Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I saw Caspian last night in NYC and it was a magical experience. They played for 70 minutes.

Arcs of Command exploded the room like nothing I’ve ever experienced.

I swear the air around the band was quivering with electricity.

Holy moly what a night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Two tracks from On Circles last night!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/caspian/2023/saint-vitus-bar-brooklyn-ny-3a49953.html

It was a real small spot and it rocked so hard. They are definitely work shopping a set list for a bigger tour. It was such a magical intimate night. Quovis was beautiful.

God drat what a night

I was dead center along the back of the room

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Bonk posted:

ArcTanGent 2023 was absolutely unreal. Arrived Thursday afternoon and left Sunday morning - it completely kicked my rear end but the lineup was amazing. Good food & drinks, met cool people and made new friends, really helpful staff, and even the tent setup was pretty decent. I don't know if I'd camp again just because the site is noisy at all hours, but if you can make it, I can't recommend it enough.

Every set I saw was good to great - my highlights were Elder, Devin Townsend, HEALTH, and Igorrr, but Heilung's 90 minute set blew my mind. Video doesn't do them justice.

Only downside was the lack of phone charging stations & wi-fi - both should really be standard at such a long festival. Also, I won my festival pass from Year of No Light but they had to pull out of the festival. So I guess their entire function at ATG was literally just getting me there.

Elder is one of my favs. That looks like a really cool festival. Did you catch Russian Circles?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I’ve been listening to a lot of Deathcab lately and it just dawned on me that their song Foxglove Through the Clearcut is very well suited for this thread.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8y5GGvkjxZk&pp=ygUaZm94Z2xvdmUgdGhyb3VnaCBjbGVhciBjdXQ%3D

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I have! Though I think I prefer the regular version of that album. I only just listened to the acoustic this afternoon and it was while I was focused on work. I should give it a second chance.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I think Asphalt Meadows is my favorite Deathcab album.

I’ve been wallowing around in a music rut for a few weeks and then I remembered I liked Asphalt Meadows when it was new so I turned it on and it turns out the entire album is exactly what I’ve been looking for.

I relate right now to a lot of the feelings that album makes me feel. I also really enjoy the lyrics! There’s some real good stuff in there, Rand McNally comes to mind.

It opens with:
A Rand McNally atlas, cheap coffee stained
Now, I wouldn't know how to use one with my life at stake

Later in the song:
With this Rand McNally atlas dog-eared and frayed
Like Old Testament verses that don't make sense in this decade

I’m a cartographer and just love all this imagery with a map atlas. I can see that atlas. There’s been one like it in every one of my work trucks. And then the jab at printed maps and the Bible. It’s too good! I love it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Nuclear Spoon posted:

honestly just listen to all of caspian in order of release, they're the best in the game

This 100x.

Junkenstein posted:

Mogwai have never been that loud when I've seen them. But several times were in either nice concert halls or outside festivals.

MBV though, yikes. My clothes were flapping

I saw Caspian last year and my clothes were vibrating so hard during arcs of command it’s something I’ll never forget.

I also can’t go to live music without earplugs and enjoy myself. I had to walk out of a show at the chameleon club a few years ago before they closed and I was super bummed but my head felt like it was going to split in two. After that show I bought a pair of earplugs and their maiden voyage was Tool’s Fear Innoculum tour in 2019.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Cat Hassler posted:

Ok I just downloaded a couple Caspian albums cause of mentions here and can’t believe I’d never given them a shot

I don’t know that exactly constitutes Post Metal or Post Rock but they do the same for me as Russian Circles

Holy moley Arcs of Command is an amazing song

Caspian is the best. Russian Circles is really good, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

:bisonyes: indeed.