Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Shitposting to say that I love Jakob. I have Solace and the first track from Sines (which I've since determined is by far the best track off the album). Amazing stuff.

Also I might be seeing Caspian in DC later this month, it's gonna depend on if a friend can go with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

SgtScruffy posted:

Saw the tour opener in DC, and it was great. Though one thing that saddens me is that they didn't play Sycamore . I've seen them play it every time I've seen them, but for those who've never seen them before, it's a treat

I wanted to go to this (and their Richmond show last year), but I'm having health issues and don't think I could stand on my feet for the duration (nor drive to, and navigate, DC). :( I've never seen them.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Maybe I'm blind, but I'm not seeing a download or buy link. Streaming only?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Ugh, I really want to see Caspian on Thursday but I've had health issues the past several years and I don't think I'd be able to stand on my feet for the duration. Plus I'd have to go alone into DC. :(

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

chunkles posted:

Caspian - Tertia

This was my 2nd (first was Mr. Beast, but I think it's "mehhh"), and it blew me away. I let a friend borrow it who had never heard this type of music before and they really liked it as well.

e: I also like pg.lost's Never In Never Out and pretty much anything by Jakob, but they're a bit different and I'm not sure as noob-friendly as Caspian.
e2: I've noticed all 3 of these bands are in the sadbrains tone variety. If you want more uplifting-sounding music, skip these (Caspian does a fair number of nonsad songs though).

suuma posted:

Cult of Luna

Salvation was in a huge mass-buy of albums I purchased recently. I had forgotten how it got on my wishlist but it must've been this thread. The vocals are AWFUL. Completely ruins everything. I must've not listened to whatever sample was given long enough to hear them. This is the only album of all that I bought that I'm just doing to straight-up delete (and refund, if possible).

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 31, 2017

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I like harsh vocals just fine. The cookie monster, a few black metal bands, etc. Cult of Luna is just a guy screaming as loud as he can with absolutely no regard to tone or structure.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Deeply unpopular post-rock take: I have never found Mogwai very interesting

Same. I have Mr. Beast but found it kinda meh. No desire to pursue any of their others.

Especially after I acquired Tertia, and later Solace, both of which blew me away.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Just listened to Jakob's Cale:Drew for the first time (the remaster) and there was a bit of a :aaa: moment on the original final track when the outro is also the intro for Malachite, first track off their next record Solace. That was amazing, wish the bonus track was next-to-last so it had even more impact.

The first two songs on C:D immediately stood out. Absolute bangers. The rest will take more listens probably.

In this batch of music I also bought the Solace remaster and pg.lost's latest (among other insanely good off-topic stuff). Good headphone times are ahead.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

"Samey" is not a criticism I would think of to direct at Jakob; I really like their style so I always want more of it. I'm also not a fan of wild tempo or style changes.

I was actually hearing The Diffusion of Our Inherent Situation in my dreams last night, that's when you know you like a song I guess.

e: Something I've noticed Jakob is really good at - making actual music out of chaotic guitar distortion/feedback/etc. Like, with their loudest movements with lots of guitar noise, they control it in a way where it always has a structure that fits with the drums/bass. That's super neato.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 18, 2018

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

strap on revenge posted:

Jakob are arguably louder and are a trio

Yesterday I learned that they had several music videos done for some of their earlier stuff. Very cool, but the quality is a bit shite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpj8za4b_pc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q727j0yXSt8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFBr526oq9c

That last one made me loving weep. I have no idea why, I really love the song though.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Woa, he's got one of those guitars that's like, double guitars.

What's that blue-light thing he's using on the bass part?

Makes me think... with those repeater pedals and some electronic drums, you could feasibly do something like this by yourself. :aaa:

I mean, play some drums for a minute, repeat them. Get on the bass, repeat it. Repeat a guitar riff. Put another bass layer in. Then another guitar layer. Then some extra cymbals, then more guitar etc. etc. Eventually you'd have this insane cacophony similar to what most post-rock sounds like at full-tilt.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 6, 2018

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Found this while browsing live footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxsqKGhoF4w

Really interesting.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I am going to listen to each and every one of those to see if anything catches my ear. Thx!

I think I read on FB that Caspian is doing something album-wise in 2019.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

If you want uplifting, Caspian's most recent (Dusk and Disquiet) is probably a no. There are tracks of pure loving pain on it, I can hear it somehow. Waking Season is probably good, as are their first two (Four Trees, You Are The Conductor).

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

poo poo, Jakob opening for Alice In Chains next week. How do I get to Auckland, NZ?

e: $1300, oof

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 27, 2019

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Sorry for the FB link, but I don't do Twitter so it's all I got. Caspian is in the studio recording LP #5. They have a new drummer apparently.

https://www.facebook.com/CaspianTheBand/posts/10157138867425675

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Thanks, going in my wishlist. Huge sound.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

The post-rock that I go for is generally extremely bleak-sounding (Jakob, pg.lost). But I don't think that's what "emo" persay is all about. When I first heard the term, I was like "cool, I like Stabbing Westward" but apparently that's not what it means?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

New Caspian album soon (Jan 24th).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN5iFskr0iM

Very positive-sounding, a stark contrast to their previous. Although this is just one track, I've not heard the others. Having aurally-mainlined Jakob the past couple years I'm not sure I'm into the uplifting post-rock anymore but I digress. Caspian is also doing a US tour next spring, which has several dates near me, so I might try to see them this time!

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Welp, I bought a ticket and reserved a parking space for the Durham, NC show. The Richmond show is closer to me but I'm driving down to attend the concert with someone very special who I haven't seen in a long time.

Also the venue's restaurant has POUTINE, I've always wanted to try it. :yum:

e: anyone else seen Caspian live? Will I need earplugs?

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 15, 2019

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Saw on The Book Of Faces a few weeks ago that Jakob is also working on something. No announcement yet, just pics of Boyle in his home studio.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A human heart posted:

You could wear headphones for a while?

Good Av/post combo.

What do you consider "90's Dad rock"? The only things that come to mind for me were holdover stuff from the previous decade like Aerosmith and Guns N Roses.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

She loveloveloves The Red Hot Chili Peppers and...’I dunno that’s honestly about it? Maybe some Nirvana here or there.

Grunge/post-grunge/90's Alternative is considered "Dad rock" now? Yikes. I'm not a big fan of RHCP but I do like a lot of stuff from that era and hearing similar acts being called Dad Rock is deeply disturbing. Aging sucks I guess.

I listen to music nearly every day in the car, but I go through periods ranging from several weeks to several months without putting on anything from my personal library. Minus once a week when I do laundry - I crank the tunes (reasonably, I share an apartment with others) when I fold the clothes or make the bed. Sitting in silence doesn't sound horrible to me!

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 26, 2020

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Yeah, initially Caspian just cancelled the first half of their tour, including the show I had tickets for in mid-April. The rest of the dates were still open until recently when they cancelled all the rest.

I listened to Waking Season in full the other day, great album. I'll have to give On Circles another go as it didn't grab me right away.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

kumba posted:

Godspeed You! Black Bean Taco

:lol:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Their new album didn't really grab me the way their others did (Tertia was mind-blowing), but seeing them perform is absolute magic. I have a better appreciation for these 4 songs now.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

New Pg.Lost album due out Nov 20th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD1Ne-BzvlU

I quite like this.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

New music video from the upcoming pg.lost album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8H6pFMHfaQ

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Hell yeah, cool song. I like what they do. I don't have that album in my library, only In Never Out and Versus. My brief experience with Spotify turned me on to them. I don't know if that's how the service still works because I haven't used it since then, but at that time (2011? 2012?), it was a lot like Pandora where you'd start a station seeded with a band or two and they'd play you more stuff like it. My seed was just Caspian because I was super into Tertia and Waking Season, so I basically listened to post-rock all day at work when I was still very new to the genre. Lots of interesting stuff (I seem to recall Toe, Shels, TWDY off the top of my head), but my favorites were Jakob and Pg.lost (specifically Jura and Crystalline).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-NI0368sGo

How do you pronounce the band name verbally? Is it "pee gee dot lost"?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

New song from SOM (members of Caspian, Junius and Constants)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcwyLCipWdc

Junius and Constants are two very cool bands. I guess they're kinda post-rock-y? Not sure what to call them, really. Post-shoegaze? Both have vocals. Junius turns the reverb up to absurd levels. I have an album from each in my library, they are both very good (Junius' Martyrdom and Constants' Foundation), and I would certainly buy more in the future.

Anyway, thanks for the link, good song.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

internet celebrity posted:

Some tracks like Ceiling Granny feel like they want to do dream pop/shoegaze but aren't willing to commit to it fully.

This caught my attention. I wouldn't call myself a Mogwai fan, but I've been really digging the shoegaze sound lately so I will check out the album now. Hum released a new album last year that was along those same lines. I wonder if the Minor Victories project (Braithwaite + Rachel Goswell of Slowdive) had anything to do with it.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I don't have an active Twitter account so I can't post whatever announcements they've made there, but I've been seeing on FB that Jakob is currently writing/recording a new album. It's been 7 years since their last one (Sines). I'm really looking forward to it.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Same, I was going to see Caspian in Durham, NC last year and also meet up with a friend I haven't seen in years, but welp.

I guess it was sometime in 2019, I saw that Jakob was opening for Alice In Chains in Auckland, and I actually considered purchasing a $1400 plane ticket to go see them.

I've never been to a post-rock show. I've only been to 3 concerts total, due to Social Anxiety Disorder and other head issues that keep me isolated and miserable at home. Lockdown/quarantine is actually very similar to my normal life.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 11, 2021

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I have two Albini Albums™ in my library.

Nirvana's In Utero sounds amazing and his style was a perfect match for what the band was trying to do.

Failure's Comfort, on the other hand... The drums sound ok but there's almost zero effects on the guitar and bass and this is a band whose magnum opus (Fantastic Planet) lays it on thick. Comfort is a real dud production-wise. Those songs were also meant to contain Greg Edwards' fretless Wal bass (I've heard the demos and they are amazing), but before recording he had frets put on it (a mistake, IMO).

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

The name of the event makes me think of a hipster Camp Candy. I'd watch that cartoon.

So attendees are on their own for dinner? I'm guessing there will be stuff like food trucks there to gouge the captive audience.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A couple years ago I picked up Jakob's Subsets of Sets remaster from Bandcamp. Great album, has a real energy that they have not captured on any of their other LPs, imo. It's almost... upbeat on a lot of tracks, I dare to say, which is very different from their usual aural tragedy MO. Around that same time, something else I realized I enjoy is watching travel videos (on mute) while listening to music. Especially new-to-me music. It typically gives something neutral to look at while mindfully listening, but rarely, a magical combination occurs. I don't remember if this was the exact video I was seeing when I hit play on Subsets for the first time (as there are multiple videos on the travel channel with the same motif), but it is similar and works pretty well.

1. Load the album version of Drive Here and Then (1st track from Subsets) from whichever source you please. Pause if it autoplays and move slider to 0:00

2. Load this video, mute volume, start at 1:26. Normal speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeCOEeDWgaU&t=86s

3. Unpause Jakob track and let it play. Enjoy.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Isn't Shellac Steve Albini's band? That's a rather odd pairing.

Last time Jakob played in NA, they opened for Tool.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

He's a big post rock fan. When he did the Meltdown festival in the South Bank Centre, he had Mono, 65 DOS, Mogwai, God is and Astronaut, PG Lost, Alcest.....

Hm, I've been thinking in recent years that there might be some overlap in musicality between Post-punk, Shoegaze/Dream Pop, and Post-rock. Like, a triple-circle Venn Diagram. I definitely hear aspects of Slowdive when I listen to Jakob, for example.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

It's been a while since I heard anything, but this past spring Jakob was writing/recording something. They played a few gigs in June as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I first got into post-rock with Caspian's Tertia, then later seeded a Spotify account with them (back when Spotify was a Pandora clone). I listened to a lot of post-rock at work for probably a year straight. There were maybe a small handful of songs that were mildly interesting at best, but by and large the majority was dull, overly droney, and unremarkable. Or too flowery and uplifting for my tastes (Caspain certainly does some of that too). This includes all the "big names" that frequently come up in this thread. That is, except for pg.lost and Jakob. Everything I heard from those two groups caught my ear immediately and I'm now a big fan of their work.

So yeah, I'm picky and only like 3 bands of this type. I'd say keep listening, there's probably a group or two within the sub-genre that's right for you.