Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]
Thanks for making another post-rock thread, I missed the old one.

Just saw Mono last night and they played Yearning, The Kidnapper Bell, Moonlight, a new song, and Halycon. The new one had parts that reminded me of GYBE.. and it was kind of like a cross between Under the Pipal Tree and their new stuff. I liked it a lot.

I'm excited to see Do Make Say Think on Saturday. Considering Mono and DMST are two of the best live bands I've seen, it's a very good week.

Hydrac7 posted:

Also how long until it isn't cool anymore for bands to jump on Explosions in the Sky's dicks?
It hasn't been cool for a long time. Hell, even EITS jumped on EITS's dicks with their last album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

Femme by Force posted:

Not too sure if this belongs in here but I just saw Do Make Say Think in San Francisco. Needless to say, it was an amazing show. They played both the songs that feature singing, a couple from & Yet & Yet, and a few others (the titles escape me). If you get an opportunity to see them, go. It's worth it.

Hey, I was there too. Amazing live band.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

windwaker posted:

I just listened to this, and it's amazing. I can't stand GY!BE for reasons previously mentioned, but this is really excellent.

I love GYBE but I rarely listen to F#A#. I think it's a brilliant album, but for I guess I don't listen to it as much because it has a lot more ambient parts and samples than the others. You really, really need to give them a chance. It took me a long time to finally listen to and appreciate Lift Your Skinny Fists..., but goddamn, I wish I had sooner. I don't think you can be a fan of post-rock and not like them, since most post-rock bands are derivative of what they did, and nobody who tries to emulate them surpasses them.

Listen to Yanqui U.X.O., then the Slow Riot EP, then Skinny Fists, and by then you will come to appreciate F#A#.

There is no better epic driving music than Yanqui U.X.O.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

windwaker posted:

stuff

Did you spell Cobain wrong on purpose in your custom title?

And yes, it is blatantly obvious that the TWDY album cover is so over the top tacky that it is meant to be tongue-in-cheek. If you still don't see it, well, you must hate fun. I don't really like the band, but it is a fine cover.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

dingolord posted:

I've been following Tortoise, The Sea and Cake, Volta Do Mar and some others for a while now, but can't seem to get into a lot of the other 'post rock'. I'm not so much into the EitS sound. I suppose I'm looking for something a more dynamic and less epic wall of soundish and with more of a beat. Any recommendations?

Tulsa Drone, As the Poets Affirm, Do Make Say Think

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]
I don't think you understand what tongue-in-cheek means. Every time you post I know I am in store for some comedy.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

Bucket Joneses posted:

Just because an album has a challenging sound doesn't mean it's drug induced.

Yeah, but Battles probably is.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

HOLYFLAMINGCRAP posted:

I asked in the recommendation thread and though I got some good recommendations I already had most of them. Basically I'm looking for something like post-rock with a folk twinge. Ive been listening to the new Agalloch EP "The White" a lot which is basically acoustic folky stuff with some post rock and ambient stuff thrown in and I'm really loving it. Thanks!

Do Make Say Think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

Olaf Oleeson posted:

Ok, so a few years ago I listened to a bit too much post-rock, and now I'm completely burnt out on it.
Can anybody recommend me some good original sounding post-rock (as in no mono/eits/mogwai/godspeed clones)?

I need something as fresh as 65dos was back when I first listened to them.

Anyone?

Do Make Say Think