Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

That's like killing a unicorn!
The only post-rock I really listen to is EitS, El Ten Eleven, and some TWDY. I tried listening to Godspeed You! Black Emperor's F♯A♯∞ (that's pasted from wikipedia), and I really didn't enjoy the random sound effects and places where there's no music. Is any of their other stuff better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

I like Menomena but I wouldn't really say they show qualities of post-rock. They just use really weird instrumentation.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

Ego Piano posted:

They really don't, though. The core of the band is drums, guitar, vocals, piano, and sax, which I think still falls under standard rock instruments.

Maybe I'm mistaking something for something else, but don't they also use a bunch of weird synth effects and stuff?

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

Ego Piano posted:

Most of their stuff is just instruments, and postrock is no stranger to effects anyway. That said, Menomena really does fit more in with just fairly novel indie rock. We still need a good definition of postrock, though.

Menomena is really just a weird pop band imo. I mean, Muscle 'n Flow could be acoustic and played by any band, they just take it and make it really weird/awesome.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

leonje posted:

I don't listen to a whole bunch of post-rock but what I've heard I've liked so I'll be keeping my eye on this thread.

I do have 1 recommendation though, since it's not already been posted in this thread.

Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss

I don't know how to describe it but the EP has 4 tracks, is over an hour long and blows my mind from start to finish.

I just listened to this, and it's amazing. I can't stand GY!BE for reasons previously mentioned, but this is really excellent.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

ddonahue99 posted:

Listen to Yanqui U.X.O., then the Slow Riot EP, then Skinny Fists, and by then you will come to appreciate F#A#.

There is no better epic driving music than Yanqui U.X.O.

I'll give Yanbqui U.X.O. a try, at least.

Have any of you guys listened to any of the GY!BE related bands like 1-Speed Bike, A Silver Mt. Zion (well, actually I've seen this one mentioned a bunch), Esmerine, Et Sans, Fly Pan Am, hrsta, Molasses, or Set Fire to Flames?

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

kirkjames posted:

I'm not trying to show off or namedrop or anything, but listen to Ego Piano. I have every constellation release and they are all different and awesome. Fly Pan Am is awesome spacey rock music, Hrsta is classic, all the polmo polpo related projects are great (sandro perri, glissandro70, etc.)

I suggest going on the constellation website and just going through every release.

Yeah, I had sort of forgotten about this thread but I checked out Yanqui U.X.O. and man, I usually don't "get" a lot of the music I hear from these threads the first time through, but the first track on that album evoked a ton of emotion in me which barely happens unless I'm really really into the music. It was devastating when those violins come in playing the dissonance. I'll have to go back through Godspeed's stuff and then check out all these great sideprojects.

You have every constellation release? That's insane.

edit: upon further listening, I almost don't even enjoy listening to this album it's so draining.

Found Your Answer fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 4, 2007

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

øptimysticism posted:

I will say that I was disappointed in the audio quality, seeing as most (probably all) of the live footage just utilizes the camera mic. They drive themselves around in a van on tour though, so that's not really a surprise. I mean the audio isn't horrible, but when they're at their heaviest/loudest, it does become kinda muddled. Which isn't much unlike actually seeing them live... your ears can only handle so much.

Is it as good as seeing them live? Hell loving no. But if that isn't going to happen, then I guess this DVD will suffice.

Worst case scenario: You buy it and hate it, but at least the $15 you paid will go towards their "hiring a driver" fund. That might be tax deductible, too.

I have actually never listened to Mono (maybe for five minutes, that is), but is this DVD a good introduction to them? I love music documentaries.

Also, why the hell does Mono have a live DVD and not some band like EitS? I guess
Bucket Joneses made an (awesome, one of my favorite concert videos) DVD of them, but I would love to see a documentary on EitS.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

citizenlowell posted:

How can you judge a band, especially one that does long instrumental stuff, after having listened to them for "maybe five minutes?" Mono is a great band, you should give them a legitimate chance before diving into a concert dvd aimed at fans.

I wasn't judging them, hence why I was asking for recommendations as for whether watching the DVD would be a good introduction to them (I thought the documentary was actually a documentary and that it wasn't just completely live footage).

I'll check out You Are There.

edit:

øptimysticism posted:

So most live albums just mic the room only, not the PA or the instruments or anything?

I'm no taper, but I've heard that it's better to mic the whole room unless you're focusing on getting a good recording for a live album (I've heard some straight from the board stuff that was mixed poorly because mixing for a whole room and mixing for a recording can be really different).

Found Your Answer fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 7, 2007

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

Henry Hippomouth posted:

Explosions in the Sky just put up some more tour dates in the US. None in the Oregon/Washington, though. :smith:

Noooo, I missed them when they played at the Wonder Ballroom. :( Thankfully Joneses taped that one though.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

Are you being facetious? It looks like the cover of some lovely metal album. :(

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

Big Wreck posted:

I mean seriously...why are you here?

Sorry, I haven't listened to Mono and didn't enjoy F#A#; I know that might be hard for you to understand but not everyone is a carbon copy of you. :(

I can see how that could be seen as tongue in cheek (you could say that about any non metal band that uses that as their album cover), but they haven't really done anything satirical in the past so there's really nothing that blatantly indicates that. I thought it was just tacky like Bliggers- said. Please stop trying to create a post-rock thread circle jerk and get out if you have nothing to contribute. :rolleyes:

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

ddonahue99 posted:

Did you spell Cobain wrong on purpose in your custom title?

And yes, it is blatantly obvious that the TWDY album cover is so over the top tacky that it is meant to be tongue-in-cheek. If you still don't see it, well, you must hate fun. I don't really like the band, but it is a fine cover.

Yeah, I suppose I was just thrown off by people going gently caress YEAH THIS COVER IS THE BEST because that doesn't seem like the reaction one would typically give to a satirical album cover. It doesn't matter though, TWDY is great and I'll end up loving the album even if the album cover even if it's this.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

Big Wreck posted:

What do you contribute ever? I rarely post in this thread or in NMD and I can see that you really have no interest in this music and that every one of your posts is useless. Seriously, you are fake.

While I may have not caught the tongue-in-cheek "we're not a metal band" TWDY album cover joke (or thought it was very clever afterwards), if you think I or anyone else would post in a music discussion forum when they don't actually listen to music, you can get the gently caress out because you're just deliberately making GBS threads up this thread or a moron.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

fnordcircle posted:

God Is an Astronaut
Definitely not an EITS rip-off to me, there's a bit more of a New Age music sound going here, others may disagree.

drat, thanks for this. I'd been working my way through the recommendations in this thread and I checked out The End of the Beginning. Remembrance is seriously one of the best instrumental rock songs I've ever heard I think. Too bad they don't seem to be coming to the US in 2008 (or Washington/Oregon for that matter, I don't think EitS will even do that anymore). :(

They definitely remind me of the EitS faction of post-rock though, and maybe that's why I enjoy listening to them (Spiderland never struck me as very interesting).

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Really, every song on this album is great. I find it to be a much stronger effort than Young Mountain.

I think overall the s/t is way better, but in my opinion The World is Our _____ is by far their best song. Maybe that's just because I've heard it more.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

Lord of Sword posted:

Té are one of my favourite bands, I've got all their albums/EPs and their live DVD, which is well worth getting if you're into their music. Kotoba... and Sore wa... are my favourite releases, just because they're a lot more consistent than the first album, but also have more variety. Some of their videos are also up on youtube, most linked to each other in the related videos box:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=q7cbA5xxq5w

What song is in the video (like, which track/album specifically, there might be some translation discrepancies)? 5:12 in that video is really amazing, when they finally deviate from the same line of melody into a crazy freakout.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

e:.

Found Your Answer fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 27, 2023

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

e.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

edit

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

Big Wreck posted:

Battles are pretty cool and they put on a hell of a live show but I can't help but think that that the 'Mirrored' sound they have now will probably get stale in a few years. I'm really curious as to what new tangents they'll try and explore.

Mirrored is like the sequel to Yellow Submarine but on (more) drugs. I have no idea how they're going to top it in the same genre (whatever it is).

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

Bucket Joneses posted:

Just because an album has a challenging sound doesn't mean it's drug induced.

I was mainly talking about the idea that they're in a box/room that's traveling through time.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

Big Wreck posted:

Hmmm, that is an insightful observation windwaker especially considering that the album's 'being' or 'existence' only breathes in loops and repeating patterns within said box. It exists as a constant loop of thought and life which strikes me as being a similar idea that Douglas Hofstadter has used in several of his books when he tries to argue that patterns, loops and recursion are the constructs of our consciousness.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not because I thought the whole mirror box thing was really awesome and gave me something to think about that meshed with the music. :(

Found Your Answer fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 12, 2008

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm realizing now just how absolutely beautiful How Stange, Innocence is. I mean, I always thought it was great before. But now, for some reason, it's on a whole different level for me. Every song on this album has this overwhelming power over me, especially Remember Me As A Time Of Day. That one just brought me out of depression within its 5 and a half minute duration, in fact. Playing piano along with it is really relaxing, too.

A Song for Our Fathers is the only EitS song I've really loved the first time I heard it.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

AinSophAur posted:

Explosions are playing live on Austin City Limits right now so if you turn on your tv you can catch their set it just started

Isn't this a rerun from a few months ago? It was a great show either way, although I wonder why they didn't play Your Hand in Mine (yet Memorial was the best way to end it).

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

Found Your Answer fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

CzarDestructo posted:

I guess maybe you're right, more slow blues-ish guitar now that I think about it. For whatever reason I have Sharks Keep Moving and American Football pinned in my head as post-rock because I started getting into them around the same time I started getting into Mogwai and the beginnings of EiTS. Ah well, half the fun is arguing about what is or isn't post-rock.

And holy poo poo I always enjoyed Sharks Keep Moving and never bothered to notice the correlations with Minus the Bear. No wonder I like Minus so much...

Blues-ish? Surely you have blues confused with free jazz. American Football more math-rock also, but at that point who really cares.