Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..
Lately, I've been hooked on The Pirate Ship Quintet. The last song on their EP, titled Pirate Ship, is excellent and the mix of strings and trumpet really keep me coming back for more.

http://www.myspace.com/thepirateshipquintet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Spartak posted:

Speaking of which... I've also been a fan of Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada lately.

Speaking of Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada, I've been toying with the idea of getting the Hebrew phrase on the album cover tattooed on me somewhere.

Cover for reference:

Opinions?

Also how long until it isn't cool anymore for bands to jump on Explosions in the Sky's dicks?

albear fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 30, 2007

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Bucket Joneses posted:

I don't know if I'm the only one but I'm getting tired of every band being accused of ripping off EITS after being given a cursory listen. It's like people hear loud guitars and drums and immediately write a band off without considering anything else the band is doing.

It's kinda like with metalcore reviews how everyone just has to namedrop Converge or Botch, because they're the only two good bands of that genre.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

windwaker posted:

The only post-rock I really listen to is EitS, El Ten Eleven, and some TWDY. I tried listening to Godspeed You! Black Emperor's F♯A♯∞ (that's pasted from wikipedia), and I really didn't enjoy the random sound effects and places where there's no music. Is any of their other stuff better?

You just might not like GY!BE because that essentially describes them in general. Try listening to one of their sideprojects like A Silver Mt. Zion.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

QVT posted:

I really like the quieter calmer bands like Mono and the Album Leaf, are there any other bands who have a similar calming style?

handmeups posted:

Mono is definitely not quiet or calm. I think they're one of the loudest and most intense bands out there.

For reals. Unless you're just not actually listening to Mono at all, it should be obvious that Mono are not calm. They're one of my favorite live bands of all time for just being so loud and thick. They totally put Pelican to shame in their tour.

albear fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 19, 2007

albear
Jun 7, 2001

After listening to the upcoming This Will Destroy You album, I can safely say it's pretty boring.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, this. Also Cult Of Luna and Jesu. Maserati can be pretty heavy, too.

Check out the band North. I think they might be a goon band, but they have a nice sound that is somewhere between post-rock and post-metal.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

fnordcircle posted:

God Is an Astronaut
Definitely not an EITS rip-off to me, there's a bit more of a New Age music sound going here, others may disagree.

They pull off the "boring" part better (or worse?) than EITS, but they do kinda have a new age sound.

Lately, I can't get enough of Rachel's. They play classical influenced post-rock although there isn't a lot of rock to it. Instead, it's a whole lot of strings, piano, and a little bit of percussion. I recommend Music for Egon Schiele. Here's a fan made myspace: http://www.myspace.com/rachelshandwriting

albear
Jun 7, 2001

windwaker posted:

Are you being facetious? It looks like the cover of some lovely metal album. :(

No way dude, it's loving awesome because it's not a lovely metal band.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Nav Omicron posted:

I'm always down for some Rachel's (I like Handwriting the best) and find it's nice to mix in some Max Richter in the playlist. Try The Blue Notebook or Songs From Before and see if you agree.

Love Max Richter. Failed my business law class a few years ago because I decided I would rather listen to him on my iPod than the lecture.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

warzero. posted:

65daysofstatic are just fine how they are, thank you.

65daysofstatic (or any band) becoming like Battles would be the reason I stop listening to them.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Cpt Stabbin posted:

Have The Evpatoria Report been named yet? Well here we go then...

http://www.myspace.com/theevpatoriareport

Awesome band from Switzerland.

Yes, a few posts above you.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

JaWs posted:

Grails Nadja Pontiak. Pontiak.

Nadja.

Nadja.

Grails.

Grails.

Grails. Grails. Grails.

Grails. Russian Circles. Daughters. Grails!

Geez, think you could bold more band names? This is all I could see from this entire post.

albear fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 29, 2008

albear
Jun 7, 2001

suddenlyissoon posted:

Low Level Owl is the only worthwhile thing The Appleseed Cast ever really did and it could definitely fit in the post-rock genre. I don't understand how they went from emo to pretty much one of the greatest albums ever, and a double album at that, back to just lovely emo again.

i dont think you know what emo is. appleseedcast lol

albear
Jun 7, 2001

science in motion posted:

It was pretty much all done on garageband with the addition of some midi controllers and a few other keyboards. The drums were all sequenced in GB as well. A lot of it was actually done before I was even a part of the project so I don't know exactly how most of the production process went. We are in the process of doing pre-production for the first proper studio recording, so that will hopefully bring the sound up to a whole new level and allow us to get really creative with it.

oh hey what's up

albear
Jun 7, 2001

CzarDestructo posted:

Oh come on! The earth is not a cold dead place is so much more refined, exceptionally well mastered and just plain epic.

EiTS fight 123 go

that must've been the first time you heard of eits when that album came out. it's okay, us old schoolers think that album is alright

albear
Jun 7, 2001

holy poo poo neil on impression released a new album

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Kerpal posted:

Echoing support for The Samuel Jackson Five, Alcest, and even Agalloch and Fen (as metal as they are post-rock). Is there anything Similar to the Red Sparrowes that isn't Isis, Russian Circles, or North?

Pelican? They are similar to Isis I'm pretty sure. I don't really like that metally post-rock poo poo.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Spekkio posted:

Post Rock from Sydney, Australia:

Sleepmakeswaves
In Today Already Walks Tomorrow

http://www.myspace.com/sleepmakeswaves
http://www.last.fm/music/Sleepmakeswaves

They recently did a split EP with Perth band Tangled Thoughts of Leaving - also worth checking out:
http://www.myspace.com/ttol

I got excited for a second thinking they had released a new album. Whoops, not only did this come out last year but I also already have it. The split too.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Jan posted:

Hint: the vocals are an instrument, not a lead.

This is how I treat all vocals.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

So how are Gifts from Enola live? I'm seeing them tomorrow night I think.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Jetstar posted:

I've never been to one myself, but I've heard good things about them. I bet their sound translates good into a live format too.

I'm not lucky enough to live near any major concert spots, so I've never heard a band (that I like) live. My best bet is probably EITS, if they ever decide to hit up Indiana for a show. Speaking of EITS, they have a new album in the works last time I heard. Any word on that besides the newsletter they sound out a month back?

I ended up not being able to see them. Their show fell through at the bar they were supposed to play at but they ended up getting a show at some local band's house but they weren't playing until 11 and I gotta be in bed by 12.

thehustler posted:

Caspian LP's leaked.

S'good.

Edit: One of the songs appears to be duplicated.

Yeah, apparently it's a web rip that the band accidentally uploaded but has removed now.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Okay, well I guess what I was trying to say is I see that phenomenon sometimes pretty commonly here around the Houston scene where there is sometimes a rift between certain people at shows. For example at the recent Emarosa show the pit was getting pretty crazy at times and it was obvious that many fans who expected a "softer" show were getting butthurt over a little shoving by the "meat head" hardcore kids, the attitude that energy is bad for a show just kind of irks me especially as long as nobodys getting like stabbed or something

I think the issue here is that you went to see Emarosa.

Also, not understanding the Irepress love in here. They sound really boring to me. It kinda sounds like bad metalcore without most of the stupid vocals.

albear fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 30, 2009

albear
Jun 7, 2001

wlokos posted:

Mono are so boring and overrated, I don't understand why people like them so much. It's typical sloooow buiiildup type post rock with lots of big ADD DISTORTED GUITARS! climaxes and the songwriting itself is really boring and plain and ugh. I don't like them at all, they never even change up their sound as far as I've heard.

GY!BE on the other hand wrote some really cool stuff obviously.

:irony:

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Capitan Dad posted:

i'm going to mono on october 8th, that's pretty much going to rule I bet

Mono is one of the best live bands ever.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Capitan Dad posted:

interesting you would all say mono is good live because I have their euro tour dvd and it's boring as heck (partial sarcasm)

Maybe it's because you're watching a DVD.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

albear posted:

Maybe it's because you're watching a DVD.

As opposed to watching them live.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Listening to the new Pelican album now, and it's not very impressive at all :(

The whole thing's very samey

Well, you just described how I feel about all Pelican and what I thought about them when I saw them live.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

I don't get the Caspian love in this thread because Tertia was awful except for The Raven but one song doesn't make the entire album not awful.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

I'm confused by the last page's love train of 65daysofstatic. They're like the Lady GaGa of post-rock and the new track is just loving awful. TWDY is also really generic too.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Isis, Pelican, Russian Circles and those bands aren't dark. They're just heavier.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

When I think of dark, I immediately think of Chopin, not some band that is all wall of boring distortion like Pelican.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Alright, sorry. But when I'm trying to think of "dark" post-rock, that's what comes to mind. I think of that stuff as darker, and "Your Hand In Mine"/Sigur Ros type post-rock as lighter. Is that really wrong?

I can see Godspeed being dark, but even though they were the fist post-rock band I ever heard, I can't in good conscience recommend them as a starter band to anyone trying to get into post-rock. Their stuff isn't terribly accessible and not many other post-rock bands have their kind of sound, so I wouldn't see they're a great representation of the genre as a whole.

Heavy and dark aren't the same thing. I can agree that "Your Hand In Mine" and Sigur Ros are very much hopeful sounding though.

Also I'd say that GYBE are a great representation of the genre considering every other post-rock band pretty much has been influenced by them at one point or another. Maybe you can't get into them as easily but I think they can be very accessible.

An album I think is pretty dark sounding is A Silver Mt. Zion's first release. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_W7ydnPtB4

albear fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 21, 2010

albear
Jun 7, 2001

I think anyone who gets into post-rock and has heard a lot of it and likes it should listen to Godspeed, so they can see how they influenced basically every post-rock band. I just don't think someone who wants to get into post-rock should listen to them when they're just starting out with the genre.

Think about it, what's more likely to turn someone on to a certain style of music? A 5 or 10 minute long song that has poo poo going on for its entire duration, or a 25 minute long song where nothing of value happens for the first 5 minutes?

Depends on if they're someone who comes from a background listening to pop music where they need immediate gratification from their music or someone who can be patient to get the payoff of having such great build ups.

You're also very much overstating the calm parts during GYBE songs but if you get bored, I guess you can put on This Will Destroy You or something. That should be derivative enough to get the gist of what GYBE offered to the music community.

albear fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 21, 2010

albear
Jun 7, 2001

I know my opnion isn't the most popular here when it comes to GYBE, I just think that buildups can be done just fine, even better than Godspeed's with shorter songs. Personally, I'd rather listen to a song that always has something going on that warrants me listening to it, as opposed to Godspeed where that only happens for a percentage of the runtime of one of their songs.

It's not that I hate ambience or anything. Hell, I've made ambient music myself. And one of my favorite bands is The Mars Volta. I just think there's a right way to do music like that and a wrong way, and while Godspeed isn't terrible at it, they're not amazing at it either.

That's why I'm of the opinion that GYBE laid some of the groundwork for post-rock, and bands that have come after them took their formula and refined it, made it better.

Wait, did you really imply that The Mars Volta make ambient music? :psyduck:

albear
Jun 7, 2001

No, I'm just saying I much prefer the ambient sections of The Mars Volta's songs to Godspeed's.

You may need to listen to more ambient music. Start with the newest Ben Frost album.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Back somewhere towards the 90s, I remember EITS, GYBE, and DMST being the starting points towards this genre.

Rhgr posted:

Also EITS peaked when they released The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place, enjoying Eluvium more than them is the right way of going about it :smug: :respek: :smug:

More like "Those Who Tell the Truth..." and Eluvium were never as entertaining.

albear fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 21, 2010

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Hey let's talk about how Olafur Arnalds is releasing a better album than 65daysofstatic because it's true.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Andre Weed 420 posted:

Red Sparowes is extremely dark in my opinion, all of their songs of Every Red Heart.. have a depressing feel to them.

Am I the only one who doesn't think that the new 65dos album is post-rock at all? I mean I feel like it can't even be compared to most post-rock bands

I don't think it's really post-rock either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

albear
Jun 7, 2001

:hfive: