Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Good for the price I suppose, but if it was me, I'd have spent a little bit more on something that was 1080p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

bull3964 posted:

Nearly all the movies made in the past 12 years or so will never be available as anything other than upscales to 4k anyways since they were all done with 2k DIs. Even the majority of the movies made today are done with most of the mastering work done at resolutions lower than 4k.

I can understand wanting a 4k projector to reduce screen door effect, but it's best if everyone doesn't think about content for a good long while. We won't have a blu-ray standard till the end of this year and even then I don't see studios rushing to support it in their releases since that will be yet another SKU they have to put on shelves.

Netflix is already streaming 4k content (House of Cards) and I'd expect more and more content to be finished in 4K or better moving forward. We may be approaching the resolution limits of what people can notice, but 1080p is not there yet. And 4K is definitely noticeable for text and PC gaming, for those titles that support it (planetside :argh:)

Anybody have a guess for how long until 4k projectors are less than $2500?

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat.
So I have pretty similar requirements to this post.

Looking for a cheap projector to play local co-op console games on, and to watch movies occasionally. My price range is about £200-£300 ($350-$500).

I saw that the previous poster was recommended the Optoma HD66, however they don't seem to sell those in the UK. So I was wondering if anyone had any other similar suggestions that I could then try to find in the UK.

I would also like to know if getting a 800*600 projector is worth it (for playing 4 player split screen games / movies), or should I really just save up and get at least a 720p native resolution projector? It is a very noticable different between the two of them? I don't plan on using this projector much, just when I have friends round.

Edit: Possibly something like this http://www.ebuyer.com/395348-infocus-in116-2700-ansi-lumens-wxga-projector-in116

Gavinvin fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 21, 2014

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, I'm assisting my bar in getting a projector. We have a very tiny budget to work with. We're looking at getting a projector & portable screen (so we can move it inside or outside on the patio) for about $400 total. Just looking to throw some sports games up for customers and have some movie nights. So, what's the absolute best bang for buck can I find with this very small budget?

My local craigslist:
http://littlerock.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=projector&sort=rel

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
I'm looking at buying:

Projector: Optoma GT1080 projector

Screen: Elite 106" motorized screen

For my new home theater. The reviews look good - anyone have any reasons to not go with those makers and models?

What I'd really love is advice on 3d glasses; I wear glasses already and was wondering if any of you could recommend decent active shutter glasses that work well over glasses and would be compatible with the Optoma.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Anyone got a good recommendation? Just checking out the options now for the first time, and there's no fleshed out OP to tell em what to buy.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Cheekio posted:

Anyone got a good recommendation? Just checking out the options now for the first time, and there's no fleshed out OP to tell em what to buy.

That depends on your budget, the size of your room, how much you can control the lighting, how large you want the screen to be, how flexible you are with placement, etc. I'd say the easiest recommendation is the Benq W1070 assuming an entry-level budget and a room that perhaps isn't ideal, as it's bright enough to combat reflections off white walls, has a short enough throw to work in smaller rooms just fine, and has great color accuracy that's drat near perfect out of the box. But you still need to make sure it'll work for your particular situation before shelling out the money.

etatoby
Feb 12, 2003

China makes me cry
So there is a projector thread, after all.

Question: would you buy a brighter unit, or full HD one?

Assume the price is the same:

Epson EH-TW570
3,000 lumen
720p
100 Hz refresh rate

Epson EH-TW5200
2,000 lumen
1080p
200 Hz refresh rate

Both have Epson's triple LCD technology and 15,000:1 contrast ratio. Both support 3D, which I'm not interested in. I'll mostly watch movies.

I'll use it mostly at night, so it will be as dark as I want it to be, in a small room (max 200" diagonal, probably less) so I don't really need a lot of brightness, but in the past I've always felt brightness and contrast to be the defining factors for a projector's image quality, not resolution. I'd also like to project on a white wall, unless it comes out so ugly that I absolutely have to buy a screen, and I know that walls reflect less.

That's why I'm inclined to buy the brighter one. What do you say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Hey, your terrible projector advice robot has finally followed through. We now have a real Projector Thread.

etatoby, neither of those projectors are great. Cheap LCD projectors have bad black levels and use bad auto-irises to make up for this, but the irises are so slow that you can see them work. In the absence of more information, I'm sticking to the BenQ W1070 as the Thing You Should Buy Instead.

• Locked thread