Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I love you. The old post-rock thread was my favorite for discovering new music.

On the topic of new discoveries, mine have been this -

joelcamefalling posted:

Joy Wants Eternity - You Who Pretend To Sleep

Beautiful melodic postrock. Soft instrumentals, blistering crescendos and an awesome sense of dynamics. They prove that you dont need 20 minute songs to make outstanding post rock.

and this -

Immanu-El's "They'll Come, They'll Come"

Under Your Wings I'll Hide is my favorite song on there. It's sorta like Explosions but with soft vocals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ego Piano posted:

Hey here's another post: Most of the people in here probably already know about this site, but for anyone that doesn't, be sure to check out The Silent Ballet. It's a great site for finding new postrock of all stripes, and their compilations are fantastic.

Thanks a lot :unsmith:

I haven't heard of most of these, so I'm trying to check as many of them out as possible.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bucket Joneses posted:

...Of Sinking Ships - Self Titled LP

This band is pretty much one guy and he's actually the former bass player for Hopesfall even though it sounds nothing like Hopesfall. The guy's name is Chad Waldrup, he plays a ton of instruments (every instrument on the album apparently), and you'll get the song The Circumstances stuck in your head for days. Unfortunately, there is no Myspace to preview songs (the album came out in 2001) but the good news is a) there is one song on the last.fm artist page that is free to download and the rest are 30 second previews b)he is scheduling some kind of acoustic tour where he'll play this (and new) material and c) you can buy the album for ten dollars via their label (http://www.gileadmedia.net/store.htm)

I also really like the album art for this one:

This album is seriously awesome. There's no official MySpace, but there is this one and this one. I'd reccomend listening to the former first because The Last Signal... really is a great song, but so is The Circumstances, so both of them are good.

EDIT: Nevermind, the song up for free download on the last.fm link you posted is The Last Signal.... My bad.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 30, 2007

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

joelcamefalling posted:

Tunturia - Maps

Tunturia manages to take a wide variety of post rock styles and meld them into something beautiful. Epic and crashing, yet quiet and introspective - much like JWE, they manage to compress everything into relatively short songs, yet still sound spacious.

Try: Cast Shadows on Clouds

This one, this is just fantastic. That's just the track I needed to hear.

I can't believe this thread's only been up for around 6 hours and I've already discovered 3 or 4 great new post-rock bands.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

QVT posted:

I really like the quieter calmer bands like Mono and the Album Leaf, are there any other bands who have a similar calming style?

I also like regular harder post-rock just not in the same places, and I can find plenty of that. It's the soft stuff that is so rare out there, every band wants to throw in climaxes constantly.

Caspian can be really calming at times. Also, The Sea And Cake is wayyy relaxing, but I'm still not sure whether or not they're actually considered post-rock.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thehustler posted:

Tusk: You should check out some post-metal. Isis. Mouth of the Architect. Pelican. It sounds like you need some heavier stuff.

Yeah, this. Also Cult Of Luna and Jesu. Maserati can be pretty heavy, too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hydrac7 posted:

Check out the band North. I think they might be a goon band, but they have a nice sound that is somewhere between post-rock and post-metal.

Oh yeah, them too. I have Ruins and it's a pretty good album.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yay, my favorite thread :dance:

I have ...Of Sinking Ships' self-titled album in my CD alarm clock and I've woken up to it every morning for the past week or so. I love it. It's a very relaxing first thing to hear when you get up to start a new day.

Also, I found Souvenir's Young America through The Silent Ballet, and An Ocean Without Water is one hell of an album.

All the tracks seem to be variations of each other, but it works because the base formula is great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh sweet Jesus. When is that coming out? I can't loving wait now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

windwaker posted:

Are you being facetious? It looks like the cover of some lovely metal album. :(

It has the potential to be either really lovely or really awesome depending on how you look at it, yeah, but when it's in the context of This Will Destroy You, I see it as really awesome.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sexy Randal posted:

I'm glad I found this thread. I started listening to GYBE a few months ago and was surprised by how much I liked them, and have been getting into post-rock big since then.

That album cover looks like one of those lovely wolf shirts though, but I suspect that might be kind of what they were going for.

I am so getting a shirt like that with the pre-order :cool:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Big Wreck posted:

The TWDY album has leaked and it sounds pretty good. They've moved away from the EITS sound game but it's not a complete departure from what they were. While the first song has significant electronic elements I've noticed that as the album progresses the album as a whole gets mellower and the glitchy drums are replaced by an acoustic set until midway through "They move on tracks of never-ending light".. It also seems like they might actually be using a bow for some of the longer reverb swells.

The song "The Mighty Rio Grande" reminds me way too much of Caspian though.

I love The Mighty Rio Grande. It sounds like a song that would be played in a movie when someone's lost in the woods or something. It's just so epic.

Threads is amazing, too. I can't stop listening to it.

Really, every song on this album is great. I find it to be a much stronger effort than Young Mountain.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

windwaker posted:

I think overall the s/t is way better, but in my opinion The World is Our _____ is by far their best song. Maybe that's just because I've heard it more.

That is a good track, but I Believe In Your Victory is still my favorite from the EP.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Anybody hear the new God Is An Astronaut track "No Return" yet? I saw it was one of the tracks of the week on The Silent Ballet. You can buy the 320kbps MP3 from them for $1, or just listen to the whole track by clicking that little play button.

It has some of the same sort of vibes of their older material, but something about it makes it sound different, like they're maturing. I can't put my finger on it, but I'm definitley liking it. A lot. I hope to see where they go with this.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 7, 2008

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Haha, sweet. My mom just realized she forgot to check the mail yesterday and handed me a package from The Pax Cecilia. They sent me the free CD. Bitchin'.

I really like the artwork:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Reviving this thread with pics of my new TWDY stuff that came today:

Sorry about the lovely lighting.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Big Wreck posted:

Ah that's fantastic.

I'm going to wear it everywhere :3:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bucket Joneses posted:

I've heard about people getting their CDs already. I imagine the orders that include the LP are taking longer because the records aren't ready yet or something. Or maybe someone just stole mine from my front door.

Also: I finally authored a DVD of the 65daysofstatic show I filmed in August. It's on The Traders Den if you want a DVD or you can just stream it on google video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4052256735921093927

I pre-ordered mine back in December and read soon after that on their MySpace blog that everyone would get their orders before the street date of January 29th. A week or two ago when I hadn't yet received my order, I questioned whether it would come or not, so I emailed Magic Bullet and they said that they had just gotten the shirts in a couple days earlier and mailed everything out as quickly as possible. I received my stuff a day or two after I emailed them.

So yeah, it's probably just that they took a while to manufacture.

Also, the setlist for that 65dos show looks awesome :) Gonna watch it now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

windwaker posted:

Just think of the misconceptions people will have about your personality/what that actually is. :(

Sadly, this is true and already happening :smith:

I went over to a friend's house last night and I was wearing that. His other friend was there, too, and he's into a lot of music, but apparently not this kind. He asked me what the gently caress This Will Destroy You was, and I told him it was post-rock. He responded "Is that like prog rock? Also, why the gently caress's there a wolf and an eagle on that shirt?"

PEOPLE JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

joelcamefalling posted:

Angel Eyes - ...and for A Roof A Sky Full of Stars EP
Two songs, 27 minutes of heavy epic awesomness with about 4 lines of growled vocals that perfectly complement the music.

Plus the most kickass cover seen in a while.

listen to: One

This is awesome :)

I'm listening to it now and I love it. I think I'm digging Two more than One, though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

joelcamefalling posted:

Makes me realise that there is a place for vocals in postrock. Or at least some agression, we cant listen to Elvium all the time :)

This reminds me, have y'all heard of Red Room Cinema?

I read about them yesterday on The Silent Ballet and headed on over to their MySpace. They're incredible. Moonrace and Exalted In The Technique are two of the greatest songs I've heard in a long time.

They have vocals, but I think they fit perfectly with the whole atmosphere of the songs.

I meant to order their CD, but it slipped my mind, so I'll do it sometime later today.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

citizenlowell posted:

I figured this would be worth bumping the thread over.

Caspian has a new track out. They're putting out a split 7" with Constants and if you preorder, mp3s of the record are made available to you right away. Both tracks are excellent but, Caspian fanboy that I am, I'd say their contribution to the split is better.

It's darker sounding than The Four Trees but, it's still distinctly Caspian. They've played a few new tracks the last couple of times I've seen them and it seems like this is the direction they're moving in. I like it, so should you.

Get it here:
http://www.radarrecordings.com/recordings.php

I can only listen to the minute and a half long preview of it on their MySpace (here) because I'm spending what little money I have left on Nine Inch Nails' Ghost, but it's sounding pretty sweet.

Do they have a new release scheduled after this 7"? I'd love to hear more of them playing in this style.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A few of my friends are in a post-rock band called Good Day For An Airstrike.

Here's a link to their MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/gooddayforanairstrike

They only have one song up there, but they play many more live. I've seen every show they've played, and each one has been fantastic. If you're in the New Orleans area or are planning to be, you should check them out. They've got a bunch of shows lined up.

Also, I listened to the EF album I Am Responsible night before last and it was really good. If you haven't heard them, give 'em a shot.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I listened to the new Earth album today, and while pretty good for a little while, it became repetitive and seeemed like one 55-minute song that never changed.

Not quite sure why every reviewer seems to find so much favor with it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bucket Joneses posted:

That's because you were listening to a drone album and that's what drone sounds like.

I've listened to Boris stuff that's more dynamic than that. It can't all be that repetitive.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Theusz Hamtaahk posted:

The new Russian Circles cd, "Station" is pretty sick. Not as heavy as parts of Enter,but very intricate and delicate lines that culminate in some beautiful peaks.

I've been listening to that CD a lot the last few days. Great album.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just found out about Overseas on Saturday. Trails and Your Star are both really great tracks.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm realizing now just how absolutely beautiful How Stange, Innocence is. I mean, I always thought it was great before. But now, for some reason, it's on a whole different level for me. Every song on this album has this overwhelming power over me, especially Remember Me As A Time Of Day. That one just brought me out of depression within its 5 and a half minute duration, in fact. Playing piano along with it is really relaxing, too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Another one of my friends is in two bands, one being a solo ambient/post-rockish project. He just posted recordings the other night and I think they sound phenomenal.

Here's his music MySpace: The Self-Help Tapes

I saw him play live a couple months ago when he was opening for a band that some of my other friends are in, and the music just sounded completely beautiful. All he had on stage was a guitar, a few pedals, and a Moog. He manipulated it all by himself, and it sounded hundreds of times better than most music I hear with multiple people playing multiple instruments.

Also, if you like Only Everything a whole lot like I do, check out the original version done by his other band BlackBelt under the title "You Can't Forget It".

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

theblindparrot posted:

I'm looking to branch out my musical tastes a bit, could anyone explain to me what post-rock really is? I don't seem to understand it.

Wikipedia posted:

Post-rock is a genre of alternative rock characterized by the use of musical instruments commonly associated with rock music, but using rhythms, harmonies, melodies, timbre, and chord progressions that are not found in rock tradition. It is the use of 'rock instrumentation' for non-rock purposes. Practitioners of the genre's style typically produce instrumental music.

Apparently it all started with Bark Psychosis, Slint, Tortoise, and others, but now it's mainly about Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Explosions In The Sky, Sigur Ros, Mogwai, This Will Destroy You, 65daysofstatic, Russian Circles, God Is An Astronaut, and others.

As the Wiki article said, it's usually instrumental, but not exclusively instrumental. Most post-rock has a real epic sound to it, and a lot of the time, post-rock tracks will have buildups so they'll go from quiet and haunting to loud, furious, and chaotic.

The whole reason I like the genre so much is that it's pretty much perfect for any mood. In my case, I find it produces different effects for different times, different weather, etc. Some post-rock stuff is just perfect for watching a sunrise, while other post-rock stuff will be perfect for night driving in the rain.

If you want to start out listening to post-rock, I'd say get as much Explosions In The Sky stuff as you can. Some people may tell you to start out listening to GY!BE or Sigur Ros, but it's my personal belief that EITS is the best representation of the post-rock style as a whole. They have some stuff that'll leave you feeling really happy and uplifted, and other stuff that may depress you to no end. Listening to them is a great way to gauge the different moods of the genre.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 13, 2008

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wigglyben posted:

Are there any bands similar to GYBE but heavier? I'm looking for something that starts off really really, quiet, slowly builds up and has a really, really intense crescendo.

All of the post metal bands (Or Atmospheric Sludge or whatever you want to call them) I've heard don't really have that buildup, they're just heavy from the start. They're great, but I want something that builds up to be really intense.

In my experience, Cult Of Luna is probably the best for post-metal buildups.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wigglyben posted:

Yeah, they're probably the best at that. But not exactly what I'm looking for. They're still too sludge metal sounding. And they have vocals, which is fine but not exactly what I'm looking for. I want something that's post rock, but heavy. Post Metal is usually really distorted (that's where the sludge metal comes from) which isn't what I'm thinking of in my head.

I don't know if I'm describing it correctly.

I've been listening to two songs quite often recently, "Mother" by Meniscus, and "Ruins" by North, because I have them on a mix CD I made for driving in the rain. Both get pretty heavy after a while, but especially the latter.

Is this the kind of stuff you're looking for?

Another favorite of mine along these lines is "Show Me The Season" by Maserati.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Technetium posted:

Would you mind posting the tracklisting for it? That sounds cool and I've wanted to make my own for a bit now. It might give me some ideas (or I'll just use yours...)

Sure :)

quote:

mix81108 (rain mix)

1) M83 - Moonchild
2) Kevin Carafa - A Problem Situation
3) pg.lost - Kardusen
4) North - Ruins
5) Meniscus - Mother
6) Maserati - Show Me The Season
7) Minus The Bear - I'm Totally Not Down With Rob's Alien
8) Caspian - ASA
9) Jesu - Silver (Original Beats Remix)
10) EF - Tomorrow My Friend
11) M83 - Teen Angst

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Big Wreck posted:

Every thing off m83's Saturdays = Youth is great night/early morning driving music as well.

Well then I'll have to listen to that album again. I've only listened to it once, and I didn't really like what I heard, but it's probably safe to say that I wasn't giving it enough of a chance.

If I make another rain/night driving/whatever kind of mix, I'm definitley throwing some Mogwai on there. I don't know why I forgot to put them on that first one, but they've got a bunch of songs I love that sound like they'd be perfect for moods like that (I Know You Are But What Am I?, Acid Food, 2 Rights Make 1 Wrong, Stop Coming To My House, Christmas Steps, etc.)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Big Wreck posted:

Well, We Own the Sky and Kim and Jessie are the easy standout tracks but I don't recall the album being too hard to get into so maybe it's just not for you.

I'm debating seeing North tonight. They're playing second on a five band bill and I'm really only interested in seeing them...

Goddamn, you're right. We Own The Sky is amazing. This is like...the perfect representation of rain in music. There's no way I'm not driving to this.

And go see North! I've never seen them live and they aren't coming anywhere near me, but they've got a really awesome sound and I'd imagine that seeing them live would be a pretty awesome experience.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Danneh posted:

Also, looking at their gig-calender, it now says they'll be playing with mom, described as Electroacoustic Trance. I've listened to 'em for a few minutes and they sound alright. Not really post-rock, but still sounds good and refreshing.
http://www.myspace.com/qewmusic

I'm gonna see mom tonight because they're playing with Good Day For An Airstrike, who are friends of mine.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fuuuuuuuuck. I was gonna go see This Will Destroy You next Tuesday at Spanish Moon in Baton Rouge with some friends, but they canceled the show :smith:

I just found out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I know this thread never really gets updated much, but I just wanted to share that I found a post on Postapocalyptic Vanguard (the post-rock LiveJournal blog) about a post-rock internet radio station.

Here's the link: http://www.postrocking.com/

I've been listening to it for about 45 minutes so far and it's really awesome. Nice mix of calm/soft stuff and rocking/energetic stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

citizenlowell posted:

So I like the new Appleseed Cast record, but I haven't really explored the rest of the band's discography. Where should I move from here?

The only album of theirs that I've listened to all the way through is Peregrine, and it's drat good. I've heard Low Level Owl is pretty excellent. I've got a copy laying around somewhere, but I've never really listened to it. I probably should one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm guessing we're using this thread for post-metal too, so I just want to say that I listened to Isis' Panopticon last night and it blew me the gently caress away. Until then, I had only heard In The Absence Of Truth. I loved it, but for some reason I never listened to their other material. It's so, so very good.

I've gotta check out Celestial and Oceanic now, too.