Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I recently lost my 1G Touch and bought a new 3G Touch. It's really great, but for some reason every so often it'll start playing music while in sleep mode. Is this a known bug? I think it may have to do with receiving IMs in the AIM app, but I'm not 100% sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah apparently the 1G and 2G can support it just fine. I'm guessing they just want people to upgrade.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Before I lost it, I had my Touch for 2 years. I never had more than a few insignificant scratches on the screen. Don't bother with a protector.

Hell I'd say don't bother with a case, either, unless you're very spergy about the millions of scratches you will get on the back.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

sirbeefalot posted:

As the likelihood of iPhone 4 coming to Sprint is approximately, uh, zero, I am eagerly awaiting the iPod Touch 4. :D

Every single time I use my 1st gen anymore, I run into a situation where I want to adjust the volume, and it always ends up being cumbersome as hell. Can't wait to have physical, dedicated buttons for that.

I wanted to loving STRANGLE someone when trying to adjust the volume on the 1G Touch. I think it was OS 2.0 that added this fantastic bug that STILL EXISTS where if you have your finger on the volume bar and it goes into cover flow, THE VOLUME GOES TO 0

HOW IS THIS NOT FIXED?! Why can't you turn cover flow off?!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
My update went fairly smoothly, but I've had a couple in the past that were a complete nightmare.

As for iOS4...eh. It's a bit snappier. The new Album page layout looks nice, as do the new dock and wallpapers. But outside of the iPod app it's still unbelievably boring looking and they'll probably never change that. Plus notifications are still fantastically lovely. It Just Works, though, I guess.

In addition, I forgot that they were taking out the double tap home -> portable music player that you could do in any app (which I used A LOT) for the stupid multitasking bar. Guess that's what happens when you only have one button.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
If the MLB At Bat app weren't complete poo poo, I'd be THRILLED with that. I would use it at school, and since the VPN would die when it went into sleep mode, I'd have to keep the screen on.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Astro7x posted:

At Bat is amazing if you live outside your fave teams blackout zone, otherwise it's pretty pointless. If I wanted to listen to the radio broadcast I'd use my radio for free.

I don't have access to a radio, but it is pointless when it's 2 minutes behind what is actually happening.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Pictures of an iPod Touch with a camera have already leaked so

I'm guessing it'll have the same curved shell but will also have that screen fused LCD poo poo or whatever

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Owsla posted:

I have a first gen touch I want to sell to someone at my job and I'd like to restore it to factory settings first.

The last time I updated the firmware on it everything seemed to slow down, switching from portrait to landscape lags like crazy now etc, is there is a preferred firmware for the first gen? Can I just install the latest version and have it run smoothly again?

That happened when I upgraded to OS 2.0. Try reinstalling.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

toxick posted:

An iPad-like contract free 3G plan would be cool too, but that's really unlikely :/

AT&T's new godawful plans pretty much make it a waste of money unless you just use it to go on Facebook and check email once a week like people in the iPhone thread.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ninja Toast! posted:

I think 1 hr of standard def netflix is 1 gb, hd is around 3. You'd probably kill it in a couple days unless they make some different kind of resolution.

I would have probably got one until they did that, completely killed any reason for me to want an iphone on top of the touch.

Way to lose customers, ATT.

Allegedly 98% of iPhone users use their phones like they are touchscreen dumbphones. People are just amazingly stupid. Think how much they've been overpaying so they can have a fashion accessory to check email and Facebook once a day.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I may have posted it previously itt, but when I replaced my lost 1G Touch with a 3G Touch, the battery was noticeably shittier. I thought that kind of stuff was supposed to improve with new iterations.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I still think they should have added "Turn Coverflow off." Portrait Lock is a nice band-aid, but I hate it when I've been listening to music for awhile, then go into Safari, turn my iPod on its side and...nothing.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jet Ready Go posted:

My playcount for some of my songs is impossibly high.. the total amount of minutes I've listened to my top 10 songs exceeds the amount of time humanly possible to have listened to said songs.

Of the 3 months or so I've owned a Touch, I've listened to my top 10 songs for over a solid MONTH 24 hours a day 7 days a week.. it's a funny glitch, but does anyone know what caused it?

This doesn't worry me a lot, I'm just amused by it.

When I scrobbled with last.fm it said I listened to some songs 500 times in an hour.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
iPad Mini I can totally buy, iPhone 5 in January is bullshit.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I figured Apple would go with like, a 3MP camera for the rear. Not even 1MP is pretty :psypop:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think next year they'll probably have to redo the Nano again. It's too tiny and they took away too many features, imo. If they just made the old Nano with a touchscreen it'd be great.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Why is "ask before deleting" off by loving default? I was about to forward a really important email, and I accidentally pressed delete instead of the reply button. To make things worse, it just loving skips the Trash bin in GMail. Really a loving winner of a system they've got there.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is downloading purchased music on the ITMS app buggy for anyone else? Some songs download, but most go to the grey "Downloaded" icon and don't download.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
So iOS 5 has some funny bugs

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Mine actually was fixed with a reboot, although I imagine ymmv

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

mistressminako posted:

I bought a new Touch 4th generation yesterday following the well-deserved death of my Creative Zen. As has probably been mentioned before, Zens are/were absolute bricks when it came to dropping them (and by the end mine had several chips in the plastic from falling onto bare concrete), and in contrast the Touch looks really thin and breakable. I've been told the Otterbox cases are best when it comes to protecting from accidental falls, but I'm not quite sure which of the three versions would fit me best. Does anyone have any information and/or photos they would be willing to share?

I have been using Touches without cases for 3 years now. The one time it did break was because a cousin of mine slammed it. They're very, very durable. You really have the beat the poo poo out of it to break it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The thinness and lightness really work in its favor. It's very sturdy and there isn't much weight to crash down. An iPhone is thicker and heavier.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Siri is fantastic if only for the reminder, calendar, and alarm control.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

TrixR4kids posted:

Is there software that lets you copy songs and files TO your ipod? Normally the problem is getting things off of it but with the stupid update (from like a year ago) you can only sync the entire library to your ipod and not just add individual songs. Problem is it doesn't recognize a few songs or something because I have albums that only have like half the songs.

Here's your problem, most likely.

Go to the main screen of your Touch in iTunes and scroll down. Make sure this is checked:

Note that this will delete the music on your iPod and you'll have to add it all again.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Call Now posted:

Apple is changing the plugs on all iProducts to Lightning, does it mean there's a chance for an 8G Classic to appear?

I mean, MAYBE, but all they would do is just change the connector.

I played with the new iPods today at the Apple Store, and they're AMAZING. I like the hardware more than the iPhone 5's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'd be surprised if they refresh them at all for the next year and a half. They sell so relatively little (and shrinking) that they only really exist as iPhones with training wheels for kids.

• Locked thread