Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoG
Jul 13, 2004

jackpot posted:

I figured all of it out, I didn't notice that itunes is a pain in the rear end sometimes with its syncing. I had turned off one of the syncing options so it turned all of them off, then when I tried to turn them back on it gave me scary messages about how it was going to remove all my songs and then drive itself back to the store or something. Once I hit all the checkboxes in the right order it was fine and the books got moved over and into iBooks.

As an aside, I just came from a 5G Classic that had an Invisible Shield on it front and back. So I guess I never noticed until now just how loving awful it is to put a polished silver back on something like this. Why do they still do it? I've only had this thing for a week and I've babied it, but the back is a scratched up mess.
The invisible shield on my 1g nano held up for ~3 years, before I had to pull it off to change the battery, and that nano promptly scratched to poo poo.

I just got a new touch, too, so a shield was on it day one. Check out protech -- 11.99 shipped (full body) on their ebay store, including free lifetime replacements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

PlasticPaddy posted:

A dumb question but the used Touch I bought still has the previous user logged into iTunes. How do I log out of his and into mine?

On the main page (music tab), scroll waaaaay down to the bottom, click the 'Account: ___' box.

I'd do a factory restore in itunes if I bought a used touch.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

blue squares posted:

I have a TON of music videos all in MP4 format that I can put in my iTunes library but they won't sync to my touch no matter what I do. Will jailbreaking my ipod make it easier to put and play videos on my touch? If so, is there a good guide to jailbreaking I can be linked to, because I couldn't follow the OP.

If you do end up jailbreaking, you can also just install AVPlayer and watch video in any format you like.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Cynode posted:

I got my wife a new 8gb Nano touch last week, and she has some audiobooks in MP3 format, I googled how to format them for audiobooks in itunes, converted them to .m4b, imported them into itunes, and everything seems to be good, I see the proper books, with the right cover art, and the chapters in the correct order (under the Books section in itunes).

Now when I import them to her ipod they seem to import fine, but when you choose the audiobooks on the ipod they are all lumped together and when you play them they will play: chapter 1 book 1, chapter 1 book 2, chapter 1 book 3, chapter 2 book 1, chapter 2 book 2, etc... instead of chapter 1, 2, 3, 4 book 1.

Is there something wrong with my conversion, the way I'm importing them, or something else?

Also I'm thinking of getting an ipod classic for me, does it work the same way with podcasts, audiobooks, etc?
I don't think you need to do any of that m4b nonsense as of a few versions of itunes ago. Try just throwing them in the library, then going into properties (or 'get info' or whatever it's called) and setting media type to 'audiobook'.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Skrewd posted:

I purchased an app earlier when I was at work, and go home to upload it onto my IPT when I find out that the app only works on OS 4.0. The problem? I'm still using my 1st gen from years ago without a problem. What is the best solution to this? Would jailbreaking work at all?

(If you're wondering, it was the MLB AtBat 2011 app. Yes, I love the baseball.)

nope, not really. Barring some insane porting project I'm unaware of, there's no way to install ios4 on a 1g. There are plenty of (successful) moves to bring ios4 features to an ios3 base, but that won't allow one to run ios4-only apps.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Parachute Underwear posted:

Yeah, I get that, I was just wondering if there was a reason (such as the way it's programmed) they use such an inefficient method of patching.
Bandwidth is far cheaper than tech support.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

SanitysEdge posted:

Do iPhone cases even work with iPods?
Depends on the case. Iphones are a little bigger (especially in thickness).

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Lord of Laughton posted:

Alright, I have an iPod classic (non touch) but since there's no thread for those I figured I'd ask here.

I plugged my iPod into cable here at work so it could charge, but I didn't realize it was plugged into a PC, so it went through the whole eject before disconnecting thing and is now stuck at that screen. Now this PC doesn't have a monitor (don't ask why, I have no idea either). Short of getting a monitor to this station and safely removing hardware, is there a way to initiate an eject on the iPod itself?
I would just unplug it. The only way anything will be hosed up is if that computer is actively writing data to the ipod and an incomplete write operation corrupts the file system, but that computer is presumably not doing that.

edit: Even apple says, if you can hear that the hard drive isn't spinning, go ahead and unplug it.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

They still sell Nanos.
Nanos are touch screen.

Only the shuffle's non-touch. Classics are gone now. Pick up a classic, fast, or a second-hand 5g nano.

(Even better, tell your friend to adapt or gently caress off. I've seen people with pretty long nails use smartphones.)

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
You guys know you can also download the ipsw (700+mb update file) manually, then hold shift (or option) while clicking upgrade or restore, and point it to the locally saved file? I just upgraded mine last night (from 4.1, even) much more easily than expected. Backup the old system, shift-restore to the new os, then the first step in setup will let you restore your settings from that backup (everything from saved wifi networks to home screen folders, for me). Other than the first sync taking a while to copy the whole music library, it couldn't have been faster.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I think the iPod classic has something like 20 minute skip protection.

drat, that's even better than my ESP+ discman.

I'm in the same boat with frustration with ios5. I disabled genius, but seemingly everything podcast related is hosed up (itunes mobile is slow as hell, half of the downloads have the dates stripped, and syncing doesn't remove played episodes).

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Pertplus posted:

I just bought an iPod Touch 4g and was looking for a silicone case similar to the one I had for my 3g (see left img below) where the case covers the whole bottom and top front area instead of just a small area all around (see right img below) but I can't find any for the 4g. Anyone know if/where there is a simple, non-clunky 4g case like the image on the left?
Take your pick. I picked up the armband 4-pack last year for mine, and the cases look exactly like your example (with one extra cutout for the rear camera).

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Ninja Toast! posted:

Switch audio converter does it, (can find on download.com) but some of the features go away after a certain period and it seems that .ogg conversions are one of them. It might work if you just want to do everything at once though.

Forget any shareware crap, there are plenty of free encoding tools out there. Something like LameXP should be straightforward enough.

If you're using itunes, installing the xiph quicktime components (as per here) may let you add .oggs directly to the library, then the built-in aac encoder will let you throw them on the ipod.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Dodecalypse posted:

Google hasn't been too helpful, but a few weeks back my ipod 4G (which I've had for a little less than 1.5 years) fell off of my counter top without its protecting case and the screen is pretty cracked. Here's a low quality picture. Yes, I am an idiot but it still works fine. Touchscreen, camera, and all other functions are completely unharmed.

Is there anyway apple will replace the screen? I'm not really able to spend a lot of money on a new ipod or anything and I tend to use it frequently. I'm also heading up to visit my parents this weekend and they live by an Apple store. If I bring it to a store can they replace it there?

You can take it into the genius bar and give it a shot, but given that it's out of warranty and abuse anyway, they may just offer a full price repair and/or discount replacement. Anything more is at their discretion.

I managed to crack the glass on my touch4g a few weeks ago, too (less severely than that); likewise, fully functional. Since I've got over a year left on my squaretrade coverage, though, I'm just going to live with the cosmetic damage for a while.

Quick note, in case you're looking at repair guides -- on the 4th gen, the lcd, digitizer, and glass are all glued together as a single unit, so don't go for any cheap glass-only kits.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

henpod posted:

I wish they would release another classic. I prefer the clickwheel, because I can adjust volume and tracks by just putting my hand in my pocket without taking the iPod out and poking around the touchscreen.

I can hit the volume buttons on my touch from outside my pocket.

Playback controls, though, yeah, it's headphones with an in-line remote or you're SOL.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Nut Bunnies posted:

Note that this will delete the music on your iPod and you'll have to add it all again.
I'm pretty sure it will ask you before doing this, but that was when I plugged mine into a second computer to manually drop on music, so I can't guarantee it.

You could also leave it on sync with the 'sync only checked songs' option set (this might be enabled by default, I don't recall), and just uncheck everything.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Jack_tripper posted:

those are made for people with 2 left ears

What would be hilarious is if they're actually both wired to the left channel of the plug.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

CatchrNdRy posted:

I wish to retain control of my ipod when I connect it to a receiver. I don't like the receiver's terribly abbreviated lists and wonky controls.

Is that option in the ipod or at the receiver?

It depends on the receiver/accessory whether it 'takes over' the ipod or not, so it'll vary greatly by device. Eg, we've got a car stereo with a usb port, and there's an option buried in the settings for active vs passive ipod modes. The other car's ipod adapter always takes it over (though it can be quasi-bypassed if you're running Podcasts instead of Music when you plug it in).

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Reive posted:

Is there a decent program that allows you to change the tags of songs already on an iPod?
I know you can technically do it with iTunes itself, but it also changes the tags of the same songs in the library, which is a travesty if you need to make some quick changes to make albums sort correctly, or a thing I like to do is put a couple dozen single songs under 'misc' artist to clear up space on the artist tab for ones I actually have multiple albums for.

Winamp with ml_ipod used to be my go to, but it can't detect a 5th gen Touch (unless it can and I hosed something up)

Mediamonkey? I haven't used it, but it's certainly popular. It might be a better long-term solution to dick around in itunes with the artist vs album artist vs sort artist tags to try to accomplish whatever it is you're looking for.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

doctor thodt posted:

Why would certain artists/albums not appear under artist view? I'm using a 5th gen touch.

For example, when I navigate to Music > Artists > Gucci Mane, all of his albums appear except one, even though the album is definitely on my iPod and does appear in album view. Similarly, UGK doesn't appear under artists at all, even though all three albums I have for them appear in album view.

Everything appears to be tagged correctly.

You're sure they don't have a different 'album artist' or anything set?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Nihiliste posted:

Hmm. I would say you could use an FM transmitter, or even a cassette adapter, but those typically don't work with a Shuffle to my knowledge. The Shuffle is really meant for exercise or just casually walking around.

Wait, why would standard 3.5mm jack devices like fm or cassette adapters not work? The shuffle doesn't use magic headphones...

Cowslips, I'm not sure what you're "feeling pretty drat stupid" about -- does your car have an ipod dock connector, and you just realized the shuffle doesn't have that? Or is it just the lack of aux-in altogether (in which case, why ask so specifically about the shuffle)? Either way, I'll bet you can find information about your car stereo online much faster than you can rip your dash apart to check (where an aux in might be hidden/unidentifiable in a proprietary accessory plug, anyway).

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

I feel stupid for listening to the Apple sales guy when he said 'no problem!' for using the shuffle in the car. Also, the stereo in my car isn't what came from the factory, and I can't find any paperwork about the system or even the drat thing's name.

I tried the fm adapter (I don't have a cassette deck) and the static is terrible; the few times I could get anything to play, the speakers had to be at the highest to get any sound period.
Well, at least the brand should be obvious, but if it doesn't have the model # in tiny print somewhere on the front, and it's aftermarket, yeah, you might have to pull it to ID the model.

Indeed, fm transmitters are compatible with the shuffle, but that certainly doesn't mean they don't suck (some distinctly moreso than others). If you're SOL on the aux in, there are hardwired fm transmitters that plug directly into the radio's antenna jack (with the antenna then plugging in through that), which are marginally better than the wireless ones, but some hassle to install. (And once you're considering buying new adapter hardware, and your radio's already aftermarket anyway, you might as well spend the little extra to get a headunit with aux.)

First priority has to be finding out if you have aux in, though. If it's the easy kind that only needs a dual-rca-to-3.5mm cable, you'd probably see an aux mode already on the radio, or the option somewhere in the settings to enable/disable aux mode.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

That's the weird thing, mode goes from radio to AUX to [CD, let's presume]
Oh, well then mystery solved -- of course there's an aux in. (That rarely means an 1/8" jack on the faceplate, mind you.)
You'll have to get a look at the back, either by pulling the radio, or possibly peeking with a flashlight from the passenger footwell. If you're lucky, there will be red and white RCA jacks*, and you just need a $3 rca-to-1/8" adapter cable.

*make sure these are aux inputs, not pre-amp audio outputs, which would be those same plugs. If these exist, there'd be 2-3 pairs of them.

If you're unlucky, the back of the radio will be nothing but proprietary multi-pin connectors, and you'll need to find the right oem aux cable on ebay.

Given that it's an aftermarket unit, and--from the sounds of it--kind of a cheap one, the odds probably lean toward rca jacks.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Sure. If we've exhausted the amount of effort you're willing to expend, hot-gluing some computer speakers to your dashboard is a way to go.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Superhaus posted:

I just bought a song off iTunes. It shows up in my library but is nowhere to be found on the list when I try to sync it to my iPod. I cannot find it by artist or album name. Any suggestions?

Is it 'checked' in your itunes library?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Quinctia posted:

There are quite a few of the 8gb 6th gen nanos floating around, because folks were able to return 1st gen nanos under a recall, and that's what got sent back to them. So you could pick up a used 6th gen nano pretty cheaply....
loving hell, thank you so much for this. I've had a launch 1g nano gathering dust in my closet for years, and sure enough...

quote:

Thank you.

Your request has been submitted.

Apple will send you a box with shipping instructions to mail your iPod nano to us. Apple will then send you a replacement iPod.

I've actually been thinking about downgrading from my 4g touch* to a new nano, since it's essentially just a podcast player at this point, and the nano would be better for running.

(*pending whether a squaretrade claim for its cracked screen, flaky dock, and finicky home button netted a fixed ipod or a check)

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

pupdive posted:

I have an old hard drive based iPod with a dead battery. What's the thing to do with it?

My sleep over friend has her touch set up so that new email shows on the screen even before it is unlocked. Mine cannot. Is there a particular version of the touch where this became possible? Or is this a iOS version thing?
Those alerts are part of the notification center, which came out in ios5. Settings -> Notifications, then under each applicable app, you can enable 'view in lock screen'.

For the dead battery, replace it? Even if it's not "user-replaceable", I'm sure you can find breakdown instructions online, buy a battery on ebay, and solder two wires. I did my nano 1g a few years ago, and it was fairly easy.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

I think the ipod only sees podcasts in the podcasts app or folder. They don't show in regular playlists

He said it was an iPod classic, so no ios.

Sorry, I can't help. I have a nano, but on the rare occasion I use a playlist (on-the-go, from time to time), it works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Wilford Cutlery posted:

drat. Is there any workaround, or alternative to iTunes?

Technically, yes, but practically, no. A touch 2g's old enough that some third-party software will access it, but probably only with some drivers and services that are installed with itunes in the first place.

• Locked thread