Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

My friends wedding is riot fest weekend. Can we bump riot fest a week forward or back please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

drunk asian neighbor posted:

They announce them around a month before the festival AFAIK. I believe you can buy tickets to them, but if you have a VIP ticket you can get into any of them for free. I dunno why I keep calling them secret shows, the website refers to them as after parties.

http://riotfest.org/2012/08/chicago-after-parties-announced-tickets-on-sale-now/

VVVVVVVVVVVV I couldn't go last year because it was the weekend of Rosh Hashanah =/

I'm in Baltimore and we had the first Shindig here last year, including the Murphys and the Bosstones and it was on loving Yom Kippur. :argh: Lineup this year isn't nearly as good.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Streetlight finally announced their mystery gift. And it's adorable:

quote:

Hello there.
It was just over a year ago that our record "The Hands That Thieve" came out, and it was quite the nightmare for us. We won't bore you all with the details of our battles against the record label we were unfortunately signed to, so here's some actual news that will affect everyone that placed a pre-order through our webstore. As you remember the label in question refused to send us our own cd's so that we could fulfill preorders and has since refused to pay any royalties from any of the money our music makes them. Members of the band have only seen the record at shows, when you guys bring them and ask us to sign them. But we'll get to that at a later date. Today we are announcing that we will immediately begin shipping the "mystery gift" we promised those of you that ordered the cd a year ago.

We were determined to make sure those of you that supported us when we were down and struggling would get something as good as or even better than the cd you'd hoped would end up making a home in your cd collection. This is what we will be sending you: It's a cardboard digipak cd case. Inside you will find a 24 page booklet, chock full of photographs and poems (10 poems, to be exact). Also in this cd case is a blank cd, with a lovely design printed on its front surface. You can use the blank cd to store your digital files, as a coaster, or even to burn your favorite songs. Any songs you want to put on it, you can put on it. You can put any amount of songs on it, as long as that amount will fit on a standard CD-R. You can burn 2 songs, 30 songs or even 10 songs, it's up to you. You can find music to burn onto the cd on the internet, or even ask fellow fans of bands you like to share their favorite songs so you can burn them, as long as you do so legally, or whatever. Then when you're done burning the cd (it takes a few minutes, but it's really quite simple to do), you can put the cd on your shelf, in your car, wherever. There are no words on the cd (besides the poems), no bar codes, no logos, no mean-hearted little dogs, nothing. It's just a blank cd that we're providing for you, along with a booklet of poetry and photography. That said, this will be a limited edition item, obviously. Once we're done sending them out to those of you that preordered the album and chose to wait to see what the mystery gift was, we will sell off however many we have left and that will be the end of that.

So! We're going to be very busy for the next few weeks while we wade through our seemingly never-ending list of addresses and package and send off a couple thousand of these little guys. Please bear with us while we ship these out (remember we are a tiny outfit). We know you've been patient for the last year and we cannot stress enough how much we appreciate it. If you have any questions, shoot us an email at store@riscmail.com or call us at (213) 278-0283.

For those of you that might feel that we've left you a little too much in the dark regarding all of this; we can only apologize (and we do, wholeheartedly) and offer you this explanation: We've had an extremely difficult year and a half dealing with an awful, awful record label and their lawyers. We plan on telling the entire story eventually but we simply cannot now, while it's still unfolding, for legal reasons.

Thanks again for your support and understanding. See you tomorrow, for more and potentially equally awesome news.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

A blank cd.
R
O
F
L

Glad I got my money back.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
To be fair they are probably dead broke.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I thought it was then tongue-in-cheek saying they were gonna send out the actual CD burnt onto a CD-R.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Riot Fest:

It's an outdoor festival all three days. Friday usually starts late afternoon like 4PM, Saturday and Sunday will start at like 12:30 or 1. If it's the same as last year, they will have five stages, one of these being a small stage for smaller acts, which I generally like seeing more than the big stuff. The secret shows can be extremely difficult to get a ticket to. I have never actually gone to one because they sell out so quickly, but if you stay on it, you should be able to get something. I'm not even sure if VIP tickets get you into those shows anymore, something to look in to. VIP tickets do give you a lot of beer tickets, and your own special section to get said beer, although I rarely had trouble getting a beer from the regular lines.

Edit: I can't go this year because I already planned a vacation and will be out of town. Also, they just announced this as well. http://riotfest.org/2014/05/10-years-10-essential-albums/ That's 10 bands playing their biggest albums in their entirety.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
gently caress supporting a band I like.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Meltathon posted:

Riot Fest:

It's an outdoor festival all three days. Friday usually starts late afternoon like 4PM, Saturday and Sunday will start at like 12:30 or 1. If it's the same as last year, they will have five stages, one of these being a small stage for smaller acts, which I generally like seeing more than the big stuff. The secret shows can be extremely difficult to get a ticket to. I have never actually gone to one because they sell out so quickly, but if you stay on it, you should be able to get something. I'm not even sure if VIP tickets get you into those shows anymore, something to look in to. VIP tickets do give you a lot of beer tickets, and your own special section to get said beer, although I rarely had trouble getting a beer from the regular lines.

Edit: I can't go this year because I already planned a vacation and will be out of town. Also, they just announced this as well. http://riotfest.org/2014/05/10-years-10-essential-albums/ That's 10 bands playing their biggest albums in their entirety.

So, other than the name, how is this not like bigger than cochella?! I've never been to a big festival, but bought tickets to this and just cant believe everything that is happening there. Granted, this fest is WAY more in line with my tastes (esp. high school me) than Cochella.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

There's a lot more people in black? I've never been to Coachella so I have no clue what that is like. The stages are pretty well spread apart, so you don't get a lot of cross chatter between stages. There's also a carnival, with a ferris wheel, some spinny rides, a midway, all that jazz. You have to buy tickets inside for those, like $1 a ride or something. Beer is reasonably priced, I think $5 or $6 for something like Magic Hat.

This takes place in a large park on the NW side of Chicago. Public transportation to/from there kind of sucks because it's a good mile or more to the nearest El station, so the buses get crazy packed. If you can, ride a bike, that is the lowest hassle way to get there, otherwise plan to walk a long ways.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Sandwolf posted:

I thought it was then tongue-in-cheek saying they were gonna send out the actual CD burnt onto a CD-R.

The idea is that they legally can't send the actual CD, but they CAN send a blank CD with the album art, in a case with the album title and all of the album lyrics and the names of the songs on the album on the back. What you do with that CD is, of course, entirely up to you.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Meltathon posted:

quote:

Jane’s Addiction: Nothing’s Shocking (Chicago)

The Offspring: Smash (Chicago)

Weezer: “The Blue Album” (Chicago & Denver)

Slayer: Reign in Blood (Chicago & Denver)

Samhain: Initium (Chicago)

NOFX: Punk In Drublic (Chicago & Denver)

Descendents: Milo Goes To College (Chicago)

Naked Raygun: Throb Throb (Chicago)

The Get Up Kids: Something To Write Home About (Chicago)

**One More TBA!

jesus loving christ

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
is it weird that i'm the most excited for the get up kids? gently caress I love that album.

i'm also having my fingers crossed that that last album is going to be deja entendu but i'm pretty sure they just did that so i'm not holding my breath.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys

guppy posted:

I'm in Baltimore and we had the first Shindig here last year, including the Murphys and the Bosstones and it was on loving Yom Kippur. :argh: Lineup this year isn't nearly as good.

On the one hand that line up definitely is a bit disappointing. On the other hand, Fishbone.

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.
Streetlight Manifesto touring this fall:

quote:

WE’RE BAAAAAACK…

Ladies and gentlemen, we are beyond excited to announce a series of shows, a mini-tour if you will, spanning the North American Northeast this very fall! These will be the only non-festival, full headline set shows for the entire year of 2014 so put that sandwich down and order your ticket now before you get grease on your keyboard. Most (if not all) of these shows will sell out so do it now, then you can get back to that hoagie. Supporting will be none other than Mr Dan Potthast and Mr Chris Murray. Tour art by Jake Wyatt. Rocking by us. Fist pumps and mosh pits by you. See you in a few months!

10/17 Boston, MA
10/18 Montreal, QC
10/19 Toronto, ON
10/24 Sayreville, NJ
10/25 NYC, NY
10/26 Silver Springs, MD

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Usually I can't be bothered to go to Silver Spring, but man, Streetlight. Never actually been to the Fillmore.

Speaking of the Fillmore, Rx Bandits are playing there soon. Complete tour dates: http://www.rxbanditsofficial.com/

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

hito posted:

The idea is that they legally can't send the actual CD, but they CAN send a blank CD with the album art, in a case with the album title and all of the album lyrics and the names of the songs on the album on the back. What you do with that CD is, of course, entirely up to you.

Yeah this is loving hilarious and I'm fine with them having ten bucks for the CD minus the songs I already have.

edit: Literally, the secret gift for not asking for a refund for your preorder is that they fulfill your preorder minus the music.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 16, 2014

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

so much for recording instead of touring

i am very pessimistic and a sad person

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Fateo McMurray posted:

A blank cd.
R
O
F
L

Glad I got my money back.

It's the album minus the music you idiot douche.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Sade posted:

It's the album minus the music you idiot douche.

No poo poo. Might have been cool if this was the 90s and CDs were used for something besides ripping mp3s from. Or if the album wasn't over a year old already. It's lame as gently caress and anyone saying otherwise is lying to themselves.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Fateo McMurray posted:

It's lame as gently caress and anyone saying otherwise is lying to themselves.

This is the ska thread, bud.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fateo McMurray posted:

No poo poo. Might have been cool if this was the 90s and CDs were used for something besides ripping mp3s from. Or if the album wasn't over a year old already. It's lame as gently caress and anyone saying otherwise is lying to themselves.

You're a stupid baby who can't appreciate the fact that this is literally them thumbing their nose at Victory for not just giving them the CD.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Literally The Worst posted:

You're a stupid baby who can't appreciate the fact that this is literally them thumbing their nose at Victory for not just giving them the CD.

Oh I understand. It's just dumb. Especially so long after it's release.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fateo McMurray posted:

Oh I understand. It's just dumb. Especially so long after it's release.

You're dumb.

edit It's also unique packaging and art specific to the Mystery Gift people plus whatever's left, so there's that.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 17, 2014

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Just got my Apple Stomp tickets :sax:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So while having my entire library on random, I heard a song that was vaguely familiar but sounded pretty good! I looked and holy poo poo it was Catch 22, from their Permanent Revolution album that I had completely forgot existed. I remembered not liking this album very much, but maybe I was wrong? Nope, most of the songs still aren't very good, but there were a couple that were better than I remembered.

At any rate, what the gently caress happened to Catch 22? They haven't released anything since Permanent Revolution, and that was eight goddamn years ago. Their website is currently just a giant flier and hotlink to buy tickets to a concert from two years ago. :psyduck: The most I can find from them is their facebook, which has only had "hey go support our musician friend at this show" and "woo, 500 likes!" posts through the past two years as well.

I mean I know Streetlight basically stole the show from them, but I didn't think they'd just up and vanish like this. I would've guessed they'd at least announce they were splitting up or something.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I really really like that album.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Outside of Prologue, On the Black Sea, and maybe Epiloue I don't care much for it honestly, but maybe the rest of it will grow on me a bit after listening to it more after having forgotten about it! At any rate, does anyone know where they vanished to?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Ryan Eldred was on the Ska Goes Solo tour. That's the closest I've seen to seeing Catch-22 billed in years.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.
That's so bizarre that the Catch-22 splinter group are Trotskyists.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

loving apple stomp got cancelled what the gently caress

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Obama Yo Mama posted:

loving apple stomp got cancelled what the gently caress

Actually good news for me because I only wanted to see IV4K and now it's only $12.50 vs. $40.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I forgot the Planet Smashers put out a new album last month. If you also forgot it, you can buy it for $5 right now at Amazon MP3: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._rd_i=163856011

Their $5 sales change monthly, I think, so if you want it snap it up soon.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Rick gave me props for knowing all the words to "Dear Chris Demakes", and I think Jay Tea was on acid. Good show.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Did Streetlight's "Special Gift" ship yet? Anyone get one?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

New Deal's Gone Bad album is now on Spotify, dunno if it's on iTunes or Amazon yet.

http://open.spotify.com/album/7720bsW3xr1vQklck3vJbW

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Did anyone make it to the Apple Stomp make up shows this weekend? I had to miss out on Sunday, the only one I was planning on seeing.

Shabar Shabaz
Oct 11, 2004

good job buddy now lets go have a drink
I was at both but left after IV4K on Saturday. The Cake Shop is a horrible venue and seemed especially bad for a ska show.

Sunday was good though. I skipped most of Jiker's set because I wanted to watch hockey, but everyone else was really great. Slow Gherkin had Jeff Rosenstock and Dan Potthast playing with them for a little bit, and just seemed really happy to be on stage. MU330 (really just Dan singing their songs with people from other bands playing with him) was the secret guest.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I caught the Fad, Johnny Too Bad and IV4K on Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

lessthankyle posted:

Did anyone make it to the Apple Stomp make up shows this weekend? I had to miss out on Sunday, the only one I was planning on seeing.

The secret headliner for Friday night's pre-show (or whatever) was some amalgam of the Pietasters with Vic Ruggiero and Jeremy Kay. Their set was about two hours worth of sloppy/drunken performances with a lot of sudden stops, forgotten lyrics, and random insertions of popular songs. It was kind of entertaining, but dragged on a bit too long. I think I walked out of Cake Shop at 2:30 a.m. or so.