Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Any rumours of a 5th gen Touch? I'm starting to get a bit annoyed by my 3rd gen slowness at times. And I don't even have retina screen.

Be nice if it was larger screen like the rumoured iPhone 5.

Macrumors posted a few rumors about one with the taller screen like the new iPhone. I'm on the fence about whether the rumors are enough to tempt me to sell my six month old 4th gen iPod Touch in anticipation of the new model in September or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Nihiliste posted:

Oh yeah, I know what you mean - I'm in the same scenario. Got a fourth-gen Touch and an iPad 3, here.

I'm actually pretty happy with my 4th gen iPod Touch, posting from it now. Only thing that has me even considering upgrading is the possible changing screen dimensions on the iPhone/5th gen iPod Touch. Right now I'm leaning towards waiting another year for more apps to take advantage of the extra screen real estate.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Nihiliste posted:

Well hey, no sense rushing into new tech when it's an iPod. As long as it can play music and run a few other other apps you like, why not wait?

I don't really use mine for music as much as a wifi only iPhone, but yeah, waiting seems like a good idea.

...at least til the keynote gets me all "oh god I must own it".

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

JazzFlight posted:

Welp, I'm a bit disappointed that the storage didn't get bumped to 128gb and that we're getting the A5 processor instead of the A6, but other than that, I'm definitely upgrading my frustatingly-crashy/slow 4th gen iPod Touch to the new model.

Everyone on the Internet seems to think the iPod Touch doesn't have any market, but I'm not interested in an expensive 2-year phone contract, so I want an iOS device to go with my cheap-rear end android pay-as-you-go phone. I don't mind paying $399 for the highest model, since it works out to be cheaper than the couple thousand you're paying for the iPhone over two years.

Here's hoping the RAM is at least 1gb in these things or else I'll be pissed.

I'm pretty pleased with the update. Increased battery life, the new display, a processor bump even if it's not the A6 and a better camera is pretty nice. The lack of change on the low end is even better as it should help prop up the resale value of my 32gb 4th gen. If I can get $150+ back on it the upgrade works out pretty cheap.

Oh yeah, it's thinner and lighter than the enormous boat anchor that is the iPhone. :smug:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I'm still not sold on Siri (talking to my electronics feels kinda weird) but it's certainly a nice bonus. I'm looking forward to digging into the iOS6 upgrade almost as much as the new hardware.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

JazzFlight posted:

Alright, I put in an order for a silver one and a blue one. I figure I'll cancel one of the orders over the next week once I finally come to a decision between the colors.

What's everyone's favorite choice for color? (I don't think anyone's going to be going for that gross green/yellow/gold shade)

If the blue came with a black face plate option I'd probably have gone with that. I'll likely just get the black one though.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

doctorfrog posted:

I think I could pull off that green pretty well. Just got this Touch 4 months ago, though, so I'll be waiting some time for a new one. At least the Nano is back to looking like something worth having in a pocket.

e: ha ha holy smokes the Touch 5 starts at $300.

The $299 starting price is great for resale value on 4th gen ones. Would be a lot tougher to sell an 8gb or 32gb if a 5th gen 16gb was available for $199.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

doctorfrog posted:

'ha ha holy smokes' wasn't in derision, it was just in honest disappointment. I'm definitely not knocking the logic behind their pricing, as it is based on what people will pony up for it, it's just way outside what I can part with for one, given that I just bought one less than six months ago. I'll wait a bit.

I totally get that, I bought my 32gb in the spring. Being able to get back roughly $200 of the $300 I paid for it then upgrade for an extra $100 is enough to temp me. If a 5th gen $199 came out I'd probably have had to settle for $150ish on the 32gb 4th and would have waited.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I'm just glad I've been lazy about selling off my 4th gen. Going without for this long would have driven me crazy.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Fruits of the sea posted:

Thanks that was really helpful. The mini-tablet aspect is appealing to me, especially since Canada's options for smart-phone contracts are beyond terrible (seriously, it's like the entire country has Stockholm syndrome or something). I'm ok with being dependent on wi-fi in those circumstances.

That's how I use my iPod Touch in BC, it's essentially a wifi iPhone that you don't have to deal with Telus/Rogers to get.

I'd highly recommend spending the couple extra bucks to get the 32gb 5th gen and not the cheap $199 4th they're still selling. I believe the 4th gen has less RAM than the 4th gen iPhones had and it causes all sorts of crashing issues with games. The 5th gen iPod Touch got the screen size increase, processor bump and double the RAM.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Mooktastical posted:

I have a 3rd gen, and the lower memory just means you have to kill background tasks more often; it's hardly a dealbrealer.

Even with all background tasks killed a number of titles have crashing issues on a 4th gen. Guardian Cross is probably the worst offender in recent memory, He-Man has issues, several other games too.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Darth Ronson posted:

A second hand 30gb iPod Classic for £40.00. Granted, the battery may hold less charge, but I can get a battery off ebay and replace it. But are ebay batteries as good as the original ones?

I'm pretty happy with my iPod Touch (posting this from it right now) but if you're going to consider this route maybe you want to consider a cheap MP3 player like a Sansa Clip with a MicroSD slot. They're like $30 for a 16gb and adding a 16gb MicroSD card is pretty cheap. If I was looking for an inexpensive pure music player I'd go that route, if you want to play games/use the Awful app/etc look at an iPod Touch.

Of course rumours are floating around out there that the $199 4th gen will finally be replaced by a low end $199 5th gen soon. Might be worth waiting till Apple does their next batch of device releases to see if you could get that.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

sdfvnre posted:

Any idea how soon this is likely to be? I'm going to buy an ipod soon, $200 is my budget, and I'd really like to have a 5th gen rather than a 4th gen. Are the $250 refurbs going to be my best bet for a while?

Nothing even remotely solid that I've seen, just a persistent rumor that makes sense. Could be whenever the next batch of Apple devices is released, could be Christmas, could be longer. My inclination would be to see what Apple announces for the summer and go from there.

If the refurb 32gb ones are only $250 I'd be awfully tempted to splurge on that though. Keep in mind the current 4th gen $199 models are a mere 8gb. For fifty bucks that's a pretty big bump in storage capacity.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Wow. Out of nowhere Apple released a 16gb 5th Gen iPod Touch without the rear camera for $229. Pretty nice. Too bad they couldn't hit the 4th gen $199 price point though.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/30/apple-launches-new-16-gb-ipod-touch-with-no-rear-camera-for-229/

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Mark Larson posted:

I hope this isn't a dead thread... anyway, I've been thinking of getting into the iOS scene but an iPhone 5 is too expensive. Is there a case for the iPod touch that can take a SIM card and provide data functionality over wifi or through the dock Lightning® connector? If that case would also have GPS and a battery it would be perfect.

EDIT: Something not huge would be great.

I don't know hardly anything about them, but I know some cellular providers offer a personal mobile wifi hub you could stuff in your bag and access with your iPod/any other wifi-only devices you have. Of course that means a cellular data plan, but it's a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

1st AD posted:

Like a dummy I decided to buy a launch day iPhone 5s with the smallest storage available and this bit me on the rear end on a recent road trip where I spent hours without a decent LTE connection. Should I pick up a 64gb refurb iPod touch or just suck it up and buy a 64/128gb iPhone 6?

Do you ever get important calls? I considered the iPhone plus iPod Touch combo but I work on call and it's important to me that the phone pause my music when I get an incoming call. You could stick the phone on vibrate, pause the iPod and scramble to switch headphone jacks in time but that seems like a pain in the rear end.

Not a factor that will make the decision for you, but a small annoyance worth noting.

• Locked thread