Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
According to the Starland Ballroom calendar, Streetlight is planning to do a two night gig where they play "all of their songs." The date is TBA, and I don't know if it's just going to be in Starland because that's by where they started out (Sayreville, NJ), but if it happens in August when I move to Texas and that's true then I'm going to be so upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Grandmaster.flv posted:

there's literally never a right time to move to Jersey tho

If part of the two night show is them covering Catch 22 post TK I might beg to differ.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Obama Yo Mama posted:

hey tom how's about you fuckin record something

He doesn't want to turn into the band who just plays the same music over and over again until the songs lose meaning.

... Which is why they're playing the same songs on tour over and over again

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Hobbit posted:

He's still playing Catch 22's songs.

On one hand, I can see why: I can admit that when I saw them, I kind of wanted to hear one or two things from Keasbey, or even their cover of Linoleum. And when neither were played, the younger folk broke out into "1234, 1234" outside the venue. I also want (as much as it will never happen) to see them cover some of the post-Tom stuff, or vice versa.
But yeah, on the other hand when they announced they were going to tone down they said "We have decided to step away from the table before we get sick of our favorite meal; we’ve seen enough bands over the years grow old playing the same songs for decades, going through the motions, slowly fading, and more depressingly, continuing on for all the wrong reasons."

So yeah, what rear end Catchcum said: He's weird.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

seventeen posted:

Spin has the new Rosenstock album streaming right now

http://www.spin.com/articles/jeff-rosenstock-we-cool-album-new/

This guy just reminded me that Japandroids exist and now I'm listening to the Japandroids.

... His stuff was good, too :v:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Brb swimming to England

Also, while I've never heard of Jeff before this thread started talking about him last page, I think he's one of my favorite musicians for his personality alone.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Shabadu posted:

impossible, jeff puts out new music

:vince:

Jeff also puts his old band behind him

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Fateo McMurray posted:

Jeff invites underage girls backstage too?

Isn't that an accusation that is put to, like, every band?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I mean, Tom left to finish school, right? So I mean he's [probably] always free to join up with Catch again to live '98 over and over again.

no but seriously though Catch 22 reunion tia
e: alternatively I'm like Tom and just want a decent version of Keasbey Nights that isn't less energetic like Streetlight's was but I don't think that's possible

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I dunno why, but To Leave or Die in Long Island has a special place in my heart.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Hat Thoughts posted:

How do you feel about Bruce Springsteen

He is my favorite ska band

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
We've finally found something too outdated and too useless for a ska megathread

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
An idea to help the people who want skaggestions (oh god did I really just type that), maybe we can make a collaborative playlist on Spotify so they can see what the 90's nostalgic hivemind likes and get introduced to new music Jeff?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Streetlight Manifesto - All of their drat songs except Keasby Nights. At which point you must go back to original Catch 22

Also all of Catch 22

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Regardless of what Tomas wants you to think, no Catch-22 song is a Streetlight Manifesto song

I prefer Catch's Keasby to Streetlight's. The former sounds like it has real heart in it and really feels like it's just done by a bunch of kids, rather than late twenty somethings pretending to live out 98 again. They have way more energy in their performance on the original.
Also post-Tom Catch is still pretty good. Alone in the Crowd is still a pretty sick album

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Permanent Revolution is okay.
Didn't they do faux-metal at one point? Or am I thinking of another band

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Literally The Worst posted:

Streetlight's On & On & On is awesome and has the Pachelbel's Canon part

Isn't that in the Catch version too?
Also the only thing I give is the extra verse in Dear Sergio

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Fateo McMurray posted:

Debut album from boston ska/punk Poor Jeremy. It's pretty rad
https://poorjeremy.bandcamp.com/album/it-could-always-be-worst

I dig it. :thumbsup:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

EatinCake posted:

*My band* just released our first EP, which, while not really Ska, has horns and oomph, and would probably appeal to this crowd. I'd like to throw this in the Punk thread, but if I'm being honest it probably belongs here more.

You can listen here!

Hope ya'll enjoy it! If ya have any feedback, feel free to throw it at us/me. Mostly just enjoy though!

Cheers!

Also, that dog isn't photoshoped. His name is Wheels and I bought him at a local Goodwill for $5.

They're both really great. Streetlight's version is technically superior- it's tighter and has a lot more professional sound to it, I don't think anyone can argue against that. It really shines on songs like On & On & On, where Catch 22's version is just a mess.

Catch 22's album in it's sloppiness has a more... authentic(?) feel to it. It sounds like it has more heart to it, and for a few songs (Sergio!) it works well when it doesn't need to be so tight. Also, the band reading off people they'd like to thank at the end of 1,2,3,4 is just so. so. Sooo very much more fun to listen to than a robot doll out a literal manifesto on why the album was made.
Agrees with my opinions, has good music, and a kickass album cover.
Nomination for best post of the thread

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
EatinCake giveth good music, EatinCake taketh away :(

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Skeezy posted:

Distance relationships suck and so does this. I really liked the album.

Oh wait apparently it's not happening???
Wheels is gone though. I hope they can survive without the backbone of the band.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Speaking of Streetlight, Victory Records didn't get paid on time by Spotify so they pulled all their music including Streetlight and Catch.
Meanwhile Victory hasn't paid two years of royalties to Streetlight.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Skeezy posted:

Are you loving kidding me.

E. I still have the albums up on Spotify, I guess it'll get taken down eventually?

They popped out of my playlists. When I tried to play one I had queued up I got "This track is not available in the United States" so I dunno if it's just America or what.

But yeah, no matter what your thoughts on Tom are, no band deserves to get hosed by a label

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Also Streetlight and Catch are back up on Spotify :toot:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Some rear end in a top hat stole all of Jeff's gear

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Literally The Worst posted:

it doesnt look like johns sweet red bass got stolen at least

i would literally cry if that happened

i have no idea why but i would

On the list of stuff gone it says John's bass...
I hope he has multiple and it wasn't the red one :ohdear:

But yeah, I'm super glad that they broke past their $10 benchmark (before they realized the cost of all that was gone) and now they're gonna hit their $18K goal pretty soon. People are nice, yo

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Most all of BTMI's stuff is either really hit or really miss for me. To Leave or Die in Long Island has the most hits, and therefore is the best album.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I'm turning a corner on New Jeff.
New Jeff is now consistently Good.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Fun Times! posted:

Seeing Streetlight this weekend. Can't remember if people smoke weed at their shows.

Report back if Tom found a different hat and/or shirt to wear for this tour

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://twitter.com/SManifesto/status/833916254528212992
https://twitter.com/SManifesto/status/833919919901126657
please god be what I think it is

e: tour. Kalnoky you tease me so

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 21, 2017

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Well I guess it's time for an A Call To Arms re-make so they can get it right this time

"We're gonna do a cover album of San Francisco Payphone to really get those songs sounding like they should've"

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
NO MATTER WHAT YOU CALL IT, IT WILL STILL PISS PEOPLE OFF. AND THAT, AT THE END OF THE DAY, IS ALL THAT REALLY MATTERS

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I grew up on Streetlight over Bosstones, so everyone's bad tastes are clearly a personal attack against me. Also, leaving New Jersey and missing out on the annual Streetlight Starland show (combined with the fact they won't come to loving Texas :argh:) is a personal attack on me as well.

And w/r/t randomly humming tunes, this conversation made me realize that my go-to pump up jams of exams this week has been a mix of Point/Keasbey/Counterpoint which in retrospect might not be the most optimistic of choices for wanting to do well :v:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
For some reason I thought Kill Lincoln broke up. Stoked to see that I'm wrong though

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
saved y'all the time

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I dunno if EatinCake is around here anymore, but I'm on a road trip and Gallant Ghosts came up for the first time in a while. Their first album dropped when I was moving for the first time, so it reminds me of the old times.

I don't really have a point, but I'm glad goons make good music even if it was a half decade ago :shobon:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

superbelch posted:

I love that album and am sad they don’t seem to be making music together anymore :(

I shot them a message on bandcamp when I first moved to Texas and they introduced me to Not Half Bad and the texas punk scene and that helped me make so many friends :shobon:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Just record Point/Keasbey Nights/Counterpoint like they perform live, you cowards

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Lmao on the chris Gethard show too. That brings me back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
also with matt stewart dying i don't know how that affects the timeline