Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

windwaker posted:

Are you being facetious? It looks like the cover of some lovely metal album. :(

Seriously. That cover is loving tacky. It looks like one of those cheap polar-fleece blankets they sell at those stands in the mall around Christmas. Right next to the Pepperidge Farm gift baskets and beer-can cars.

At least the CD cover is suitable for a post-rock album, even if it is kind of boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
I caught Thee Silver Mount Zion in Montreal last night and it was loving amazing. The new material is brilliant and they debuted a couple new songs that aren't on the new album. Efrim is rocking a new guitar/amp setup and Sebastien has switched out the electric bass for another guitar. Anemones opened and were quite good.

Setlist:
13 Blues for Thirteen Moons
Black Waters Blowed/Engine Broke Blues
Metal Bird
BlindBlindBlind
1,000,000 Died To Make This Sound
There Is a Light

Microphones in the Trees

I believe they played a second encore song as well but I had to leave in order to catch the last subway. Either way, I certainly didn't feel cheated by the length of the show, which was close to 2 hours.

edit: The second encore was "Hang on to Each Other"

edit2: VVVV I have never had any Constellation or Temporary Residence release warp on me. Perhaps the records are not being stored properly (on top of each other)? VVVV

Bliggers- fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 30, 2008

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wait, DFA1979 is playing shows again?! :stare:

Canadian tour with PS I Love You (who loving ownnnn) ongoing, I will be seeing them tomorrow night.

I would be more pumped if the DFA dudes weren't such insufferable twats but whatever. I'm gonna get drunk and bootleg the show specifically because they asked the crowds not to take video.

So tonight I finally got to see Esmerine after waiting like 5 years cause they barely play live and tour even less. The venue was a beautiful church and the crowd was dead silent the entire time, like until the last barely audible note, then a second pause before thundering applause. The kind of crowd that should be at that kind of show.

I got everyone to sign my LPs but Brian was one of those "I don't really sign stuff" kind of dudes so I asked him if he would draw something instead. I ended up with a pair of elaborate eyes on Aurora and a horse coming out of the curtains on the front of La Lechuza. I also picked up Charles Hayward's Trademark Ground EP with the laser etching #27/300. Apparently Sarah Neufeld from Arcade Fire opened the show but I was at work at missed her set, but she did play with Esmerine so it's all good.

Oh and dude who loving FORGOT about seeing Godspeed: you should probably re-evaluate your life at this point. How can that even happen?

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Montreal, one day break, Ottawa is loving perfect for me to hit both shows. Excellent.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Got a floor for Montreal for 80$ , I'm going to wait for general sale for Ottawa as tickets are only 41$, 51$, or 61$ and presale is 77$ plus the 10$ fee.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I made a discovery today. I don't know if I've mentioned the post-rock facebook page, but it's very good and you should all subscribe. Additionally, here's a website I hadn't heard of AND two polls you should do.

Who the gently caress names their postrock band Autism?

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
I am super pumped to see Do Make Say Think tomorrow night in Toronto! I haven't seen them in 2 years and Wavelength put together an insanely good lineup with Evening Hymns, Sarah Nuefeld of Arcade Fire, Doom Squad and Bernice all for $15.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Cymbal Monkey posted:

:drat:

Dat deal, man. I really hope Do Make Say Think release something new soon.

So they played as the original 5 piece; just Ohad, Chalres, Justin, James, and Dave. Ohad played a telecaster instead of the hollowbody I've seen him use before. They also had a micro-korg, a roland and another synth set up as well which I don't recall from last time I saw them 2 years ago.

They hit the stage shortly after 1 and played til past 2:30am (latest Toronto show I've ever been to) ripping through mostly old material except the encore "Do"

They also played a song that they had never ever played live before, "Anything For Now" off &Yet &Yet. Amazingly, all of the reviews I have been able to find so far completely fail to mention this but I did find A RECORDING!!!

http://mechanicalforestsound.blogspot.ca/2013/02/recording-do-make-say-think.html?spref=tw

Oh and Sarah Nuefeld was awesome and she brought Colin Stetson out, who owns the barri sax. Evening Hymns were great as always. Excellent times and I love that Toronto finally has an awesome venue with the Great Hall.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Anyone going to see Efterklang on their North American tour that starts tonight? I've been waiting years to see this band, seems like they always conflicted with something in the past.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I really want to but alas, the shows I could make are 21+. I like Piramida but wasn't crazy about it, not like Parades.

Time to get older dude, hah.

Sorry, I'm 29 so it's been a long time since I've considered age restrictions at venues.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

iostream.h posted:

Google isn't helping with a rather dumb question, hopefully some of you guys can help out.

I'm going to see Sigur Ros in a couple of days and was wondering what sort of things they had for sale at their concerts, just t-shirts or what? (I know, go ahead and laugh but it's been YEARS since I've been to a show.) What are the prices like?

I don't want to carry a huge pocketful of cash, I'd rather carry about what I expect to spend, or do the vendors take credit/debit cards?

Large selection of t-shirts (tour ones with dates, album art, girls cut, etc), hoodies, posters and usually some buttons/pins. Maybe some other things like scarves or something. Check out their official store for ideas, they will likely have all new merch for this tour as well.

Shirts will be $30-$40, hoodies $60+, posters $20 and other stuff cheaper. Do not expect to see actual cds or records for sale.

Most of these venues have debit/credit options now but always bring cash just in case.

I'm seeing them wednesday and friday next week.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

iostream.h posted:

Hey, thanks very much!

That's kind of what I expected, I just wanted to be somewhat sure. Disappointing about no vinyl for sale (I'd read that a lot of post-rock and alternate bands do limited pressings and stuff) but not a big thing.

I'll be seeing them in Boston on Tuesday, will you be there?
Been into them for a long, long time now but I've never been in a position to see them live, I absolutely can not wait. Like I said, first live show for me in years, so it's a big deal.
Does anyone know if the venue in Boston has wheelchairs available for use? I had surgery recently and I'm a little worried about going in whilst wearing my 'bootie'. (I should stay home, but gently caress that, I travelled 1200 miles for this show, ain't no way in hell I'm missing it.)

I am going to Montreal and Ottawa, I could have hit Toronto too but I figured two shows is enough. I've seen them twice before.

You should call the venue and inquire about wheelchairs, they might even get you better seats than what you currently have. Plan to show up early, like half an hour before doors open.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Sweet 7" records on the merch table? I am so on that.

Glad you had a great time, I'm out the door on the 3 hour drive to Montreal!

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Everyone loving go see Sigur Ros on this tour holy good sweet lord what a pair of shows I just witnessed.

Seriously go. This has to be the best they have ever been live.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

I'm going to Tuesday after next and I can't wait oh god :ohdear:

If you are on the floor, ask the lighting guy for a setlist, he's the only one with a copy except for those on the stage. I got the Montreal setlist but someone beat me to the Ottawa one because I was in the seats and didn't get there in time.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
The sound is incredible. The light show is just perfect. The crowds are respectful and enthusiastic. It's everything you could want from a concert. Montreal was a massive with the stage pushed back quite far but the stage in Ottawa was smaller and much closer to the seats.

Set-times:
Tim Hecker 8:00-8:30
Sigur Ros 9:00-11:00

Merchandise:
Hoodies $60
Shirts (about 6 different styles/colours) $35
Bandana $20
Box of guitar picks $15
Valtari 2xLP $30
Varud 10" $15
Valtari CD $15
Valtari Films DVD $15
Poster $20

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

89 posted:

Where do I find the lighting guy???? I'm gonna be in Austin for Sigur Ros for next Wednesday holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo HOLY poo poo!!!!

He's right behind the sound guy on the floor.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

At Bayou Music Center to see Sigur Ros, and holy loving god the opener is boring. It's one dude playing synth that sounds like a mixture of PSX and N64 era soundtracks (but not nearly as interesting) and music you'd hear in educational videos at an aquarium :cripes:

There's a hell of a crowd here and it doesn't seem like anyone's really digging him.

Tim Hecker? Yeah he's pretty amibient.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
MONO ARE TOURING NORTH AMERICA THIS FALL

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
They've announced Montreal and Toronto shows for the 6/7 as well.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
I am not at all surprised that Reddit hosed that up as bad as they did.

For fucks sakes. :negative:

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Godspeed won the Polaris Prize tonight, did not perform or show up to the ceremony, and have announced they will donate the $30,000 cash prize to music programs inside Quebec prisons.

Edit: All hell broke loose up here after this statement was released, mainly due to backlash over GYBE taking government grant money to fund their tour.

A FEW WORDS REGARDING THIS POLARIS PRIZE THING

hello kanada.
hello kanadian music-writers.

thanks for the nomination thanks for the prize- it feels nice to be acknowledged by the Troubled Motherland when we so often feel orphaned here. and much respect for all y’all who write about local bands, who blow that horn loudly- because that trumpeting is crucial and necessary and important.

and much respect to the freelancers especially, because freelancing is a hard loving gig, and almost all of us are freelancers now, right? falling and scrambling and hustling through these difficult times?

so yes, we are grateful, and yes we are humble and we are shy to complain when we’ve been acknowledged thusly- BUT HOLY poo poo AND HOLY COW- we’ve been plowing our field on the margins of weird culture for almost 20 years now, and “this scene is pretty cool but what it really loving needs is an awards show” is not a thought that’s ever crossed our minds.

3 quick bullet-points that almost anybody could agree on maybe=

-holding a gala during a time of austerity and normalized decline is a weird thing to do.

-organizing a gala just so musicians can compete against each other for a novelty-sized cheque doesn’t serve the cause of righteous music at all.

-asking the toyota motor company to help cover the tab for that gala, during a summer where the melting northern ice caps are live-streaming on the internet, IS loving INSANE, and comes across as tone-deaf to the current horrifying malaise.

these are hard times for everybody. and musicians’ blues are pretty low on the list of things in need of urgent correction BUT AND BUT if the point of this prize and party is acknowledging music-labor performed in the name of something other than quick money, well then maybe the next celebration should happen in a cruddier hall, without the corporate banners and culture overlords. and maybe a party thusly is long overdue- it would be truly nice to enjoy that hang, somewhere sometime where the point wasn’t just lazy money patting itself on the back.

give the money to the kids let ‘em put on their own goddamn parties, give the money to the olds and let them try to write opuses in spite of, but let the muchmusic videostars fight it out in the inconsequential middle, without gov’t. culture-money in their pockets.

us we’re gonna use the money to try to set up a program so that prisoners in quebec have musical instruments if they need them…

amen and amen.

apologies for being such bores,
we love you so much / our country is hosed,
xoxoxox
godspeed you! black emperor

Bliggers- fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 24, 2013

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
I can report from the show last night that MONO are as awesome as ever.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
I would love to get my hands on that but no shipping overseas

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

angus725 posted:

Oooh, they're coming to Toronto in May.

Any suggestions when I should buy the tickets?

No rush, I don't think they usually sell out. I've been to the last 4 Toronto shows and will be hitting this one too because I won tickets through the promoter. You should follow Collective Concerts on fb/twitter, they will likely give more away closer to the show.

CC also hooked me with pairs for the Black Angels & Roky Erikson and Gary Numan.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
6th Mogwai show for me tomorrow night and the first show in Toronto in a decade to not take place at the Phoenix.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

polynominal-c posted:

Although The Most Staccato Thing in the Universe would be a great name for a post rock band. But maybe a bit too short.

Give Us The Most Staccato Thing In The Universe Or Give Us Death

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

strap on revenge posted:

i would pay good money to see them play the hawk is howling in its entirety but i can't justify $75 on a ticket when i don't have interest in the majority of the setlist :(

$75 tickets and apparently they are playing gigantic venues? I just saw theyve nearly sold out Sydney Opera House tonight,

What the hell is going on in Australia? (other than racism)

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
I just preordered Taka's album on that limited black haze pressing and also grabbed this while it's only 29€ http://pelagic-records.com/shop/cds-dvds-books/mono-the-last-dawn-rays-of-darkness-tour-photo-book-2xcd/

Only 12€ For shipping to Canada! Not bad!

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
I went to the Do Make Say Think 20th anniversary show in Toronto the other night. It was, of course, one hell of a show; featured some new tracks off their apparently in-progress new album and some deep cuts amongst the classics. Justin (guitar) and Jay (saxophone) are friends of mine so it was very lovely to see them and celebrate a great great band hitting such a huge milestone.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
The Ocean is a great for people looking into heavier post rock as their albums come with fully instrumental versions.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Starsnostars posted:

I used to go to loads of post rock shows alone and I'd always see the same people at the shows who would also be alone. We never spoke to or acknowledged each other.

The true post rock concert experience

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
There was a single $250 VIP ticket left by the time I got to the Toronto presale. Now I am no stranger to blowing money on VIP because private entrance / front row ticket / exclusive merch / meet the band can be pretty worthwhile. But that is a poo poo ton of money for a single ticket in the 9th row and signed diary.

E: EITS announced more dates and I got Montreal tickets for $27 each plus fees.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
I've got EITS and Godspeed back to back this Sunday/Monday in Montreal. Pretty hyped to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
What's the set list like on this MONO tour? I'm debating going to Montreal Wednesday to see them