Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

July 12th in Osaka, Japan.

Do you hear that? That's the sound of thousands of post-rock fans weeping because they won't be able to attend this show.

The first time I ever saw Mono I was there for the support — who was Jesu. I'd never heard Mono before; I think Jesu had just released Lifeline. I went on my own, and it remains one of the standout gigs of my life.

That line up looks too good to be real... holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Rageaholic posted:

New Mono album is out today. What can I say? It's more Mono and I dig it. I'm glad they're still doing their thing.

I'd also like to reiterate that I'd REALLY LIKE TO SEE THEM LIVE AGAIN :smith:

I have only seen them once, in the mid 2000s supported by jesu in a tiny underground club in Glasgow, Scotland, and I went deaf through my earplugs. Absolutely one of the best gigs I’ve ever been to.

Saw Pelican there twice too. Good wee venue.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

BB2K posted:

if you want to hear anything else ever again in your life, dont stand near the speakers

they rule tho

This. Use earplugs. Good ones.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

GBonicus posted:

There’s a truly massive compilation that was just released by The Post-Everything Collective with 100% of the profits benefitting Save the Children for Ukraine. There are 60 songs that should give you a real good taste of some of the less mainstream modern post- bands that are out there. It’s pay what you can over $1 and you can get it here: https://thepost-everythingcollective.bandcamp.com/album/the-post-everything-collective-friends-present-ukrainian-relief-compilation

Post-rock isn’t just EITS, GY!BE, Mogwai, Sigur Ros, and Mono anymore, and there’s some really excellent stuff coming out of the smaller labels these days. There’s bound to be something new here you haven’t heard that you’ll also like, and it’s almost free, so give it a shot!

…and before those bands it wasn’t that either, which is great. I’m ploughing back into the first Tortoise album and it’s a fine voyage of (re)discovery.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Fate Accomplice posted:

I met them in 2008 in Austin Texas and saw them play for a crowd of literally me and 3 other people.

I pleaded with them to play "The World is Our ___" and one of them said "Nah, we can't look back."

Watching them play The Mighty Rio Grande is on my list of things I wish for that’ll never happen.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I wish I could find more post-rock

GY!BE/JESU and drone (SUNN O))) ) rots my soul in the best way possible

The JESU bassist (I think) had a side project called Iroha that might scratch an itch if you like mid-period JESU.

There is also Windmills By The Ocean who as far as I can see are scandalously underrated because no one seems to know them.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Off to ArcTangent this week. Seeing MØL, Maybeshewill, Caspian, MONO, and Alcest.

Absolutely loving hyped.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
ArcTangent trip report: Alcest: incredible. Maybeshewill: good, but not great. Caspian: phenomenal. The energy of those guys was insane. Played stuff from the new record as well as bits from hymn for the greatest generation and dust and disquiet. A burst of Quovis during the sound check.

MONO was loving MONO. No words. Just volume. Sound that just tore through you. I love them. Kind of unbelievably there were people in front of me without earplugs. No idea how they tolerated it, and honestly that’s just dumb AF.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

strap on revenge posted:

don't skip TWDY, you didn't mention them in your last post :kiddo:

I wish. Sadly I can’t make the Saturday (no Godlfesh either…).

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Ofecks posted:

Do they still end with Sycamore (and the drum circle) ?

Nah. This time was Castles High, Marble Bright.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

Something tells me most GYBE fans aren’t big monarchists

But ‘emperor’ is right there in the name

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I went on a TWDY binge and bough everything of theirs I didn’t have on Bandcamp. It’s bliss.

Seeing We Lost The Sea next month. Can’t wait.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Ofecks posted:

A friendly reminder that on the first Friday of every month, the artists on Bandcamp get 100% of the sales revenue. Since being bought out by a corporate entity this year (namely, Epic Games), it's very likely that Bandcamp Friday will be going away (and the usual share for artists will deteriorate), so please take advantage of that while you can. Next one is coming up soon, on Nov 4th.

I have a large wishlist that gets considerably smaller on the first Friday of every month. I just impulse-buy in between that as well.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Tonight was Solkyri (support) and We Lost The Sea (main) in London. WLTS played a bunch of Triumph and Disaster plus some bits from Departure Songs. Played 90m straight without talking once, with only a brief pause before the encore (A Gallant Gentleman).

It was loving spellbinding.

Jeherrin fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 22, 2022

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Looks like Jakob are back in the studio. https://www.instagram.com/p/CnOYDvap40G/

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Cat Hassler posted:

Neat Australian band in the Caspian/Pelican/Russian Circles vein. Tend toward 10 minute songs which I guess you gotta be in the mood for

https://youtu.be/fYgT7K6bSVU?si=yqrNU_9I629rUAUi

Saw them live in London at the end of 22—they were stellar.

Russian Circles just announced a Europe tour in October. Got my ticket already.

Jeherrin fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Saw an excellent post-rock/post-metal lineup this evening.

Support from Codespeaker, Void Of Light, and then a double bill of Din Of Celestial Birds and Hundred Year Old Man.

If you like ISIS/Neurosis/etc, you'll like this lot.