Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calyurk
Apr 5, 2023
Same here. Really helps tie the themes of the album together IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Got an email from Explosions in the Sky announcing "The End tour". I hope this doesn't mean they're breaking up :smith: Also, they aren't coming here on that tour. poo poo.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

Got an email from Explosions in the Sky announcing "The End tour". I hope this doesn't mean they're breaking up :smith: Also, they aren't coming here on that tour. poo poo.

It's an outdoor show in Houston. Come sweat with us on the lawn.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Rageaholic posted:

how the gently caress do you skip california

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I saw Infinity Shred and Wander last night at bottom of the hill, the smallest venue I've ever been to.

both were excellent live, each band's drummers were absolute machines.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Rageaholic posted:

I'm aware it's more math rock, but I just found out that Covet have a new single out and a new album coming out April 7th :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lou0Z9WB4j4

I saw Covet touring on this new record and they played it front to back, it has a few standout tracks that are really good, but I think their previous record “technicolor” was better mostly because it seemed a little more controlled. The new record sometimes veers too far into sounding like emo Joe Satriani. The new drummer is amazing, the new bassist seems ok.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I saw the album leaf in San Jose last night, seeing them again tonight in SF.

I’ve been out of the loop on their stuff for a bit but apparently he’s moved to making smooth jazz with an “end of the world” vibe?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

First new Sigur Ros single in several years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENZsxTiVQYo

It's haunting and beautiful, but it's Sigur Ros, so that kinda goes without saying.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just got an email from Sigur Ros and the new album is out at midnight :getin:

hybridnoisebloom
Nov 16, 2021

new sigur rós is immaculate. just absolutely gorgeous

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Man, Caspian is releasing an expanded edition of On Circles with bonus tracks, but it's vinyl-only :(

https://triple-crown-records.myshopify.com/collections/caspian/products/caspian-on-circles-deluxe-lp

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 21, 2023

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I honestly didn't care much for On Circles. Nothing from it caught my ear after 2 full listens. I'll try it again soon if I can remember to.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
same tbh. but tbh the 4 before it were bangers so it's impressive that it took this long to put one out that wasn't so good

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aww, I like On Circles. I just listened to it again the other day. It's not my personal favorite album of theirs, but it's still very good IMO. And this live version of Wildblood is phenomenal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBVhI09vL5U

The one I didn't care much for was Dust & Disquiet tbh, so I was glad that I really enjoyed On Circles after that.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I love all of Caspian's albums but I'm a little let down that the big announcement of theirs is just a deluxe version of an existing album and that it's vinyl only (for the time being). However, they did mention in an Instagram comment that their Live at the Cabot show should be available for sale soon, so I'm looking forward to that.

I really like the contrast between Dust and Disquiet and On Circles - the former is so dark and heavy while the latter has a sense of hopefulness to it. It's difficult for me to pick one over the other but I will say that On Circles doesn't have the same kind of epic closer that you get with Dust and Disquiet's final titular track.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I really enjoy all of Caspian’s catalogue. I feel $65 for a black 2x vinyl is a bit steep especially for just an album reissue with 2 unreleased tracks.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
This BLACKSHAPE album came out in 2021, but flew under my radar until I got a Youtube recommendation recently.

Mostly instrumental (vocals on one track) and described as "post-mathcore", but they sound almost like a proggier Holy Fawn.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
New Grails album announced

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Hot Diggity! posted:

New Grails album announced

there's a single on spotify, sad & illegal

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Rageaholic posted:

Looks like this tour is for their new album "End" out in September

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hot Diggity! posted:

Looks like this tour is for their new album "End" out in September
Yep! New single out now, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CqIe34ghgs

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Quite like the new track on first listen. Feels like it has the sounds and ideas of Wilderness but with stronger, classic EITS songwriting.

I say that as someone who’s barely listened to the last album since the first few months after release though so I dunno.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I saw Caspian last night in NYC and it was a magical experience. They played for 70 minutes.

Arcs of Command exploded the room like nothing I’ve ever experienced.

I swear the air around the band was quivering with electricity.

Holy moly what a night

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wildtortilla posted:

I saw Caspian last night in NYC and it was a magical experience. They played for 70 minutes.

Arcs of Command exploded the room like nothing I’ve ever experienced.

I swear the air around the band was quivering with electricity.

Holy moly what a night
:hellyeah:

I'm jealous. The last time I saw them was in 2017. That time ruled, though, and they played Arcs of Command then too. I wish I could hear them play some of the tracks from On Circles live.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Two tracks from On Circles last night!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/caspian/2023/saint-vitus-bar-brooklyn-ny-3a49953.html

It was a real small spot and it rocked so hard. They are definitely work shopping a set list for a bigger tour. It was such a magical intimate night. Quovis was beautiful.

God drat what a night

I was dead center along the back of the room

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

Bonk posted:

This BLACKSHAPE album came out in 2021, but flew under my radar until I got a Youtube recommendation recently.

Mostly instrumental (vocals on one track) and described as "post-mathcore", but they sound almost like a proggier Holy Fawn.

They released a video for ITIIITIATIIHYLIHYL a few months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXqNwcrVq_Q

It kinda blew up, and I love the comments the band / other people involved posted under the video. For once, it's good to read comments. They are just so happy they are getting the attention they deserve.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
ArcTanGent 2023 was absolutely unreal. Arrived Thursday afternoon and left Sunday morning - it completely kicked my rear end but the lineup was amazing. Good food & drinks, met cool people and made new friends, really helpful staff, and even the tent setup was pretty decent. I don't know if I'd camp again just because the site is noisy at all hours, but if you can make it, I can't recommend it enough.

Every set I saw was good to great - my highlights were Elder, Devin Townsend, HEALTH, and Igorrr, but Heilung's 90 minute set blew my mind. Video doesn't do them justice.

Only downside was the lack of phone charging stations & wi-fi - both should really be standard at such a long festival. Also, I won my festival pass from Year of No Light but they had to pull out of the festival. So I guess their entire function at ATG was literally just getting me there.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Bonk posted:

ArcTanGent 2023 was absolutely unreal. Arrived Thursday afternoon and left Sunday morning - it completely kicked my rear end but the lineup was amazing. Good food & drinks, met cool people and made new friends, really helpful staff, and even the tent setup was pretty decent. I don't know if I'd camp again just because the site is noisy at all hours, but if you can make it, I can't recommend it enough.

Every set I saw was good to great - my highlights were Elder, Devin Townsend, HEALTH, and Igorrr, but Heilung's 90 minute set blew my mind. Video doesn't do them justice.

Only downside was the lack of phone charging stations & wi-fi - both should really be standard at such a long festival. Also, I won my festival pass from Year of No Light but they had to pull out of the festival. So I guess their entire function at ATG was literally just getting me there.

Elder is one of my favs. That looks like a really cool festival. Did you catch Russian Circles?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
There's a second new EITS single out today. I'm really bummed that All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone seems to be the last stop on that band's discog for me :(

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I sympathize, but I'm able to take it one stop further to Take Care, Take Care, Take Care

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6obrtC66VyE

I may have a bit of personal emotional attachment to it, but this is ultimately the swan song for me. It does still feel a bit detached from the foundational discography of How Strange to All of a Sudden though.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah that song in particular is pretty great. The interval between those albums is when my brain’s appreciation for music began its gradual process of ossifying (22, 23 years old maybe) and Take Care fell just on the other side of that threshold.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Wildtortilla posted:

Elder is one of my favs. That looks like a really cool festival. Did you catch Russian Circles?
Same, Elder's been a fave for a while now. I finally got to hear Lore live - they didn't play it last I saw them. Russian Circles sounded great, but the big top tent was packed so I couldn't get up very close for their set.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 24, 2023

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
it's probably a bit borderline for this thread but emil amos (grails, om) has a new album out (zone black) that's pretty good

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Jehde posted:

I sympathize, but I'm able to take it one stop further to Take Care, Take Care, Take Care

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6obrtC66VyE

I may have a bit of personal emotional attachment to it, but this is ultimately the swan song for me. It does still feel a bit detached from the foundational discography of How Strange to All of a Sudden though.

i remember being a bit disappointed with the album when it came out, but i listened to it in full again a couple of weeks ago, and it actually held up pretty nicely

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
wrong thread

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Happy new Explosions in the Sky album night, y'all :toot: First one of these we've gotten in 7 years. That's wild.

e: The Fight is definitely my favorite track on the album so far, wow

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 15, 2023

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I'm seeing them TONIGHT. I'm tempted to check it out now, but I don't want to risk my silly rear end superstition.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I’ve been really disappointed in their output from Take Care on, but the new song Moving On is hitting really hard on a day that’s perfect for EITS

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

There's a new Grails out today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Saw 65daysofstatic yesterday, going to see Explosions in a few weeks. Feels like 2005 again