Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

windwaker posted:

Sorry, I haven't listened to Mono and didn't enjoy F#A#; I know that might be hard for you to understand but not everyone is a carbon copy of you. :(

I can see how that could be seen as tongue in cheek (you could say that about any non metal band that uses that as their album cover), but they haven't really done anything satirical in the past so there's really nothing that blatantly indicates that. I thought it was just tacky like Bliggers- said. Please stop trying to create a post-rock thread circle jerk and get out if you have nothing to contribute. :rolleyes:

FWIW, F#A# isn't my favorite godspeed album, either. I like 'Lift Your Skinny Fists' best (particularly 'Static'), and the critical darling 'Slow Riot' is great, too. That said, though, they're certainly not sample-free, and I don't dislike F#. Maybe GYBE just isn't for you; nothing wrong with that. You really should check out Mono, though; they don't have a weak album in the bunch. I wouldn't start with the dvd -- I haven't seen it, but given complaints about the audio, and how thick their sound is, it could make for a poor introduction. Maybe start with 'Under the Pipal Tree', it's a bit more immediately accessible. They do only get better from there, but the sound definitely gets deeper.

TWDY cover: There's nothing that indicates that? There's not one, but three animals, and one is being struck by lightning. Yeah, they haven't been known for satire in the past, but nor have they been known for being earnestly tacky as gently caress.

Haven't gone through the entire thread yet, but thanks already to whoever recommended te' and yndi halda. SJ5 is quirky and catchy, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

The Dirtyness posted:

Definitely check out Russian Circles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2-hJtJrXxc

If you like Russian Circles, check out Riding Panico.

Ooh, new Mono coming, outstanding. Great timing checking this thread for the first time in months.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
I'm debating driving ~3 hrs to see them in a couple weeks. They'd better be good live.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Jetstar posted:

And yet another one of my favorite bands that I won't be seeing. If anyone is on the fence about this, GO. They are amazing live, and it's a really high energy performance.

no kidding -- them + broken social scene in a smaller venue is still one of the best shows I've seen.

not very close this tour, though, ugh

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
The new Caspian album is up on gimmesound. (Downloadable 320kbps mp3s)

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Capitan Dad posted:

i'm going to mono on october 8th, that's pretty much going to rule I bet

Thanks for the heads-up (how did I miss their tour dates?). I'll be there 10/2 in toronto.

I've seen them once before (with world's end girlfriend a couple years ago), and they were one of the best live acts I've ever seen.

WoG fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 9, 2009

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Iraff posted:

gently caress me, you reminded me to check the tour dates...
Awesome, I see they've added a bunch of dates since ~a month ago. 11/28, big orbit soundlab, can't wait.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Jerry Fuchs (the incredible drummer from Maserati discussed earlier in this thread and former drummer for !!!) died today at age 34 :(

He fell 5 stories down an elevator shaft. What a lovely way for such an amazing dude to go out.
Oh, poo poo. I hadn't paid much attention to Maserati before seeing them in Toronto with Mono last month, but that guy was unbelievably good.

Lord of Sword posted:

[Te'] have 2 other albums besides that one
thanks for the heads-up on album 3 (from last year, ha) -- I love the first two, but yeah, they aren't very well publicized here (and their english site is years out of date).

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Lord of Sword posted:

It's a least a two hour drive to any of those so unless they announce more dates that's another tour I'm missing.
oh, gently caress you. Two hours...

I'm hoping they'll come as close as Toronto, which is 2.5 and an international border away.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

snortpocket posted:

Where are you finding this? iTunes has got nothing, and it doesn't look like their official site or MySpace has been updated in a while either.
http://tee.daa.jp/ The japanese version of their site is more up-to-date, not that you can read much of it (although, oddly, the navbar is still in english, so just click 'sound').

Medical posted:

Heads up. The new Gifts From Enola album...
excellent, didn't know their new one was so close.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Crazy Achmed posted:

My tastes run a bit more towards the rockier side of things, and I've been loving the hell out of Russian Circles recently. If anyone's discovered anything along similar lines, I'd appreciate any recommendations.
[edit]I've had a bit of time now to trawl through the thread, and while most of it's pretty cool, I find a lot of it almost painfully slow. Am I just having bad luck picking tracks at random to listen to, or can anyone make me some recommendations?

If you've browsed the thread, you probably already saw these posts, but anyway...
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2670204&pagenumber=14&perpage=40#post355110035

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Midorka posted:

http://indievidual.me/indie.m3u

I'm doing a post-rock stream from now until 10pm EST. Come tune in via your preferred media player.
You know, I normally abhor all the narrow genre definitions and spergy classification debates all the post-anything labels bring about, but I think Flock of Seagulls is a bit of a stretch here.

vv Hah, poo poo. The fact that I'm accustomed to new posts in my control panel being same day is probably a bad sign.

WoG fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 17, 2011

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The really lovely thing is that their name is already out. A ton of scene kids love them just because...well, they're scene. Their music is garbage, but unfortunately they have like 1.2 million fans on Facebook while Caspian only has 11,000 :smith:
They probably have 1.2m fans for the same reason gooogle.com is a popular site.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

origami posted:

I think he's saying that there's really 1.2 million fans of The Devil Wears Prada film starring Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway.

Also:

Despite speculations that the band named themselves after the film with the same title, it was actualized that they were formed before the film was released.

At least one guy got it.

Yeah, the book was insanely popular (and trash). Hence the film a few years later. Claiming your band predates the film adaptation really doesn't redeem any credibility.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Rhgr posted:

I've seen them four times now, every single time the place has ressembled a riot. They tour pretty much non stop, I highly encourage seeing them before they start playing bigger venues.
They were excellent the one time I saw them in town, but I doubt they'll be back soon. They were the first on of four bands, and with contradictory times listed everywhere, they apparently went before 6:30, and I only caught their last 3 or 4 songs.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Cool Blue Reason posted:

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't like Empros. It was just so dull and derivative to me.

I've been pretty ambivalent about everything since their first album. They went in a much heavier direction I'm just not as interested in.

e: I can't really fault them for that, though -- 'not my style' covers probably half the bands mentioned in here, but I can't call them 'bad'.

WoG fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 5, 2011

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

ICA posted:

New pg. lost.

Really digging this. The riff from Terrain has been running through my head for a week now.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

A5H posted:

I don't know what this is but it loving owns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GFpmJpVPVe4!

If you like brontide etc you'll probably dig it.
Té is great, but yeah, very hard to google. Here's their site, which no longer appears to offer english, but that side was never updated anyway, so muddle through the japanese side. At minimum, it's easy to find titles for their albums and google from there.

e: Looks like just did a ustreamed concert

WoG fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 30, 2012

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
This genre really needs a tracking database where you can flag any pretentiously titled 3 song EPs that catch your attention, to be alerted on the off-chance they lead to an album six years later.

(Then again, it's not like I'm short on new material even with bands falling off the map left and right.)

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
In case anyone didn't already look after the last few posts, all Mono's North American tour dates are here:
https://www.monoishere.com/tour-dates/

Extensive tour, good on them. I'll be there 9-17, Big Orbit Soundlab, the same place I first saw them five years ago (with World's End Girlfriend). I'm just glad I won't have to drive a few hours and across the Canadian border like on their last tour.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

I just recently found out that my favorite Japanese instrumental post-rock band Te' put out their 5th LP on my birthday last year :toot: Their stuff has been notoriously difficult to get stateside (and they're a royal bitch to Google for :mad: ) but this time that poo poo is on Bandcamp!
Jesus, $17.37 for a download?!

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Watching Caspian tune up right now, standing knees against the stage. Haven't seen them before. Should be an experience.

Native was pretty drat good, I must say.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Ungratek posted:

Sigur Ros pretty much killed last night. They played a couple of news songs and all I can say is the new direction they're taking is unbelievably awesome
I've never cared much about Sigur Ros, but that new song they played on Fallon was pretty great. Not great enough to pay a premium for lovely seats at an arena show 100 miles away next weekend, but I'll definitely give Kveikur a chance.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

SgtScruffy posted:

Gifts from Enola are breaking up

See you motherfuckers in Harrisonburg on the 8th.

That's a shame. I liked From Fathoms enough to drive a few hours out of town to catch them on that tour (and snag the gorgeous translucent/swirly orange and green vinyl). They sort of fell off my radar after that, and their last album in particular was just screamy and terrible, but you still don't like to see anyone calling it quits.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Trent Reznor seems to like post-rock.

Maybe this is the post rock breakout that some people have been predicting.

As much as I want to see Explosions, exorbitant NIN prices to see them play 3-4 songs in a big gently caress-off arena? Pass.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/te
Doesn't look like they have any live albums.
Haven't looked at that site, but they do -- multiple DVD and CD/DVDs, along with singles filled out to LP length with live material.

awesome ghost, just reference their official site. There are english labels of what's what on the music page, and you can copy-paste album titles to find sources / english equivalents. Or you can run the whole thing through google translate to read the rest of the site.

WoG fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Well, in facebook update news, maybeshewill announced their upcoming tour will be their last, and yndi halda posted a cryptic "wait 5 hours" message about 4 hours ago...