Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

I've been working on a side project for some time now, a simple tile engine developed in Actionscript 3 using the Flex framework. It started as a distraction from work, but I have since been looking for alternative languages because AS3 is (obviously) extremely limiting.

I'm not trying to do anything too crazy, just simple 2D stuff (similar to the likes of Cave Story but not to that standard.) I looked around on the web and it seems Python is a good start (since I am a mac user) but I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Twiggy794 posted:

Even though you've probably burnt yourself out on AS3 while using Flex, you can do some pretty powerful things with AS3 if you use Flash. I write Flash/Flex children's software at work right now, and we've managed to do some semi-3D tile based stuff using Flash as our client frontend. We stuck with Flex for administrative tasks though.

I actually have no idea why I typed Flex because I primarily used the Flash IDE. Out of interest, do you have any projects you can show me? My tile engines always seem sluggish but I am more than willing to admit it's probably because I code them badly.
(Although the last project only used two movieclips, the rest was all copypixels!)

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Is there a XNA alternative for mac development? I'm really into making simple 2d games and have been dabbling in AS3 and Python, but I'm looking for something a little more powerful.

I'd also prefer something which could be used on both Mac and Windows after being compiled.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

My only real gripe with using Java is that performance is always going to be an issue and I'm not the most advanced coder in the world. It seems that Java / Flash / Python are my only real option for Mac development though.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

When I say 2D game, I mean everything will be sprite / pixel based. I assume Unity is not good for things like that.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Thanks guys, sorry for the lack of specifics in my question. I'll give pyGame a try.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

I was just wondering if anyone could spread some light onto Unity for me. Costing aside, I was really blown away by what they were able to create inside a browser at reasonable download speeds. The engine supports multi-platform deployment, physics and all kinds of amazing stuff. That said however, I haven't come across a single site which uses the unity web player or even seen any indie projects which utilize the engine.

I was wondering if someone help shed some light onto why no one has really adopted it yet, or is it literally because it's so darn expensive?

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Tolan posted:

Can only speak from my own experience, but:

a) it's closed-source
b) it's expensive
c) you can only do Mac and web-based deployments unless you spring for the Pro (I *think* that's what it's called) license (which is even MORE expensive)
d) apparently there's some issues with source control on the objects it generates, so that you have to use their source control product or go through some hoops
e) development environment is Mac-only
f) networking support is there but feels incomplete for some reason

That said, it's generally a pretty polished development environment and if it wasn't $1450 I'd certainly consider it for game development.

(Compare with, say, Torque, which while not looking as quite as polished, is only $300 and comes with complete source, or the C4 engine which is $350 and also comes with source.)

Thanks a lot for this detailed response Tolan. It does seem that the major issue is with the price. (I am Mac based, so no problems there. Source control doesn't really phase me that much either.)

It's certainly worth downloading the trial version at least I suppose, thanks again for you reply!

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

So, Unity3D indie is free now. I've been using it a lot as of late and I definitely recommend checking it out. Has anyone managed to make anything cool with it yet?

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

I've been trying to put together some kind of action based platformer for a while now, and I'm really stuck as to which engine I should use.

It started out as a flixel project, but Flash really can't handle the kind of things I want to do. After that, I tried out pygame and some of the libraries associated with 2d gaming. It's nice but I ran into the same performance problems I encountered with Flash. As the game progresses, I'm very keen to start using high res backgrounds so I definitely need an engine with a little more grunt.

I've tried Torque2d, which is terrible, as well as attempting to modify Unity which isn't really engineered with 2D games in mind (it's annoying having to model 3d objects for a simple platform.)

It seems to me the only real way to get the performance I want is to either build something for scratch. Does anyone know of any other engines out there I could try? XNA is probably right for what I need, but I'd like the game to be multi-platform if possible. I don't mind learning a new language if there is a particular framework out there which people can recommend.

Hanpan fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 19, 2010

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Scaevolus posted:

Have a look at Pyglet & Rabbyt.

Isn't Python similar to Flash in regards to performance? I'd really like get some parallax scrolling on the go and all sorts.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Evil Trout posted:

Did you find that Flixel couldn't handle parallax scrolling? I'm using it for a small project and I have 4-5 layers of parallax at 60fps.

Depends on the size of your project and the complexity of your bitmapData. 2 layers were pushing it at 800x600.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Does anyone have any recommendations for 2d physics with XNA? I think someone here recommended Farseer, but it doesn't seem to get updated very often. It's a shame that there is no direct implementation of Box2D :smith:

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Awesome, I'll give this a go. For basic 2D platformer physics, do you think this might be a bit overkill?

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

In case anyone cares, the guys at Unity have published a new tutorial which is actually really decent:

http://unity3d.com/support/resources/tutorials/car-tutorial

Anyone working on a Unity megathread? I'd love to get one going.

Hanpan fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 4, 2010

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Anyone have any idea what kind of language developing something like Super Meat Boy would be best suited to? I've seen a lot of those kind of games recently and I'm keen to know what powers it.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

haveblue posted:

I think SMB started out as a Flash game before it was remade for Xbox. Any of the major languages can do a 2D platformer, but Flash is probably faster and easier for that specific sort of game.

Yea the prototype was a Flash game from what I remember. I'm just wondering what they actually used for the final production because its really solid.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

So I'm trying to find a decent 2D engine / framework to learn that is capable of creating games like Super Meat Boy or Dustforce. I'm avoiding XNA because I want to be able to develop on a mac and export to multiple platforms but Pygame just doesn't have the performance I am looking for.

It seems SDL is fairly decent but is there some kind of framework that has physics, sprite management and such ready to go? I'm not sure I can stomach having to start completely from scratch.

I also looked into using Construct 1 as I've heard it's quite capable but it appears to of disappeared with the dawn of Construct 2.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Yea my main tool is Unity and I absolutely love it. That said, no matter how many plugins you throw at, it's still primarily a 3D game based engine and the workflow for 2d games is kind of daft.

Perhaps I should give Pygame another shot, it's always seemed really slow to me, kind of like how Flash games 'feel'. Does it perform just as well as SDL would? I honestly didn't realise it was just a wrapper.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Edit: ^^^^^^^^^ Woa that looks really great, just what I was looking for! Thanks.

Hanpan fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 24, 2012

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Gordon Cole posted:

Isn't SMB written in flash? Binding of Isaac is definitely flash and I'd say it's "action-y". You also don't need a dedicated IDE like FlashDevelop to write ActionScript, you can easily do it in something like TextMate.

They prototyped it in Flash and put it up on Newgrounds I believe. I think that might be why some people think it was made in Flash.

It really sucks that LOVE exposes all your code, perhaps I should spend the time learning SFML as it seems pretty decent and works with XCode.

And yes, I know what Flash is capable of, I've been making games with it for years. I just want to try something new and ideally
more powerful.

Hanpan fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 25, 2012

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Hughlander posted:

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I'll throw my hat in the ring with my latest favorite... LibGdx

Hey, just wanted to say that I ended up giving this a go and it's loving awesome. I like how similar it is to Processing and Canvas (if you choose it to be, that is) and how easy it is to integrated with Tile Map Editor. I wonder if there is any way of getting it to work with XCode, I never really liked Eclipse on Mac.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Not sure if anyone here can help me. I've been playing around with libgdx and having a whale of a time. I've never really used Box2D and I'm trying to figure out how to handle "triggers" (I think they are called "sensors" in Box2D?) for when my player colliders with pickups.

I want the pickups to have bodies as I need them to collide with the environment but what I'm trying to do is make it so when the player collides with them (who is also a body), an event will fire before any collisions are calculated so the player can walk through them without a hitch.

I -think- what I am suppose to do (from what little I can gleam from blogs and such) is attach a sensor fixture to the body of my pickup game object which hopefully will fire a collision event before anything is calculated. Can anyone confirm if this is the right way of doing things?

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Thanks for the help. It sounds as though I was on the right kind of track and it certainly seems to work ok. Kind of annoying having to attach a sensor to each pickup but whatever. For reference, I found this post to be particularly helpful in configuring Box2D collision layers: http://www.aurelienribon.com/blog/2011/07/box2d-tutorial-collision-filtering/

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Does anyone know if it's possible to listen for Box2D collisions using libgdx? I have an object with a sensor body attached and I want to be alerted to any collisions that happen on that particular body. I love libgdx but the documentation is awful at best.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

So I'm to work out how to handle game entities, such as objects, monsters, etc. Currently, I have a XML file that I am using to construct my level geometry and I want to use it to load the other entities too. An example node might look like this:

code:
<GameObject className="SomeMonster" id="some-monster" x="100" y="100" />
When loading the entity into the game, would it be best to try and resolve objects by the "className" using reflection (like Class.findName in Java?) or have a singleton Hashtable with a reference to all my entity classes? Perhaps there is a even better way that I am neglecting?

Sorry, I'm a retard. I am using Java with Libgdx
\/\/\/\/\/\/

Hanpan fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 28, 2012

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

mmm11105 posted:

Does anyone know of something XNA like (provides good easy to use 2d graphics functions, native code, hardware accelerated, good programming language), but that works cross platform (specifically on mobile(iOS, Android))?

I've been looking at 2d libraries for unity, but they kind of seem like overkill for what I do. Unity almost does do much for my tastes.

I'd also like to stay away from flash based stuff(not an actionscript fan).

Someone in this thread turned me onto LibGDX and I've since become a convert. It ticks all the boxes for 2D game dev and after battling with Unity for ages, it just feels so good to use a 2D specific physics engine.

The documentation is pretty lovely but if you don't mind digging around, it's a very rewarding engine to work with. It definitely supports to Android and I -think- there is a wrapper out there for converting the applets to iOS but I may be wrong.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Are there any shader buffs itt? I'm struggling to find an answer to what I'm hoping is relatively simple problem.

I'm basically trying (in Unity) to create a shader that flattens anything beneath it. The goal is to create a plane that acts as a sheet of water inside of an isometric environment. Playing about I managed to create the inverse of what I want, but nothing I seem to do inverts the effect:

Is there a generic term for this type of shader? It's hard to research when you have no idea what you're looking for!

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

OneEightHundred posted:

For this type of thing, you only need depth test, and the problem in this case is probably that the depth test is the reverse of what it should be.

Obsurveyor posted:

If I understand correctly, one way to do it would be to set the stencil buffer when you render the water. Then you render the objects with a two pass shader, one for stencil pass, one for fail. When it passes the stencil comparison, your object shader does its normal thing. When it fails the stencil comparison, you render red(using your example) or whatever. You'll also need to make sure you render your water before the other things in your scene. The stencil buffer is Pro only until Unity 4.6.

Hmm - I guess the issue here is going to be making it work on mobile.

Feel like I must be missing a trick here, or at least the terminology to describe what I'm after, because you see this kind of thing quite a lot in games like Fez and Monument valley.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Obsurveyor posted:

Maybe you should try describing what you're after again. It sounded to me like you wanted to show some kind shadow for the object under water instead of its actual color.

Basically this exact effect:

http://imgur.com/mfn5Q0O

See how the water turns the building a flat colour? That.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

dupersaurus posted:

Do you really need a shader to do that? Not that shaders aren't cool, but you could do the same with unlit geometry set to some color.

I'd like it to be a shader, as not shown is how the water level rises and falls.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Anyone have any idea how to go about creating water "foam" where the water intersects with geometry? Monument Valley did it really well:

Considering the water moves up and down and the effect still stands, I'm assuming it's done with one of the following:

a) Some kind of shader that uses a camera depth texture or something to detect intersections
b) An script that detects intersections and draws a foam mesh around the edges
c) Spooky voodoo magic

I've spend ages scouring but can't seem to turn up much. Anyone got any thoughts?

Hanpan fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Shalinor posted:

Ho ho I'm smart.

Both sound good. I've got to get this thing running on mobile so I guess it comes down to whichever method performs best. I'll see if I can figure it out and post the results for science.