Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

quote:

FYI Mark Hoppus produced at least one of the songs of that album,

If Mark Hoppus's production on the new Motion City Soundtrack isn't amazing, I don't know what is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Obama Yo Mama posted:

production is one thing, but is the album lovely like the last one was?

even if it kills me was like the biggest disappointment of an album that i've probably ever heard. mcs went from one of my favorite bands to meh in about 3 hours.

It's probably my favorite album of the year. It's been pretty much praised everywhere. The only song on the entire album I don't love is worker bee.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Reel Big Fish is coming out with their own greatest hits album.
http://www.antimusic.com/news/10/june/re24Reel_Big_Fish_Announce_A_Best_Of_Us_For_The_Rest_Us.shtml

I can't wait for the acoustic stuff.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Josh Wow posted:

Also just a reminder loldance unironically enjoys Mest. Who's got dumb opinions now? And she told me 33 West was a good band and they were godawful.

I once saw the lead singer of Mest fill in for John of Goldfinger because his voice was busted up for a concert. :)

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
So who's listening to the RBF album?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

guppy posted:

Wait what? there's a new RBF album? Amazon knows nothing of this.

It's a greatest hits album with all the songs redone. They were pissed enough that their former record made a greatest hits album without their consent. It also has a bonus acoustic album from Best Buy.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Where have you been? is such an awesome Skacoustic cover.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I've seen Reel Big Fish like 10 times but I've never seen the aquabats, and an Omaha stop!

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
The LTJ thing pisses me off because they haven't even toured in Nebraska since I was in high school. It almosts pisses me off as much as Zebrahead is touring with them in Europe, and Zebrahead hasn't even been in America for a full tour in over 2 years since Matty had throat surgery.

Dammit, I would kill for a LTJ/Zebrahead tour in America. Dammit Matty, I live in your hometown!

I did see a Home Grown/RX Bandits/Zebrahead/Goldfinger/Reel Big Fish show though once. Oh the good times.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Goddamnit LTJ why do you hate Boston

I'm not driving to Hartford to watch Vinnie waste 1/4 of their set with idiotic banter.

Lawrence Kansas and Des Moines and no Omaha. Sigh.

At least I get to see RBF and Aquabats on Sat.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
RBF tomorrow with the Aquabats. First time seeing the Aquabats and like the 10th time seeing RBF. :woop:

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Aquabats ruled. My heart skipped a beat when they threw the child into the crowd to crowd surf though.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
So he'll be replaced by someone else who doesn't talk and just stands in the backroom during concerts I assume.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Reel Big Fish will own till the day Aaron leaves.

People always come up to me and ask

"Hey lead singer of Reel Big Fish, how come you aren't as cool as the Aquabats!"

:allears: I love them.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Any dates out? Streetlight is worth it.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
How did no one direct me to this video for I've Set Sail?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydLfyrDi2iQ

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

aricoarena posted:

Ska Thread; I need your help! I'm making a CD for work and I'm calling it lovely ska covers. I have several, all the RBF stuff, I just remembered the Less than Jake Greased stuff, various cure covers, that cover of freshman, but I want to organize it from oldest song to newest. Are there some sweet old songs that got ska covered? I think the oldest I have is Hippos groovy kind of love, or RBF talking 'bout a revolution.

Send halp please.

Also are there any "classics" that have been covered that I missed?

Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Simmer Down
Five Iron Frenzy – Mama Mia
Rx Bandits – Grey Matter
Five Iron Frenzy - Sweet Talkin' Woman

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCcMtbsH6u0

I would kill for another RBF/Zebrahead concert.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Any love for the new sublime with rome?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QySzDXKr3JY

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

get out.

Who pissed on your ska cornflakes.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Streetlight should do an x-mas album.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

guppy posted:

Friendly reminder, new Bosstones record out today. Besides physical copies, I know I got mine from Amazon MP3 and I assume it's available on iTunes too. I actually forgot all about it in the last day or two, but my Twitter feed this morning was full of retweets by the Bosstones' account, so it was hard to miss.

Settling in to listen now, though it will be broken up by times that I'm away from my desk and I'll want to give it a few spins before reporting back.

Amazon is showing that it is unavailable right now for mp3s....

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

guppy posted:

Not only is it available, it's on sale for less than I paid for it: http://www.amazon.com/The-Magic-Of-Youth/dp/B006GKC8GM/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323549797&sr=301-1

Are you non-US?

No. When I posted that, every single mp3 had an unavailable next to it. Glad to see it is working again.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
http://kroq.radio.com/2012/02/06/ska-favorites-reel-big-fish-recording-new-album-get-a-sneak-peek/

RBF in the studios.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I wish there was a digital version of the streetlight bundle. No need for a physical cd.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I'm seeing LTJ in Baton Rouge in March. Just happen to be down there for my g/f's family trip. Can't wait!

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
How loving stupid. I want to throw money at Toh Kay. He should just set up a paypal or something.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

nerve posted:

Mandala is their best album so don't skip it.

I can't believe they haven't made anything since 2009 :emo:

However, speaking of the 2000's.

New goldfinger?

http://www.goldfingermusic.com/

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
No With Any Sort of Certainty?

But seeing Toe to Toe makes me happy.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

lessthankyle posted:

I still think a kickstarter to buy LTJ train tickets out of Gainesville is the way to go.

1. We're really leaving town this time, for real!

There is a very very small chance that I'll get to go see Streetlight in Chicago. I hope my schedule works out. It just happens to be I'm planning a trip around that time to Chicago..

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

FateoMcSkippy posted:

New LTJ song "My Money Is On The Long Shot" released:

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/less-than-jake-my-money-is-on-the-longshot-song-premiere

Now I'm really stoked on this album

Came here to post it. Sounds good. I might have to go see them for a second time this year.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Can't wait for their newest, we really really got to get out of this town song.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I noticed CM Punk in there as well.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

MondayHotDog posted:

Who enjoys ska covers of Christmas-themed blink-182 songs? I do!

http://iv4k.bandcamp.com/album/i-wont-be-home-for-christmas

Edit: They don't mention it anywhere, but if you buy it (pay what you want), the b-side is another cover, Eddie Money's "Take Me Home Tonight".

Just saw this now. One of my favorite blink songs too.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Has anyone listened to the new mustard plug?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

guppy posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea there was new Mustard Plug. Here's an Amazon link, since apparently it isn't filed with the rest of their albums: http://www.amazon.com/Cant-Contain-It-Mustard-Plug/dp/B00HES8QRU/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&sr=1-1&keywords=mustard+plug+can%27t+contain+it

Yea it took me forever to find it on Amazon. 8 bucks, I bought it. I really like it.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Seeing RBF for like the 8th time tonight. Can't wait.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Obama Yo Mama posted:

I know it's really popular around these parts to shun the direction they've gone in over the last decade, and admittedly, it's neither ska nor the most generally acceptable sound, but if you really don't think this is musically their best album you're probably in denial.

This is coming from a guy whose favorite RX songs are Hope is a Butterfly and You For Christmas, so take that for what you will.

It took me a few listens though, but now I can't get enough of it. I literally listened to Ruby Cumulus like 15 times on repeat yesterday.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
By some sheer stroke of luck, I'm going to be in anchorage for work the same time Toh Kay is going to be there. Please baby Jesus, don't make me have work that night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Got to see Toh Kay and talk to him briefly outside the bathroom!

He wouldn't play Kristina, because he said his girlfriend would castrate him. Tickets were only 8 bucks too.