Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I'm pretty much losing my poo poo right now because I just found out Alcest is coming to my city in October, and the opener is Emma Ruth Rundle from Red Sparowes/Marriages. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Cymbal Monkey posted:

They have nothing on math-rock bands.

•GIRAFFES? GIRAFFES!
•Save Us From The Archon
•Toe
•How To Count One To Ten
•I Speak Calculus
•Collections of Colonies of Bees
•This Town Needs Guns
•That loving Tank
•Youthmovie Soundtrack Strategie
•Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

I find the difference is that post-rock bands tend to name themselves entire sentences.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Just saw Alcest with Emma Ruth Rundle from Red Sparowes/Marriages last night. Great show. Neige came onstage for a song with Emma midway through her set.

I talked to Emma for a bit, and she said songs for a new Red Sparowes album are written, it's just a matter of getting everyone together because they're busy with other projects currently. So it's coming, but nobody's sure when.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well that's something at least! I was actually just listening to some of their stuff the other day and wondering when the hell we'd be able to hear something new from them. It's been a few years.

Yeah, I mainly was asking if the band was dead or not, so it's nice to have that confirmation. Also she's super nice and purty. :3:

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
https://www.stereogum.com/2180145/holy-fawn-death-is-a-relief/music/

Holy Fawn has a new single, the title track from their upcoming album Death is a Relief.

I just saw them open for Deafheaven in Vancouver and they kicked rear end. All four of them play side by side at the front of the stage - including the drummer - and they all have mics and sing together. Great sound, though the Rickshaw Theatre's sound mix always kind of sucks for some reason. As for Deafheaven, George Clarke's screams still sound great live, but he can NOT carry a tune with his clean vocals on the new songs. He needs a reverb switch on his mic or something.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Holy Fawn's new one is out on Spotify and Bandcamp. I'm digging it.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
This BLACKSHAPE album came out in 2021, but flew under my radar until I got a Youtube recommendation recently.

Mostly instrumental (vocals on one track) and described as "post-mathcore", but they sound almost like a proggier Holy Fawn.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
ArcTanGent 2023 was absolutely unreal. Arrived Thursday afternoon and left Sunday morning - it completely kicked my rear end but the lineup was amazing. Good food & drinks, met cool people and made new friends, really helpful staff, and even the tent setup was pretty decent. I don't know if I'd camp again just because the site is noisy at all hours, but if you can make it, I can't recommend it enough.

Every set I saw was good to great - my highlights were Elder, Devin Townsend, HEALTH, and Igorrr, but Heilung's 90 minute set blew my mind. Video doesn't do them justice.

Only downside was the lack of phone charging stations & wi-fi - both should really be standard at such a long festival. Also, I won my festival pass from Year of No Light but they had to pull out of the festival. So I guess their entire function at ATG was literally just getting me there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Wildtortilla posted:

Elder is one of my favs. That looks like a really cool festival. Did you catch Russian Circles?
Same, Elder's been a fave for a while now. I finally got to hear Lore live - they didn't play it last I saw them. Russian Circles sounded great, but the big top tent was packed so I couldn't get up very close for their set.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 24, 2023