Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Tonight was Solkyri (support) and We Lost The Sea (main) in London. WLTS played a bunch of Triumph and Disaster plus some bits from Departure Songs. Played 90m straight without talking once, with only a brief pause before the encore (A Gallant Gentleman).

It was loving spellbinding.

Jeherrin fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Looks like Jakob are back in the studio. https://www.instagram.com/p/CnOYDvap40G/

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Jeherrin posted:

Looks like Jakob are back in the studio. https://www.instagram.com/p/CnOYDvap40G/

:yeah: They posted something similar a year or 2 ago and it got my hopes up but I'm still waiting. Such a tease!

Can anyone explain Boyle's pedalboard pic? I see 2 digitial delays (pretty sure I heard he uses more than that), a looper on the bottom left, 2 reverbs (boss + big sky), but I don't know what the others are. What's a Timeline? Which one is the distortion?

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Ofecks posted:

:yeah: They posted something similar a year or 2 ago and it got my hopes up but I'm still waiting. Such a tease!

Can anyone explain Boyle's pedalboard pic? I see 2 digitial delays (pretty sure I heard he uses more than that), a looper on the bottom left, 2 reverbs (boss + big sky), but I don't know what the others are. What's a Timeline? Which one is the distortion?

Strymon Timeline is a Delay (I'd say it's the Delay version of the Strymon BigSky reverb), Meris Enzo (the gold-ish pedal on the right of the Timeline) is kind of a synth-ish pedal as far as I know, the Friedman BE-OD is a distortion and the Hotcake is an overdrive. Not sure what about that black pedal in between those two. Eventide H9 (right of the Infinity 3 Looper) is a multi-effects pedal if I understand it correctly.

I think the Morningstar MC6 (underneath the Boss Reverb) is a footswitch MIDI controller.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tea Party Crasher posted:

This is also my relationship with Swans actually. I can understand people being more attracted to the grungier '80s era but if you ask me they became a truly great band with The Seer and only got better with each subsequent release.

That's a funny way to spell Soundtracks For the Blind

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The Birthday Party and one or more of the UK bands* sometimes at once and Sonic Youth doing a Goth Rock band? This loving rocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpoH2-6eOEM

that whole channel is loving awesome, let it autoplay at least to the next song

* Any good goth rock punk shoegaze post-punk UK band. Gets a bit Urfaust once-ish. Gun Club? Catholic Spit?

Also, its essentially "mixed" by the "cameraman" moving around, and you're eventually asking is that intentional? Music mixed in camera?

Wee fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 24, 2023

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Portals festival in London seems to have taken a step up this year (and it's always been good)

https://portalsrock.com/festival.html

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I hadn't really paid attention to the last few albums from Hammock but I'm digging their latest one that just came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYOyT_mwgsc

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Hammock are always solid. It feels like they have a knob that goes from Pure Ambient on one side to Post Rock on the other and, each album, they decide where they want to turn it to and go with it.

New one is definitely towards the post rock end.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh hell yeah, that track is beautiful! Love the guitar work. I'm gonna have to check out that whole album later.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

homewrecker posted:

I hadn't really paid attention to the last few albums from Hammock but I'm digging their latest one that just came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYOyT_mwgsc

Yeah it's great

The one thing I find weird about that band is how professional their website is lol

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Maybe one of the member's day jobs is WebDev.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh I don't just mean how it looks, I mean how the copy is like, I dunno, it reads like ad copy for a mega corporation or something lol

Maybe it's because they're from Nashville

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I saw mono last night and they played COM(?) as the encore :yeshaha:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

GY!BE + Jessica Moss first show last night at the chapel.

super intense.

GY!BE played for 100 minutes without a word to the crowd and from what I could see, a word to each other.

also bought tickets for tonight and tomorrow night.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Finally got a record player after living on this earth for [redacted] years. I have inherited plenty of good stuff over the years, but was excited to make my first purchase F# A# Infinity before I remembered that it doesn't include Providence :(

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Yeah but you get a flattened penny and all the other cool things

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Sigur Ros album in June :dance:

quote:

Today, Sigur Rós have announced a limited run of very special dates, performed with a 41-piece orchestra in both Europe and North America. You can expect a new album in June, the first studio album in 10 years.

Having spent the past few years writing and recording, Sigur Rós will now debut these brand new songs to the world.

The tour kicks off in London at Meltdown Festival, where the band will perform with the London Contemporary Orchestra, who also accompany them on their following European tour dates.

Accompanied by the Wordless Music Orchestra in North America, the band will perform their new material as well as favourites from their extensive catalogue. All orchestral dates will be conducted by Rob Ames.

European shows on sale now
London show on sale March 17th
North American presale March 22nd / General sale March 24th

June 16, London, UK — Royal Festival Hall (Meltdown Festival)
June 17, Amsterdam, Netherlands — Concertgebouw (Holland Festival)
June 18, Hamburg, Germany — Elbphilharmonie
July 3, Paris, France — Philharmonie de Paris (Days Off Festival)

August 14, Toronto, ON — Roy Thomson Hall
August 16, New York City, NY — Beacon Theatre
August 18, Brooklyn, NY — Kings Theatre
August 19, Boston, MA — Wang Theatre
August 21, Minneapolis, MN — State Theatre
August 24, Seattle, WA — The Paramount Theatre
August 26, Berkeley, CA — The Greek Theatre at UC Berkeley
August 27, Los Angeles, CA — The Greek Theatre

FESTIVAL & SOLO 2023 SHOWS
(without Orchestra)

June 29, Eurockéennes, Belfort, France
July 1, Rock Werchter, Werchter, Belgium
July 2, Wasing Estate, Berkshire, Uk
July 6, Mad Cool Festival, Madrid, Spain
July 7, Cruilla Festival, Barcelona, Spain
July 9, Roma Summer Fest, Rome, Italy
July 11, Locus Festival, Bari, Italy
July 12, Lucca Summer Festival, Italy
July 13, Piazza Sordello, Mantova, Italy
July 15, Festival De Nîmes, France
July 19 - 23, Electric Castle Festival, Romania
July 24, Saint Michael’s Fortress, Croatia
July 25, Saint Michael’s Fortress, Croatia
July 28, Küçükçiftlik Park, Istanbul, Türkiye

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Rageaholic posted:

I am 100% going to that Berkeley orchestral show

EDIT: tonight's the 4th GY!BE show I'll attend in as many days.

Beginning to feel like GY!BE is the only band

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Rageaholic posted:

:eyepop:

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Man. I’ve been sleeping on The For Carnation for all these years? This is really scratching the Slint itch. Where should I hop to from here?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jewmanji posted:

Man. I’ve been sleeping on The For Carnation for all these years? This is really scratching the Slint itch. Where should I hop to from here?

My top 2 post rock albums used to be The For Carnation self titled and Papa M's Live From a Shark Cage

I looked up David Pajo on Spotify and he's done some solo albums under the name PAJO recently, which have like 300 listeners on the whole of Spotify

For some reason I feel like his stuff has always been underrated

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Seriously, this dude!

https://youtu.be/9YMMQ0YTtlE

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Thanks, I know *of* Papa M from that Slint documentary but haven’t listened. And yeah Pajo has an interestingly diverse output. His 2005 album has songs that sound like dead ringers of Elliott Smith and Simon and Garfunkel

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like American Analog Set operate in that kind of vibe drone groove as well

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm seeing GY!BE tonight.
Just thought I'd tell someone.
Never been to a postrock show.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'm seeing GY!BE tonight.
Just thought I'd tell someone.
Never been to a postrock show.

I recommend standing on the left side of the stage as close as you can.

Mike and Ephrim sit on that side and are fun to watch.

David, the other guitarist, sits on the right side near the audience but faces the rest of the band, so it's tougher to see him play.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hell yeah, thanks for the tip. Is that stage left? I like watching good musicians do their thing.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
i saw them two nights in a row and stood on one side each night and i had a lot more fun on the right watching sophie play violin

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
I would say go as far back as you can so you can see the projections tbh.

Also eat some mushrooms if you have them

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Well now I feel terrible, so I guess that was a good show.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
New Swans single today, https://open.spotify.com/track/2bywSV7Z2yjC0JlP79sZC8?si=U1AeyK2aSSuL4sDZhHOTGw

Album out June 23rd and has a runtime of 2 hours.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ok for an actual impression of GY!BE, that was one of the best shows I've seen in a long time. I'm not used to having emotions dredged up by heavy instrumental shows. I've seen plenty of black metal, death metal, stoner metal, etc. but the wall of sound and the tones in this were pretty out of this world. I couldn't get close enough to really see them play, but they don't really highlight themselves and the projections seem to be the focus. They left the stage after the last song with loops and feedback going full blast, and the "encore" was the bassists and one of the drummers wandering around fiddling with everyone's amps and pedals for a while and turning them off one by one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm aware it's more math rock, but I just found out that Covet have a new single out and a new album coming out April 7th :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lou0Z9WB4j4

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

what happened to your millhouse av

calyurk
Apr 5, 2023

Jewmanji posted:

Finally got a record player after living on this earth for [redacted] years. I have inherited plenty of good stuff over the years, but was excited to make my first purchase F# A# Infinity before I remembered that it doesn't include Providence :(

Fully sick bro. One of the first albums I ever got on wax was LYSF, and it sounds great. I recommend checking out the vinyl version of U.X.O as well, it's the definitive version of the album in my opinion.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Oh yeah? Does Yanqui differ in some way too? I’ll go to bat for that album (or any of their albums) any day.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Didn't the vinyl have the George Bush speech at the end that they decided to delete from the CD?

calyurk
Apr 5, 2023
Yes, but the tracks themselves have some more material as well. 09-15-00 and Motherfucker=Redeemer pt.1 have beautiful ambient intros that were left off the CD release completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

calyurk posted:

Yes, but the tracks themselves have some more material as well. 09-15-00 and Motherfucker=Redeemer pt.1 have beautiful ambient intros that were left off the CD release completely.

I seem to recall the CD was the maximum possible length so I guess they really didn't want to do a double CD release again

Here it is for reference

https://youtu.be/nqaOKPKLCiI

I like it ending with the bush speech

precision fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 6, 2023