fee on top, I’d rather deal with them than an arbitrary number of dealerships.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I doubt it'll fit top up, but top down I stuck a 6-foot cat tree in the passenger seat of my miata, buckled it in, and drove it home no problem.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
The front swaybar removal and install process on an ND is a bit involved, but definitely doable in a day, especially if you’ve got a friend to help manage the front bar and remove it. It took me a weekend but i wasn’t working too fast on it.

You don’t need an alignment after doing a swaybar install.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I took the ND2 down to Paso Robles for a week of cruising and wine tasting with my dad - man, this thing really just loves tootling around the twisty backcountry roads, what a good time.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
You just undo the bolts holding the seat rail to the floor, then rebolt the bracket on top. It’s not too bad and you don’t have to remove the seat or anything, it’s just a couple minutes with an impact wrench.

If the fire extinguisher is too large then you might have trouble sliding the seat forward since the lever to release the seat can interfere with the extinguisher but if it’s one of those skinny ones it shouldn’t be a problem at all. I’ve got whatever chemical extinguisher I bought from home depot in the bracket right now.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Probably depends a lot on what your local market is like - where I'm at in the bay area, I wouldn't be surprised to see that car listed for 5-6k.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
As long as you don’t gently caress up the threads on the studs trying to get them out because you don’t have QUITE the right nuts to use, installing the new muffler is pretty easy and a fun afternoon of loving around under your car.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Stick it somewhere in your garage or shed so you can put it back on the car if you ever plan to sell it? Or you can just take it to the dump, or try to unload it for cheap on craigslist or whatever.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Not the colour I personally would get, but the ones I’ve seen in person have looked pretty nice. If the colour is to your taste, go for it.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Bronze wheels with a blue car is extremely choice if you can swing it.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Does it have to be a BBR supercharger? Fab9 sells an HKS system and an Edelbrock system, and Miataspeed sells an ND1 Edelbrock system (carb legal!) and an ND2 edelbrock system (carb pending, hopefully!), so the only thing standing between you and your supercharged dreams is thousands of dollars worth of parts, labor costs, and transmission repairs!

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I started understanding why the switch directions were the way they were right around the time I installed the roof controller and then i switched it and now i can never remember which way is which because they both make sense, I should just switch it back to default.

However, doing the roof at up to 20 mph or in reverse is an absolute game changer. If you install the ACC mod as well, three clicks on the fob to lower the roof is also quite nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
At the Miata Reunion, I asked one of the guys from FM basically that question. 2020 GT, flyin’ miata sway bars but otherwise stock suspension, car is a daily driver and occasional autocrosser. They said “eh, you may want to add the braces at some point, but it’s the sort of thing that can probably wait until you feel like having a project unless you start tracking the car hard instead of occasional autocross stuff”.