Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ego munchin
Aug 3, 2004

Baldr posted:

Can anyone comment on the quality of Mono's "The Sky Remains the Same as Ever" DVD? I was thinking of purchasing it.
I will say that I was disappointed in the audio quality, seeing as most (probably all) of the live footage just utilizes the camera mic. They drive themselves around in a van on tour though, so that's not really a surprise. I mean the audio isn't horrible, but when they're at their heaviest/loudest, it does become kinda muddled. Which isn't much unlike actually seeing them live... your ears can only handle so much.

Is it as good as seeing them live? Hell loving no. But if that isn't going to happen, then I guess this DVD will suffice.

Worst case scenario: You buy it and hate it, but at least the $15 you paid will go towards their "hiring a driver" fund. That might be tax deductible, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ego munchin
Aug 3, 2004

Yeah, jokes aside, I was surprised that they didn't do everything they could to capture and preserve the one thing that represents them most: their music. But maybe they did, who knows. And having a large contingent of tapers doesn't necessarily mean that said tapers could loan out tons of cab and drum mics for use on a whole tour for a recording that the band is going to sell.

I actually got a recording of one of their shows first before any of their albums and during the quiet intro into "The Flames Beyond..." someone drops a glass. It scares the poo poo outta me everytime. And yeah, the audio quality was better on that than the DVD, heh.

ego munchin
Aug 3, 2004

windwaker posted:

I have actually never listened to Mono (maybe for five minutes, that is), but is this DVD a good introduction to them? I love music documentaries.

Also, why the hell does Mono have a live DVD and not some band like EitS? I guess
Bucket Joneses made an (awesome, one of my favorite concert videos) DVD of them, but I would love to see a documentary on EitS.
It's not really a documentary, it's probably 75-80% live concert footage, with some backstage/tour monotony shots, and the odd long driving scene with studio tracks playing over it... thing. I think getting a few albums (personal recommendations: You Are There -or- One Step More and You Die) would be a better introduction than the DVD, due to the fact that the less-than-stellar audio might put some people off; it does kinda do the music a (small) disservice, I think. Still a good DVD by a loving awesome band though, but just some thoughts...

ego munchin
Aug 3, 2004

Yeah, I know, but I would think a room recording isn't as good as a soundboard (direct cab micing) or whatever bands do when they record a live album. Sure, Mono could have gotten recordings from tapers, but as far as quality goes, it isn't the best. I'm not arguing it wouldn't have been better than what they did on the DVD though, because as the camera is walking around on stage during the songs, whatever instrument the camera is pointing at practically enjoys a solo performance because of how directional the mic is.

Yeah, that's actually the show I got, heh. Thanks for the recording!

Also, it's weird that you couldn't find anybody from the band. At their Chicago show, the bassist was the one selling merch before and after the show...

ego munchin
Aug 3, 2004

So most live albums just mic the room only, not the PA or the instruments or anything?