Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I got the refurbed W1070 for $799 (Canadian) and have been pretty happy with it. By comparison the 131Xe is over $1,000 on amazon.ca. The black level and shadow detail leave a lot to be desired, but I basically think any projector under $2,000 will leave me with that feeling. I sunk more money into a screen rather than the projector, so down the line when 4K projectors are out and the projectors that are $2K now are then worth $1K, maybe I'll get one of those then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
The input lag difference between the W1070 and the HD25 is really small -- like, 24ms on the W1070 and 17ms on the HD25. Neither one is bad.

The HD25's times should apply to the HD25e, HD25LV, and HD131Xe as well. They're all the same projector with various bells and whistles added/removed.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Anyone of you HD25LV owners upgraded from an older Optoma? I have an HD65 and I'm thinking about gettting my 1080p on but all reviews of the HD25LV mention fan noise and I'm wondering if it's about the same or more as my HD65 (which is at the upper end of the 'acceptable' scale). I'd quite like to go with Optoma again since is has the same offset and I can just bolt it on my existing ceiling mount, whereas the other alternatives I had a look at had no offset which would mean lots of trapezoid correction when mounted on the ceiling. How bad is that for picture quality anyway?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Keystone is terrible for picture quality. Terrible. The main advantage of using a 1080p projector to display a 1080p signal is that there's no scaling happening anywhere. When you enable keystone, you lose that 1:1 pixel map advantage and there's no way to get it back, ever. So yeah, don't do that.

If the other option you're talking about is the Epson Home Cinema 2030, you could use an extension tube with your ceiling mount, but I personally like the HD25LV better anyway.

The HD25LV isn't any louder than the HD65 if I'm remembering right -- it's been a few years since I saw an HD65 but I remember it being fairly loud. Also since the HD25LV is so bright, use Eco mode and fan noise drops quite a bit.

Malderi
Nov 27, 2005
There are three fundamental forces in this universe: matter, energy, and enlighted self-interest.
Just upgraded to the Viewsonic PJD7820. $700 for 1080p 120Hz (3D-ready!) at 3000 lumens, both rated and measured. This thing is bright as hell and looks absolutely gorgeous, although my point of comparison is the BenQ 620p from 7 years ago at 1024x768. Input lag measured as sub-one-frame, so between the brightness and input lag it is perfect for gamers that want a huge screen. Very happy with it so far.

Pod
Jun 15, 2003

Okay I'm looking to upgrade to a new projector and I'd appreciate some input!

I have a budget of around £1,000 but am woefully under-educated on the current market (my last project I bought at the start of 2010).

Is there any current consensus on the best models around that price range? I'd like 1080p and 3D I suppose, and my throw distance is around 11-12ft.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
I don't know UK prices, but I will say that if I had a thousand bucks and wanted 1080p 3D, I'd be looking hard at the BenQ W1070, Optoma HD25e, and maaaaaybe the Epson Home Cinema 2030. If you don't need the 3D, look at the Epson Home Cinema 8350 or 8345.

What's your setup look like? How's the lighting?

Pod
Jun 15, 2003

King Hotpants posted:

I don't know UK prices, but I will say that if I had a thousand bucks and wanted 1080p 3D, I'd be looking hard at the BenQ W1070, Optoma HD25e, and maaaaaybe the Epson Home Cinema 2030. If you don't need the 3D, look at the Epson Home Cinema 8350 or 8345.

What's your setup look like? How's the lighting?

The W1070 is a recurring recommendation and I'm currently leaning towards it based on reviews such as: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-1000-projector/

This also gets similarly good reviews: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optoma-HD131X-Full-1080p-Projector/dp/B00BCHCPNK/ref=pd_cp_rec-ht_2

Lighting isn't ideal - it's my living room so there are windows a-plenty, though if I draw the curtains it's not too bad. It's not too big of a concern for me though as I primarily use it at night anyway.

Pod fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 5, 2013

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I'm not sure about the throw distance of the other recommendations, but around 10 feet isn't very much room. The W1070 is a good choice because it's a short throw projector, meaning you can get a big picture without having to mount it 15-20 feet away from the screen. Mine's mounted about 10.5 feet from the screen (from the screen to the tip of the projector) and I have a 115" screen.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I've got a backyard cinema with a preexisting 35mm set up that I'd like to add a digital projector to. As the screen is already built and sized for the film projector's lenses and throw I don't really want to change them. I know most digital projectors come with a zoom, is there a calculator anywhere that can give me the range of the zoom given the throw length.

In my case the throw is 8m (26ft) and the screen is 3.5m (11.5ft) wide in cinemascope aspect 2:35:1 [1.5m high, 3.8m diagonal]

I would say that any projector that fits the below would be pefect:
  • Does not need to be new, actually used is probably better (cheaper)
  • Insanely bright
  • Cheap replacement lamps
  • At least XGA

Also what's happening with LED light sources. I've looked into a few ways to replace the film projector light source and it seems like there's still a way to go here.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Fatal posted:

Looks like the Optima 131Xe is the new budget projector king, $800 on Amazon with a $50 amazon gift card, here's the AVS thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484644/optoma-hd131xe-hd-1080p-2500-ansi-lumens-3d-home-theater-projector-sub-800-new-budget-king

It's basically just a HD25e with a black body and different name. People have even flashed the HD25e firmware on these guys.

W1070 is also a great contender right now but it's $900, has a shorter throw (good) but a bit more input lag (bad) for gaming.

After about a month with this guy I'm going to try and return it. RBE is just too much for me, especially with video games, white cross hairs are the worst. Thinking of going towards the Epson 2000 since its of a similar class/price.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
That sucks, sorry to hear that. Rainbow is the biggest downside to DLP and not everyone sees it. At least now you know to never buy one again.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Fatal posted:

After about a month with this guy I'm going to try and return it. RBE is just too much for me, especially with video games, white cross hairs are the worst. Thinking of going towards the Epson 2000 since its of a similar class/price.

Depending on what kind of games you're playing, the Epson might not be great either. Input lag is really absurdly high on their 3D projectors.

The BenQ W1070 has a 6x color wheel which might help you out with rainbows. I don't know what the Optoma models have because Optoma chooses not to disclose that information. Which is crap, but whatever.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Fatal posted:

My HD131XE just arrived yesterday. I un-boxed it with glee and set everything up hoping that I won't notice the RBE. First power on, vertical white lines in the image with no inputs connected.
So disappointing, but I RMA'd it already. Anyone else seen quality issues with this model?

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

King Hotpants posted:

Depending on what kind of games you're playing, the Epson might not be great either. Input lag is really absurdly high on their 3D projectors.

The BenQ W1070 has a 6x color wheel which might help you out with rainbows. I don't know what the Optoma models have because Optoma chooses not to disclose that information. Which is crap, but whatever.

From what I've read switching it to fast processing brings input lag down to ~30ms from 100 in cinema mode which isn't too bad.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Fatal posted:

From what I've read switching it to fast processing brings input lag down to ~30ms from 100 in cinema mode which isn't too bad.

I have the Epson 5030ub - this is true. In fast mode, with FI off, it is measured at 37ms. I play BF4 on mine all the time, it's fine.

Snaxxor
Jan 18, 2005

cool giraffe with
cool sunglasses
Can anyone reccomend me a decent projector?

Only requirements are....

HDMI in
Native 1080x720 or higher

In the super budget $350-$500 range please. Does not need to have all the latest bells and whistles (whatever those may be), just really need it to have HDMI in to keep it simple. Girlfriend's mom is getting me something nice, and i'd rather it be something nice I can use for years.

Eventually I would like this to end up in my bedroom and upgrade to a four figure projector for the living room in another year or two.

Refurbished etc does not matter, just not looking to buy straight used.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8526295&CatId=4257

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8526295&CatId=4257

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2ZZ18K9879

Particularly eyeing the last one. Unless anyone has any suggestions, probably going to roll with that one.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Snaxxor, I bet you can find an Optoma HD66 for less than $500 if you look hard enough. That's what I'd buy.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Like if you were to end up here for example.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Any projections on when the 4k stuff will hit sub 10k?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
4K is going to be expensive for as long as the industry can get away with it. It's a high-margin item right now, and all of the manufacturers have an interest in keeping it that way for at least a little while longer, especially since 1080p prices have collapsed so dramatically and nobody gives a poo poo about 3D anymore.

My guess is you'll see 4K for $10K by early next year. The Sony VW600 just came out at $14,999 and Sony has always priced themselves a little higher than some of the other manufacturers.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Once everyone starts dumping their Blu-Ray discs in favor of whatever new 4K media comes out the way everyone did with their DVDs for Blu-Rays. There's really no reason for Joe Schmoe to buy a 4K TV, so they'll remain a niche product until then and the prices will remain high. Just MHO.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
My guess is that 4K happens mostly over streaming or download. Netflix and Amazon both talked about streaming 4K at CES last month.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

What is the timeline for replacing arclamps with leds?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
That's a good point too. Has Netflix started adding any movies in 4K? All I've heard from either Netflix or Amazon is that their original series will be available in 4K, which is not many.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Spazzle posted:

What is the timeline for replacing arclamps with leds?

No idea.

Right now, pure LED isn't bright enough and LED/laser can't match the color performance of arc lamps. Most manufacturers aren't going to market something as a home theater projector if they know the color is bad.

I think we probably would have seen LED home theater already if it weren't for the economy taking a poo poo the way it did. When times get tough, giant companies start avoiding risk. Development and rollout of a new light engine (that also incidentally kills their accessory sales as people don't need lamps anymore) qualifies as a risk. I'm sure we'll start seeing some progress in this field again soon.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not to thrilled at the idea of physical media disappearing since the quality is apparent on a projector. I'm also sure isps will start clamping down on data caps or just throttle such services as it seems like those consumer rights are about to disappear. I'm speaking as one with a 100mbs connection with no apparent limits at the moment. I used to have uverse years ago and it was painfully obvious that they throttled youtube but wouldn't admit it. Luckilly I had an alternative option. Can't say the same for others.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 16, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nearly all the movies made in the past 12 years or so will never be available as anything other than upscales to 4k anyways since they were all done with 2k DIs. Even the majority of the movies made today are done with most of the mastering work done at resolutions lower than 4k.

I can understand wanting a 4k projector to reduce screen door effect, but it's best if everyone doesn't think about content for a good long while. We won't have a blu-ray standard till the end of this year and even then I don't see studios rushing to support it in their releases since that will be yet another SKU they have to put on shelves.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just FYI the PS3 branded IR Active shutter glasses are $9.99 at Canadian Best Buy.

If your projector doesnt do IR like the Optima HD33 there are emitters available. I bought 6 pairs of glasses to replace my lovely Xpand DLP glasses.

I now have 4 Xpand glasses up for sale. I don't like their stupid batteries.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

How big wil 4k movies be? at least 100GB?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
1080p from Netflix uses about 5GB per hour, a little less actually. For a two hour movie, that's about 10GB, which is roughly what an encode of that would be if you downloaded it, depending on who did it. Streaming 4K from Netflix eats up 18-20GB per hour, so you're looking at around 35-40GB for a two hour movie if you're streaming it or downloading an encode of it.

I think I read that x265 encodes cut the file size almost in half compared to an x264 encode, so if a 4K movie was 40GB in x264, it would be around 20-25GB in x265?

I'm just guessing here, but I think that would be in the right ballpark.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's netflix. I would expect sizes of 4k blu-rays to be quite a bit higher, but it's hard to say until they decide on specs.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The 4K tv's in store, with the 4K demo's... What are they using as storage and players for that media ?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

jonathan posted:

The 4K tv's in store, with the 4K demo's... What are they using as storage and players for that media ?

Depends on the brand. The Sonys are using their own FMP-X1 players which utilize eyeIO compression. No matter the demo, it's some sort of proprietary source with hand picked content.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good 120" manual screen that would be better than Elite Screens offerings, but less than probably $700? The room has pretty high ambient light during the day but is completely dark at night. I'm also using an Optoma HD25-LV if that matters.

pb468
Apr 17, 2003
Pillbug
Hi,

Could I get a recommendation on a projector for a small room please.

the screen size will be 120cm diagonal, in a dark room, and the maximum distance the rear of the projector can be from the screen in 2.45m. I'm looking to use it for mostly tv / movies and a few games.

I'm not looking to spend more than £500 if possible so i was looking at this: http://www.richersounds.com/product/projectors/optoma/hd131xe/opto-hd131xe , which i can find for £499 ex demo. are there any better options?

thanks.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!
Is there a reason why so many projectors in the $1000 range are such short throws? It just seems so much more convenient to have the projector in the back of the room, where all of the other components are (receiver, Blu-ray player, set-top box, etc.), rather than having the projector mounted on the ceiling closer to the screen, and having to run so many wires to it. However, with the exception of the Epson 8345 and 8350, that be BenQ and Optoma projectors all tend to have too short of a throw that the image would end up being too big with the projector in the back of the room. Is there any general tendency for short throws to give better image quality than long throws, or is it just that unlike me, most consumers actually prefer shorter throws?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Maybe more people want bigger screens these days and budget projectors are becoming less of a niche product, so people are putting them in rooms that are maybe not a dedicated theater so they don't have 15-20 feet of room to work with? In my old place I had a $3,000 Panasonic projector that needed around 17' but in my new place that wasn't possible. I had to sell it and went with a $800 BenQ that gives me a 115" screen at 10-11 feet.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

pb468 posted:

Hi,

Could I get a recommendation on a projector for a small room please.

the screen size will be 120cm diagonal, in a dark room, and the maximum distance the rear of the projector can be from the screen in 2.45m. I'm looking to use it for mostly tv / movies and a few games.

I'm not looking to spend more than £500 if possible so i was looking at this: http://www.richersounds.com/product/projectors/optoma/hd131xe/opto-hd131xe , which i can find for £499 ex demo. are there any better options?

thanks.

I'm guessing you mean 120 inches and not cm? 120" at 8 feet seems crazy, is that possible? Using the calculator you're looking at a 60-70" screen with that projector at 8' not 120". For 120" you should be over 14' away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
I was just in Yodobashi Camera when I saw they had put one of their demo units up for sale. It was the Epson MegaPlex MG-850HD and it had a new bulb in it. I didn't know anything about the projector before I saw it in the store but some quick googling told me the specs were pretty good. They were selling it for $399. Anyway I snagged it because I didn't think it would sit around long. How did I do?

• Locked thread