Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hydrac7 posted:

Lately, I've been hooked on The Pirate Ship Quintet. The last song on their EP, titled Pirate Ship, is excellent and the mix of strings and trumpet really keep me coming back for more.

http://www.myspace.com/thepirateshipquintet

I was wondering where the Post Rock thread because I wanted to mention them. They're definitely an act to follow, I think this is their first release.

Ego Piano posted:

Hey here's another post: Most of the people in here probably already know about this site, but for anyone that doesn't, be sure to check out The Silent Ballet. It's a great site for finding new postrock of all stripes, and their compilations are fantastic.

Thanks a lot for this, Post Rock is one of my favorite genres but I only regularly listen to 3 or 4 bands and I could stand to branch out a little. It's harder to get into new Post Rock then it is music from other genres, though. If I find out about too much Post Rock at once I end up sort of glossing over all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

mezzir posted:

I'm still somewhat unclear on the definition of post-rock, but who cares, I'll list some favorites anyways (especially since I haven't seen any of them listed yet. That either means I'm super-awesome and better than everyone or I have crappy taste)

Red Sparowes - Every Red Heart Shines Towards the Sun
For some reason I got it into my head when I first got this album that they were Swedish, or from somewhere in that region. Googling for a picture of the album I noticed they were from LA. Oh well, close enough. They rock. I like this album so much more than anything EITS has ever done.

Red Sparowes are a great band. If you like them it definitely wouldn't hurt to check out Russian Circles, which at times sounds like a harder Red Sparowes.
Actually, everyone check out Russian Circles. They've toured with Pelican and Mono so you know they're good.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Now for something a little different:

Efterklang has vocals (choirs of them, actually) and no guitars, but still manages to call themselves Post Rock. Beautiful, ethereal choirs backed by horns, violins, pianos and at times a weird glitchy electronica feel. Check out this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSKIl-NeZeE&eurl=http://www.efterklang.net/

And if you like that then visit the band's website at http://www.efterklang.net/
It's more on the soft Post-Rock side of things, though. I wonder how long it'll be before Post Rock starts getting subgenres.

And here's their trippy cover art so I can fit in:

Edit: I'm stupid. This cover art is actually off of Under Giant Trees, which came out earlier this year. Their latest, Parades came out 2 weeks ago. It was the first time I had heard of them and I almost instantly fell in love. The cover art for that is here:

It actually matches the style of that video I posted which is neat.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 2, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

QVT posted:

I really like the quieter calmer bands like Mono and the Album Leaf, are there any other bands who have a similar calming style?

I also like regular harder post-rock just not in the same places, and I can find plenty of that. It's the soft stuff that is so rare out there, every band wants to throw in climaxes constantly.

Top of this page.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

QVT posted:

I sorta just stared at the awesome of their covers and didn't read anything about it. I'll look into it though, sounds different and I'll judge the album by it's cover and buy it.

And that video is awesome. I usually dislike music videos but that one is great. What artist does their stuff?

According to their homepage:

quote:

It is directed and designed by Hvass&Hannibal and UFEX
Which links to these sites:
http://www.myspace.com/hovedkontoret
http://www.myspace.com/ufex

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Last Post-Rock thread I complained that I hated the new Jesu and Pelican. After a couple of listens, the Pelican album City of Echoes really grew on me. I hated all their other material at first so I don't know why I thought I would like this right away. It's definitely a different sound, a lot less sludgey and more post-rock but they pull it off.

I still hate the new Jesu material though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Human Lobster posted:

Even Pale Sketches? I don't really like the split they did with Eluvium (holy christ that Eluvium track is the most boring 20 minutes I've ever sat through) or the Lifeline EP, but Pale Sketches is awesome. For the record, I also didn't enjoy Conqueror very much.

I actually like Pale Sketches more than Conqueror and the EP. Still not as good as his old material, but I did like some of the tracks a lot.

And I've been listening to that Alcest album since August, it's great.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Late to the discussion, but Te's Sore wa... is incredible and quickly became one of my favorite Post Rock albums. I think it's the guitar sound really; the sound especially on track 9 (Naniro no...) is amazing. It starts with ethereal echos and progresses to emotional wailing guitars, I love it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lord of Sword posted:

Not many people have heard or ever mention Té, but they're one of my favourite post-rock bands, and about as far from the GYBE/EitS style as you can get. Some of their songs are up on their myspace page, Avarice... being my favourite song of their's:

http://www.myspace.com/tejapanese

I mentioned them a couple of pages back, just got into them and I really like them. Only heard "Sore Wa.." though so I'm trying to track down their other stuff, it's very hard to search for a band named Te'. Now that I know the english album names it should probably be easier, though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I've listened to Boris stuff that's more dynamic than that. It can't all be that repetitive.

Boris changes styles on every release now, they're in no way a drone band for the most part.

It mostly is all that repetitive, it's not for everyone.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Theusz Hamtaahk posted:

The new Russian Circles cd, "Station" is pretty sick. Not as heavy as parts of Enter,but very intricate and delicate lines that culminate in some beautiful peaks.

A lot of the harder Post Rock bands have been toning it down, Russian Circles does it too but thankfully not to the degree Pelican did. They're a better Pelican now than Pelican is.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bagpuss posted:

The new 65DOS has got to be the best full album I've heard so far this year. Can't wait to seem 'em in Bristol!

Man I have to disagree, it was such a huge dissapointment. It was just so boring

Andre Weed 420 posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't think that the new 65dos album is post-rock at all? I mean I feel like it can't even be compared to most post-rock bands

It feels like they're hopping on this recent trend of everyone making their sound closer to the electronic genres, you can see it in a lot of recent pop music and they went from some kind of mathrock/postrock/electronic hybrid to trying to become full fledged dance music. And I don't mind that, if it's good, it's just not.

Steve Winwood posted:

is post-rock dead now?

I dunno, I think I completely lost interest in the genre really and there seemed to be a time when everyone was incorporating post-rock into their sound and a lot of the bands were getting mainstream recognition but I think that time has passed.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 25, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bucket Joneses posted:

I've read over this a few times and I still don't know what it's supposed to mean. What are "the electronic genres" that you're talking about?

I wanted to say they're hopping on the trend of everyone in recent memory doing electro all of a sudden but this isn't quite electro so I changed it to "electronic". Basically there's been this weird trend lately of everyone making club hits and it seems like they're trying to reach that and failing.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

65dos exists to get the blood flowing, in my opinion. And while there are a ton of post-rock bands that also do this for me, the two go about it in completely different ways.

It does and this album just doesn't do it for me. I seriously loved everything up to this point, the first 3 albums being basically all of the climax of post-rock with very little of the buildup. The last couple of EPs were way closer to dance music but I still liked them a lot. This album, nothing grabbed me at all. For a band that exists to get the blood flowing some of the songs are just buildup with not enough payoff, and FOR THEM it's slow and not the climaxes generally aren't worth waiting for.

Maybe I need to give it another listen but almost nothing I liked about the older albums is in here.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Do you know how hard it is to google the Japanese band Té

I loved the albums I've been able to find but it's such a hassle trying to get them. I found a 2012 album of theirs, but is it an album or a live thing? I think I have the 2007 and 2010 ones and they were some of my favorite albums ever. The album and song titles alternate between japanese and english. Even on iTunes they seem to have the earlier ones in English than the latest one in Japanese.

On top of that every album has the same artwork with a different color in case you weren't confused enough.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ooh neat, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm seeing Sigur Ros as part of a festival in Poland soon, excited for that. Haven't listened to them in a long time Unfortunately no EITS since they went to Fuji Rock instead, even though Sigur Ros and RHCP and some other acts are going from London to Tokyo back to Poland

http://opener.pl/pl/Lineup-2016

To be honest the lineup is basically "What are the acts going to glastonbury we recognized" but I like Poland