Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I love Caspian, really I do, but they must suck at producing (or whoever does production for them, at least). I have maybe 3 or 4 Caspian songs on different driving mixes I make, and when they come on (especially after something exceptionally produced), they just sound like poo poo. Even if I have an early 90s rock song on there and THEN Caspian, the former still sounds way better.

They just all sound really muffled for some reason. And it's not like I downloaded a really low-quality rip or something, either. I've bought every Caspian track I have. Straight from the band, no less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just got back from seeing Mogwai (front row!), and it was loving incredible. I can't tell you how many times I felt pure elation during that set. Every bone in my body is shaking now.

Here's the setlist that somebody posted on Twitter (found on the widget on their MySpace):

quote:

the precipice
killing all the flies
friend of the night
you don't know jesus
i'm jim morrison / i'm dead
i love you / i'm going to blow up your school
hunted by a freak
ithica 27/9
kids will be skeletons
like herod
batcat

encore:
auto rock
mogwai fear satan

They didn't play either of my most favorites (2 Rights Make 1 Wrong, I Know You Are But What Am I?), but they played a ton of great songs and had a massive stage presence.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I know these guys are more post-metal, but I just bought my ticket to see Isis/Pelican/Tombs on Friday night and couldn't be more excited :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just chiming in to say that I heard Mono's "Yearning" while I was driving home on the interstate on Sunday night and it's probably my new favorite post-rock track.

It just fit so well with driving home at 80MPH in mostly darkness with not many other people on the I-10. The atmosphere was perfect.

It was on a post-rock mix I'd made almost a year ago, and I'd completely forgotten the name of the song so I had to go searching for it when I got home, but drat it's awesome. To be honest, I don't really like what I've heard of Mono's newest album, and I don't listen to their other stuff regularly either for some reason. This song, though...it's just loving spectacular.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

watermelon bar posted:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned zach hill but...
http://vimeo.com/4061453

i really think he deserves mention in this thread.

I love Zach Hill and all, but that's more math-rock than anything.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I already posted this in the "Shameless self promotion" thread, but I was recently invited to join Aiua to play synths and the song we recorded last week (which is the first one I'm a part of) is up now on the MySpace. It's called "Quiet Night, Falling Moon".

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

For some reason I heard about Gifts From Enola a loooooooooong time ago but I never checked out their music until now. It's awesome! I listened to "aves", and I'm halfway through "trieste" now. I'm gonna have to get this album.

A few of my friends in post-rock bands have been talking recently about whether or not they were going to play a show with Gifts From Enola / Irepress here. I don't know if they booked it or not, but regardless, I'm going to that show now because this is drat good post-rock.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That sounds like a Bond theme more than anything else.

I've tried and tried again to get into them, but their sound has just never really clicked with me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WoG posted:

The new Caspian album is up on gimmesound. (Downloadable 320kbps mp3s)

Listening to this now. God, it rocks so loving hard. I'm only on the third track so far, but if it keeps up like this all the way to the end, it'll definitely top The Four Trees for me.

edit: Yeah, it's keeping up. Their best album by far. Also, I just sent them a message on Twitter saying how much I liked it and they wrote back :swoon:

edit2: On "The Raven" now. This is exactly how a post-rock album should be. Goddamn.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 31, 2009

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

In case there's anyone else like me in the US that wants to see Caspian live but feels shafted because they're touring Europe for the release of the album, they just replied to me again on Twitter with this:

"we will be doing a full US tour early spring of 2010. really looking forward to it!"

So definitely some good news there :) I really hope they come to Louisiana.

edit: They just replied to me AGAIN saying they wouldn't miss Louisiana because they love the state. I'm a very happy camper now.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 19, 2009

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Capitan Dad posted:

i'm going to mono on october 8th, that's pretty much going to rule I bet

Going to see them in two weeks on the 23rd :)

I'm pretty excited, because some friends of mine got to see their 10th anniversary show in New York and have gotten my expectations raised reeeeeeally high.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Souldark posted:

Pelican updated on facebook to link to this.

I am honestly excited about this album, it cannot come soon enough.

gently caress YES :rock:

Between this and Strung Up From The Sky, I'm so excited for this album. It's like the perfect mix of City Of Echoes and Australasia.

I also hope I get to see them live again. Saw them at Spanish Moon in Baton Rouge in late May. They melted my loving face off. And then Isis played right after them! I didn't have an ounce of energy left after that show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

On track 5 of 7 of the new Russian Circles now. It's not going to beat Caspian's Tertia as Post-Rock Album Of The Year for me, but it's pretty good so far.

Also, I'm seeing Mono in less thsn 24 hours. CANNOT loving WAIT.

edit: Tracks 6 and 7 of the new Russian Circles album are clearly the standouts. Track 6, When The Mountain Comes To Muhammed, is the hardest-rocking. And Track 7, Philos, is, for lack of a better word, epic. The strings are incredible on this one.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 23, 2009

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jetstar posted:

I didn't like Station, will I like the new album? Asking this because I don't know whether to buy it or not. I thought their other albums were fine, though.

I've always thought their older stuff is good, but not the kind of stuff that could get stuck in my head. This new album is the real deal.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just got back from seeing MONO in Baton Rouge (front row!). Holy loving God it was amazing. They played with such emotion that it was absolutely mindblowing. I'm kind of at a loss for words right now because that show completely drained me.

Here's the setlist, with my favorites being marked by asterisks:

1) Ashes In The Snow *
2) Burial At Sea
3) Follow The Map
4) Yearning *
5) The Battle To Heaven
6) Halo
7) Halcyon *

I'm gonna give Hymn To The Immortal Wind another shot later on. What I'd heard of it in the past didn't impress me much, but then again I never listened to it all the way through, and the songs they played tonight from that album were so loving fantastic.

Go see them if you get the chance!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Listening to the new Pelican album now, and it's not very impressive at all :(

The whole thing's very samey, and the last song (Final Breath, which I'm on now) has vocals. Not that post-metal can't have vocals, because I love Isis and Cult Of Luna and tons of others, but the vocals in this song don't really work that well. And Pelican's done just fine without vocals for years, so why'd they have to go and change that now?

Ephemeral and Strung Up From The Sky are both really good, though. It's a shame that they released the two best tracks before the album even came out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

albear posted:

Well, you just described how I feel about all Pelican and what I thought about them when I saw them live.

Well they are post-metal, and a lot of their stuff is, for lack of a better word, chuggy. But still, all their releases up until this one have had more variety. Listen to Drought or Last Day of Winter, and then listen to a random song from this new album. Most of these new songs feel like they've got the groundwork laid but nothing's been done with them.

Listening to this new album felt like listening to the same drat song for like 50 minutes straight. Now, they can do something like that just fine, which they proved with the March Into The Sea EP. But the foundation here isn't nearly strong enough to pull off something like that. If they had changed it up a little and made the songs even slightly more interesting, I would've been all for it. The whole thing just felt dull overall, though.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 12, 2009

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm seeing Maserati play with my friends The BlackBelt Band here in New Orleans on the 21st, if I'm not mistaken. Can't wait! It won't top Mono or anything, but Maserati's pretty fun on the album I have of theirs (Inventions For The New Season), so hopefully that transitions to a fun live performance.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

siig posted:

maserati puts on an excellent show, their staging is pretty cool too--all four of them lined up right at the lip of the stage, even the drummer

their drummer's technical execution is incredible, too, he does some pretty wicked poo poo

THIS.

Oh my God, I just got back from seeing them and they were loving incredible. So much more relentless than any other instrumental rock/metal band I've seen. And you're so right siig, the drummer was probably the most fun to watch out of all of them because of just how crazy he performs. They're really nice, too, as Atomic Hotdog said. I talked with them after the show and they seemed to be really appreciative that I came out and loved their music.

My favorite songs of their set were my two favorite songs of theirs (Show Me The Season and Monoliths). They loving slayed on those. The whole set was incredible, but it was like they pulled out all the stops for those two in particular, which was great because those are the two I wanted to see the most.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Farts Domino posted:

were you at Maison de la Musique? I saw that too.

I don't really listen to much post-rock anymore, but Language of Cities was one of my favorite albums before inventions came out. Didn't they have a line-up change at some point? Either way, they stood out to me because they weren't about the build-up-and-crash-down thing that a lot of bands had, and Keep it Gold was more aggressive than any of the other post-rock I'd heard at the time (later bands like Russian Circles would catch on).

Somebody who hadn't heard of them at the show the other night asked what they were and they said "I don't know, 70's psychedelic progressive rock?", some guy responded "some might say post-rock" and Maserati-guy was clearly avoiding the term. Aside from it being a weird word in general, I think it's kind of true: I'd much sooner align them with kraut-rock and Can etc. than Godspeed.

Yep, I was there :)

And I hadn't thought about comparing them like that that. To me, though, they're more like a cross between math-rock and post-rock/post-metal. They definitely don't sound like Godspeed, but there are many different sounds in the (sub?)genre. For instance, Sigur Ros and Russian Circles don't sound too similar a lot of times, and yet both are usually considered prime examples when anyone has conversation about post-rock.

On the topic of Maserati, I haven't heard any pre-Inventions material. I love Inventions, and I'm definitely digging the new album Passages, and you all are making their earlier stuff sound interesting, so I'm thinking I need to check it out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

slowdave posted:

There isn't even a significant difference in their sound from from one song to the next.

Eh, more or less. But the formula they've got going works, and works really loving well.

Iraff, I'd say start with "You Are There" or "One Step More And You Die", but really you can get any one of their albums and have that be your starting place.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jerry Fuchs (the incredible drummer from Maserati discussed earlier in this thread and former drummer for !!!) died today at age 34 :(

He fell 5 stories down an elevator shaft. What a lovely way for such an amazing dude to go out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I don't know if this would even count as post-rock anymore, but Eluvium has a new song up for stream from his upcoming new album. It's the first song he's done with vocals, and kind of sounds like a more produced track from The Album Leaf. I think I prefer his instrumental ambient stuff more, but this isn't too shabby.

The new album's out at the end of February, if any of you are interested.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

suddenlyissoon posted:

I just saw a commercial for new balance that used "I believe in your victory" by this wil destroy you.

I remember seeing the remake of Prom Night last year, and the main character was listening to it while she was getting ready for prom. When I heard it come on, my reaction was "Wait...that can't be....This Will Destroy You? :psyduck:"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

albear posted:

I don't get the Caspian love in this thread because Tertia was awful except for The Raven but one song doesn't make the entire album not awful.

What the gently caress are you talking about? I mean, you're entitled to your own opinions and all, but awful? Really? Name a better, more cohesive post-rock album that's come out this year, besides Hymn To The Immortal Wind by Mono because that's a given.

I could see how you could think it's just okay, because while I don't agree, I have some friends who think that and I can understand where they're coming from. But how is it awful? If anyone asks me about getting into post-rock, Tertia's probably the first album I'd recommend.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

joelcamefalling posted:

Anyways, Mono live was one of the most incredible shows I have ever seen. They are loud.

Definitely. If any of you get a chance to go see them, TAKE IT. You won't regret it one bit.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rhg0061r posted:

Yet never coming to Ireland :(

At least you have God Is An Astronaut there, who will probably never come back to the States because their equipment got stolen last time they were here :smith:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rhg0061r posted:

If it makes you feel better, they posted a myspace blog about how they've managed to upgrade their studio + live performances quite a bit, so I guess they're not in debt anymore.

I may get to see them 3 times a year, but I don't get to see them with Caspian!

Oh God, seeing them and Caspian together would probably be the best post-rock show ever.

This reminds me: Caspian's tour date here was announced. It's March 16th. Can't wait for that!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Steve Winwood posted:

Whoa, when did that happen?

From their Wiki:

Wikipedia posted:

In early 2008, the band embarked on their first tour of the United States. On the day they were set to return home, $20,000 worth of equipment was stolen from their van in New Jersey. Their equipment was not insured and a tour that had reportedly already cost the band $20,000 to organize had suddenly doubled in cost.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Steve Winwood posted:

Whoa, when did that happen?

From their Wiki:

Wikipedia posted:

In early 2008, the band embarked on their first tour of the United States. On the day they were set to return home, $20,000 worth of equipment was stolen from their van in New Jersey. Their equipment was not insured and a tour that had reportedly already cost the band $20,000 to organize had suddenly doubled in cost.

But this

Rhg0061r posted:

If it makes you feel better, they posted a myspace blog about how they've managed to upgrade their studio + live performances quite a bit, so I guess they're not in debt anymore.

gives me hope that maybe they'll come back!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aiua, the post-rock band I'm in, has a new song up! It's just called "5" for now, because it's going to be the 5th song on our upcoming album. No official name yet, though.

http://www.myspace.com/aiuaband

I'm interested to know what you guys think :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

One Time For All Time and The Fall Of Math are the most memorable for me. They've got all my favorites on them.

One Time has Drove Through Ghosts To Get Here, Await Rescue, Mean Low Water, 65 Doesn't Understand You and Radio Protector. The Fall Of Math has Install A Break, Retreat! Retreat!, I Swallowed Hard, This Cat Is A Landmine, Hole and Aren't We All Running?.

To be honest, though, I've only listened to The Destruction Of Small Ideas once all the way through. That was when it first came out, and I haven't listened to it since. It didn't really make much of an impression on me. Maybe I should try it again, but I just know it didn't hit me nearly as hard as One Time / Fall Of Math did.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm just now realizing I forgot to post about this in here, but I saw Caspian and Arms And Sleepers about a week ago. Arms And Sleepers was great, really pretty ambience with some nice beats and deep bass. Probably the best concert opener I've ever seen. And then Caspian absolutely TORE poo poo UP. Honestly, it was the most fun post-rock show I've ever seen. Mono is the best emotional post-rock show I've seen, but Caspian was just energetic as gently caress and really a blast to watch.

So yeah, if you get a chance, go see them!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jan posted:

I hadn't really paid attention to Maserati, even though I saw them open for Mono and recognized their drummer when the poor guy killed himself in an elevator shaft.

Anyway, I decided to give them a honest listen and I gotta say I like them -- Inventions for the New Season is a good album.

I saw them a week before the drummer died and that dude absolutely stole the show. I count myself so fortunate now to have seen them when he was playing with them.

But yeah, their music is great. My two favorites from them are Show Me The Season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At7ZIIrA0Rc

and Monoliths

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKSRvqnrajQ

Not surprisingly, they were also my favorites that they played live. I felt they put the most energy into these two, but the whole show was energetic as gently caress, really. Lots of fun to experience.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ediment posted:

I just read the last 15 or so pages of this thread and am surprised to see no mention of ...Of Sinking Ships. If you're a fan of This Will Destroy You, EITS, God is an Astronaut, you should enjoy this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrtM2qvIwhg

Well it's in the OP....

But yeah, it's a great album. The founding member is the ex-bassist of Hopesfall, a post-hardcore band, and honestly Of Sinking Ships sounds like instrumentals for a post-hardcore band, but more mellow. If you like the instrumentation of a lot of post-hardcore but can't listen to it regularly because of the annoying screaming like I do, you'll love this.

It's too bad OSS only has one album. I mean, it's fantastic, but I just listened to it so much in 07 when I found out about it that I completely wore it out. Their MySpace says they're in the studio, though, or at least they were as of Fall 08. Though the blog says the album was supposed to be finished by late 08, and it never came out, so I don't know what happened there.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thehustler posted:

https://www.myspace.com/65propaganda

ALL of the new album for streaming.

Edit: Oh god Piano Fights :fap:

Edit: Oh god Come With Me has one "R. Smith" doing guest vocals on it. :fap:

Well gently caress, only on the second track but this is already WAY better than I thought it would be.

I think this is actually the first album to come out this year from an artist I like that hasn't disappointed me.

I'm so going to rock the poo poo out of this in my car when I get a hard copy.

edit: Just finished Piano Fights. I know "epic" is overused when describing post-rock and all, but every single track so far has been epic as gently caress.

edit2: Debutante :aaaaa:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 20, 2010

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RasaFrasa posted:

I'm attempting to expand my musical horizons from metal and punk into other genres of music. What do you guys consider a good starting place into post-rock? I tend to like darker melodies and lots of atmosphere as opposed to happy sing-along type music (if that makes sense and helps?)

So feel free to recommend away while I work backwards in this thread!

You aren't going to find much if any sing-along stuff in post-rock considering it's largely instrumental. A lot of post-rock tunes are catchy and you'll be whistling them a lot (if you're like me), but most don't have a chorus or anything.

For darker stuff, you'll probably want bands like Pelican, Russian Circles, Cult Of Luna, Isis, Red Sparowes, North, and Jesu. A few of those are actually classified as post-metal, so if you're coming from a metal background like you say you are, you'll probably find those easy enough to get into.

There are a bunch of post-rock bands that have darker tunes every now and then, but I'd say to start listening to those few first. If you like their sound, definitely check out the likes of Caspian, Mono, and Explosions In The Sky. They alternate between light and dark melodies, for the most part. Mono's kind of the exception, though. They tend to make more bleak sounding stuff.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 21, 2010

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alright, sorry. But when I'm trying to think of "dark" post-rock, that's what comes to mind. I think of that stuff as darker, and "Your Hand In Mine"/Sigur Ros type post-rock as lighter. Is that really wrong?

I can see Godspeed being dark, but even though they were the fist post-rock band I ever heard, I can't in good conscience recommend them as a starter band to anyone trying to get into post-rock. Their stuff isn't terribly accessible and not many other post-rock bands have their kind of sound, so I wouldn't say they're a great representation of the genre as a whole.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 21, 2010

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

albear posted:

Heavy and dark aren't the same thing. I can agree that "Your Hand In Mine" and Sigur Ros are very much hopeful sounding though.

Also I'd say that GYBE are a great representation of the genre considering every other post-rock band pretty much has been influenced by them at one point or another. Maybe you can't get into them as easily but I think they can be very accessible.

An album I think is pretty dark sounding is A Silver Mt. Zion's first release. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_W7ydnPtB4

I think anyone who gets into post-rock and has heard a lot of it and likes it should listen to Godspeed, so they can see how they influenced basically every post-rock band. I just don't think someone who wants to get into post-rock should listen to them when they're just starting out with the genre.

Think about it, what's more likely to turn someone on to a certain style of music? A 5 or 10 minute long song that has poo poo going on for its entire duration, or a 25 minute long song where nothing of value happens for the first 5 minutes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

albear posted:

Depends on if they're someone who comes from a background listening to pop music where they need immediate gratification from their music or someone who can be patient to get the payoff of having such great build ups.

I know my opnion isn't the most popular here when it comes to GYBE, I just think that buildups can be done just fine, even better than Godspeed's with shorter songs. Personally, I'd rather listen to a song that always has something going on that warrants me listening to it, as opposed to Godspeed where that only happens for a percentage of the runtime of one of their songs.

It's not that I hate ambience or anything. Hell, I've made ambient music myself. And one of my favorite bands is The Mars Volta. I just think there's a right way to do music like that and a wrong way, and while Godspeed isn't terrible at it, they're not amazing at it either.

That's why I'm of the opinion that GYBE laid some of the groundwork for post-rock, and bands that have come after them took their formula and refined it, made it better.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 21, 2010