Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

BrandNewHero posted:

A bit off topic, does anyone know what happened to Jeff Davidson after he quit Catch-22? I dug the stuff he did w/ them and was sad to never hear from him again. I heard he played drums in a reggae band or something, but did he ever sing again?

He did gang vocals for Streetlight and the Acoustic Bandits. That's technically singing, right? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

You run skachilles, or is there a bigger SM-related board?

Think about the domain on which the SM board, which technically isn't called Skachilles anymore for a reason, is hosted.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

So uh... anyone got a copy of Suburban Rhythm like I do?

The five ska cds that people keep trying to buy off of me are the SR album, OCG - From Downtown, The Pharmaceutical Bandits - Those drat Bandits, the red Chris Batstone pressing of the Suburban Legends EP, and the original BOTAR pressing complete with handmade case. I don't listen to most of those cds/bands much these days, but it's nice to know that I could pawn them off on some hardcore ska fan if I'm ever desperate for a quick buck.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

WaffleZombie posted:

The only problem is now I have my holy grail. I need a new CD to fuel my CD browsing. I found Jeffries' Fan Club's Nothing to Prove about a year ago, and I'm struggling to think of another hard to find ska CD, although the Impossibles Anthology is a possibility. Any suggestions? I'm thinking along the lines of Spring Heeled Jack, Edna's Goldfish, mid-90's ska-punk that's OOP. Or does anyone else have a CD they've never been able to find?

There have been quite a few CDs that eluded me for a while, but for the most part I've managed to nab copies of them. There are a few that, despite not listening to those bands anymore, I'm really glad that I was able to get for regular (sub $15) prices, such as The Scholars - The Last Great Record of the 20th Century and The Pharmaceutical Bandits - Those drat Bandits. Then there are others that I'm afraid that I'll wear out one day, like the Moon Ska pressing of Hepcat - Out of Nowhere and See Spot - Is There Any Love in Your Ska?.

The one CD that I'd really like to acquire, though, is the Sequel release of Prince Buster - Fabulous Greatest Hits. It has such a great track listing compared to the other versions out there.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

It was terribly painful to watch that video. His whole discourse about hats made me cringe. White hat for happy ska like Reel Big Fish and Less Than Jake? Ugh.

Mike_V posted:

That kid sucked, though.

Seriously. I was barely able to listen to how he described the music. Did he even mention Jamaica once?

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Is there anything Save Ferris like that isn't terrible? I know of Tip the Van, a CT ska band, but they have this gimmick in singing harmonic fourths (I think its fourths?) and that wears thin pretty quickly. Also, old No Doubt works, but have any other worthwhile 3rd wave bands had female vocalists?

Metro Stylee has been dead for nearly ten years now, but I find myself popping in their cd for nostalgia's sake every now and then. Said album is also available for free to download through their placeholder website.

Speaking of dead bands, Mass. Hysteria also had a female vocalist. They were more rocksteady and reggae in their sound, though.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 30, 2008

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Evil Vin posted:

I'm arguing with myself if really want to see Big Reel Fish/Streetlight Manifesto tomorrow; tickets sold out and I found a guy on Craigslist selling the tickets for regular price + ticketmaster fees. For people who seen them play and are more of casual fans is worth being poor for a few days?

The Roseland show? You can still purchase tickets from the LiveNation website.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

not a dinosaur posted:

Hepcat is loving bad rear end but they are old so

To be fair, the majority of RBF aren't exactly young either.

Hepcat puts on a great live show. I wish they were playing at the NYC date.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

lessthankyle posted:

I'd like to imagine there are more people who like ska than Becker. Hopefully.

I would venture to guess that people would be more apt to recognize him from PCU.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

I, too, am attending both Streetlight full album shows. I just wish I didn't have to show up to 9:30 a.m. classes.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Dickeye posted:

How rad was Big Sleep live

It's one of those things that I imagine as just being a mind-blowing experience

They actually played that song on both nights. It was the last song they played for their encore at B.B. King's but Tomas' voice was pretty much gone by then so they were pretty much dependent on a lot of crowd singing.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Obama Yo Mama posted:

something i totally just realized for the first time and it makes the song that much better for me now:

the horn part at 3:20 in if and when we rise is a jazzed-up version of brahm's hungarian dance #5

i always knew i heard it somewhere before but could never pinpoint it. that's one of the main reasons why streetlight rules, they get their influences from so many non-traditional ska genres

It took me a few weeks to realize that the middle of On & On & On was Pachelbel's Canon.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

The Specials have been announced for Coachella.
http://www.coachella.com/event/lineup

Here's hoping for a solo US tour.

They probably won't be doing a proper tour. They're playing New York five days later.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Obama Yo Mama posted:

do WHAT now

They're playing Terminal 5 on April 21st. Ticketmaster says they go on sale this week.

Strangely enough, the show was listed on the Bowery Presents website (even announced on their Twitter account), but it's not there anymore.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

http://www.thespecials.com/grapevine/?p=164

quote:

TUESDAY 13TH APRIL: APPEARANCE ON NBC`S LATE NIGHT WITH JIMMY FALLON 12:35/11:35c

THURSDAY 15TH APRIL: CONCERT AT CLUB NOKIA LA CALIFORNIA

FRIDAY 16TH APRIL: PERFORMANCE AT COACHELLA FESTIVAL INDIO CALIFORNIA

MONDAY 19TH APRIL: CONCERT AT SOUND ACADEMY TORONTO ONTARIO CANADA

WEDNESDAY 21ST APRIL: TERMINAL 5 NEW YORK NY

The Specials officially announced some North American dates on their website with "further updates coming soon."

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Obama Yo Mama posted:

I'm seriously going to camp out in front of terminal 5 starting on the 19th and try to scalp some tickets

Why? The show on the 20th isn't sold out yet. The show on the 21st is.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Those 2-Tone bands did tons of covers and reinterpretations.

The Specials:
- Monkey Man (Toots & the Maytals)
- Too Hot (Prince Buster)
- Maggie's Farm (Bob Dylan)
- You're Wondering Now (Andy & Joey)
- Enjoy Yourself (cover of the Prince Buster version)

Madness:
- Madness (Prince Buster)
- One Step Beyond (Prince Buster)

The Selecter:
- Carry Go Bring Come (Justin Hinds)

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

So I was reading this article on the Specials from the NY Times and noticed something interesting in this paragraph (emphasis mine):

quote:

Now, a year after a successful 30th-anniversary tour in which six of the seven original Specials barnstormed across Britain for the first time since 1980, the band is coming to the United States for one of its highest-profile gigs yet, a featured spot on April 16 at the influential Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in Indio, Calif. That gig, a handful of club dates (the group plays two sold-out shows at Terminal 5 in New York on April 20 and 21), an appearance on “Late Night With Jimmy Fallon” and a free Aug. 22 show at Summerstage are the Specials’ first American shows since two grueling tours here in 1980 and 1981 exposed personal and musical rifts that continue to this day.

This is the first news I've heard of a Summerstage show. Guess New Yorkers luck out again.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Just in case no one knew about it, The Specials will be performing on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon tonight.

Bonus on-set rehearsal photo courtesy of Twitter: http://twitpic.com/1fclxt

EDIT:

Unaired performance of Little Bitch is online -

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/exclusive-online-performance-the-specials-41310/1218678/

interpunct fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 14, 2010

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

lessthankyle posted:

Terry Hall isn't really known for his diverse range of facial expressions.

Dude also suffers from bipolar disorder and attempted suicide a few years back. It's nice to see that most of the band is as exuberant as they were 30 years ago, though. They were a really energetic live band back then: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP-0MIs_Jjk

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

I guess this is for any New Yorkers out there:

quote:

This Friday night at Death by Audio in Williamsburg, you'll be getting groovy old school reggae sets from The Hard Times as well as The Heavy Beat (on tour from PA), a full set of Vic Ruggiero, and then a Very Special Episode encore set wherein Vic Ruggiero joins forces with The Hard Times to play some of your favorites from The Clash, The Specials, The Nods plus some gems from Trojan Records and good old rock-n-roll.

Also, I broke down and bought a ticket for the Toh Kay solo acoustic show next week at Joe's Pub. Going to shows in New York is making me poor again.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Dickeye posted:

So guess who may be going to the yearly Slackers show in Brooklyn, and the afterparty?

The Slackers holiday shows are always a good time. Having Greg Lee from Hepcat and Jesse Wagner from the Aggrolites as a special guests isn't too shabby either. Expect some cool cover songs. For one of the best holiday shows I went to, they had Alex Desert, King Django, Mush One, and Stephen Jackson as guests.

I can't make it this year because I dished out the ridiculous cash to see Weezer play Pinkerton at Roseland.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 9, 2010

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

guppy posted:

What is Scott capable of without RBF? If he's staying in music I'm pretty interested in what he does next. Has he made any announcements?

Well, the Littlest Man Band's music was pretty fun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xd7j_F4l9I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNb9zujmof8

He might pop up with some solo shows around New York, if anything. His Twitter account would probably be the best source for "announcements" of what he'll be up to: http://twitter.com/thelittlestman

EDIT:
RBF was a stepping stone for me to other bands from the Orange County ska scene and more traditional ska, rocksteady, and reggae bands. One of my happier cd finds was a copy of The (OC) Scholars - Last Great Record of the 20th Century in a Tower Records. They apparently had a one-off reunion last year, too. It's weird seeing Aaron Barrett playing the trombone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHNV_SYCxR0

interpunct fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 12, 2011

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Backno posted:

I wonder where in the gently caress this show will be at becuase there hasn't been a hoosier dome for a while, and I have serious doubts this tour would be at Lucas Oil..

It's probably a small DIY venue named the Hoosier Dome. In New York, there's one of those called Shea Stadium.

EDIT:
http://www.piradicalproductions.com/hoosierdome/

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Speaking of Streetlight, Tomas seems to have added a second solo show at Joe's Pub in May. If you're in the NYC area on May 5th/6th, I'd recommend going. I went to a Toh Kay show June and it was pretty fun, save for this one dude near me whistling horn lines in the wrong key.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

When I think of Christian ska, I think of the OC Supertones. I just remember being in high school and borrowing a friend's cd of the band and occasionally putting it on as background music. One day I decided to pay more attention to the lyrics, and their overt Christian messages made me realized that they were a bona fide Christian ska band. Being able to look up their lyrics online now, I should have realized it sooner:

quote:

I'm wide awake
and thinking about the cross,
the Trinity apart.
I dig and come up empty,
clutching an empty heart.
I found it funny because the friend from whom I borrowed the cd was Jewish.

Bonus link to song the lyrics are from - http://youtu.be/ht5Dk-Ue8cs

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Hey so MY GIRLFRIEND got us tickets to see Tomas do his solo acoustic stuff. Anybody heard it? Worth going?

Saw him do a solo show at Joe's Pub last year. It's a pretty fun experience even though he's obviously not the best singer and will sometimes forget the lyrics to his own songs. Lots of people are going to be singing along and, unfortunately, will even song out the horn parts.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

aricoarena posted:

Ska Thread; I need your help! I'm making a CD for work and I'm calling it lovely ska covers. I have several, all the RBF stuff, I just remembered the Less than Jake Greased stuff, various cure covers, that cover of freshman, but I want to organize it from oldest song to newest. Are there some sweet old songs that got ska covered? I think the oldest I have is Hippos groovy kind of love, or RBF talking 'bout a revolution.

Send halp please.

Also are there any "classics" that have been covered that I missed?

I probably could start listing a ton of Jamaican ska covers, but I'm assuming that's not what you're looking for.

Does the BumbleBee Tuna song by Mephiskapheles count? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Lrh6z-VDc

As for some covers of actual songs:
The Pietasters - It's The Same Old Song [Four Tops] - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osPijYP_f3g
Hepcat - Gimme Little Sign [Brenton Wood] - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyGZrcA9YJE
The Hippos - So Lonely [The Police] - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs53tjU7Uls
The Slackers - Wanted Dead or Alive [Bon Jovi] - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so0j02nLEXw
Chris Murray and the Slackers - Janie Jones [The Clash] - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgZjClfvQxk

EDIT:
Also, everything off of the first two albums by the Skandalous All-Stars.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

crazkylo posted:

also, I remember hearing something about RBF's Singer leaving a few months back. Do they already have a replacement?

Judging by recent videos of them on YouTube, they replaced Scott with a saxophonist that sports a mohawk.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Anyone going to be in NYC on Saturday? I came across this horribly compressed flyer for a show at Mercury Lounge that's advertising a "special guest" band named 8 Iron Men. Does their logo look familiar to anyone?

It's Mephiskapheles.

Here's a video from their most recent reunion show:

http://youtu.be/XhSOztejjiw

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

I may be the only person excited about Metro Stylee on that bill.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

WaffleZombie posted:

OH poo poo THE SPECIALS ARE TOURING IN THE NORTHEAST. I have tickets for Philly and Asbury Park. YES.
Just in case anyone was wondering how "authentic" (for lack of better words) The Specials are as a band these days, Jerry Dammers (who didn't partake in the most recent Specials reunion) and Neville Staple are not touring with the group. That being said, the band—especially Terry Hall—sounded fantastic when I saw them during their 2010 US tour.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

I'm not sure if anyone is in need of a single ticket for the last BTMI! show on Sunday, but there is literally one left for sale through Ticketweb as of a minute ago:

http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/SaleEventDetail?dispatch=loadSelectionData&eventId=3925204

Edit:
...and it's gone.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 16, 2014

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

lessthankyle posted:

Did anyone make it to the Apple Stomp make up shows this weekend? I had to miss out on Sunday, the only one I was planning on seeing.

The secret headliner for Friday night's pre-show (or whatever) was some amalgam of the Pietasters with Vic Ruggiero and Jeremy Kay. Their set was about two hours worth of sloppy/drunken performances with a lot of sudden stops, forgotten lyrics, and random insertions of popular songs. It was kind of entertaining, but dragged on a bit too long. I think I walked out of Cake Shop at 2:30 a.m. or so.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I can definitely see how she was better 15 years ago, but gently caress you if you don't think Monique Powell doesn't still have it. Also the bass player is a loving boss. The show was cool, but they didn't play Spam. The new stuff sounded okay also.

Her voice was shot from the very beginning of the set. It was pretty rough.

I also believe that I'm Not Crying For You and Spam were on the setlist as a second encore, which they did not do.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

http://www.beacontheatre.com/events/2018/january/streetlight-manifesto.html

Wow, people are going to have to shell out $60 (before fees) for the good seats at the NYC show.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Mollymauk posted:

Bout to watch this orchestra play the songs of my childhood

I, too, saw the Acoustic Bandits.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Geoj posted:

Any idea if Mephiskapheles is with them for the entire tour?

They're going to be in town in mid-November but no mention on the SM or venue's websites.

These are their tour dates (shows with Streetlight are marked with a *), according to their Facebook page:

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/the-mighty-mighty-bosstones-break-up-1291565/

quote:

The band did not reveal the cause of their sudden breakup. As their Facebook page notes, they were scheduled to perform at the Slam Dunk Festival this coming June, but the split comes just days after it was revealed that a song that promoted Robert F. Kennedy’s anti-vax rally in Washington, D.C. was apparently produced by Bosstones frontman Dicky Barrett — or at least someone with the same name — according to the song’s credits.

"Dicky Barrett being an anti-vaxxer" leading to the Bosstones breaking up wasn't even on my radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Jesse Michaels and Tim Armstrong (backed by the Interrupters) performed an Operation Ivy song at some fundraiser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNAQWN89rbo