Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handre
Mar 26, 2008
Oh well would you look at that. I stumble upon this thread just as I start getting into a post rock addiction.

Recently I've been starting to listen to a good bit of post rock. I started with the obvious Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Explosions in the Sky, and Sigur Ros. All of those bands completely amazed me, and after listening I wondered how I could have gone so long unaware of this genre. The past week or two I have continued on my post rock adventure. Do Make Say Think, Mogwai, and Mono have all impressed me. I think I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if I can find some more excellence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairdoctor
May 31, 2001

The doctor is in.

aerdil posted:

Coincidentally, I also ordered three EITS records and two Mono records from auralexploits. Those all arrived with warped discs as well.

I've ordered all the Temporary Residence stuff I have (with the exception of the latest EitS record which was purchased at the show) from them directly and everything has been pristine. They usually sell their vinyl for cheaper than most distros too so you may want to look into just buying it direct.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A few of my friends are in a post-rock band called Good Day For An Airstrike.

Here's a link to their MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/gooddayforanairstrike

They only have one song up there, but they play many more live. I've seen every show they've played, and each one has been fantastic. If you're in the New Orleans area or are planning to be, you should check them out. They've got a bunch of shows lined up.

Also, I listened to the EF album I Am Responsible night before last and it was really good. If you haven't heard them, give 'em a shot.

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
Thought you guys might be interested in this:

http://www.myspace.com/distresscalls

A one man post rock band, i'm loving it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I listened to the new Earth album today, and while pretty good for a little while, it became repetitive and seeemed like one 55-minute song that never changed.

Not quite sure why every reviewer seems to find so much favor with it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I listened to the new Earth album today, and while pretty good for a little while, it became repetitive and seeemed like one 55-minute song that never changed.

That's because you were listening to a drone album and that's what drone sounds like.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha

Bucket Joneses posted:

That's because you were listening to a drone album and that's what drone sounds like.

Did you like it I did.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bucket Joneses posted:

I've listened to Boris stuff that's more dynamic than that. It can't all be that repetitive.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I've listened to Boris stuff that's more dynamic than that. It can't all be that repetitive.

Boris changes styles on every release now, they're in no way a drone band for the most part.

It mostly is all that repetitive, it's not for everyone.

Ash.W
Aug 2, 2004

bonk bonk
65daysofstatic stuff: http://www.65daysofstatic.com/wordpress/ new song from the Dance Parties EP streamable, 'Dance Parties [distant]', and 'Goodbye 2007' is available at http://www.monotremerecords.com/news.php , the EP is on sale now for £4 as well.. I love the end of [distant].

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
The 65dos EP is pretty awesome.

Also, has anyone picked up the new Youthmovies album? It's been a long time coming, but it's brilliant!

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.

aerdil posted:

Do any of you people with vinyl copies of Godspeed's 'Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven' notice any warping of the records?

Mine isn't warped, but it does crackle like a motherfucker. It's not surface dust, I clean every record I play every time. It's not static electricity, I zap everything with a static gun too. It pisses me off that I can't listen to my favorite album on vinyl. I bought it from a record store years ago, so I can't send it back now, and I'm hesitant to order another on the chance it might be defective too. loving frustrating.

e: VVV Saw them Friday in Lawrence, KS. They brought the loving house down.

pill for your ills fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 31, 2008

Hard Body Goon
Dec 1, 2005

Hi I'm Buddy-dot-gif
anyone catch explosions at the pabst in milwaukee last night? incredible show.

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008
I will be seeing them (Explosions in the Sky) this Friday in Buffalo. I am beyond excited for the show.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I couldn't help noticing that very little comments were made on A Silver Mt. Zion's 2008 release 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons. I've just now gotten it, even though I know I'll regret it considering I've hated ASMZ more and more with each new release increasing Efrim's screeching.

Having given it a solid listen, I'd say the first 12 tracks are the best. Which is a shame, because the instrumental work on the 4 "real" tracks is flawless.

:suicide:

JustWalkedIn
Jul 18, 2006
This is a friend's of mine band: http://www.myspace.com/victorymarchmusic
They played with This Will Destroy you at RGRS in Denton, couple months of ago, and are playing with these fine gentlemen next week.

Unwed Sailor - http://www.myspace.com/unwedsailor

And for those who love your Kafka bands, Gregor Samsa - http://www.myspace.com/gregorsamsamyspace

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jan posted:

I couldn't help noticing that very little comments were made on A Silver Mt. Zion's 2008 release 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons. I've just now gotten it, even though I know I'll regret it considering I've hated ASMZ more and more with each new release increasing Efrim's screeching.

Having given it a solid listen, I'd say the first 12 tracks are the best. Which is a shame, because the instrumental work on the 4 "real" tracks is flawless.

:suicide:

Complaining about amateur vocals in Zion totally misses the point, but if they really are a dealbreaker you should check out the collaboration they did with Vic Chesnutt. He does all the vocals and they provide the music.

Theusz Hamtaahk
Jan 8, 2008
Kobaia iss de Hundin
The new Russian Circles cd, "Station" is pretty sick. Not as heavy as parts of Enter,but very intricate and delicate lines that culminate in some beautiful peaks.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Theusz Hamtaahk posted:

The new Russian Circles cd, "Station" is pretty sick. Not as heavy as parts of Enter,but very intricate and delicate lines that culminate in some beautiful peaks.

I've been listening to that CD a lot the last few days. Great album.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

http://flickr.com/photos/vikki-lea/sets/72157604589088027/

65daysofstatic + Errors + Gay For Johnny Depp on Tuesday night at the Manchester Academy.

loving *hell* that was good. And Errors were delightful.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Theusz Hamtaahk posted:

A lot of the harder Post Rock bands have been toning it down, Russian Circles does it too but thankfully not to the degree Pelican did. They're a better Pelican now than Pelican is.

DeathFromAbove1988
Mar 8, 2007

You're a woman, I'm a machine.

pill for your ills posted:

e: VVV Saw them Friday in Lawrence, KS. They brought the loving house down.

I was at that show! I was on the steps with my ex and a friend. Please tell me you weren't that tall fucker right in front of us.

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008
The EitS show in Buffalo was amazing. Here's the set list (I'm pretty sure this is accurate, I am positive on 1-5):

1. Yasmin the Light (I think it was a shortened version)
2. A Song for Our Fathers
3. The Birth and Death of Day
4. The Only Moment We Were Alone (This was seriously incredible)
5. Greet Death
6. Welcome, Ghosts
7. Six Days at the Bottom of the Ocean
8. Memorial

It was pretty much everything I could have wanted from an Explosions in the Sky show. They were incredibly intense and energetic and had a set list that completely blew me away. They played my favorite song from each of their albums in the same show, all in a row (songs 2-5). However, the song that stuck out the most was The Only Moment We Were Alone. I always thought the song was intense when just listening to it at home, but after hearing it live...wow.

Octavio
Nov 16, 2007

He doesn't even want the pancake, Little Blue Couch. ~~!!!
Hi, i've recently drifted away from post-rock because I can't find any new bands to get into. Any suggestions would be fantastic, here's my current list of post rock artists.

Explosions In The Sky
God Is An Astronaut
Mogwai
GSY!BE
ASMZ
This Will Destroy You
Mono
65daysofstatic
Pelican
Yndi Halda
Dirty Three
Isis
Kayo Dot
Red Sparowes
Russian Circles
Sigur Ros
Slint
Tortoise
Do Make Say Think

Yup I think that's all. I know I might seem greedy or whatever, but I loving love post-rock and I really want to get back into it.

Beleg
Oct 21, 2004
There's a lot bands to recommend, seeing that you have a huge list. Maybe you can try post-rock from regions like Asia or something?

Te' (japanase math rock band, recommended in this thread before)
toe (japanese math rock, very melodic)
Envy (more to screamo, but has it moments)
Miaou (pretty soothing post-rock, mathy at times)
wangwen (chinese band)
Maybeshewill (uk post-rock band, slightly similar to 65dos)
Carefully (jazzy post-rock band from Texas)
EF (has released two solid albums)
The Evpatoria Report (swiss post-rock band with strings, a little GY!BE vibe)
Followed by Ghosts (their album 'the entire city was silent' has some good moments)
Eaten By Tigers (has a bit of vocals)
Jakob (NZ band, has some influential stuff)
The Mercury Program (groovy post-rock, listen to their EP All the Suits Began to Fall Off)
The Samuel Jackson Five (can't be recommended enough)
and so I watch you from afar - scottish post-rock, full of energetic bursts
Beware of Safety - three guitars + drums, really good stuff
As the Poets Affirm - I really like their song, 'Rocket Through'

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just found out about Overseas on Saturday. Trails and Your Star are both really great tracks.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Speaking of Maybeshewill has anyone got the album yet? It's great.

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.

DeathFromAbove1988 posted:

I was at that show! I was on the steps with my ex and a friend. Please tell me you weren't that tall fucker right in front of us.

Fortunately I was not. I was about in the middle of the floor crowd, and I made an effort to block no one's view, except for the two drunk pissbags behind me who wouldn't shut up during Lichens' set. They didn't deserve a good view.

Cpt Stabbin
Jul 16, 2003

I ride zee boat and take it in zee poopah!
Have The Evpatoria Report been named yet? Well here we go then...

http://www.myspace.com/theevpatoriareport

Awesome band from Switzerland.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

Cpt Stabbin posted:

Have The Evpatoria Report been named yet? Well here we go then...

http://www.myspace.com/theevpatoriareport

Awesome band from Switzerland.

Yes, a few posts above you.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

thehustler posted:

Speaking of Maybeshewill has anyone got the album yet? It's great.

I just finished giving it a listen. I'm not sure exactly how I feel about the addition of vocals, and I liked the sampling on Japanese Spy Transcript more than I liked it on this album, but on whole it seems pretty solid.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 23, 2008

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm realizing now just how absolutely beautiful How Stange, Innocence is. I mean, I always thought it was great before. But now, for some reason, it's on a whole different level for me. Every song on this album has this overwhelming power over me, especially Remember Me As A Time Of Day. That one just brought me out of depression within its 5 and a half minute duration, in fact. Playing piano along with it is really relaxing, too.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

That's like killing a unicorn!

I'm realizing now just how absolutely beautiful How Stange, Innocence is. I mean, I always thought it was great before. But now, for some reason, it's on a whole different level for me. Every song on this album has this overwhelming power over me, especially Remember Me As A Time Of Day. That one just brought me out of depression within its 5 and a half minute duration, in fact. Playing piano along with it is really relaxing, too.

A Song for Our Fathers is the only EitS song I've really loved the first time I heard it.

Fucktard Court
Dec 30, 2004

Aye
Aye
   Aye
Aye
   Aye
Aye
   Aye
  Stup
Explosions are playing live on Austin City Limits right now so if you turn on your tv you can catch their set it just started

IRC Soothsayer
Sep 1, 2004
talented?

AinSophAur posted:

Explosions are playing live on Austin City Limits right now so if you turn on your tv you can catch their set it just started

Amazing band. I had heard some of their stuff here and there but now I am completely hooked.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

That's like killing a unicorn!

AinSophAur posted:

Isn't this a rerun from a few months ago? It was a great show either way, although I wonder why they didn't play Your Hand in Mine (yet Memorial was the best way to end it).

Tunky
Oct 27, 2006
With the absolute heart of the poem of life butchered out of their own bodies good to eat a thousand years.
A great source to hear new bands is the Nowlikephotographs college radio show, from the University of Minnesota. I help them out reviewing music, etc. I would say that their scope and depth are just as broad as The Silent Ballet. They also archive their shows (the shows are two hours long, each Wednesday evening) and you can go back and listen to them whenever you want. In addition to post-rock, Nowlikephotographs tries to play post-metal, instrumental rock, ambient, drone,film scores, and bedroom electronica - essentially anything as long as it doesn't have lyrics.

I hope you like it. These guy have been working long and hard to cater to our niche, so they deserve some recognition.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.
A local post-rock band that I think people here would enjoy is To Be a High Powered Executive. I've been really into them recently after seeing them live three times this spring.

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire
I just wanna throw in some recommendations of some great albums I've been listening to:

Maserati - Inventions for the New Season - band from Atlanta, described as "psychedelic post rock"... somewhere.

Don't Mess With Texas (s/t) - http://www.d-m-w-t.com/ - post rock band from Croatia, that as far as I understand formed from the remnants of some other Croatian post rock bands (one of which is also worth checking out Lunar I think they only ever put out one album - Turbo). I really like their self titled album, and so does everyone that I play it to. Their new album Los Dias de Junio is not as good, though I'm slowly getting into it.

Red Sparowes - Every Read Heart Shines Towards The Sun - formed by members from various HydraHead bands, slightly heavier instrumental stuff, with some slide guitar (pedal steel?) thrown in. It's a concept album about the Great Leap Forward believe it or not. I'm also waiting on delivery of this and their first album on LP, can't wait :)

God Is An Astronaut - All Is Violent, All Is Bright - outstanding post-rock stuff with some keyboards thrown in. Really happy and upbeat album, sorta like "Your Hand in Mine" but with keyboards, and an entire album. I haven't been able to find it on LP and I don't think it exists on vinyl :(, I have ordered a copy of Far From Refuge on LP, but I don't like it nearly as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Here are a few of Portland's finest.

We're From Japan

Aristeia

Colt Vista