Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Goodpart posted:

I'll second the recommendation of Laura - their latest album is really great. I've had it for a while now.

Apart from my somewhat timely discovery of Laura I don't know squat about this genre, which is kinda weird. I'm very slowly dipping my feet in. It's always really appealed to me but I've never known what bands I should be looking at. This thread's been a huge help. :)

I'm currently listening to the stuff on the Samuel Jackson Five's page and it's outstanding! Are there any "must have" albums I should know about? Not to base my tastes on what's already acclaimed but I need to start somewhere, and that's as good a place as any, no?
Of the ones in my collection, these have best withstood the test of time:

-Mr Beast by Mogwai
-Any album by Godspeed You Black Emperor(Yanqui U.X.O. is my narrow favorite, but they are all uniformly excellent)
-Any album by Silver Mt. Zion (This Is Our Punk-Rock is my fave, but again all are good)
-Walking Cloud and Deep Red Sky by Mono (personally, I like these guys better than explosions in the sky, although they sound similar).
-Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn by Do Make Say Think
-Valley of the Giants (self-titled)
-( ) by Sigur Ros
-Kicker in Tow by Hangedup

Depending on which you prefer, it should be pretty easy to draw comparisons to other works. Like if you prefer Godspeed's artsiness and use of samples, then there's Set fire to Flames for more of that. If you like the use of lyrics in Silver Mt. Zion, then Hrsta is a good second choice, etc.
Russian Circles are relatively similar to Sam Jackson Five, and they're quite good.

Also, whoever's looking for harder stuff, Hangedup probably counts as post-rock, and is extremely intense whatever the case. It's like a wall of chaotic sound, which is amazing since it's only two people. One on precussion and one on, I think, cello. Probably my favorite band overall.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 15, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CrazyCanuck posted:

Does Valley of the Giants sound like DMST?
You can definitely hear the influence, but they're really their own sound. They're quite heavily influenced by old western soundtracks, so I guess imagine them in a blender with Ennio Morricone: slower, and with a comfortable western twang.

Now that I think about it, the old-timey style almost makes them sound like a non-yiddish Black Ox Orkestar at some points.

Also, Ego Piano is correct. Each one of those groups is different, but they're usually similar to Godspeed in some way. Hrsta, Set Fire To Flames and Silver Mt. Zion are my personal favorites. (The album Stem Stem in Electro is awesome.)

I've only heard a few Molasses tracks, but I don't remember being too impressed. I think it was their vocalist.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jan posted:

I couldn't help noticing that very little comments were made on A Silver Mt. Zion's 2008 release 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons. I've just now gotten it, even though I know I'll regret it considering I've hated ASMZ more and more with each new release increasing Efrim's screeching.

Having given it a solid listen, I'd say the first 12 tracks are the best. Which is a shame, because the instrumental work on the 4 "real" tracks is flawless.

:suicide:

Complaining about amateur vocals in Zion totally misses the point, but if they really are a dealbreaker you should check out the collaboration they did with Vic Chesnutt. He does all the vocals and they provide the music.