Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I couldn't find anywhere better:

I went to Houston just to see Sunny Day Real Estate last night and came back tonight. They were awesome! They played 3 out of my 5 favorite songs (Seven, In Circles and 48), but no material from "The Rising Tide" (I don't know the goon opinion on this album because this is my first time posting in this thread, but it's a personal favorite of mine). They also played a new song, which was pretty decent but nothing special. I'm guessing that means they're writing material for a new release, but who knows.

Anyway, I'm really glad I got to see them on their reunion tour. If you get a chance to see them, take it!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This sounds like their old stuff but with higher production values and chilled out a bit. I dig it. I do hope other tracks on this new album are as fast and chaotic as some of the tracks on You're A Woman, I'm A Machine.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

But also these two:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHalAUHOrKc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1fECcM0cS4

Oh and this too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF28BO3N-_Q

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

suboptimal posted:

MetalSucks' readers picked Baby Metal to be the album of the year. Let's discuss the end of our collective faith in humanity.
Hahaha, I've never heard of MetalSucks before but BabyMetal owns so therefore MetalSucks does too :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I sawwwwww your ghoooooost tewniiiiiiiight

It fuckin' hurt like hell

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's weird to hear y'all talking about Pears because I've known most of those guys since I was in my mid-teens. It's weird but very, very cool. I'm glad they're seeing some success :) They deserve it!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was gonna see Title Fight at a weekend-long festival today, but earlier the festival got cancelled for today due to weather. So Title Fight are apparently a bunch of cool dudes and are playing a house show about 10 minutes away from where I live in about 2 hours and I'm gonna go. That should be rad, right?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Okay so that Title Fight house show was loving awesome. There was 200 people all crammed into this dude's living room. There was zero personal space, people were crowdsurfing past kitchen cabinets and the cops shut down the show after 20 minutes. It was way more punk rock than their set at the festival probably would have been anyway. I'm so glad I went :D

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I could so gently caress with a new AtDI album, if that's what this is. I thought we might get one of those a few years ago when they played that string of shows but then no new material came from that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A reminder of what Cedric was up to 2 years ago, more recently than the last Mars Volta record:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkd_CWhV_sE

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Pity Sex single "Burden You", and gently caress yeah, this is exactly what I wanted from them.

https://soundcloud.com/runforcoverrecords/02-ps-track-2-44k16b-rev3-20-15

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Uhhhhhhhh :stare:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GopherFlats posted:

So Thrice just released a song from their upcoming album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SecJsEelf3c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryNpy17cii4

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Listening to the new Pity Sex album for the first time now. It's good so far, but not as good as the last album.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm real conflicted about this new Thrice. I fell in love with them when I was 13 when TAITA came out, so that album and Vheissu really blew me away in my teens. I liked The Alchemy Index a lot too. Well, at least the first two volumes. Honestly, I don't think I listened to volumes 3 and 4 much at all. And I think I heard Beggars but didn't connect to it much. I don't think I even heard Major/Minor.

They almost feel like a completely different band now. I agree with this:

Brosnan posted:

It's giving me weird cognitive dissonance. The mix is overly clean for Thrice and sounds very radio nu-rockish in parts
There's a few songs on here that instantly click for me like old Thrice did, like The Window, Death From Above and Whistleblower. But the rest of it just sounds...I don't know, disposable?

Like there's glimpses of the band I fell in love with all those years ago on here, but I wish they allowed themselves to be as raw and hard as they used to be overall on this thing. I know they probably still could be because it's evidenced on here in sections, but it's like they're holding themselves back on a lot of it.

I'm probably just gonna listen to The Window over and over again, because gently caress, that song's my jam.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mollymauk posted:

Me first is on an American tour with Masked Intruder and Pears.
I saw Pears play a last minute secret show with Thou in a coffeehouse last week and it owned. There were probably a couple hundred people all crammed into a tight space together and everyone was getting tossed around.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm about to see mewithoutyou open for Circa on this 10th anniversary of On Letting Go tour and it just occurred to me that the last time I saw mewithoutyou was 10 years ago opening for Brand New and Thrice. Crazy!

Also I've only seen Circa once before, at a festival at like 11 in the morning, so that was a pretty weird setting to see them in and that was at least 6 or 7 years ago, so this should be dope :cool: On Letting Go is the album I was introduced to them with and it's always been my favorite of theirs.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 4, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Taking Back Sunday have put out like at least 3 or 4 albums since the last time I really followed them closely, and while I haven't heard them all the way through, snippets I have heard indicate that they're pretty far from the band I fell in love with when I was like 12.

While neither punk nor hardcore, the new American Football album was unexpectedly amazing and still gets regular listens from me, and there are bands like The Story So Far that kind of scratch the itch that old TBS used to, but it's definitely not the same scene it used to be.

But yeah, PEARS are loving great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Monday_ posted:

A new At the Drive-in album came out today. I only had a chance to listen to the first half, but it seems alright?
It's no Relationship of Command (then again, what is?) but it has a bunch of really great songs.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

We Know Catheters posted:

I don't if this thread fits or the hip hop one but, does anyone listen to Ho99o9? They just put out their full album, United States of Horror, and I can't get enough of it.
I listened to it once and it sounds like Death Grips but not as catchy I guess? Also I saw that they played a Gathering of the Juggalos, so I'm conflicted about supporting them if they're in any way associated with that scene.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Go see Pears in October because they're dope

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Boywhiz88 posted:

What should I check out to get into em?
Both their albums are up in full on YouTube! Both are short listens, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVMu-ZXUYSs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDvwOKsZchc

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The other day, Brand New announced their new album (Science Fiction) was coming out in October.

Then just a little while ago they released it for digital download.

:vince:

http://www.procrastinatemusictraitors.com/products/598731-brand-new-science-fiction

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's super weird because for a few seconds it'll sound like something from the 70s, then it'll sound like something from the modern day. You can obviously tell who they were influenced by on this one, but it's still distinctly them. It's almost like a prog post-hardcore album? Really throwing me for a loop but I'm digging it.

Although do not expect this to sound like I Am A Nightmare at all because it doesn't.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lelandjs posted:

Yeah, I was really surprised by the varieties of rock represented in the album. People on Reddit are like "It sounds like Nirvana/The Smiths/Led Zeppelin/REM/Simon And Garfunkel!" and they're ALL right.

The one thing it doesn't sound like, though? Your Favorite Weapon. Which I am totally okay with.
I Am A Nightmare sounded a ton like YFW and that was the last thing they released before this, so I expected the new album to sound more like that. Like old Brand New.

It...uhh...definitely doesn't...

It's probably their most experimental album yet. I had to replay it from the beginning after I finished listening to it the first time, which rarely happens with albums for me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Absolutely. I listened to Devil and God in full again last year on the 10 year anniversary and that album still holds up really drat well. There isn't a single bad/boring song on the entire thing. It's one of those perfect albums in my mind.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lelandjs posted:

So the crazies on Reddit are already starting to convince themselves that Science Fiction isn't actually the last Brand New album, they're B-sides, and that the physical release will have the REAL last album. :laffo:
If these are b-sides, they're the most impressive loving b-sides I've ever heard :roflolmao:

That's not happening, though. Reddit said the same thing about Metal Gear Solid V not being the REAL Metal Gear Solid 5 and the REAL one dropping later and that never happened lol

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They're also playing a festival I'm going to in October, so they're not completely broken up yet I guess?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Apparently this local booking agency is giving out free tickets to a Joyce Manor / Wavves show tonight if you RSVP by a certain time, which I did, so that'll be dope! I saw Wavves last year with Best Coast and Cherry Glazerr and they were rad.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh I forgot to post about it but I saw Brand New at a festival Saturday night and they were loving excellent. I'd only seen them once before in 2007, and while I don't remember much of that show in general, I don't remember it being particularly impressive. This time was, though. They played a bunch of Science Fiction stuff which all sounds fantastic live, as well as some old favorites. I'm still sad they're breaking up next year, but I'm real thankful that I got to see them one last time before they do.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I went to the show and it was dope. It was the first day Culture Abuse had joined them on the tour and they had just put out this song with Culture Abuse that day too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di8Yk-HH3Vw

Wavves came out in Halloween costumes. Nathan was the grim reaper, Stephen was a baby in a diaper with a rattler and a baby bottle, Brian was in this BDSM gimp suit and I forget what Alex was. Nathan and Stephen had this running gag where Nathan kept trying to get the baby (Stephen) drunk. It was hilarious.

The setlist isn't on setlist.fm, but they played a lot of stuff I wanted to hear. I have no complaints about a free show that ruled :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bust Rodd posted:

THROW JESSE ON THE loving PILE, I GUESS

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thefader.com/2017/11/11/brand-new-jesse-lacey-sexual-misconduct-accusation/amp

No statement from the band yet that I can see, accusation is barely a day old.
Jesse put out a statement, and although I'm glad he said he was sorry because Louis CK sure as gently caress didn't, he didn't really directly address what he was accused of. He was just like "I have problems and I worked on them and sorry for hurting people." in general.

https://www.facebook.com/BrandNew/posts/10155923794753023

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 12, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Inspector_666 posted:

Goddammit it's so loving easy to not sexually assault people.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw Thou a few nights ago..............opening for Boris

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've never been to Warped Tour personally, but has it even been worth going to in the past decade? I haven't heard anyone say anything good about it in a long time.

I know they announced a date here last year (I think it was last year) at our minor league baseball stadium that's completely out of the way from downtown/anything touristy and where no other major concerts are held, so if that doesn't scream washed up, I don't know what does. It ended up getting cancelled, too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Personally I can't wait to hear how hilarious the Eminem feat. Green Day track is on Em's next album. Given the features on this one, it's entirely possible.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Hard Times has the real Quincy Jones interview everyone wanted!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I still listen to The Used's self titled somewhat often and it still loving owns :colbert:

Their newest album, though...lol. I don't know why they're still trying when they peaked 15 years ago.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A Day To Remember played a festival I was at tonight lol. I didn't see them, though. I was never into them, but my friends who are who went and saw them said they were awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1002333930845097985

Yikes :cripes: