Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Two IDs for you detective

1) During the Destination Saturn thread in GBS some people mentioned a character from a Kurt Vonnegut book who's basically a hack science fiction writer who spends his days writing mediocre stuff similar to the one in the thread, anyone know which book that is?

2) I believe a goon mentioned a cyberpunk novel similar to Snow Crash where in the future everybody is named after the company they work for (ie Nike). I remember looking it up on Amazon but I've forgotten the title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

When I was in kindergarten the teacher showed us a bunch of pitches by an author, not even short stories, but pitches they made. They were kinda spooky, one was about a woman who was gonna carve a pumpkin but it would get brighter when she got closer. Another story was a house taking off like a rocketship I think

there were more but that's all I remember

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

chernobyl kinsman posted:

The Mysteries of Harris Burdick, by Chris Van Allsburg. Reprinted in 2011 as The Chronicles of Harris Burdick, with the illustrations/pitches turned into full short stories by Stephen King, Lemony Snicket, Gregory Maguire, et al.

thanks

any particularly good ones that were made

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

wizzardstaff posted:

Dangit, this was finally one I knew and someone beat me to it.

In 4th grade our teacher had us all pick our favorite picture from that book and write a short story about it.

Come to think of it K was too young. What state you go to school?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

nope

wonder if it was like, a teacher thing going around

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Horror anthology I saw in the 90s

It wasn’t Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark but was like it. Spooky tales some with drawings. Not as gruesome but spooky still

The only one I can remember is there’s one about a woman whose driving and spots a hitchhiker at night and she’s like awww hell no and keeps driving past him

But then she sees him again. And again. And again. Until her car starts dying and all of a sudden he’s holding a knife. Iirc it ends by not saying what happens but jumps to later another driver picks up a woman or a man and a woman and implies that she was the original driver. Iirc the new driver gets killed or winds up dead

I think the drawing was a hitchhiker. Creepy guy in a jacket or trenchcoat

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ripley posted:

Stuck with covid and nothing better to do than read TVTropes entries - this one from Beware Of Hitch-Hiking Ghosts sounds close to AlanSmithee's description:

hmm. The year of publishing seems to line up too. Can't seem to find any images of the drawings though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

uvar posted:

There's copies on archive.org but you'll probably need an account to view the whole thing - https://archive.org/details/railwayghostshig00cohe/page/20/mode/2up?view=theater

gently caress me that's the one

idk how archive works but when i saw it originally it only let me see cover to cover, but i guess since you shared it? Still only lets me see your link and covers

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Hope it doesn't end like Guts by Chuck Palahniuk

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Trying to remember the name of a cyberpunk novel that heavily featured the SF bay area and bike couriers. It was near-future, had current day (90s? 00s?) technology and featured phreaking. I remember an excerpt about going down a hill and timing all the lights to green so they can make it in one go.

I'm reading Virtual Light right now as it was suggested but it isn't it. Virtual Light is interesting in its own right but it's too futuristic to have been this one.

ARe you sure it wasn't the movie Hackers?

Maybe a novelization of it?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

so im thinking of a spooky tale, might be from an anthology book, would have read it when i was in the 90s (yes im really old :hurr:)

the tale was about a guy who had to stay in a spooky house or something, might have been for a prize or some other reason. I think it was something like 3 nights? First night he's in the bedroom or living room or idk and some pallbearer guys come in with a casket and leave or stay. He opens it and sees a body so for whatever reason warms him up by the fire iirc, not sure if it was instinctive or he was instructed to. Corpse man wakes up and sits upright and is like "now im going to strangle you!" and guy is like "wtf man i warmed you back to health" and knocks him back dead somehow. The pallbearer guys then return and take the casket back out thus completed night 1

can't remember the others

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Fuuuuuuuck, this sparked a memory in me. It appears to be an old German fairy tale. Hope this helps!

drat the details were exact. I do recall the cats wanting to play a card game too now though not the second tale. For some reason I didn’t think I ever read brothers Grimm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I thought it was a movie but maybe it was a book?

Alan Smithee posted:

Just watched Napoleon and was reminded of a synopsis I read once. I’m honestly not even sure if it s a movie or a book but it was about a French soldier under Napoleon’s army who became a straggler or deserter and was trying to make it home on enemy territory. I want to say Russia but even that seems hazy.