Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

~*your troubles are all the same*~
I've been enjoying the hell out of the shoegaze inspired heavier stuff like Jesu or the new Alcest. Heavy but melodic, I guess. What else is out there like this? Is the latest Pelican release worth taking a look at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

Has anyone seen the artwork for the new This Will Destroy You album?

The CD is pretty standard fare (sorry it's not bigger):

But the LP...

loving yes.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

Sometime next early year. There's either no exact date set or I simply can't find it, but the pre-order notices say that the CD won't ship for "at least 4 weeks" and the LP is at least 8.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

windwaker posted:

Yeah, I suppose I was just thrown off by people going gently caress YEAH THIS COVER IS THE BEST because that doesn't seem like the reaction one would typically give to a satirical album cover. It doesn't matter though, TWDY is great and I'll end up loving the album even if the album cover even if it's this.

What a dull, humourless life you must lead.

citizenlowell posted:

Souvenirs d'un autre monde is my record of the year but, is the older stuff worth a listen? I recall hearing its very different.

Alcest's older stuff is definitely more toward straight-up black metal. I have Le Secret and while you can kind of hear the sound that eventually fully arose on Souvenirs, there isn't a whole lot of similarity aside from the soft vocals on the first track.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

Big Wreck posted:

I'll probably skip it then since I've never gotten into that genre of metal and also because Niege claimed he never listened to any shoegazey or post-rock bands before Souvenirs - which I find laughable but hey, he's a free spirit.

I'd still say it's worth a listen. I'm not into black metal at all but I still enjoy it well enough. There's a good bit of acoustic guitar on it and there's no screaming until the second track, and even then it's fairly subdued. Just don't expect anything much like Souvenirs, that's all.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

I finally fixed a problem with my turntable so I decided to give it a whirl this afternoon. Put on side A of All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone and knew I had it loud but didn't really realize just how loud until that first big boom, at which point I thought my heart was going to stop, and one of my roommates came downstairs to tell me the entire house was shaking.

I turned the volume down a touch and switched off the button on my amp labelled "super bass". I really do love when things like that are totally unambiguous. There's very little question about what a button with that label is going to do.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

I for one always judge others based solely on the t-shirt they are wearing.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that windwaker's new title is awesome and so is whoever bought it.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

Also "Radio Protector" is one of the coolest songs ever, so anybody bashin' on 65dos can just stuff it.

Anybody else listened to Epic45's Let Your Heart Be the Map? It's really minimal, but amazingly pleasant. Probably treads a little into ambient territory (they're on Make Mine Music along with July Skies and a bunch of other similar artists), but this is as an appropriate thread as any.

Incidentally, July Skies' The Weather Clock was finally just released.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

There is nothing you could add to that that wouldn't just take away from it.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

JaWs posted:

Thursday night in Toronto, I had the pleasure of seeing Siberia, This Will Destroy You, and Lymbyc Systym at El Mocambo.

drat it, I didn't know TWDY was playing that show. Seven bucks would have been a steal. I caught the end of Lymbyc System's set when they opened for the Album Leaf (who sucked, by the way); what I heard was pretty enjoyable.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

deltawing posted:

I am new to Post Rock, and have only heard an album from 65DoS, God is an Astranaut and Fen (Black Metal/Post-Rock).

I enjoy Agalloch a lot, as I am a metal fan, and I've been wanting to get into Post-Rock a lot moreso lately.

Can you give me recommendations of the most classic Post-Rock albums ever, please?

You should definitely give Alcest a listen if you are a metal fan. If you're into black metal, you may know the guy behind the band, Neige, as one of the members of Peste Noire and Amesoeurs. It's not really post-rock - it sounds more like My Bloody Valentine than, say, Mogwai - but it's still excellent.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

deltawing posted:

I've heard a lot about Peste Noire...if I enjoy Alcest, would you recommend Peste?

Also, thanks for the recommendation! :)

^to both of you, actually^

It's kinda hard to lump Peste Noire and Alcest together, because even though they are slightly similar musically, Alcest is definitely far... nicer sounding. No screaming, less abrasive - heck, the song "Tir Nan Og" sounds almost new-agey. Peste Noire are fairly melodic at times, but it's still pretty straightforward black metal. You mentioned Agalloch; Alcest is going to be kind of similar to the song "Limbs" (just without the screaming).

Jesu is another mildly similar artist who can sometimes fit in the post-rock umbrella. Again, some metal influence and recently some of the same sort of shoegaze sound that Alcest has going on. Actually, if you're digging Alcest and Jesu, you might do well to dabble with some shoegaze and check out My Bloody Valentine or Slowdive.

As for your request of "classic post-rock albums"... Well, opinions are going to vary, but you'd do no wrong with The Earth is Not a Cold, Dead Place or All of a Sudden, I Miss Everyone by Explosions in the Sky or Young Team by Mogwai. The Four Trees by Caspian is pretty well-loved around here, too.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

deltawing posted:

You mention shoegaze, which is a term I am not very familiar with the exact meaning of. I know my metal inside out, but this is a new term for me, I'd appreciate some elaboration!

Also, thanks for the classic recs. Jesu is a band I've heard a lot about the past few years, will look into checking them out.

Also, I love Agalloch.

Agalloch are pretty sweet.

Shoegaze is usually characterized with a lot of distortion, droning guitar riffs and a "wall of sound" - that is, it's generally pretty noisy, thickly layered - nothing in the music is usually prominently defined, even the vocals. There's a lot of variation and these definitely aren't "rules", but expect some fuzziness. Wikipedia does a pretty good job covering all the bases. You should listen to Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. If "Only Shallow" doesn't hook you, nothing will!

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

Is anyone going to see Eluvium on any of the remaining dates on their tour? Like maybe Chicago tomorrow, or whatever other cities are left? If so, would you mind buying me a shirt? I bought a medium red one and it looked like it'd be large enough it's definitely too small. My fault for not trying it on I guess.

If someone can help me out I can either just pay you for the shirt + shipping or we can do a swap if you were planning on buying a medium red one. Buy a large instead and I'll send you the medium and cover shipping. I have PMs or you can email me in my profile.

Also Eluvium were amaaaazing. He's touring with two other guys, one of whom is Charles Buckingham who is the other half of Concert Silence. And playing a lot off Similes so the show was surprisingly upbeat despite his Ian Curtis-esque downer vocals.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

Lawnie posted:

there's another goon that I know named Uggy who might be going. Shoot him an email at sealboy6 AT gmail dot com and maybe he can get one for you

EDIT: lol you've already contacted him over last.fm!

hahaha what are the odds. I'm gonna email him anyway as I haven't heard from him. Maybe the fact that I'm on here too helps my "not weird" cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

I really dig the Six Parts Seven but have only heard 'Everywhere and Right Here' and 'Casually Smashed to Pieces.' They kinda do the same thing for both albums and it's nothing particularly "wow" worthy, but it's nice enough stuff - worth checking out their earlier releases?