Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire
Lately I've been listening to a lot of Explosions in the Sky.

Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever is probably my favourite album of theirs. It's really heavy at times and has an interesting texture and an overall gloomy sort of vibe to it. Very interesting to listen to while blasting it on a stereo in the dark.

The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place is probably my second favourite album of theirs. It is very mellow and free flowing, according to their wiki article it was their attempt at writing love songs, so there you go!

How Strange, Innocence is also pretty good, overall it is pretty raw and unpolished compared to their later material but it has something to it. Almost reminiscent of Godspeed You, Black Emperor!

Speaking of which... I've also been a fan of Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada lately.

And of course Young Team by Mogwai, one of my favourite albums of ALL TIME.

Apologies if these bands aren't considered "post rock" or just instrumental rock or whatever, but I think they are "post rock" enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spartak
May 12, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

No you're on the right track but this post is like going into GBS and posting something like "Check out this cat photo his face is happy I call him happycat."

Just kidding... sorta.

Hey, I got indie cred!

Check out Jakob, http://www.jakob.co.nz/bio/index.php

a band from New Zealand, very heavy distorted instrumentals, as well as some light bits, reminiscent of Explosions. cale:drew is probably my favourite album of theirs. Check out the video page for the video for Semaphore to get an idea of probably their best work.

Spartak fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 30, 2007

Spartak
May 12, 2007
I just wanna throw in some recommendations of some great albums I've been listening to:

Maserati - Inventions for the New Season - band from Atlanta, described as "psychedelic post rock"... somewhere.

Don't Mess With Texas (s/t) - http://www.d-m-w-t.com/ - post rock band from Croatia, that as far as I understand formed from the remnants of some other Croatian post rock bands (one of which is also worth checking out Lunar I think they only ever put out one album - Turbo). I really like their self titled album, and so does everyone that I play it to. Their new album Los Dias de Junio is not as good, though I'm slowly getting into it.

Red Sparowes - Every Read Heart Shines Towards The Sun - formed by members from various HydraHead bands, slightly heavier instrumental stuff, with some slide guitar (pedal steel?) thrown in. It's a concept album about the Great Leap Forward believe it or not. I'm also waiting on delivery of this and their first album on LP, can't wait :)

God Is An Astronaut - All Is Violent, All Is Bright - outstanding post-rock stuff with some keyboards thrown in. Really happy and upbeat album, sorta like "Your Hand in Mine" but with keyboards, and an entire album. I haven't been able to find it on LP and I don't think it exists on vinyl :(, I have ordered a copy of Far From Refuge on LP, but I don't like it nearly as much.