Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
In school we read this sci-fi short story anthology (which may have all been Ray Bradbury, I remember we also read his The Veldt). One of the stories was about a guy living in a room which had wall-sized TVs, and he was excited about maybe getting all 4 walls turned into them. I think there was something about social class-based TV channels, and his social class wasn’t supposed to watch the upper class channel, but he snuck a look at the end.

I tried Googling for this, but all I found was someone else looking for the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

wizzardstaff posted:

That sounds like it could be Fahrenheit 451 which is notable for its full-sized "parlor wall" TV screens. There is a character who wants to upgrade from three to four walls.

I'm not sure if Bradbury used that device in a short story as well, though. Wouldn't be surprised if he did.

I’m now wondering if I’ve pushed two stories together. I looked up F451 and found the 4th TV wall passage, but nothing around it looks familiar at all, and we definitely didn’t read the full book.

The bit about class-based TV might be another story then? Different TV channels based on your social status, a visitor comes by this guy‘s place, guy later on checks the upper class tv channel (even though he shouldn’t) and finds the visitor was part of a prank show on there making fun of the lower classes (him).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I loved those sorts of books. They were so evocative of space as this huge empty place with mysteries abound. Galactic Tours is a very similar sounding book about holidays in space you could take, operated by Thomas Cook (who actually went bust in 2019).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

I want so badly for this to be true

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

Z For Zacharia by Robert C O'Brien?

It’s definitely this.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Iirc those 2 love triangle dudes are Idris Elba and Chris pine so, yea if you gotta be stuck choosing between two dudes, that will not be an easy decision.

Chiwetel Ejiofor, not Idris Elba. It’s still a hard choice, so I’d just have both. We’re a throuple now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The one thing about the Jaunt I remember aside from the ending is the icky bit when the dad thinks about his daughter going through puberty and his first thought is of her getting breasts. :cripes:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gambrinus posted:

Repost from a few years ago. It's not The Drowned World

I read this around 1999-2000.

Post-apocalyptic book set in England. I remember flooding down Tottenham Court Road (in London, I was living close by there at the time, so it stuck with me), and some fella (the bad guy?) on an abandoned cruise ship.

There was a scene towards the start when a woman was about to be impaled vaginally on a pole, and the narrator shot her in the head to spare her that. I think one of the lads impaling the woman had the remnants of a police uniform on.

Bad guy may have called himself Jesus.

Pretty sure the book was written in the first person.

Also I think the narrator had a brother

Was it James Herbert’s ‘48?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s not this, but it put me in mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDRdGEJMu0s

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Penny Arcade’s Automata?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I want to say the third word is Review.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Rural Juror

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’ve just realised the black shape is probably a gun.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

God I tried searching The New Revolutionary last night, because I wondered if it was a split word, but didn’t get that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Dwayne

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Blimey, there's a lot of n-word usage in there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They stole that from Ed, the Happy Clown,

Oh wow, I’ve not thought about that book in a long time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

This absolutely sounds like the plot of Avatar half remembered.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

This has all just reminded me of the Usborne Puzzle Adventures, which were very similar in ilk by the sounds of it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

People did this at Action Park in the tank dodgems that shot tennis balls.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I mean, Clarke’s Law is literally ‘Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.’

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

GD_American posted:

OK, got one for y'all.

British sci-fi novel

Set on a microplanet, like extremely small (maybe 50km diameter)? with its own atmosphere, because of some neutron star remnant at its core (or something on that order)

Settled only by a Hispanic (Portugese?) family.

Humor is somewhat Douglas Adams-ish but toned down, although the plot ends up being fairly absurd.

Overall world setup is that humanity had a war with AI, won, and banned any kind of AI, it's thought that they're still out there (a la the Battlestar Galactica reboot) rebuilding and looking for vengeance, and it turns out they're right

Leader of humanity who won the war is named The Dictator and was overthrown and is missing

There's one crazy old man on the planet that the family has occasional dealings with, and it turns out he's The Dictator

Earth sends some huge cube there that turns out to be a prison for a psychotic, impossibly powerful psyker named Father Christmas (or something similar).

I don’t think it’s this, but I can’t help but think of E.L.V by Nick Nielsen.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They're Made Out of Meat by Terry Bisson?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

BattyKiara posted:

The bright circles are coins. Or the memory of money. It is a warning to not reinvent capitalism

That is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Invisibles go back in time and visit the Marquis de Sade? He ends up coming back with them to the present day.