Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

dk2m posted:

Saw This Will Destroy You Live for the first time recently. Are post rock crowds just generally dead? I was having fun as gently caress but it seemed like everyone hated being there with their arms folded.

Mogwai coming up next Monday, so we'll see how that goes

I saw this will destroy you play for like 4 people total at sxsw 2008. I think I was the only person who knew of them and I asked them to play ‘the world is our __’ cause it’s one of my favorite songs ever and the guy just laughed at me and said ‘nah, we’re not gonna do that one.’

Thanks, this will destroy you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

after the first minute I wasn't sure where this was going, and then...

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Thinking about seeing MONO next week, how are they live?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

BB2K posted:

Mono absolutely loving rule live

Rageaholic posted:

Soooooooo loving powerful. I can't stress enough how much you should go if you like post-rock/live music at all.

thanks for the advice, caught them and it was bonkers. not a sellout crowd but people were into it.

I really wish people would stop holding up their phones and recording entire songs, though. a) getting in other peoples' way, b) just enjoy the moment. more artists shouldn't allow phones at shows.

BB2K posted:

Bring some earplugs though

Rageaholic posted:

Yeah this haha

I have made the mistake of seeing them without earplugs. They get loud.

every few minutes my watch popped up a giant ear with messages like "you sure, bro? poo poo's loud" and "10 minutes more of this and you'll experience hearing loss," but luckily I had my trusty earplugs in.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Junkenstein posted:

So I guess This Will Destroy You are now called TWDY (Toodee?).

I met them in 2008 in Austin Texas and saw them play for a crowd of literally me and 3 other people.

I pleaded with them to play "The World is Our ___" and one of them said "Nah, we can't look back."

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Jeherrin posted:

Watching them play The Mighty Rio Grande is on my list of things I wish for that’ll never happen.

I wasn’t thrilled by their answer considering at the time they’d released a grand total of 14 songs.

“Can’t look back” indeed.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Godspeed announced 5 shows in a row at the Chapel in SF for mid March 2023.

I should! go to all 5 yeah

yeah?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

GY!BE + Jessica Moss first show last night at the chapel.

super intense.

GY!BE played for 100 minutes without a word to the crowd and from what I could see, a word to each other.

also bought tickets for tonight and tomorrow night.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Rageaholic posted:

New Sigur Ros album in June :dance:

I am 100% going to that Berkeley orchestral show

EDIT: tonight's the 4th GY!BE show I'll attend in as many days.

Beginning to feel like GY!BE is the only band

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'm seeing GY!BE tonight.
Just thought I'd tell someone.
Never been to a postrock show.

I recommend standing on the left side of the stage as close as you can.

Mike and Ephrim sit on that side and are fun to watch.

David, the other guitarist, sits on the right side near the audience but faces the rest of the band, so it's tougher to see him play.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Rageaholic posted:

Got an email from Explosions in the Sky announcing "The End tour". I hope this doesn't mean they're breaking up :smith: Also, they aren't coming here on that tour. poo poo.

how the gently caress do you skip california

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I saw Infinity Shred and Wander last night at bottom of the hill, the smallest venue I've ever been to.

both were excellent live, each band's drummers were absolute machines.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I saw the album leaf in San Jose last night, seeing them again tonight in SF.

I’ve been out of the loop on their stuff for a bit but apparently he’s moved to making smooth jazz with an “end of the world” vibe?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

saw Explosions in the Sky wednesday and thursday at the wiltern in LA.

still amazing.

EDIT: and again last night in SF. bonkers. ended up recording the whole show.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

seeing the renamed KST, formerly Constant & Change tonight. I know maybe a dozen words in Mandarin and they've definitely begun adding vocals in their latest work, but it'll be worth the price of admission if they play this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igEd2xdY5Hk