Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Big Wreck posted:

Has anybody started listening to Alcest's new release "Souvenir's d'un autre Monde" ?

http://myspace.com/alcestmusic

It originally started out as a French black metal band but it has somehow evolved into something more shoegaze like with this release. I like it a lot - reminds me somewhat of God is an Astronaut.

I really have to thank you for making me aware of that one. It's pretty much all I've listened to this week. Probably my favorite record of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

windwaker posted:

I have actually never listened to Mono (maybe for five minutes, that is)

How can you judge a band, especially one that does long instrumental stuff, after having listened to them for "maybe five minutes?" Mono is a great band, you should give them a legitimate chance before diving into a concert dvd aimed at fans.

citizenlowell fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 6, 2007

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Big Wreck posted:

Aside from that - I am still rocking out on Alcest and I think you should too http://www.myspace.com/alcestmusic - the EP is out now.

Souvenirs d'un autre monde is my record of the year but, is the older stuff worth a listen? I recall hearing its very different.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
The Silent Ballet just released it's list of the top 50 instrumental/post-rock/etc albums of 2007. There's a lot of material to digest but, it's a good read and I'm sure I'll find a few interesting things going through it.

Grails took the #1 spot and Caspian made #2 with Four Trees. Nice to see Caspian get some credit, considering how great the band is and awesome their live show is.

Notably absent from the list is EitS' All of a Sudden, I Miss Everyone. I guess EitS is too popular to be cool? The Birth and Death of Day made the site's top tracks list, with an odd jab at the record in its summary.

quote:

22. Explosions in the Sky -The Birth and Death of Day
Four years ago, it would have been inconceivable to think that Explosions in the Sky’s next album would not even make the top 50 instrumental releases of the year. But here we stand, with an EitS-less list. That their still-pretty-drat-good All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone could be absent speaks volumes about how far the genre has progressed, and how far they have not. Still, they do have moments of greatness remaining, if this track is to be believed. With a raw authenticity and ferocity which was sorely missed on the rest of the new LP, “The Birth and Death of the Day” shows that this poster-child of post-rock may have some life in it yet. One thing’s for sure: if the whole album had been this good, they’d be sitting pretty. (Tom Butcher)

http://www.thesilentballet.com/tsbt/2007/50_41.html

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I love The Mighty Rio Grande. It sounds like a song that would be played in a movie when someone's lost in the woods or something. It's just so epic.

Despite its epic nature, there's a point to be made. The slow part in the middle sounds like an outtake of Caspian's Last Rites from You are the Conductor; especially around 7:10 into it.

I still think the record as a whole is good, it just has a few moments where it feels like the day the band was writing they had been listening to too much of someone else's material. But mostly it feels different enough to stand on its own. It's solid.

edit: spelling is for chumps

citizenlowell fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 24, 2007

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
Caspian's getting some local support it seems. The Boston Globe included The Four Trees among the best local releases of the year.

quote:

Caspian, "The Four Trees" This Beverly outfit's all-instrumental debut album spoke volumes without saying a word. With this monumental, grandly eloquent follow-up to 2005's "You Are the Conductor" EP, Caspian made good on its vast promise by harnessing the staggering power and sweep of its epic, louder-than-God live performances.

http://www.boston.com/ae/music/cd_reviews/articles/2007/12/28/sound_and_fury_local_releases_of_note/

I've not really seen much mention of the band in local press so I thought it was cool to see them listed.

They're playing on Sunday at the Middle East for the annual End of the World New Year's show. I can't wait, It'll be the 11th or 12th time I've seen them this year and everytime they've been phenomenal.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

windwaker posted:

It looks like something a prog rock band would put out, yeah. My post-wardrobe (god I'm gay for saying that) is greatly restricted to EitS shirts because I'm afraid of all the possible confrontations ("Godspeed You! Black Emperor? Is that some kind of christian hardcore band?"). I still love TWDY. :(

If you're so overly concerned that people might pass judgment on you for the various ways people express themselves, perhaps you could just stop posting on the internet instead of avoiding shirts by bands you like?

Also,

windwaker posted:

Yeah, that shirt is way more classy than that goon made wallet. :laugh:

I propose that this may in fact be the case.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

windwaker posted:

Things more shameful than that t-shirt according to goons:
- my wallet
- the internet

You seem to forget that he did actually have the problem I expected. But whatever, this isn't the fashion forum/thread (yet).

Having someone make incorrect assumptions about a shirt and being called out for taking precautions to avoid clothing that someone might make an incorrect assumption about are different things.

If you're worried about how people will react to you wearing a t-shirt to the point you avoid shirts then you should probably be worried about other ways people can judge you. For example, the words you write and post on the internet.

I mean, I assume from those words that you're ignorant-trend whore with no opinions that weren't lifted from various wikipedia entries. That's worse than having people think you're into christian hardcore bands isn't it? Maybe I just don't get the joke.

But since this isn't the fashion forum and there's already a hell dump thread starring windwaker, I'll contribute to this thread in a meaningful way.

The Swedish band Aerial is pretty awesome and I don't recall seeing them mentioned around these parts.

They land somewhere between Sonic Youth and your typical EitS influenced stuff. I really liked last year's "The Sentinel" and their new EP, "The Legion of Dynamic Dischord" still sounds great after a few listens. Apparently the EP is part of a series of three the band hopes to release this year.

Check it out at Aerial.se

citizenlowell fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 7, 2008

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
I figured this would be worth bumping the thread over.

Caspian has a new track out. They're putting out a split 7" with Constants and if you preorder, mp3s of the record are made available to you right away. Both tracks are excellent but, Caspian fanboy that I am, I'd say their contribution to the split is better.

It's darker sounding than The Four Trees but, it's still distinctly Caspian. They've played a few new tracks the last couple of times I've seen them and it seems like this is the direction they're moving in. I like it, so should you.

Get it here:
http://www.radarrecordings.com/recordings.php

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Do they have a new release scheduled after this 7"? I'd love to hear more of them playing in this style.

Their website says that the song on the 7" will be included on a full release in some form in 2009. I hope they put out another single or EP in the meantime cause the single is a tease of what's to come.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Big Wreck posted:

Boston:
Caspian at the Paradise Jun 21st, Grails and then Russian Circles next Friday and Saturday

So many Boston shows, so little time.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

JaWs posted:

Saw Caspian again at their show in Beverly. They played well, but I did not enjoy the show nearly as much as I did the first time I saw them. They just seemed way more energetic the first time around. That and the sound was not all that great at the Beverly American Legion. Oh well. It looks like I won't be seeing another show until Mogwai on Sept. 19th in Philadelphia.

I think the guys in the band were a little disappointed that they we're able to play longer. But like Big Wreck said, they're playing TTs in August and that should be excellent, though again probably a little short.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Technetium posted:

What's post-rock.

If you have to ask, you'll never know.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Big Wreck posted:

Also, Doi's Sing The Boy Electric

http://www.myspace.com/doimusic

Any recommendations?

Since when does anyone think shoegaze when they hear Doi?

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Big Wreck posted:

Honestly, I found Doi looking for new 'shoegaze' bands though it seems hardly related.

Speaking of nongaze bands remember that 90's hit "Steal my Sunshine? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOCRPrEAVxU

Apparently that band, Len, started off with shoegazer influences. This is the only video evidence I could find but apparently their first record was hugely influenced by MBV. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sgq_BLTdBs

Go figure.

I think we all recall Len. That was the single of the 90s. Marc "The Burger Pimp" Costanzo and his sister Sharon are geniuses. Some one should probably sponsor a super tour featuring Len, Gin Blossoms and Third Eye Blind.

Edit: Seriously though, brothers and sisters shouldn't be that close.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
I saw TWDY tonight in Boston. I thought it was kind of dull. I've never been a super fan though, so take that as you may. They just felt kind of lifeless.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

AprilONeilsTits posted:

listen you middle east slumming piece of poo poo, put down your PBR long enough to put your dukes up irl and i will have it out with you, until then, stop trolling my threads or ima troll your life. one

Dear Sir,

I find your ironic musings on point. Perhaps you were join me for dinner and drinks at the Phoenix Landing at a mutually convenient time?

xoxo
Citizenlowell

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

The Ninth Layer posted:

Speaking of Mogwai, is that Hawk Is Howling album any good? I can't find it anywhere.

On that note I'm looking for a bunch of recommendations for new post-rock, I used to listen to a bunch but haven't bothered with any new music in a while. Any recommendations that sound like DMST/Tortoise/Grails would be appreciated.

There's a new Grails floating around. That'd probably be a good place to start.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

CzarDestructo posted:

I don't understand why everyone is jizzing over This Will Destroy You. They hail from a town literally 20 miles away from Austin, where EiTS hail from, and sound EXACTLY like EiTS. They do absolutely nothing special or redeeming.

I'm with you. There's a track or two I enjoy, but if the band were to cease to be I wouldn't care or notice.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Big Wreck posted:

Somebody's not getting invited to the Mighty Rio Grande

As long as I can get my Last Rites.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

CzarDestructo posted:

Heh right below my post and I missed it. Are they energetic and everything you'd expect them to be? I've been blown away by a awful lot of UK bands lately. Yndi Halda and These Monsters need to get their asses across the pond. I was suppose to see Yndi a few months ago in Boston but they canceled their set after the opening band had already finished. Everyone was PISSED.

I remember that. TTs should have handled it better by offering a slight discount or getting everyone a round. At the very least, they should have let Caspian play longer.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Big Wreck posted:

And if you like Russian Circles check out Adai and North.

Emphasis on Adai. That ...I Carry EP is pretty sweet, and way too short.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
So I like the new Appleseed Cast record, but I haven't really explored the rest of the band's discography. Where should I move from here?

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Back Stabber posted:

If anybody's heard of Samuel Jackson Five, bands like that (I'm not sure how to describe that specific genre).

Maybe you should read this thread?

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Jetstar posted:

But seriously? Mono? How are they like GYBE at all? Not saying you're wrong or anything, but Mono isn't even close to how I see GYBE. No band has gotten close to GYBE's sound, and as far as I'm concerned, no one ever will.

Maybe he's thinkking of this release http://temporaryresidence.com/descriptions/trr108.php

It has a bit of the GYBE vibe to it and is quite different from the rest of Mono's stuff.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

quote:

Fuchs is the second Maserati drummer to meet a tragic end. In 2005, then-drummer Mikel Gius was run down and killed as he rode his bike on a Sacramento street.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/drummer_elevator_leap_ends_in_death_ThnnTZfFHJf3IXKidpm09N

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

jacksonchan posted:

Check out Balmorhea. I'd call it expansive, evokes feelings of looking across a vast landscape (for me at least). They also have a cello.

and a banjo...

My favorite album of theirs is All is Wild, All is Silent. It's got a neat western vibe. I get that sense of looking across a vast landscape too, it's just always feels like the old american west.