Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
i would appreciate some recommendations for instrumental post-metal/heavy post-rock like Pelican, Russian Circles, and Windmills by the Ocean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

thanks, dudes- i'm only familiar with TWDY of those mentioned, so that should keep me occupied for a bit

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Russian Circles tour dates:

I just saw them in like February, but sure, I'll go see 'em again in November!

called our work tickets (we sponsor the venue) this morning, but i had no idea Windhand was with them until i saw this post, so now i'm double-stoked

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

they don't sound a loving thing like Embrace, so...

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Omega Massif's Karpatia

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Having a seriously anxious day so I decided to fight it by blasting this 24 hour Sigur Ros track that’s just an AI running stems of their music and weaving it into different, weirder music. I’m 3 hours in and it’s insane how much better I feel with this pretty ambient sound just canceling out all my scary inner thoughts.

It’s called “Route One” if anyone wants to learn more about it

sorry, dude. i actually managed to have a really awesome day because nobody else queued any music for six hours (was alone for the first two) and everything i played was post-rock from a different country

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

ugh, i remember when Spiderland came out

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

Yeah Les Rev rules

yeah, that and Zidane are the two i feel work best as standalone listening experiences; the others are too obviously soundtracks for me

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

This Will Destroy Your Toilet

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

they're opening for Explosions in This Guy

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

yeah, good stuff, dude; the samples are nicely integrated, too

favorite track: All Spectra

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Jehde posted:

Mogwai doing a show this weekend for their new album coming next week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEgwluOVXcA

You need to buy a ticket for an online stream of a video, but I've enjoyed any of these sort of shows I've bothered with so far this pandemic, and it's Mogwai, and I've enjoyed the couple singles they've put out so far, so I'll probably attend.

i guess Alex is the fifth guy in the video? also, Martin better be on the next tour they do....

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

yeah, i'm aware of his health issues- they canceled/postponed an entire US tour at one point- and Cat did fine on the faster, noisier songs, but i felt they left a lot to be desired on the rest of the stuff. to be fair it was also the last date on their last US tour and you could tell they weren't up for it even before they had to stop for a while to get technical issues sorted out.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

internet celebrity posted:

^ Guess it's time to check it out, I haven't listened to Mogwai in years.

On that note, any recs for recent post-rock albums that don't pull too much from the EITS, Tortoise, or Neurosis-style bags of tricks? Here are some I've checked out recently:

listen to Rave Tapes and kill two birds with one stone

some other non-eits-type post-rock i've enjoyed recently: Barrens, Aesthesys, and Kjjjjjjjjj,

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Vesi posted:

counterpoint, luciferian towers is flawless and doesn't have a single wasted second, probably my favourite piece of music

it's certainly not complex and challenging like the first few albums, but it more than makes up for it by being absolutely gorgeous

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

thehustler posted:

Perhaps the frequencies are meaningless

new thread title?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

already called a day off so i can see them in DC and Richmond

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Junkenstein posted:

poo poo like everybody sit down and jump up at the drop in Fear Satan? Actually, that would be pretty hilarious.

seeing the entire crowd jolt at the same time is the best part of any Mogwai show

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

Yanqui UXO is their worst and it's not even particularly close don't @ me

same; it's the only one i never listen to

also, have ticket "service fees" gone up since covid times? jfc

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

yeah, could easily put up a few satisfactory desert island disc lists from stuff he's recorded, but outside of maybe Dirty Three none of it sounds remotely like GYBE. i'm not a musician, but i love watching videos of him working in the studio, too

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

polynominal-c posted:

Wasn't at least one Mono record produced by Albini?

yeah; it might even be two releases

Simone Magus posted:

I found the other person on earth who knows who McLusky is!!!

Do Dallas would be on my Albini-only list

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

i saw them two nights in a row and stood on one side each night and i had a lot more fun on the right watching sophie play violin

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

who is not wearing earplugs to a mogwai show in the year of our lord 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

mogwai are the loudest thing i've experienced, and i've seen manowar