Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Old thread is in the archives and I feel like talking instrumental music. Let's do this.

Releases I've been into lately:

This Will Destroy You - Self Titled LP

Ok so I just listened to it today but it's everything I hoped it would be and then some. A few of the songs have some great melodies that just get stuck in your head. I also like that the album is loving loud without resorting to too much compression. I even looked at the waveform and it's pretty conservative in the peaks. Can't wait to hear the actual final album.

This is a Process of a Still Life - Earth
This is a Process of a Still Life - Light

My friend recommended these guys and I instantly fell in love with the songs on their myspace so I immediately ordered both of their LPs. It's a really cool blend of instrumental rock and electronics without going the 65dos "glitchy" route. If you want to preview/buy their albums, check out http://www.fireflysessions.com/store/

I also really dig the album art for Light:

...Of Sinking Ships - Self Titled LP

This band is pretty much one guy and he's actually the former bass player for Hopesfall even though it sounds nothing like Hopesfall. The guy's name is Chad Waldrup, he plays a ton of instruments (every instrument on the album apparently), and you'll get the song The Circumstances stuck in your head for days. Unfortunately, there is no Myspace to preview songs (the album came out in 2001) but the good news is a) there is one song on the last.fm artist page that is free to download and the rest are 30 second previews b)he is scheduling some kind of acoustic tour where he'll play this (and new) material and c) you can buy the album for ten dollars via their label (http://www.gileadmedia.net/store.htm)

I also really like the album art for this one:

So now it's your turn. Ask for recommendations, recommend some band you've been digging on that refuses to sing because singing is for losers and A Silver Mt. Zion, or talk about how every band is ripping off GYBE and EITS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Hydrac7 posted:

Lately, I've been hooked on The Pirate Ship Quintet. The last song on their EP, titled Pirate Ship, is excellent and the mix of strings and trumpet really keep me coming back for more.

http://www.myspace.com/thepirateshipquintet

I heard a lot about them on ATPR a few months ago but never looked into them.

Listening now and I'll tell you what, that screaming vocal on the intro to I Kina Spiser de Hund was way unexpected but also goddamn awesome too. Too bad the link to buy the EP seems to be a dead website :(

EDIT: Here's something I found that sort of helps out people who use last.fm charts and listen to a lot of long songs (re: post-rock): http://www.associativetrails.com/stuff/normalisefm//

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 30, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Spartak posted:

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Explosions in the Sky.

Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever is probably my favourite album of theirs. It's really heavy at times and has an interesting texture and an overall gloomy sort of vibe to it. Very interesting to listen to while blasting it on a stereo in the dark.

The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place is probably my second favourite album of theirs. It is very mellow and free flowing, according to their wiki article it was their attempt at writing love songs, so there you go!

How Strange, Innocence is also pretty good, overall it is pretty raw and unpolished compared to their later material but it has something to it. Almost reminiscent of Godspeed You, Black Emperor!

Speaking of which... I've also been a fan of Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada lately.

And of course Young Team by Mogwai, one of my favourite albums of ALL TIME.

Apologies if these bands aren't considered "post rock" or just instrumental rock or whatever, but I think they are "post rock" enough.

No you're on the right track but this post is like going into GBS and posting something like "Check out this cat photo his face is happy I call him happycat."

Just kidding... sorta.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Hydrac7 posted:

Speaking of Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada, I've been toying with the idea of getting the Hebrew phrase on the album cover tattooed on me somewhere.

Cover for reference:

Opinions?

Also how long until it isn't cool anymore to jump on Explosions in the Sky's dicks?

As long as the meaning is significant to you I guess that's all that matters. The design looks aesthetically pleasing (to me) and would translate pretty well to a tat.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I don't know if I'm the only one but I'm getting tired of every band being accused of ripping off EITS after being given a cursory listen. It's like people hear loud guitars and drums and immediately write a band off without considering anything else the band is doing.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

LethargicTheHutt posted:

It skirts the line (and is likely old news), but the Mysterious Skin Soundtrack might hit the spot for some of you. Harold Budd and Robin Guthrie deliver something between peaceful and deeply unsettling. Having seen the movie isn't a requirement, but it may...assist your mood.

I have no recollection of the soundtrack because I was too busy being completely creeped out by this movie. It was not anything that I was expecting (I don't know what I expected, actually... but I know it wasn't that).

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

øptimysticism posted:

I will say that I was disappointed in the audio quality, seeing as most (probably all) of the live footage just utilizes the camera mic. They drive themselves around in a van on tour though, so that's not really a surprise. I mean the audio isn't horrible, but when they're at their heaviest/loudest, it does become kinda muddled. Which isn't much unlike actually seeing them live... your ears can only handle so much.

The fact that any DVD put out by Mono doesn't have amazing audio quality is discouraging to me as a taper considering they have a rather large following of tapers who go to their shows and record them. There's no reason why this DVD shouldn't have amazing audio sources for the video.

More bands need to connect with their taping communities that they themselves sanction when they agree to be listed on archive.org.

And to contribute another instrumental/post-rock band that I'm into lately: Bronze Fawn. I only know about these guys because my friend works with the drummer. He invited me to see them open for Battles recently and now I'm a fan. They use this really nice keyboard tone that is really crisp yet "vintage sounding". I guess it sort of sounds like a Rhodes.

You can check out all of their music and whatnots at their site http://bronzefawn.com/. The title track from Lumber has the sweetest breakdown in the middle that makes the buildup melody pay off that much more.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

øptimysticism posted:

And having a large contingent of tapers doesn't necessarily mean that said tapers could loan out tons of cab and drum mics for use on a whole tour for a recording that the band is going to sell.

That's not how taping shows works. Think about it this way: when I saw Mono with World's End Girlfriend and Kinski this year, I recorded the show from the rear of the room using a pair of AKG C1000S microphones that don't cost more than 300 dollars new. The rest of my equipment probably cost about 1000 dollars total.

Here's a sample of the recording: http://www.iamserio.us/shows/mono2007-04-25sample.mp3

After the show they could have gotten my information and I would have mailed them a copy that week. Try as I might, though, no one at the show could be found who would take my information.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

øptimysticism posted:

Yeah, I know, but I would think a room recording isn't as good as a soundboard (direct cab micing) or whatever bands do when they record a live album.

This is not how live albums are made.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Reviving this thread with pics of my new TWDY stuff that came today:

Sorry about the lovely lighting.

I've heard about people getting their CDs already. I imagine the orders that include the LP are taking longer because the records aren't ready yet or something. Or maybe someone just stole mine from my front door.

Also: I finally authored a DVD of the 65daysofstatic show I filmed in August. It's on The Traders Den if you want a DVD or you can just stream it on google video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4052256735921093927

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I also just found out that the three-cam of EITS I helped film/tape is online now. You can stream it all on google video too: http://firmdragon.blogspot.com/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

windwaker posted:

Mirrored is like the sequel to Yellow Submarine but on (more) drugs. I have no idea how they're going to top it in the same genre (whatever it is).

Just because an album has a challenging sound doesn't mean it's drug induced.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

HOLYFLAMINGCRAP posted:

I asked in the recommendation thread and though I got some good recommendations I already had most of them. Basically I'm looking for something like post-rock with a folk twinge. Ive been listening to the new Agalloch EP "The White" a lot which is basically acoustic folky stuff with some post rock and ambient stuff thrown in and I'm really loving it. Thanks!

Sparrows Swarm and Sing have that folky sound you're looking for I bet.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I listened to the new Earth album today, and while pretty good for a little while, it became repetitive and seeemed like one 55-minute song that never changed.

That's because you were listening to a drone album and that's what drone sounds like.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

MMD3 posted:

Here are a few of Portland's finest.
Colt Vista

I taped these guys opening for Bronze Fawn a month or two ago and was impressed with a few of their songs but they really struck me as sort of... novice I guess is the word? Mostly in the sense that their songs didn't seem to have a lot of direction or purpose. To be fair, though, I talked to one of the guys in the band after the show and he said it was their second show so maybe they're still getting a feel for their sound.

But I do remember a few of their songs being totally rocking with really intriguing riffs that made me think "yeah, i like this".

If anyone is interested in hearing the recording: http://iamserio.us/2008/03/14/youmaydieinthedesert-bronze-fawn-2008-03-13/

Also: totally listen to the other two bands. The whole lineup was good actually.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

MMD3 posted:

the drummer's a good buddy of mine, and yeah, they've only played a handful of shows so far. They've definitely been improving, I'd recommend checking them out again in a month or two. Where was the show you saw them open at? I don't remember bronze fawn but have been to probably 75% of colt vista's shows.

It wasn't in PDX. It was in Seattle.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Really this is only tangentially related but I'll still present it as "Music without lyrics" so just peep this El Ten Eleven jam from last Monday night:

http://www.vimeo.com/2272462

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 18, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Also here is this: http://www.iamserio.us/files/L1011_-_Fanshawe_(Live).mp4

This is from a different show. It's a two-cam with soundboard audio instead of mics.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Here's something: http://iamserio.us/2008/11/18/el-ten-eleven-video/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

So holy poo poo Sleepy Eyes of Death puts on the greatest performance. To describe it: "Fog machines and lights". Which, you know, sounds incredibly cheesy... and maybe it is. But, whatever, it was amazing.

This doesn't really convey the look I'm talking about but it works. It's from my camcorder:

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

Really really cool show. Highly recommend seeing these guys if you get a chance.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Because seriously look at this guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLjud3g7sYo

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Just in case anyone was interested, I put up the full Sleepy Eyes of Death and Bronze Fawn videos I recorded the other week.

http://iamserio.us/2009/02/17/sleepy-eyes-of-death-bronze-fawn-2009-02-07/

You can nab the FLV or a high-def MP4 if you like. God drat I'm so stoked to see them again next month.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Marilyn Mansons posted:

I noticed this but thought it was the encoding. Are they good live?

Yeah they are.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3706393980340482747

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

redz posted:

Has anyone else listened to Charts and Maps? They have 3 CDs here free for download : http://wiseowlrecords.com/artists/view/3 . Killed A Man is my favorite so far.

I saw them open for This is a Process of a Still Life @ The Comet in Seattle last March. You can listen to that show here if you'd like: http://iamserio.us/2008/03/20/this-is-a-process-of-a-still-life-2008-03-19/

And I thought they had more of a jazzy progressive sound than anything else. With regards to post-rock, tat is.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

shmee posted:

Still, should be a better size than when I saw them at Manchester Academy and everyone talked through Eluvium and pissed me off.

This happens at every Eluvium performance ever.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

^ That's actually a guy on the right.

sisonpyh posted:

Let me just recommend Beware of Safety. Criminally underrated and unknown which is a travesty. They're playing down here in LA/San Diego with Caspian on the 25th/26th :woop:

BoS is a pretty good act, yea. They have this song "Kaura" that has the most thunderous, singled out kick drum and snare hit in it.

And that 65dos cover is pretty sick. It actually looks like something that would come out of Warp with the text like that. Does anyone know the font? It looks like Swis721 but it could be something that's just very similar.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Jan posted:

And by right, you mean left.

In hindsight, yes.

I'd have sex with either of them, though.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

albear posted:

I'm confused by the last page's love train of 65daysofstatic. They're like the Lady GaGa of post-rock

What is this meant to imply? That they're really popular? Or that they dress ridiculously?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Caspian is playing with Red Sparowes in Seattle this month. I can't think of a better pair of bands to see in one night.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

albear posted:

More like "Those Who Tell the Truth..." and Eluvium were never as entertaining.

Heh. Look at this guy with his opinion. Time to show him mine :smug:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I hope you don't think "this music is so good it put me to sleep" is a way to compliment a band.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It feels like they're hopping on this recent trend of everyone making their sound closer to the electronic genres

I've read over this a few times and I still don't know what it's supposed to mean. What are "the electronic genres" that you're talking about?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I imagine no one will know until the band announces those dates. I can give you my best guess if you'd like though.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I don't know if many of you are fans of El Ten Eleven but they finally put out their original self titled album on vinyl and it's limited to 500 copies.

http://elteneleven.bigcartel.com/product/debut-lp-vinyl

The record loving owns if you didn't know.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

apophenium posted:

Pelican is pretty cool but their drummer is completely lackluster and sometimes it bugs me.

It is quite literally impossible to talk about Pelican without bringing up their drummer. Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'm seeing them next Wednesday night for the first time! I'm pretty excited :D

Here is that show