Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.

Beleg posted:

Has anyone heard of If That Is What Is Being Thought, Liberated Sound Talks The Depth Of "Musical" World. by te'?

They're a pretty rocking post-rock band from Japan. They have a different sound from mono though, in case you're wondering. It's more of a God is an Astronaut meets Mogwai meets Slint kinda sound.

Té are one of my favourite bands, I've got all their albums/EPs and their live DVD, which is well worth getting if you're into their music. Kotoba... and Sore wa... are my favourite releases, just because they're a lot more consistent than the first album, but also have more variety. Some of their videos are also up on youtube, most linked to each other in the related videos box:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=q7cbA5xxq5w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.

Beleg posted:

So I managed to track down Sore wa.. and listened to it, and it's so much better than Liberated Sound. I agree with what you said about it being more consistent. The drums are definitely key to the band's unique sound. However I can't seem to find Kotoba, is it an EP?

It's the one with the orange cover (full name in Japanese if you want to search for it is 言葉を用いて奏でる者は才能に在らず、ただの記憶に「過」ぎぬ ), I don't know if there are other versions but the one I have is 2 disc, the 2nd being a short documentary DVD of their US tour with a couple of live songs.

There are 2 songs from the new album on there, another that wasn't included, and the last track is just a bunch of noise and screaming. The only real difference in sound is the drums, so if you have the new album it might not be worth the cost of importing it, even if the one extra track is one of my favourites. I think I ordered it from Amazon.co.jp, along with the new album and DVD, which came to £40, before the £15 customs I was charged.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.

windwaker posted:

What song is in the video (like, which track/album specifically, there might be some translation discrepancies)? 5:12 in that video is really amazing, when they finally deviate from the same line of melody into a crazy freakout.

'We promise with a view to hope, but the reason to accomplish what we promised would be fear,' track 9 from their first album.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.

Olaf Oleeson posted:

Ok, so a few years ago I listened to a bit too much post-rock, and now I'm completely burnt out on it.
Can anybody recommend me some good original sounding post-rock (as in no mono/eits/mogwai/godspeed clones)?

I need something as fresh as 65dos was back when I first listened to them.

Anyone?

Not many people have heard or ever mention Té, but they're one of my favourite post-rock bands, and about as far from the GYBE/EitS style as you can get. Some of their songs are up on their myspace page, Avarice... being my favourite song of their's:

http://www.myspace.com/tejapanese

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.
Another two bands which I haven't seen posted in here before are Left, a solo project of Taka from Mono which is a similar style to some of their songs but with shorter tracks and more strings, acoustic guitars and piano, which reminds me of World's End Girlfriend. The other band is another solo artist, Midoriyama, who's music is nothing but a single guitar soaked in effects, who is also apparently a friend of Mono. They're both very different from most of the other post-rock I've heard if you're looking for something new, providing you can find their music anywhere.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.
For the few té fans in here, they've announced their 3rd album, out October 8th. Hopefully when they go on tour they'll finally come to the UK:

http://tee.daa.jp/ja/web.html

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.

artificial posted:

have a new album out! I've only listened to it a couple of times, but it's stunning.

I've got the new CD too, I haven't listened to it too much but I really like it so far, especially track 7. I just hope they take this album on tour outside Japan sometime soon.

Also, I just found out they've made a video for track 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwsAuL5ff2o

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.

Beleg posted:

I know this was a long time coming, but they've finally announced their album release! I went to their last show in KL. It was a small, cold and dark room with a couple hundred or so of us and it was truly one of the best gigs in my life. They played two new songs, one of which I think was Ashes in the Snow, which really is the most intense song I've ever heard from them. They're one of the bands that you absolutely have to hear live to fully appreciate the breadth of their music.

I saw them in Birmingham (UK), co-headlining with Jesu, with Mothertrucker opening. There was only maybe 100 people there and Jesu was abysmal, but it was the best gig I've ever been to, nothing comes close to seeing Yearning live. They played another new song at that gig too, but I can't remember much of it, other than it wasn't Ashes in the Snow.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.
For the 3 people here who listen to the band, té have a new DVD out, "音楽を汚すものは、悦楽でも、惰性でも、官能でも無い。 現実が要求する打算と、経験から生まれる熟慮、それに反省。 現実を汚す音楽を救えるものは、受取手の無垢という表現", which has 20 live songs and 2 PVs.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.

cardedagain posted:

where can this be purchased online?

I got it from the Japanese HMV site for about £24 with postage, I think amazon.co.jp was even more than that. Definitely worth it though, I would've bought the other albums/DVD with it to balance out the shipping costs but I already have them all.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.
I found another new band through last.fm yesterday - Tuna Laguna, who sound to me like a mix between té, Samuel Jackson Five and Nobuo Uematsu, yet they also have songs that remind me of Al DiMeola. My Lunar Boots wouldn't sound out of place in LittleBigPlanet.

You can download their entire 1st EP from their site, plus a couple of tracks from their album on their site, and listen to a couple more here.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.
Has anyone else heard about the supposed new album from Sigur Rós?

http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/news/?p=1313

Apparently, someone asked Orri in a newspaper article if all the side projects the band members are releasing soon mean they're breaking up, and he answered by saying they're finishing up their latest full-length album, although it wont be out until next year. He says it'll be more ambient, 'out there', 'gloomy' and 'bitter' compared to the last two albums, which could maybe mean something more like (). While I liked Með suð..., I wouldn't rate it anywhere near Ágaetis and () and I do hope they go back to the darker style of those albums.

Lord of Sword fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 29, 2009

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.

The Flying Milton posted:

I love Te' and If That Is What Is Being... and have been listening to it for months. Do they have any more albums and where can I get them? I'm having a horrible time finding them on the internet.

They have 2 other albums besides that one, and 2 EPs but everything besides I think one track on those was rerecorded for the LPs that came after them, and none of those have been released outside Japan. They also have 2 DVDs (one black, one white), black being the better one just because they had more songs released when it was recorded.

The last album is my favourite of the three, but it's really expensive to import. They've also released a video for track 3.

If you like té, there's a similar band called LITE also from Tokyo, but I think they're more towards math-rock than post-rock while té are usually the other way around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM7oioKt7XE

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Definitely. If any of you get a chance to go see them, TAKE IT. You won't regret it one bit.

They're already on tour again, at least in Europe. I'm seeing them in March for the 3rd time in less than 3 years, I don't know any other band that tours practically non-stop year after year like they do.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.
So Sigur Rós have decided to completely scrap the album they recorded last year which was due out in a few months, and are apparently on an indefinite hiatus. I really hope they at least still release the Ágaetis Byrjun anniversary edition, preferably with a studio version of Nya Lagið.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/jan/28/sigur-ros-indefinite-hiatus

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.

ol moon in the sky posted:

Sigur Ros' is mostly hopeful yeah, but to me at least Untitled 8 and Hun Joro (closest spelling I can achieve on the fly) are some of the darker songs I've heard out of the genre. I can understand how someone would disagree that 8 is dark, but to me it comes off as an incredibly dark song.

I'd add Ny Batteri and Hjartað Hammast to that list too, it sounded like the new album was going to be similar until they scrapped it.

The Ninth Layer posted:

GYBE was the second post-rock band I listened to after EiTS and I didn't have any problem getting into them; Lift Your Skinny Fists quickly became of my favorite albums and even after listening to it about a dozen times I still get excited when I hear those songs.

This was the exact order I got into post-rock with, and I still think Sleep and Storm are the best songs the genre has ever produced.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.

Rhgr posted:

Nadja should be right up your alley.

What are you basing this on? Yeah, 90% of new post rock bands are basically EITS ripoffs, but there's a lot going on with that other 10%.

I like a lot of the bands in that 10% more than some of the 'classic' post-rock bands, especially sleepmakeswaves. I don't know any other band that sounds like them but they're still as post-rock as you can get. Plus it seems to have branched out or merged with other genres like math-rock or prog.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.
té's new album is out (敢えて、理解を望み縺れ尽く音声や文字の枠外での「約束」を or 'the purple one' as I'll be calling it). It's mostly like the first half of the last one, only not so much post-rock, more like LITE.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.
Why does every band that comes to the UK decide to play all around the edges and never anywhere near the middle? The middle is closest to everybody by average, and is also where I live. It's a least a two hour drive to any of those so unless they announce more dates that's another tour I'm missing.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Apparently I could go see GYBE for as little as a tenner in Bristol in October. I think I'd be silly not to take that up but I'm a little unsure of how they'd be live, though.

There are loads of recordings on archive.org, and even though they mostly only play individual movements instead of the entire songs, the good recordings sound the same or even better than the albums. It probably depends on acoustics more than anything else with a band like GYBE though.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.

slowdave posted:

I thought the new EITS was kind of interesting at first, but then it descended back to the same old delay pedal boredom they've been churning out for years. Good for them for sticking to their own style I guess. It's just not very interesting anymore.

I like the new album way more than the previous ones for exactly the opposite reason. I never actually listened to any of them besides The Earth... that much, but it seems like their formula was basically the Pachelbel style - building on one riff for 10 minutes getting louder each time. This time there's way more variety in each song, while still sounding exactly like EITS.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.
Mono have announced a new Asian and European tour in the summer. I thought they'd been taking a break to write a new album so maybe they'll be releasing something this year.

http://monoishere.com/dates.htm

I saw them 3 times in 2 years but the nearest one to me is miles away so I'll be missing this one.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.

Rhgr posted:

This must be like the 5th tour in a row where they completely ignore Ireland, is there something about this island that just drives post-rock bands away? :(

I think they usually do back-to-back tours and release the album in the middle, so they'll probably add more in the winter. They always come to Birmingham but skipped it this time so I hope there are still more dates planned.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.

How 'bout This Will Destroy You? Have you checked them out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWitVrXe5tg

I love TWDY, and the ending to this song is probably the best thing they've ever written.

Their new album has leaked too, but from what I've heard it's mostly ambient/drone and I don't really like it.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.

Medical posted:

Give it some time, they might have moved beyond crescendocore, but that's not a bad thing.

I like the first and last tracks, but all 3 times I've seen Mono the opening act was a drone band and I just don't like it at all. TWDY and Young Mountain are two of my favourite albums and I get that they want to move on, but this seems like a step backwards.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.

snortpocket posted:

I'm curious about this as well. They're coming to Denver next week, and as a huge fan of their first two albums, ordinarily I'd be ecstatic - however, Tunnel Blanket was so goddamn boring I actually forgot I was listening to it at one point, and if they're favoring that record over the others on this tour, I probably won't even bother going :(

I'm thinking this too. It's about an hour's drive for me but I bought the ticket before I heard the new album and now I'm not so sure if I should bother. I'll probably still go just in case they play Burial... or Rio Grande because those songs must be amazing live.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.
Sigur Rós have finally released Heima in HD, although it's digital-download only. It does come with 5 new tracks though, including Viðrar vel... and Ny Batteri.

http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/heima/?utm_source=sr1105mail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=heima

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.
There's also Hologram (not their best song but the only non-live one I can find) and Spangle Call Lilli Line.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.
So I got an email off Sigur Rós, with a link to here: http://t.opsp.in/13nG8

Jónsi said last year that they'd be going back into the studio around spring, so maybe this is a new album. The song at the end is new, but the from the video I hope it's as bleak as Ágaetis or ().

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.

Dirp posted:

Just got back from seeing Explosions in the Sky.

They were loving amazing and I rocked so hard.

Take Care is one of my favourite ever albums but I checked their dates and like every band in the UK, they have a bunch of shows together in the north, then the south-east, and nowhere in the middle. The closest show to me is 130 miles or a 10 hr (?) return train journey.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.
I agree with Adebisi Shank. Also Tuna Laguna:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkV7Mdyt4lA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMs3TL4LF1o

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.
Olafur Arnalds is doing another song-a-day thing, this time recorded live in his apartment with a video for each one. It also includes his mom on keyboard. First two are up so far: http://livingroomsongs.olafurarnalds.com/

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.

AtomicDrop posted:

Thank you post-rock thread for introducing me to té. These guys are simply amazing and pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Maybe someday I will warm up to the EITS school of thought, but I've been trying for a few years now and it just doesn't work for me, I guess.

I'm watching té's second dvd right now and I wish I knew what these guys were talking about as at least the bassist seems to be a pretty funny guy. Then again, from what I understand the rhythm guitarist likes to talk about his anime t-shirts, so...yeah.

You might be disappointed then to know that the bassist left the band last year. They found a replacement though and have a new EP out next week, with 3 new tracks and 9 live songs.

They just uploaded a video for the first track yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFpmJpVPVe4

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.
They actually played a couple of shows in the US around 2006, there's a short live DVD on their orange EP of them playing in front of about 10 people.

They're on the same label in Japan as 65dos, GYBE, ASMZ, Do Make Say Think and This Town Needs Guns, so I'm surprised they haven't been to the US/Europe with any of those already.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.
My first thought was Riceboy Sleeps too, and I didn't really like that album too much. I'm also not sure what Orri and Georg and going to be doing when they play this live since it has no drums or bass...

Also anyone who likes SR or Jónsi should check out Low Roar. I think he used to be in an indie pop band in California but moved to Iceland and started writing depressing, low-fi acoustic music. His voice is really similar to Jónsi and Thom Yorke, and he released his first album last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPjwdiD24Kg

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.
I think Valtari is the worst thing they've ever released, and Sigur Rós are probably my favourite band. Með Suð... was like a Jónsi solo album in parts and now Alex Somers is producing we get a Riceboy Sleeps album. I like their older ambient/minimal music, like Straumnes or Álafoss, but this is just the most clichéd post-rock I can imagine.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.

I thought Valtari was the most ambient thing they've done in a while :confused:

It is, but what I mean is they've done 'ambient' before, and done it better than anything on Valtari. Glósóli actually sounds really similar with the type of synths and build-up, except it's not drowned in reverb, doesn't drag on 5 minutes longer than it needs to and actually has guitars and drums.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.
The discog on that page is missing their newest album from 2010 (the 'Purple One', which is how I remember all their albums). None of them besides the first (green) LP have official english titles either which makes them even harder to find.

I usually just wait and buy a couple of their CDs/DVDs at a time since shipping from Japan is so crazy (their 2 live DVDs are also definitely worth getting if you don't already have them).

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.
I got into Tall Ships a couple of months ago, who sound kind of like 65dos but less glitchy, and with lyrics that are usually about science. They announced their debut album for October today, but already have two EPs out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCawktSpEhI

The outro from 3:00 on in this song is just amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt9gPK5ek2g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.
I really hated Tunnel Blanket the first time I heard it. I'd already booked tickets to see them but after hearing that album I never even bothered to go. It's grown on me since, especially the first and last tracks, but I think some of their earlier songs like Burial on the Presidio Banks and the Mighty Rio Grande (two of my favourite ever songs) are fairly droney/ambient while still being interesting.