Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Lord Stimperor posted:

Someone told me to ask this here, so here it goes. Feverdream or movie?

I never watched it or I forgot but something like Iron Eagle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Lord Stimperor posted:

Someone told me to ask this here, so here it goes. Feverdream or movie?

Doesn't quite match up, but just to get it out of the way: The F-16 scene in Jewel of the Nile

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

I'm looking for a movie from the 80s or 90s. It was made in Eastern Europe and I think it's about a detective in a seemingly utopian world who is actually a serial killer.

Could it be Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
OK to piggy back on to Lord Stimperor's question about Hot Shots era spoof comedies... what movie ends with Charlie Sheen seemingly offering a hand shake to his rival, but fakes him out and keeps his hand going up to run it through his hair?

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Not sure how tough this will be:

Film release date: last five years, I think 2020?
Film genre: Thriller
Plot: Family hires Iraq vet as bodyguard/caretaker, he's got some PTSD issues and it gets weird/scary
Film is supposed to be good, ultimately it's just a home invasion riff but the guy who plays the retired soldier is convincing and effective, it's somebody like Gerard Butler?
I think the film title is one word and I think it begins with "C"?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
It sounds like The Guest, but that's from 2014

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
There’s a Joaquin Phoenix movie called You Were Never Really Here that’s got a very similar plot to this. Came out in 2017. I never saw it, but it’s supposed to be very good.

Edit - He’s trying to track down a kidnapped kid on behalf of a client, so maybe not it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The Card Counter ticks some of those boxes.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

westborn posted:

Doesn't quite match up, but just to get it out of the way: The F-16 scene in Jewel of the Nile

Alan Smithee posted:

I never watched it or I forgot but something like Iron Eagle?

Nope, but brought me on to the right track! I had been searching for hours and even debated with chatgpt who was permanently but confidently incorrect. Eventually I stumbled on a movie list and deep down I found it.

It was Into The Sun (1991). Comedy action movie about an actor who is teaming up with a fighter pilot for movie research. They have to eject over a mysterious middle eastern country, get captured, and escape from their prison. That's when they both squeeze into the jet.

Apparently it's not a very good movie but it has some lovely flight footage which is why it must have stuck with me when I was a kid. Also I read that a lot of the footage is cribbed from other movies, which is lol but if it works whatever.

So with that I have proven to myself that I did not dream that up, it wasn't Hot Shots but it was a thematically similar comedy movie that is just very unpopular. I'm not crazy!

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Coaaab posted:

It sounds like The Guest, but that's from 2014

Origami Dali posted:

The Card Counter ticks some of those boxes.

It is neither of these, but I just took another stab at tracking it down and found it: Disorder. More like eight years ago, sorry bout that. Thanks for lending a hand!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

Also I read that a lot of the footage is cribbed from other movies, which is lol but if it works whatever.

Iron Eagle apparently lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lord Stimperor posted:

Nope, but brought me on to the right track! I had been searching for hours and even debated with chatgpt who was permanently but confidently incorrect.

Crossposting from a discussion in another thread:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's been noticed that generative AI is gradually getting worse over time and the quality of results is degenerating, most likely because the databases they're pulling data from are slowly accumulating higher percentages of AI created content so there's a feedback loop of all the old lovely AI outputs contributing to the creation of even shittier AI outputs down the line. This doesn't just effect art but also AI's ability to 'solve' math problems, write workable code, etc etc which are also degrading over time.
Here's a paper about it if anyone wants to dive into it a little deeper: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/gena...ofile_like_view

So yeah, ChatGPT currently gives a lot of wrong answers and it's likely to get even worse in the near future

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Just watched Napoleon and was reminded of a synopsis I read once. I’m honestly not even sure if it s a movie or a book but it was about a French soldier under Napoleon’s army who became a straggler or deserter and was trying to make it home on enemy territory. I want to say Russia but even that seems hazy.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Lord Stimperor posted:

It was Into The Sun (1991). Comedy action movie about an actor who is teaming up with a fighter pilot for movie research. They have to eject over a mysterious middle eastern country, get captured, and escape from their prison. That's when they both squeeze into the jet.

Damnit, I saw that not long ago and didn't think of it. Unfortunately, it's pretty forgettable to everyone but you, apparently. : )

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Alan Smithee posted:

Just watched Napoleon and was reminded of a synopsis I read once. I’m honestly not even sure if it s a movie or a book but it was about a French soldier under Napoleon’s army who became a straggler or deserter and was trying to make it home on enemy territory. I want to say Russia but even that seems hazy.

This is ringing some bells for me... picturing the dude hiding out with a family in a little cottage, and falling in love with a woman who lives there or nearby. I feel like my movie was more WWII-era, but could be wrong. I'll keep searching my brain for it.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

If it's WW2 rather than the Napoleonic Wars, it could be either As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me or The Way Home.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Napoleonic is just about the only detail I’m positive about

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Alan Smithee posted:

Napoleonic is just about the only detail I’m positive about

Barry Lyndon? There’s the part where he deserts and has to move through Prussian lines.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Gripweed posted:

Barry Lyndon? There’s the part where he deserts and has to move through Prussian lines.

Everyone always forgets about the 7 Years War. :(

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Xiahou Dun posted:

Everyone always forgets about the 7 Years War. :(

They did the French and Indian war in Europe too????

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Probably not since I feel like the Kubrick thing would have been the most prominent part of the synopsis. Starting to think maybe it wasn't a movie

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Sinking in that this is something you read, not film you watched. So, Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge? (Maybe you read the actual story, a synopsis of the story, or a description of the film of the story)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'm still positive it was Napoleon times

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

FitFortDanga posted:

This is ringing some bells for me... picturing the dude hiding out with a family in a little cottage, and falling in love with a woman who lives there or nearby. I feel like my movie was more WWII-era, but could be wrong. I'll keep searching my brain for it.

I just realized I was thinking of the ending to The Grand Illusion, which is WWI.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Alright, need some help with a silly one.

In what movie(?) does a guy look at the camera and say in Spanish (sorry for any mistakes) "Me llamo El Venga de Burro. Yo tengo mas grande verga de todos!" (my name is Donkey Dick, I have the biggest dick of all)"? Emphasis on "todos", probably a thumbs up with it too. Feels like it might have been a Jackass movie or even some TV show, but it will not leave my brain until I find it

Manos99
Mar 17, 2009

VROOM VROOM posted:

Alright, need some help with a silly one.

In what movie(?) does a guy look at the camera and say in Spanish (sorry for any mistakes) "Me llamo El Venga de Burro. Yo tengo mas grande verga de todos!" (my name is Donkey Dick, I have the biggest dick of all)"? Emphasis on "todos", probably a thumbs up with it too. Feels like it might have been a Jackass movie or even some TV show, but it will not leave my brain until I find it

Think that's from this fake commercial right here:

Everest College Commercial - Hood Variant

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yJl0XuDKSjc

Actor might sound familiar if you play GTAV

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Oh thank god, I am free (to play the Everest College commercial on loop 5 million times)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

This was a Black List script, probably from about ten years ago, got mentioned on a podcast and I've always wondered if it ever got made in any form.

quote:

"Frisco: A fortysomething pediatric allergist who specializes in hazelnut and is facing a divorce learns lessons in living from a wise-beyond-her-years terminally-ill 15-year-old patient when she crashes his weekend trip to a conference in San Francisco."
Only thing I see on IMDB that could match is just this that only says "in development". I'm just curious what the gently caress that could possibly look like.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
This is not exactly a movie, but it's adjacent. Does anybody remember going to the theater 30+ years ago to watch a Disney movie, and after the previews (or maybe before?) there was this countdown thing on the screen with Mickey and his rotating arm (similar to those old Mickey watches) that was supposed to give you time to buy concessions or whatever before the movie started? It stands out in my brain because I remember all this griping and complaining from the people around me about how dumb and frustrating this thing was, and it did seem to go on forever (in my admittedly hazy recollection). I don't know what movie I was trying to see and I don't think I ever saw the Mickey timer again. Was this just something at my local theater?

artsy fartsy fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 18, 2023

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Alan Smithee posted:

Probably not since I feel like the Kubrick thing would have been the most prominent part of the synopsis. Starting to think maybe it wasn't a movie

The Raggedy Rawney? Though I suspect you'd've mentioned the whole "dressing as a girl" thing if that was the case.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Runcible Cat posted:

The Raggedy Rawney? Though I suspect you'd've mentioned the whole "dressing as a girl" thing if that was the case.

very positive it was Napoleon times. Like the only thing I'm sure of

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I'm vaguely recalling a movie from the 60s-70s where a spy is on the run from his own government, and at some point has to go to a physical telephone interchange building and is rewiring the physical wires to eavesdrop/sabotage/do something else.

I thought it was Three Days of the Condor, but it isn't. Any ideas?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I haven't seen 'The Conversation' for a while, might be that?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Torquemada posted:

I haven't seen 'The Conversation' for a while, might be that?

I'm 95% sure it isn't the Conversation, Blow-Out, or Klute. My 'memory' is of a guy in the physical switchboard area of a telephone exchange and moving wires around.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cable guy?

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

trevorreznik posted:

I'm vaguely recalling a movie from the 60s-70s where a spy is on the run from his own government, and at some point has to go to a physical telephone interchange building and is rewiring the physical wires to eavesdrop/sabotage/do something else.

I thought it was Three Days of the Condor, but it isn't. Any ideas?

I don't like to second guess but are you 100% sure it's not Three Days of the Condor? Because there absolutely is a scene like you're describing in it:

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

I don't like to second guess but are you 100% sure it's not Three Days of the Condor? Because there absolutely is a scene like you're describing in it:

Yes! Thank you! I'd gone through a bunch of youtubes looking for it, but not the whole movie. Should have stuck with my gut

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

Yeah, I was also gonna hesitantly say this. I rewatched it recently and a scene exactly as you describe is the climax.

Are you sure it’s not 3 Days of the Condor?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah, I was also gonna hesitantly say this. I rewatched it recently and a scene exactly as you describe is the climax.

Are you sure it’s not 3 Days of the Condor?

I thought it was early on and not at the end, which is probably how I missed it. It popped into my head because a few friends and family have lately had to deal with spoofed phone call scams and I was bemoaning that Back in the Day people had to physically go move wires around. Upon further watching I was probably thinking of a slightly later scene when Condor splices together the phones in Brooklyn to avoid being traced.

Thanks everyone!

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i was in cspam nitecrew chat once and there was a clip from an old black and white movie, had sound so I want to guess either just before the war or post war, but it had a young boy who was commie/marxist giving a lengthy speech about the govt or capitalism (may have literally been on a soapbox) and an adult man was...trying to get a word in edgewise? Or he was just really shocked or idk. It felt kinda played for laughs.