Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I spent today listening to ASIWYFA's entire discography. It's mostly fantastic, with their latest Jettison being the only one I wasn't into as much. That one sounds more like a film score than a proper ASIWYFA album, which isn't bad, but I just connected to the proper ASIWYFA albums way more. It's got strings and spoken word passages in addition to their regular sound. Even on Jettison, though, there's elements of what makes those other albums of theirs great. They're just not as pronounced IMO.

hatelull, if you're still looking for a place to start with them, I'd suggest any of their albums except for Jettison. They even have a live album that sounds killer, if you want to hear what to expect from the show in the summer.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Jettison isn't a film score but it is part of an audio visual bit of art rather than a proper album isn't it?

I may well have pulled that out of my arse I dunno I'm just posting waiting for Jeff Rosenstock to come on

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Junkenstein posted:

Jettison isn't a film score but it is part of an audio visual bit of art rather than a proper album isn't it?

I may well have pulled that out of my arse I dunno I'm just posting waiting for Jeff Rosenstock to come on
Oh maybe. This is my first time listening to it and I know nothing about the background of the album.

In any case, I found it to be their weakest.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
scored a free ticket to mogwai next week :c00lbert: I haven't seen them before but have been led to believe that earplugs are a must?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yes but also earplugs are a must at basically every show imo :corsair:

Edit: I got to see them on the Mr. Beast tour and I wore earplugs the whole time but took them out for Glasgow Megasnake for “the experience”. Also I got to talk with them after the show and literally all they wanted to talk about was how they were trying Philly cheesesteaks at every stop on the tour and how much they were enjoying it.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 12, 2024

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
mogwai are the loudest thing i've experienced, and i've seen manowar

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I think My Bloody Valentine was louder when I saw them in 2008, but Mogwai wasn't far off.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Two weeks to Mogwai here and I'm very excited!

Loudest show I've ever been to was A Place to Bury Strangers. Played for 45 minutes at a small pub (RIP Kings Arms) and even with earplugs I came away ringing.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Squarepusher had my ears ringing for a week, easily the loudest show I've been to (also I had lovely earplugs)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

strap on revenge posted:

scored a free ticket to mogwai next week :c00lbert: I haven't seen them before but have been led to believe that earplugs are a must?

I went to a 2014 concert at the Regency Ballroom in SF. Sat in the balcony, rather far away from the stage. They opened with Heard About You Last Night, and it made a big impression. That song's intro is just a glockenspiel plus a bass line, and we didn't just hear the bass, we felt it. Vibrated the whole balcony so you could feel it in your feet, and it was doing the same to our chests. It was intense.

And then, as the song brought in more instruments, it got louder. You know how Mogwai loves to do quiet - loud - quiet? or just quiet ramping into loud? They have all those dynamics live, but the scale is loud to HOLYFUCK.

I've been to a few other Mogwai shows and not all were that loud. I'd guess a lot depends on whether the venue's management and sound engineer go along with Mogwai's preferences. But you should definitely go prepared.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Jewmanji posted:

Yes but also earplugs are a must at basically every show imo :corsair:

I do take my earplugs to most shows I go to but occasionally I forget. I'll make sure not to do it this time (and will make sure I remember to grab some for my partner, who is much less consistent with it than I am). thanks goons. very excited

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Have fun at the Mogwai gig - the first time I saw them was also my first post pandemic gig, it was in a ~300 capacity venue where I was only a few rows from the front and I had a great evening. But yes, after seeing them again a few months later, I started bringing ear plugs to some gigs. I've got a ticket for their 'Big City' one day festival they're putting on in Glasgow in June, along with Slowdive, Beak>, and others. Hope the weather's nice.

And today I've seen that GY!BE are playing four dates in the UK in Sep/Oct so of course I instantly bought a ticket for them (speaking of Glasgow, that's where I saw them in 2022), and Sunn O))) are also touring in April so that's another ticket purchased. Need to stock up on earplugs.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Mogwai have never been that loud when I've seen them. But several times were in either nice concert halls or outside festivals.

MBV though, yikes. My clothes were flapping

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Carpet posted:

Need to stock up on earplugs.

Imo buy a nicer pair, I'm partial to Etymotic

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Nuclear Spoon posted:

honestly just listen to all of caspian in order of release, they're the best in the game

This 100x.

Junkenstein posted:

Mogwai have never been that loud when I've seen them. But several times were in either nice concert halls or outside festivals.

MBV though, yikes. My clothes were flapping

I saw Caspian last year and my clothes were vibrating so hard during arcs of command it’s something I’ll never forget.

I also can’t go to live music without earplugs and enjoy myself. I had to walk out of a show at the chameleon club a few years ago before they closed and I was super bummed but my head felt like it was going to split in two. After that show I bought a pair of earplugs and their maiden voyage was Tool’s Fear Innoculum tour in 2019.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Rageaholic posted:

Jealous of anyone who gets to go to this. If they don't add a date here, I might have to try to go to that Houston show.

Only $38 after fees, what a loving steal in this day. I'm psyched for the Chicago show. Caspian never disappoints and I've never seen ASIWYFA

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Is that twelve shows in twelve days? That's a brutal schedule

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
GYBE played a few long new tracks at their NY show. New album in September apparently.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
And they're in the UK in early October. Perfect, I need to buy tickets.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Two new Pelican songs released soon hell yeah

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

err posted:

GYBE played a few long new tracks at their NY show. New album in September apparently.

I don’t think the new album rumor is true. Constellation seemed to say no new album from them this year.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Jewmanji posted:

I don’t think the new album rumor is true. Constellation seemed to say no new album from them this year.

Ah yeah, I just saw that. I was going by this, which mentioned it: https://www.abconcerts.be/en/agenda/godspeed-you-black-emperor/a10Qw000000Eq3ZIAS

New music is hopeful though, still. Pretty good recordings are on YouTube if anyone is interested.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

2 new Pelican tracks :bisonyes:

https://pelican.bandcamp.com/album/adrift-tending-the-embers

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Ok I just downloaded a couple Caspian albums cause of mentions here and can’t believe I’d never given them a shot

I don’t know that exactly constitutes Post Metal or Post Rock but they do the same for me as Russian Circles

Holy moley Arcs of Command is an amazing song

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Cat Hassler posted:

Ok I just downloaded a couple Caspian albums cause of mentions here and can’t believe I’d never given them a shot

I don’t know that exactly constitutes Post Metal or Post Rock but they do the same for me as Russian Circles

Caspian is the best. Russian Circles is really good, too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cat Hassler posted:

:yeah:

Are you seeing them on the upcoming tour? They're incredible live.

Also, hell yeah, Maybeshewill are remixing/remastering their album Fair Youth for its 10th anniversary. First single from it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxeknT26As

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Rageaholic posted:

:yeah:

Are you seeing them on the upcoming tour? They're incredible live.

Not coming to Seattle unfortunately :smith:

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

New Pelican slaps. I forgot how good Nighttime stories was.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Good poo poo

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

:bisonyes: indeed.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Just been going through Mogwai's cinematic output in anticipation of their new documentary coming out, as one does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgYiQPuXMhE

I can no longer find an active upload of the pandemic show they did for As the Love Continues. If you want it, we could probably figure out a way to get it to you over private messages.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Neat Australian band in the Caspian/Pelican/Russian Circles vein. Tend toward 10 minute songs which I guess you gotta be in the mood for

https://youtu.be/fYgT7K6bSVU?si=yqrNU_9I629rUAUi

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Cat Hassler posted:

Neat Australian band in the Caspian/Pelican/Russian Circles vein. Tend toward 10 minute songs which I guess you gotta be in the mood for

https://youtu.be/fYgT7K6bSVU?si=yqrNU_9I629rUAUi

Saw them live in London at the end of 22—they were stellar.

Russian Circles just announced a Europe tour in October. Got my ticket already.

Jeherrin fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 16, 2024

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

seeing the renamed KST, formerly Constant & Change tonight. I know maybe a dozen words in Mandarin and they've definitely begun adding vocals in their latest work, but it'll be worth the price of admission if they play this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igEd2xdY5Hk

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Saw an excellent post-rock/post-metal lineup this evening.

Support from Codespeaker, Void Of Light, and then a double bill of Din Of Celestial Birds and Hundred Year Old Man.

If you like ISIS/Neurosis/etc, you'll like this lot.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
If These Trees Could Talk is new to me

Nothing much different than Caspian or Pelican but am liking it so far

https://youtu.be/FOGJpY0gpso?si=aQ41Qew1AzhTJYAz

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Explosions in the Sky just announced shows in NZ/AUS! This makes deciding if I was going to bother seeing them while on holiday in the UK much easier

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Might only be new to me but discovered these dudes from Germany :catstare:

https://youtu.be/QiJ9CoVmEZA?si=KNS30oNI_PXaRYsB

There’s a lot of similar bands but they do cool stuff with woodwinds and up the tempo

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 23 days!)

Godspeed in a few hours. Excited for what is 4th concert in my entire life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtamo
Oct 7, 2012

haddedam posted:

Godspeed in a few hours. Excited for what is 4th concert in my entire life.

Went to the show in :finland: last night, at least that one was pretty awesome! I actually wasn't a big fan beforehand, and mostly went since getting any post rock bands here is worth supporting. I say "wasn't" since I guess I'm a bit bigger fan now.

It's kinda funny how some bands, especially post rock ones, seem to work way better live. Looking at you, God Is An Astronaut - you're so goddamn boring on albums but live it just works so drat well.