Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Angrybarrel posted:

Anyone want to throw me some punk bands with a female singer that aren't x, soviettes, joan jett, tat, or distillers

Discount and This Is My Fist are a couple of my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

RunTo TheHills posted:

So I dunno if it really fits here, but i just grabbed the Bars of Gold album, and holy poo poo. Close to album of the year, and definitely the best debut of the year. I really really encourage everyone to give it a listen.

Do you like birds? Do you like real real big birds? Do you like great big bir-er-erds? That's the biggest bird I've ever seen! Or is that a bird? Or just a real real big man? Just a great big ma-ah-an?

I do not know what drugs they were on. I do love it.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

King's Park. Holy gently caress. That is some powerful poo poo. I drive by that place regularly, and I know exactly what this is all about, but this truly makes it feel soul crushing beyond all reason.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

LtTennisBall posted:

yeah this album is awesome. what exactly is King Park about? (or, what is King Park).

Kings Park is about a real drive by that happened here a few years back. Martin Luther King Jr. Park on the corner of Franklin and Fuller, definitely the more ghetto side of town. It all went down pretty much as the song says, but that mostly makes it hit harder.

This album is extra awesome for me knowing all the places they're talking about.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Kinda out of the blue, a new House Boat record appeared:
http://johnwilkesboothrecs.storenvy.com/products/381935-house-boat-21st-century-breakroom-12

Waiting on my email with the mp3s.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Dickeye posted:

It's a mini-LP, two songs long. One of them is seven minutes, though.

Oh... Well, I guess I feel a little silly for ordering it, now. Oh well. v:shobon:v

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Is side B just blank? Because otherwise, how the hell does this even work on a 12" record?
that's what puzzles and slightly disappoints me. I got in on the limited color before it sold out, now I'm wondering just what the hell is coming in the mail.

The tracks are good as hell, for sure, I just wish I'd have known I was buying a 2 track 12 inch for 10 bucks before I did. That's expensive for music.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

The re-recorded version of On My Shield sounds sooo much better. Still wish I had gotten one of those 7" when I could, though :(

Also, echoing the love for Sadness Comes Home. It, Coral Blue and the title track are probably the real standouts for me. It's nice to hear that they've finally made Coral Blue that low-tempo song they've been looking for without sounding awkward/bringing in a guest vocalist.

This album loving rules. Can't wait for the LP to actually show up. I'm not usually too crazy with variants, but I'm dying to know what the death wish versions look like and which I ended up getting.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

No one has mentioned it, probably due to complete lack of surprise, but the new AFI album is the same tired poo poo they've been making since Decemberunderground. The first couple tracks gave me just the tiniest glimmer of hope before it was slashed away in to manic fits of laughter.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

I've been listening to a lot of female fronted punk lately. Not sure why, lots of Discount, This is my Fist and White Lung. Anything in that same vein ya'll can recommend?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

So my buddies decided to actually make a record, and it turned out pretty good for being a first time around. They've got a kind of weird folk-punk sound that's kinda like if Tiger Army took cues from classic Dead Kennedys. Check it out if ya want https://betonrats.bandcamp.com/album/easy-now

Gonna see if they'll gen me up a few codes for a free download or let me throw up a zip file or something.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Bear Vs Shark just announced a show in town here and I cannot loving wait. I thought I'd missed my chance to see those dudes.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

JawKnee posted:

that's not bad stuff, any other good female led punk folks recommend? I've got Dee dee and the Dishrags, old Tsunami Bomb, obviously the X-Ray Specs and a few others hanging around, but always interested in expanding into more stuff

This Is My Fist is an old favorite of mine

https://thisismyfist.bandcamp.com/album/a-history-of-rats

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Rooney McNibnug posted:

the new hosed Up album is.............. really drat good.

I really like that they got weird for the second half. On the last couple, I'd start tuning out toward the end of the record because all the songs ended up sounding kind of the same.

That sure as gently caress isn't a problem this time.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Thom and the Heads posted:

xpost from the indie thread:

p daddy kicks rear end - listen to p daddy

Thanks for posting, this is extremely my poo poo.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

AFI has two albums that I absolutely love, Black Sails in the Sunset & The Art of Drowning. Include the All Hallows EP in there, too. Those are insanely good. Everything before them is kinda meh and everything after is garbage. I saw them live in 2009 and even when they played older stuff it was... not good. Davey Havok had a lot of energy but it wasn’t well spent imo.

Sing the Sorrow still bangs IMO, but that might just be my inner emo teen nostalgia.

Everything since has felt like trying to recapture the magic/energy of Sing the Sorrow and failed more or less miserably.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Just found out that Gared O'Donnell of Planes Mistaken for Stars passed away yesterday. Though I can't say I'm the biggest fan of all their albums, I'm a huge, huge fan of their self titled EP.

Truly a bummer.

gently caress man, Hank and Gared in the same week. Both those guys were huge for me in my late teens. Up In Them Guts is an all timer for me.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

New Prince Daddy also rules. You can definitely tell Kory's singing lessons paid off in the long run, sounds much better without losing that rasp. Keep Up That Talk probably my fav on the record.

I got a good laugh checking out the Brave Faces Etc. release that popped up for Spanish Love Songs. They just took the record and made the songs all downtempo and sad sounding, which honestly kills so much of the vibe for me. Feels like the record nobody was asking them to make - there's something special about their brand of emo where it sounds so much like somebody trying to have fun but being too goddamned broken to let go of their pain that really makes it punch.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Rageaholic posted:

https://twitter.com/brooklynvegan/status/1620829935345762304

They aren't coming here on this tour but I'm listening to the new version of the album and it's pretty cool. It doesn't sound exactly like the original but it's awesome to hear that Dustin can more or less still cover a lot of this territory vocally after 20 years.

This album turning 20 makes me feel super old. I got into it right after it came out thanks to a friend's older brother and listened to it endlessly back then. It's wild to me that it's been 20 years since then.

I'm not usually big on this 're-record an old/beloved record' thing some older bands have been doing recently, but this is actually pretty good. Getting the Hot Water Music boys in on Blood Clots and Black Holes was a good decision.

gently caress man I remember pirating this record via IRC on dialup when it dropped in 2003.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Math You posted:

I've seen Thrice live a few times and this is pretty much how they play those songs in concert nowadays (sans any extensions/flair they might do live), which imo is a pretty great thing. Especially since they don't play a lot of that record regularly on tour.

On first listen The Melting Point of Wax and Don't Tell And We Won't Ask got the best treatment here.
In fact I never liked the album version of don't tell at all and was blown away when I heard it live the first time.

Anyway, should be a good taste of what you'll get from their anniversary tour which I am sure as poo poo going to. It's their first time back in Canada since COVID!

I only got to catch them once when they were playing with La Dispute. loving owned.

Unfortunately the venue they’re playing here in MI (The Crofoot) is an absolutely shithole that I’ll never go back to after how completely that venue ruined the Between the Buried and Me Colors 10th anniversary show. It’s a tiny little venue with two floors and a big square cut in the middle of the second floor. Means they can oversell the place by a good 200-300 people but anybody on the top floor is poo poo out of luck for actually seeing the show at all unless you’re right on the railing. Otherwise you get to look at the floor.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Schremp Howard posted:

drat I'd love to see D4.

Paint It Black have a new EP coming out in November and it's gonna loving rip. https://paintitblack.bandcamp.com/album/famine-2

Holy poo poo. Didn't think I'd see the day we got new PIB tunes at this point. I don't have words to express how excited I am for this.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

And just for fun when you’re done with that you can listen to the re-recorded version of Artist they just put out last year and see how far that growth really went. Ignore the guest spots, they’re mixed so weirdly they might as well not be there, but it still goes hard and sounds good. I honestly might like it more than the original recording.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

Dude went from Million Dead to making the blandest, most boring arena acoustic strumming garbage.

The latest single starts with these lyrics:
"Some people are just going to hate you,
No matter what you do.
So don't waste your time trying to change their minds –
Just be a better you."

From Carthago Est Delenda to Raffi b-sides.

I thought England Take My Bones was fun, and Mongol Horde Mingle Harde? was at least interesting. Every other thing he's put out solo just feels like the same loving record over and over and it got boring in like, 2015 and I stopped paying attention.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Got to see the last show of The Armed’s tour last night. Holy fuckin poo poo what a ride. Cara wasn’t there so they had the HIRS collective folks come out and do her parts for night city aliens and big shell, then closed with Liar and just went full berserk. Just the most wonderful chaos, without a doubt a show worth seeing every time.